Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[BENCHMARK] Linux run games faster than M$ spyware/bloatware.

Melcar

Arcane
Yeah, Valve needs to make it easier to get into and modify proton profiles, but I can see why they wouldn't want to make it too easy. You can finagle a bit with launchers like Bottles and Lutris, but it's a bit convoluted compared to just being able to open a file browser and go directly to the target folder.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I was thinking of making an "automation" program to make it easier to install mods in Linux, similar to how QtProtonup works (https://www.davidotek.net/posts/protonup_qt/), but instead of automatically installing proton-GE, automating installing mods in games on Linux. Detecting if the mod changes a DLL that wine wouldn't load without some parameters for eg. Detecting case sensitivity problems and also solving it automatically. I wouldn't do it because I know that people will destroy their steam installation doing stupid shit and I don't want to work as "tech support," let alone do it for free. They will contact me everywhere and not leave me alone if I make a program like this and distribute.

I'm sure that this is the reason why nobody did a "QtModUp" till this day. Installing mods in Linux in most cases is not something hard to automate.

ind33d

Learned
you're telling me that valve can sell a handheld linux PC at a loss but the government can't make bridges that don't collapse or planes that don't fall out of the sky? steam deck is handheld proof that we're on a prison planet run by satan who is torturing us for his own amusement

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Fwiw the only trouble modding games I've had on Linux is the *Linux* versions of infinity engine games and this appears to be because while people make Linux weidu installers they apparently don't care to respect the case sensitive context of Linux. Various workarounds but I think it may just be easier to run the windows versions under wine.

Otherwise modding for every other game has worked pretty much the same as it does on windows. Occasionally a launcher or installer might need wine to execute properly.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
I ran mint in a VM a few years back ot try and grok linux, didnt get far and it was more of a toy, was using an android OS more frequently than it so that idea fizzled out, my build last year I installed Nobara a month or two before steam killed support for windows 7, made it a dual boot with a fresh Windows 10 install, figured why learn one new OS when I can get frustrated with TWO! I think I logged into Windows a half dozen times before it shat itself with an error and I had already repurposed the thumbdrive installer I used and its been about 9 months since that happened. There has been a few times ive ran into a wall and persisted in finding a workaround, had to edit a few .pdf's and found a program for that. Havent ran into anything I cant completely figured out but things havent been breaking enough to force me to learn. Some games dont run, some need a workaround, should probably learn how to properly use it but ive had a bit of a slump and most things just work so. Might have to try a proper grown up distro next to force me out of my comfort zone

I find the case sensitivity of Linux to be a massive detriment and something that aggressively holds it back from more mainstream adoption. Whatever value it allegedly brings, it's not worth it.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I find the case sensitivity of Linux to be a massive detriment and something that aggressively holds it back from more mainstream adoption. Whatever value it allegedly brings, it's not worth it.
don't care to respect the case sensitive context of Linux.

Linux is based on Unix. BSD also have case sensitivity. M$ spybloatware is the exception to that rule. About the tool to automate modding, lower casing the files in the directory where the mod is and in the game could solve so many problems and is trivial to automate.

I made a quick Python script; I barely had to write 30 lines of code (https://pastebin.com/1aACUp8v). You can just run with python 3 <file.py> and just paste the location of the place that you want to convert everything to lower case, and everything there will go lower case. To fully automate the mod installation, I just need to make it work recursively with folders inside the mod folder and do the same with the game folder. I could automate the stuff needed to make over 95% of mods work in Linux in a few hours of work, not only lower casing the files but also detecting if I need to make wine override some stuff. I wouldn't do a program to do it because I don't want to be free tech support for people that will destroy their machines, IDK how.

Inec0rn

Literate
You know tab autocompletes anything you run, and quote allow you to name anything you like anyway you like? odd complaint to me. Binaries should never use a capital letter, ever. I think this is standard on Windows too unless retard dev.

Pretty much every OS outside Windows functions the same way with the Unix philosophy, it's architecturally the odd one out. I also wonder how the fuck MS manage to have such terrible UX/UI when they are in control of all things UI/UX, wtf is this shit and why 50 years later is it still here and getting worse?

windows-10-cohesiveness-1.jpg

Last edited:

Semiurge

Cipher
For the M$ spybloatware users that are curious about Linux. I don't recommend a full switch. Do you have a very old computer collecting dust? Install a easy to use Linux distro there only to see how things are. Wanna test in your main machine? Dual boot it. So you don't need to fully commit to Linux.

Old computers are plentiful, but do they have the kind of hardware that would still be relevant for your learning experience? My backup PC has a 700-series Gayforce, which just went legacy and isn't supported by the newest proprietary legacy driver anymore, and nouveau will always be useless outside of desktop programs. And yet, it doesn't even support modern desktop composition effects.

There may be a way to install the older legacy driver, but most likely I'd have to downgrade the kernel as well, so fuck it.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Old computers are plentiful, but do they have the kind of hardware that would still be relevant for your learning experience? My backup PC has a 700-series Gayforce, which just went legacy and isn't supported by the proprietary legacy driver anymore, and nouveau will always be useless outside of desktop programs. And yet, it doesn't even support modern desktop composition effects.

There may be a way to install the older legacy driver, but most likely I'd have to downgrade the kernel as well, so fuck it.

Check here, the legacy driver for debian 11 > https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Version_470.129.06

I would recommend Debian 11 with KDE for such old rig. Just be warned. You will be limited to Proton 7. Proton 8/9 requires Vulkan 1.3 support. So you wouldn't be able to play lets say Lords of The Fallen, nor New World. But for older games, should run fine. I'm using Debian 12.

Semiurge

Cipher
Old computers are plentiful, but do they have the kind of hardware that would still be relevant for your learning experience? My backup PC has a 700-series Gayforce, which just went legacy and isn't supported by the proprietary legacy driver anymore, and nouveau will always be useless outside of desktop programs. And yet, it doesn't even support modern desktop composition effects.

Check here, the legacy driver for debian 11 > https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Version_470.129.06

I would recommend Debian 11 with KDE for such old rig. Just be warned. You will be limited to Proton 7. Proton 8/9 requires Vulkan 1.3 support. So you wouldn't be able to play lets say Lords of The Fallen, nor New World. But for older games, should run fine. I'm using Debian 12.

Yeah it looks like the 470.xx drivers are the last to support Kepler GPUs, which the 700 series is a part of. Some distros might not include that anymore and instead offer 49x.xx as the legacy driver, I think Ubuntu might be one?

I would recommend Debian 11 with KDE for such old rig.

It has a i5 3570K so it should have enough power for running basically any distro. It's a former Windows7 machine that was upgraded to Windows 10, with no negative impact on performance.

deama

Prophet
How do the benchmarks look like if you compare to a properly tuned/configured windows installation?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yeah it looks like the 470.xx drivers are the last to support Kepler GPUs, which the 700 series is a part of. Some distros might not include that anymore and instead offer 49x.xx as the legacy driver, I think Ubuntu might be one?

I can't say about Ubuntu. But I know that Debian is quite used for very old HW and works fine. But for Ubuntu, I found this ( https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gami..._to_install_nvidia_driver_340_on_ubuntu_2204/ ) is in detail how to install, is a old topic so IDK if will work or not.

Only that you will lose the most recent protons due the lack of Vulkan 1.3 support.

How do the benchmarks look like if you compare to a properly tuned/configured windows installation?

You can do the same to Linux. Valve Steam deck comes with a lot of optimizations and the result, runs a M$ spybloatware game with almost twice the performance of the M$ spybloatware.

At 7:46 - Hitman 3 benchmarks - 34(Linux) x 19 FPS(M$ spybloatware) on average

Gerrard

Arcane
Tested on a Ryzen with the Windows "bug" that fucked their performance. :lol:
Pathetic penguincucks.

deama

Prophet
You can do the same to Linux. Valve Steam deck comes with a lot of optimizations and the result, runs a M$ spybloatware game with almost twice the performance of the M$ spybloatware.
Yes but the bloatware on linux is a lot less than on windows, there's even a cpu core isolation that is auto enabled on windows 11 that lowers cpu performance by like %10 for amd.

My point is, there's plenty of windows optimization tutorials on youtube and guides on forums, there's even dedicated images created by communities to get rid of most if not all the bloatware on windows, it takes more work, but I doubt the performance is gonna be that significant if you compare a good version of linux and a good version of windows.

I myself did a similar comparison where I've collected game optimizations for like a year for linux doing research here and there, then last year, when I built the new computer, installed linux with all those, and I still got worse performance than a clean install of windows 10, I think it was 5-10% worse or so, so not that big of a deal, but it's there.

ds

Cipher
Patron
Linux can't run Lossless Scaling :(
If you just want integer scaling, Proton has it built in via WINE_FULLSCREEN_INTEGER_SCALING=1. For FSR and other shaders you can use gamescope. Otherwise, cnc-ddraw and dgVoodoo work as normal provided you set the required WINEDLLOVERRIDES (the cnc-ddraw config utility will offer to do that for you).

deama

Prophet
Linux can't run Lossless Scaling :(
If you just want integer scaling, Proton has it built in via WINE_FULLSCREEN_INTEGER_SCALING=1. For FSR and other shaders you can use gamescope. Otherwise, cnc-ddraw and dgVoodoo work as normal.
lossless scaling recently implemented frame interpolation going up to 4x which I think works well, especially for less latency sensitive games.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
but I doubt the performance is gonna be that significant if you compare a good version of linux and a good version of windows.

I don't that is the case because among the supercomputers, Linux runs ALL of the 500 most powerful supercomputers in the world ( https://itsfoss.com/linux-runs-top-supercomputers/ ), there are people all over the world working hard to optimize Linux. Meanwhile, M$ is fully committed to DIE ideology and is hiring diversity hires to work in their system.

If you compare the performance of early DXVK with modern DXVK, modern DXVK is multiple times more powerful. Meanwhile, Windows is becoming less and less powerful while Linux and Linux gaming tools are becoming better.

ghardy

Educated
Meanwhile, M$ is fully committed to DIE ideology and is hiring diversity hires to work in their system.
I not as sanguine on this point. I'm often in a despondent mood seeing the vigor and vim that the ideologues bring to FOSS, breathing fire and doom on existing projects.

Necrensha

Educated

Meanwhile, M$ is fully committed to DIE ideology and is hiring diversity hires to work in their system.
Oh boy, nobody tell him about:
-Suse devs calling ''rotten flesh'' to anyone that doesn't wave the LGBT flag
-Transformers infiltrating the Nix project, permabanning everybody then handling a resignation letter to the owner and he actually signed it
-The Gnome Foundation hiring an actual shaman and making her a manager for some time...
-Red Hat making a ''Here's why white people suck ass:'' presentation
-Several members of Debian being banned for discussing the rainbow flag
And much more than I'm forgetting about...

gooseman

Educated
yeah foss would be a lot cooler if their mentality wasn't just "copy paid stuff but worse" (not as much of a problem, but it happens) and they need some safeguards against transgenders and other narcissistic psychopaths (and corpos) hijacking everything. unfortunately in this world only autistic people work for free and they have very little free will and are easily manipulated. there are also spergy type autists who resist narcissist mind tricks, but they just get character assassinated, like stallman.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom