Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[BENCHMARK] Linux run games faster than M$ spyware/bloatware.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
I bought a Linux laptop after getting violently angry at windows update for the 1000th time in my life. There's something about an object making demands of me that causes my blood to boil. I expected it to be a giant headache because you listen to Linux people talk and it sounds like a bunch of 1990s hacker movie nonsense but I find that It's pretty much the same as windows except less annoying. Do recommend.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I expected it to be a giant headache because you listen to Linux people talk and it sounds like a bunch of 1990s hacker movie nonsense but I find that It's pretty much the same as windows except less annoying

Yep. If you want to use Linux as a "basic everyday user," you can. If you want to use, like, a "1337 h4x0r," you can. Most people very passionate about Linux are the second type. One distro, Gentoo Linux, comes only with sources and it's up to you to compile everything. The main advantage is that you have everything optimized for your machine. The disadvantage is that installing it takes an eternity, requires you to understand a bit about how Linux and computers work and any noob can make a mistake and botch everything. Here is a quick guide > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation

Meanwhile, Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, and other distros are as easy to install and use as Windows and Mac OS X.

Inec0rn

Literate
Well yeah i don't care to play any of those games. Cheat dev's have zero issues bypassing those kernel level anti-cheat, your're essentially just installing corporate spyware with root access to your machine, im sure they use the data ethically :D.

ds

Cipher
Patron
Ever since switching to Linux to the only game that gave me trouble was fucking Serious Sam 3 since the native port it's complete garbage.
It's a perfectly adequate port. It's just that it was made before Vulkan so performance depends on how shit your OpenGL driver is.

Play using the Serious Sam Fusion engine version instead, which uses Vulkan:

Okay, now show me any online multiplayer games. Oh wait...
Most multiplayer games run just fine. What doesn't run is some of the newer live service crapware that wants to shove you into centralized matchmaking and thus needs pervasive anti-cheat malware. If you want to run those then you get what you deserve.

Necrensha

Educated
Play using the Serious Sam Fusion engine version instead, which uses Vulkan:

I did try Fusion. It worked flawlessly... but it would randomly crash every 10 minutes regardless of settings.
And SS3 was completely playable, it was just annoying to have unexplainable fps drops on certain areas.

Gerrard

Arcane
Oh, but you can use Linux without knowing how to navigate websites or extract archive files. :lol:

Melcar

Arcane
The best all around distros I have used when it comes to games have been Ubuntu based and Fedora, in terms of stability and performance at least. OpenSuse was okay too. The worst were Arch distros, but that could have been a temporary wrinkle in mesa packages. I think one would be fine with most distros that package a fairly updated mesa and has easy access to third party programs/libraries/codecs that are usually a must when dealing with games. A lot of "gaming" distros are nothing special since they just come with some game related applications preinstalled. Most of them don't have any real optimizations for CPUs and GPUs.

All of my old games I run with wine staging with dxvk where necessary. A few are a bitch to get working, mostly due to old 32bit libraries and fuckery like that. At that point I either look for source ports or just buy "EE" versions of the game that are almost guaranteed to work on modern software.

For more modern and heavy games I just use Steam. Proton pretty much guarantees a game will work. Now, I don't engage in degenerate online multiplayer homofaggotry or any gay shit like that, so for me Proton works 99% of the time.

a random repository and everything breaks.
Interesting. Never had that happen with wine.
I had WINE update and it made anything that use it go very slowly despite having powerful enough hardware. Felt like I was playing everything in slow motion. Also, pulseaudio kept shitting itself at inopportune times. Once my distro updated and a critical part for samba prevented the distro from booting, I cut my losses, decided to stop using the computer in question, and now plan on using Windows 11. While I can jump to another distro and spin the wheel again, I'm tired of fiddling with Linux shit for the time being. There is potential, but things need to be ironed out.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ubuntu I don't recommend because snaps.

About a update that made everything very slow, you can easily downgrade the version, is much easier to do it in Linux than M$ spybloatware.

In about two years that I used arch, happened dozens of times for me. Each update and something, somewhere broke for me. This is why I love Debian, is the perfect distro for people with low LUCK stat IRL.

Inec0rn

Literate
Ubuntu I don't recommend because snaps.

About a update that made everything very slow, you can easily downgrade the version, is much easier to do it in Linux than M$ spybloatware.

In about two years that I used arch, happened dozens of times for me. Each update and something, somewhere broke for me. This is why I love Debian, is the perfect distro for people with low LUCK stat IRL.

This is not the fault of the OS though sir, this is the fault of a users understanding of the OS, supporting software and configuration. I guess it depends how much software you load on there, I always go lightweight and never use KDE or Gnome based desktop environments. I don't have 'breaking updates' using it over a decade.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
always go lightweight and never use KDE or Gnome based desktop environments. I don't have 'breaking updates' using it over a decade.

Is not only KDE stuff. KDE only broke one time, everything else in other hands, qmake stopped working by no good reason in arch, dosbox too, even VLC media player stopped working one time. Seriously, if I want to deal with this BS, I would be using M$ spybloatware. M$ loves to push stupid updates that breaks stuff.

I want to install my OS, configure everything that I need for work and entertainment and don't touch anything for years. I don't want to be constantly fix broken stuff. Imagine that I need to "cash out" of every crypto ASAP for eg, in M$ spybloatware or in Arch, the chances of I being unable of doing it because something somewhere broke by no good reason are high. In Debian, are virtually non existent.

ghardy

Educated
I want to install my OS, configure everything that I need for work and entertainment and don't touch anything for years. I don't want to be constantly fix broken stuff. Imagine that I need to "cash out" of every crypto ASAP for eg, in M$ spybloatware or in Arch, the chances of I being unable of doing it because something somewhere broke by no good reason are high. In Debian, are virtually non existent.
Yes. When I was young, I was far into the "Linux is l33t" cave. I used to run Gentoo and Arch (back when Arch had an installer), compiling my kernel and stuff.

Later I tried OpenSuse, but it was... weird. I thought to try Mint, until I realized that it's a house of cards depending in many ways on both Debian and Ubuntu. So I went to Debian directly.

Today I run only Debian and Fedora.

Necrensha

Educated
Y'know, 99% of all distros are pointless, they just save you like 30 minutes of installing stuff yourself.
This was my first problem back when I wanted to do the switch: people would recommend Ubuntu, Pop!, Mint, Debian, Fedora, ''just'' learn to install Arch, trolls would recommend Gentoo/Nix, etc.
This is most obvious initial problem with Linux: too much division, too many slightly different choices, too many ''protest'' distros like Mint, Artix, Devuan, etc
When I first tried Mint, I had no idea what the hell was the difference between a normal package, a flatpack, or why I was supposed to hate snaps, it doesn't say anything about that in the actual OS.
I really don't understand why there isn't a community-driven Linux wiki where all this stuff is easily explained, instead of having to comb through a hundred different forums every time you need to find a command or the name of some stupid package.
To clarify: I don't have these problems, I'm talking about the initial experience of most people.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
This is most obvious initial problem with Linux: too much division, too many slightly different choices, too many ''protest'' distros like Mint, Artix, Devuan, etc

That is inevitable in ANY very popular open source project. Someone, somewhere, will not like a component and will make a different flavor of Linux with a different component. But I think that this is a good thing, not bad. For example, the Russian military uses Astra Linux. They made a distro tailored to their needs.

Some people hate that you have like 20+ desktop environments to choose from only to have a graphical interface, but I honestly like it. If KDE becomes bad, I can use Gnome, MATE, LxQt, LXDE, and many other DEs. You have very heavy DEs full of resources like KDE. KDE is so heavy that it eats almost a quarter of the RAM needed to run M$ spybloatware. Meanwhile, LxQt allows you to have the UI below with roughly 300MB of RAM.

K3se2jt.png

Which is less RAM used than M$ spybloatware XP.

It only takes 200 hours and programming socks to get the games to run on Linux.
Oh, reminds me of playing games on MS-DOS.

Just the way as god intended. No gaming for retards.
Gaming decline is directly proportional with more gaming becoming accessible to the masses.

We can't have more games like Daggerfall thanks to it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom