Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Beholders in RPGs and other media

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
When they're on the floor, are they tired?

Lukifell

Educated
There’s a “beholder” in FF Mystic Quest. It doesn’t float, but otherwise is a giant eye with tentacles

(They also ripped off Bahamut, which is D&D only, right? At least Bahamut in mythology is supposed to be a giant fish or something, not the king of dragons?)

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
1751b946c7b104214778ed8f1fe9fef0.png

These things scared me so much I used to avoid the whole place. I went back there when I was stronger and made them into my slaves.

ds

Cipher
Patron
Eyeball familiar in NwN

2023-11-21-220656.jpg
2023-11-21-224804.jpg

What other games have player-controlled beholders?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Hmmm, Mentzer companion set and uh… not sure on that other one. Could be I tyrant or even the complete slayers guide to beholders or some resource I’ve forgotten.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The D&D Rules Compendium, though having content that was merely a compilation of the first four box sets of Mentzer BECMI D&D, replaced the artwork with new illustrations by Terry Dykstra, one of which shows a beholder confronting a mage.

DD%20RC%20Beholder.png
DD%20RC%20Mage.png

There's also a third Dykstra avatar, from an illustration originally appearing in FA2 Nightmare Keep:
DD%20FA2%20Wizard.png

ds

Cipher
Patron
Avian "beholder" from Siege of Shadowdale EE:

2024-01-07-030818.jpg

Ok, a malaugrym and not a beholder at all. But it is orb-shaped, has multiple eyes and tentacles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom