Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[BENCHMARK] Linux run games faster than M$ spyware/bloatware.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Benchmark in 10 games - Linux on average 17% faster

Benchmark in the monkey game :

A comment in video above :

kodemasterx said:
That was the case with Elden Ring DLC, my friend has a 4080 runs Win11, the game would stutter every 2 secs, meanwhile my 3080ti on Ubuntu the performance was rock solid... Funny how translated instructions run better when you don't have a BLOATED OS.

A guy tested M$ spyware/bloatware in SteamDeck

At 4:00 - It is running like dogpoo
At 7:46 - Hitman 3 benchmarks - 34(Linux) x 19 FPS(M$ spybloatware) on average

Last edited:

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Ive generally found better performance in one regard or another, I think the lack of perception of Linux as more performant is probably due to the heterogeneity of "Linux" - one user can have a distro that gets fantastic performance and Another can have a dogshit setup. Various things can contribute or detriment performance, e.g x11 vs Wayland is supposedly as much as ~11% difference.

I personally had a lot of annoying driver issues with mint and then absurdly bad performance and crashes on nobara, once I switched to endeavoros and learned my way around wine/proton it's been smooth sailing ever since.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yep. Each distro is very customized and has a niche. For example, many people love Arch Linux. I didn't liked it. Because my IRL luck stat is very low, so if things can go wrong, they will. My dosbox stopped working from nothing, and I lost my M&M IV: Clouds of Xeen save. A update broke the nVidia driver. Another update makes Chrome stop working. VScode, Docker, QMake, everything that I need to work also suddenly stop working. I only used it because everyone at work was using it. I like Debian because things just work and nothing breaks. If I want to deal with instability, I would be using M$ spybloatware.

Wayland doesn't work for me. I'm using X11.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
the seven games that run on linux do run faster

ProtonDB has 16,230 verified or playable games. In my steam library, only 4% of my games borked. Some games like Jade Empire, I can't run in M$ spybloatware but can easily run in Linux. M&M VII from CD(not from GoG) too. Runs perfectly in Linux and can't be run in M$ spybloatware.

Odoryuk

Educated
I'd rather have a bloated OS that is easy and comfortable to use than using Linux tbh, just let Linux run your internet as god intended

Necrensha

Educated
Ever since switching to Linux to the only game that gave me trouble was fucking Serious Sam 3 since the native port it's complete garbage.
You're wasting your time by the way, it will be easier to convince a horse to tap dance than to dispel the impossible-to-use memes around Linux.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
that is easy

Linux is much easier to use than M$ spybloatware. For example, to install Yuzu in my debian, I can just type "apt install Yuzu," and that is it. Or use Discover to download it; If you don't want to use command lines. With more professional stuff, Linux allows you to automate stuff much more.

It only takes 200 hours and programming socks to get the games to run on Linux.

Nope.

Everything needed to install games is automated with a very friendly UI in some distros, like Garuda Linux. If you want to run Elden Ring, you just open Garuda Gamer, select Steam, it will download and install Steam, then you go to settings, compatibility, and enable steamplay for all games. You can also install a lot of emulators with a single click. The UI bellow :

BIep03o.png

And many games outside of Steam have scripts, making their installation fully automated in PlayOnLinux and Lutris.

it will be easier to convince a horse to tap dance than to dispel the impossible-to-use memes around Linux.

Yep. TBH Linux was much less noob-friendly about 2 decades ago.

Nowadays, unless you go Arch/Gentoo/LFS, you will not have a hard time.

About Serious Sam 3, try to force proton usage via clicking in proprieties and compatibility.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I still hit the top performance needed so a theoretical better performance is not all that useful for me. Not to mention that I mostly play old games or indie games so it's not like it matters anyway.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
yeah, the seven games that run on linux do run faster
Ive yet to come across a game that doesn't work on Linux through either wine or proton.
It only takes 200 hours and programming socks to get the games to run on Linux.
I literally add the game to lutris, install any necessary libraries which is faster and virtually afk unlike shitdows, and then launch the fuckin thing. Occasionally I might need to select a different runner or set a switch.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ive yet to come across a game that doesn't work on Linux through either wine or proton.

BF1. Was running fine, but now, Electronic Farts added a Kernel level anti cheat and I can no longer run it. Is the unique game that I miss in Linux.

Not to mention that I mostly play old games or indie games so it's not like it matters anyway.

I also play mostly older games and indies and running Jade Empire in Linux is much easier than in M$ spybloatware.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
X11 is faster supposedly. Im not sure why Wayland is being pushed, I've yet to see a compelling reason to switch.

Wayland is more modern and made to work better with features like multiple monitors. X11 is a tech from 1984 adapted to work in modern systems. I will keep using X11 for a time, till Wayland improves. IMO, Wayland will be better in some years, till them, I will be using X11. Just like Pipewire improved a lot in audio and now is more used than pulseaudio.

What is great about free software is that if you don't like something, you can fork and make ""better"" for your needs. For example, people who didn't like Gnome 3 direction made MATE. I'm more a KDE guy. TBH never worked professionally with GTK, only made some very simplistic programs using it for hobby alone, used GTK+ and GTKmm. Qt is more used outside of the open source community. QMake is so good that is magical.

This sounds like a reason to never install anything from EA ever again.

Yep. IMO BF1 was the last decent thing that they did.

Inec0rn

Literate
Are you suggesting security is better on Windows? because that is definitely not true. For a start the target platform for any drive-by malware is definitely Windows (most payloads would fail outright even trying to execute in in a Linux environment). Also typically Linux user's half know how the OS works and can therefore properly manage a local firewall, local listening ports, local services, software installations (that are technically vetted and only come from official repositories).

Of all the OS's I've used, Windows is by far the most convoluted with it's inconsistent UI, area's still suffering poor UX, debug logging is inconsistent and in a lot of cases completely useless. I mean the go-to fix for most people is just format everything.

On a technical level though I can't think of anything Windows does better than OSX or Linux, logging, service management, scheduling, software installation or updates, performance. What does it do well? work out of the box and allow non-technical people to easily use a computer.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Is Valve still pushing for Linux compatability on games and engines?
IIRC the one wizard they had working on their Linux distro is now patching up the Steam Deck full time.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
now show me any online multiplayer games. Oh wait...

Sure. Some MP games like LoL, BF 2042 and etc has kernel level anti cheat and you can't run this types of games. So yes, Linux is not better to run every type of game than M$ spybloatware.

But look this >

Yes!!!

And improved a lot. When I started to use Linux in Debian 6 times, there was no vulkan, very few games in playOnLinux, no native steam support, installing nVidia driver was hard, I had dual boot and honestly was not gaming much in Linux. Now, I only have M$ spybloatware installed in a spare HD to the case that I need to work in .NET. And I don't boot into it in about 2 years.

Inec0rn

Literate
IIRC the one wizard they had working on their Linux distro is now patching up the Steam Deck full time.

Yes, the Steamdeck runs Archlinux, i think with KDE for the desktop GUI and Valves own app for the user-friendly UI. They are not seperate things. The Steamdeck as a hell of an achievement, they've made a Linux product palatable the average joe gamer (I've noticed a lot don't realise its just a Linux distro). If they keep it up there's an opportunity for them to comeback to the desktop OS or console concept if they want.

There are certainly a hell of a lot more native Linux builds for games today than 10 years ago. Anything not covered typically runs at acceptable performance through Proton/Wine.

Don't understand the guy calling out multiplayer games, they run fine too? (Then I'm not that interested in gen-z MP games these days).

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Don't understand the guy calling out multiplayer games, they run fine too? (Then I'm not that interested in gen-z MP games these days).

Some MP games can't be run in Linux. BF1 was running fine last month, this month, there was a EA APP update that borked the game at least for me. LoL, Fortnite, Destiny 2 and many other titles can't be run in Linux due anti cheat.

Other games like bf3/4, arma 2/3, battlebit, etc works fine in Linux. MMOs like wow, eq 1/2, ultima online works also fine in Linux.

EDIT : Seems like GTA V no longer works in Linux

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom