Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Beholders in RPGs and other media

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Its basic stats are meh, but it's (piss-poor) melee attack is automatically preceded by the application of several magical "eye beams:" one causes fear, one is save-or-die, one is automatic damage that can't be ameliorated by anything, and one turns the target to stone. Most targets won't leave long enough for the actual melee attack to come into play.

It could quite possibly take out an entire army of melee units single-handed, assuming the enemy doesn't have high-level heroes. Goes down to concentrated archer fire in a jiffy, though.
Pity, some of these gaze attack were bugged as hell an never worked.

Dramart

Learned
dsg%20(4).jpg

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Thank god someone didn't cobble together a bag of "one-eyed willies" (a bag of dicks)

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I just found this on twitter, the only thing I would do with needle and thread is hurt myself accidentally
Monster Lore check: Malboro from Final Fantasy.
Yes, the original Final Fantasy actually had a beholder monster, as mentioned earlier in this thread, but the name and appearance were changed in the American port for fear of a lawsuit from TSR. The Marlboro (likely influenced by the Otyugh as well as the Beholder) was introduced in Final Fantasy II, with concept art by Amano, and then appeared in several later Final Fantasies.

latest
latest
Madoscar.PNG

Malboro_%28Final_Fantasy_VII%29.png
Malboro-ffix.png
FFX_Malboro.PNG

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I'm currently creating a dedicated thread but it's a straight The Bard's Tale clone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom