Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Beamdog might be working on a new Planescape game

Cross

Arcane
"Planescape: Unraveled", an obvious reference to the character from Torment.
Knowing Beamdog, it will probably be a prequel detailing Ravel's rebellious teenage years and her budding sexuality as a young hag.

Siege of Dragonspear's story was fanfiction-tier garbage that felt the need to mangle not just characters from Baldur's Gate itself, but also its sequel and Icewind Dale of all things. If this game is going to call back to events and characters from PS:T, as its name suggests, brace yourself for the video game equivalent of the Star Wars prequels.

Nazrim Eldrak

Scholar
More relevant perhaps that Beamdog's PST:EE rerelease sold even less than inXile's Torment.
Maybe, but as I remember right they also gave the game, under some condition(s) for free. So if many gamer already own it, then every one of them is a high potential customer...expecially if it is an expansion.
So it is highly possible that it is an expansion, right?!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tbh it's hard to imagine they would release another expansion after seeing how SoD tanked. An "expandalone" of some sort, maybe.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
f9e2e9a37b5d6b27b65affba73b7a4.jpg

Why am I suddenly feeling the need to photograph my breakfast and make blogposts about my cat ?

Fun fact. Tried to look for some trademark proof for the new game. Found nothing. But there is going to be a board game called "BETRAYAL AT BALDUR'S GATE" :)

I am not joking. Will Betrayal at Krondor+BG make a great board game?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fun fact. Tried to look for some trademark proof for the new game. Found nothing. But there is going to be a board game called "BETRAYAL AT BALDUR'S GATE" :)

I am not joking. Will Betrayal at Krondor+BG make a great board game?

Yeah I saw that a while ago on GameBanshee: http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/board-card-games/betrayal-baldurs-gate

It has zero to do with the computer game other than that it involves Bhaal.

So let's hope it is at least faithful to the Betrayal at Krondor :smug:

v1rus

Arcane
How sure are we that Gaider is writing this one?

I could even manage to manifest a glimmer of hope, unless he's the main narrative designer, or whatever is the fotm title called. Then its all gonna be...

quote-privilege-is-when-you-think-that-something-s-not-a-problem-because-it-s-not-a-problem-david-gaider-67-28-00.jpg

Worst thing about this quote is its absolute lack of reason intelligence self awareness.

Example: I think that the trend chopping youngs boys dicks is a big motherfucking problem, he probably doesnt, thus, he's enjoying sum dick-choppa privilege. You can also turn it up to eleven - I think the fact that human civilization isnt doing shit about obvious, LITERAL lizard ppl invasion (Zuckerberg, Hillary) is even a bigger motherfucking problem, he probably doesnt, thus, he's having even sum Lizardy privilege. What an absolute fucking moron.

Last edited:

Gremius

Augur
brace yourself for the video game equivalent of the Star Wars prequels.

Wait. Are we still pretending that prequels are the worst installments in the movie SW series? Even when Disney, equivalent of the Bethesda, is giving us equivalent of Fallout 3/4 from SW universe every year?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
How sure are we that Gaider is writing this one?

I could even manage to manifest a glimmer of hope, unless he's the main narrative designer, or whatever is the fotm title called. Then its all gonna be...

quote-privilege-is-when-you-think-that-something-s-not-a-problem-because-it-s-not-a-problem-david-gaider-67-28-00.jpg

Of course he'd be the lead. Who else could it be, he's the biggest name they've got.

I'm for giving post-BioWare Gaider a chance, though.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is Planescape even an officially licensed 5th Edition setting?

It was 2nd edition. Planescape was discontinued when 3rd edition came out, but many elements (like Sigil and how the planes work) have been worked into 3, 3.5, 4 and 5. Really WotC have just been sitting on the license and not doing anything with it other than denying it to Brian Fargo.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Word of caution: This could end up being content that they were thinking of adding to PST:EE and decided not to, or something like that. The Lady's Ward is an area that's conspicuously missing from PS:T's Sigil, so that would make sense. We don't know when that footage was shot.

Ocelot570

Educated
I just hope it has nothing to do with Torment. It should be it's own thing with no references to the original. If it is that then I'll be for the majority okay with it.

Fairfax

Arcane
Word of caution: This could end up being content that they were thinking of adding to PST:EE and decided not to, or something like that. The Lady's Ward is an area that's conspicuously missing from PS:T, so that would make sense. We don't know when that footage is from.
Sounds too optimistic. :negative:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
let's be real here folks, the only time Beamdog has done their own game, or closest to it, was Siege of Dragonspear which received... let's be generous and say mixed reception.

does not bode well for them tackling Planescape if they can fuck up something as simple as a BG expansion pack.

after Fallout 3 and the rape of Fallout in general I have truly become desensitized to franchise rape.

still, i choose to be hopeful. we have so much to look foward to and the drought of the 2000 decade is long past. we do not need to cling to past glories!

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
let's be real here folks, the only time Beamdog has done their own game, or closest to it, was Siege of Dragonspear which received... let's be generous and say mixed reception.

does not bode well for them tackling Planescape if they can fuck up something as simple as a BG expansion pack.

after Fallout 3 and the rape of Fallout in general I have truly become desensitized to franchise rape.

still, i choose to be hopeful. we have so much to look foward to and the drought of the 2000 decade is long past. we do not need to cling to past glories!

BeamDog obviously does not deserve the benefit of the doubt, but David Gaider does. The fact that they ditched the Dragonspear writers and replaced them with someone who can make solid games is pretty encouraging.

As for Bethesda Fallouts: yes, F3 was the greatest disappointment since David Lynch’s Dune. But if the existence of F3 and F4 is the price we had to pay to get New Vegas, I’ll take it. Better to have two pieces of crap and one diamond than no new games in the franchise at all. Ideally we’d have gotten Van Buren instead, but that was never realistically on the table.

Which is why what Beamdog’s doing is good. The game may ultimately suck, but I want more companies making isometric RPGs and if they do it in a fabulous yet neglected setting like Planescape then all the better. And I wouldn’t be so sure it will suck if Gaider’s actually at the helm.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
LESS T_T Excellent work! :salute: Let's see if this news goes mainstream.

There we go: http://www.pcgamer.com/a-new-planescape-game-might-be-in-development-at-beamdog/

A new Planescape game might be in development at Beamdog
A recent documentary about the studio may have spoiled a surprise.

Beamdog has been all-in on the great Infinity Engine RPGs for quite awhile now, enhancing them and even releasing a new episode for the one that started it all, Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear. Now, as picked out by the ever-vigilant RPG Codex, it appears that it might be working on something even more ambitious: .

The "evidence" comes out of this Storyhive documentary video about Beamdog that was released at the end of October. At the 2:37 mark is a clip of someone examining what is presumably character concept art, collected under the header faction_Fated-thumbs, which is located in a folder called Planescape: Unraveled.

The Planescape title is the obvious giveaway, but so is the reference to the Fated: It's a faction in the Planescape setting that believes, basically, that might makes right—which is why its members are colloquially known amongst bloods and bashers as the Takers. The characters depicted, according to one Codexer in the know, are of the Golden Lords, the wealthiest and most powerful of Sigil's nobles.

Setting aside the possibility that it's a Valve-style fake-out, Unraveled could be a new game or an expansion to the Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition that Beamdog released in April. Whatever it turns out to be (assuming it turns out to be anything at all), it will be a monumental and, for Beamdog, a very risky undertaking. InXile's Torment: Tides of Numenera did an excellent job as a spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment, while the original's legendary statusmeans that anything short of damn near perfection will be derided as a letdown.

(Amusing bit of trivia: Chris Avellone, the lead designer on Planescape: Torment, was involved with both Torment: Tides of Numenera and the Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition. Because of course he was.)

Even without the element of a possibly-new Planescape reveal, the documentary is a fun watch—I got a particular kick out of Trent Oster's story about its first Baldur's Gate countdown unexpectedly crushing the site seconds before hitting zero. (Coincidence or not, there's also a large Planescape: Torment poster parked behind Oster as he speaks.) I've emailed Beamdog for more information and will update if I receive a reply.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom