Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

best edition for inexperienced players?

Alphard

Magister
i have only once played 1 short campaign of 4e with two of my friends, first and only time i have played D&D , and absolutely loved it.
i want to start another campaign with different people but all have never played the game. what's needed to start and what's the best Ed to play both short and long term?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
i have only once played 1 short campaign of 4e with two of my friends, first and only time i have played D&D , and absolutely loved it.
i want to start another campaign with different people but all have never played the game. what's needed to start and what's the best Ed to play both short and long term?

The easiest to learn, most popular, and hardest to fuck up edition is 5e. It's not what Codexers prefer, but it's by far the most widely played currently (since it is the current edition).

It has a bunch of balancing issues and other gameplay flaws, but homebrew will fix that.

You'll need the basic books to get started, but I'm sure there's plenty of quickstart guides online that will help you learn the game.

Welcome to the hobby! It's great when you can find a good group.

It's mostly an excuse to get drunk.

Mortmal

Arcane
5e cause its easiest to both learn rules and find people , plenty of other systems but they are sadly ignored and you better already have a perma group.

Norfleet

Probably the original D&D. Every edition since then has made things increasingly complicated and the power gap between an optimized build and some half-assed thing that a noob would tthrow together has widened. Thus, the older the edition, the harder it is to fuck up your build.

catfood

AGAIN
Don't waste your time with the official DND crap. Better to try a retro clone that is specifically tailored for new players, such as Swords and Wizardry Continual Light: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/223909/Swords--Wizardry-Continual-Light

The rules are very easy to learn and it's very easy to create a character. The book only has like 50 or so pages written in a large font, but it actually contains everything that you need to play. It even has an adventure at the back.

If this is TOO simple for you group you can also try out something like Basic Fantasy RPG: https://www.basicfantasy.org/

Every BFRPG book and supplement is completely free too.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
You can't go wrong with any of the six editions of Dungeons & Dragons, though some are more expansive than others and some more coherent than others:

1st: Original D&D, by Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, consisting of the three "little brown booklets" sold together starting in 1974. There were three optional rules supplements --- Greyhawk, Blackmoor, and Eldritch Wizardry --- plus Supplement IV: Deities, Demigods, and Heroes, which was a precursor to Deities & Demigods / Legends & Lore but didn't really contain new rules.

2nd: Eric Holmes' "blue book" D&D in 1977 consisting of a single, relatively short booklet with rules only up to 3rd level. Two adventure modules were published for this version of D&D.

3rd: Advanced Dungeons & Dragons by Gary Gygax with three core rulebooks: the Monster Manual released in 1977, the Players Handbook in 1978, and the Dungeon Masters Guide in 1979. TSR published adventure modules beginning in 1978 (about 100 total for AD&D 1st edition), two World of Greyhawk setting books (the brief Folio in 1980 and the lengthier box set in 1983), and moved heavily into campaign setting material in 1987 starting with the Forgotten Realms box set and Dragonlance hardcover book. A few optional rulebooks were published, starting with Unearthed Arcana in 1985 (not counting the earlier Fiend Folio and Monster Manual II with additional monsters).

4th: Moldvay/Cook B/X D&D in 1981 consisting of the Basic Rules and Expert Rules, with covers by Erol Otus. The Basic Rules were a somewhat more expansive revision of Holmes D&D, while the Expert Rules took players up to level 14. Supposedly intended to conclude with a third rules set that was never published. Adventure modules continued in the B line and began in a new X line.

5th: Mentzer BECMI D&D, published starting in 1983, consisting of five box sets with covers by Larry Elmore. The 'Red Box' Basic Set was similar to Holmes and Moldvay Basic but much lengthier with a drastically revised presentation, and the 'Blue Box' Expert Set was similar to the Cook Expert Rules. The third 'Green Box' Companion Set took characters to level 25 and included rules for dominion rulership and mass warfare, among other things, while the fourth 'Black Box' Master Set took characters to the maximum 36th level with rules for questing for immortality. The final 'Gold Box' Immortals Set provided a new set of rules for playing as immortals that was almost divorced from normal D&D rules. Beginning in 1987, a series of Gazetteers were published detailing the various countries of the Known World, followed by a few campaign setting box sets and other material. A 1991 Rules Cyclopedia compiled the rules from the first four box sets, while a 1992 Wrath of the Immortals box set replaced the Gold Box rules for immortals with new ones. The B and X adventure module series continued, while others were initiated with higher level material in the CM, M, and IM lines (about 60 adventure modules total for the non-advanced versions of D&D).

6th: 2nd edition AD&D by David Zeb Cook, a revision of Gygax's AD&D, released in 1989 again as a set of three core rulebooks but with the Monster Manual hardcover book replaced by a Monstrous Compendium contained in a binder. Most of the AD&D campaign setting material was published for 2nd edition AD&D, including the new Spelljammer, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Al Qadim, Planescape, and Birthright settings. There were also a voluminous amount of optional rules --- 15 Complete ____ Handbook's, 8 Dungeon Master's Guides, 7 Historical Reference Books, and many more --- plus a vast number of adventure modules (about 150 total) and other material until TSR went bankrupt in 1997.

Most groups freely adapted material from other versions of D&D/AD&D into whichever one they were ostensibly playing, including rules modifications.

deuxhero

Arcane
Anyone has any recommendations for sci-fi games?
Star Wars The Roleplaying Game (WEG's D6)
Star Wars The Roleplaying Game Saga Edition
Mutants and Masterminds 3e (power armor, gadget geniuses, and aliens are all classic hero archetypes, and the system works well for soft sci-fi in general)

Last edited:
Anyone has any recommendations for sci-fi games?
Heavy Gear. The system's fairly simple (Silhouette), the setting does not require massive info-dumps (it draws inspiration from the US Civil War, and from Armored Trooper VOTOMS, which is in itself derivative of pop culture phenomena of its time, such as Dune or Vietnam War films), and it's got mechs!

Edit: I didn't get laid with two girls many years ago, when I was 19, because I was too damn drunk for my own good and started singing praises for Heavy Gear, so please, do not let that sacrifice have been in vain.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Last edited:
FritzedProcess is it this one? https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/2683/Silhouette-Core-Heavy-Gear-Miniature-Rules
Or this one? https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/983/Silhouette-CORE-RPG-Rules-Deluxe-Edition

Two q's:
- Does anyone have this pdf? I found the Traveller on z-lib, but this one eludes me.
- Is there any place on the internet where these old systems can be played with others and tested first hand? Or am I fabulously optimistic to even ask this?
It's neither, actually. The first one is the miniatures games rules (which, come to think about it, used to come as an appendix in the RPG core book, or at least they did on the Spanish translation), and the second one is the generic version of the game's system (which is fine if you want something GURPS-like, but less complicated).

This is the one you want:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/produc...-Heavy-Gear-Rulebook-1st-Edition?cPath=73_122

Or this one, but they charge 5 dollars extra just because it's the second edition; I don't know if it's worth it, they had a metaplot going in the sourcebooks since the 1st edition and I guess it continues in the 2nd:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/produc...evitalized--Rulebook-2nd-Edition?cPath=73_122

They are rather pricey for their age, TBH. Unfortunately, I only own the Spanish printed books from back in the day, no PDFs that I can share.

Edit: I looked a bit into it, and the Spanish edition was a translation of the 2nd Edition, so I can't give you an informed opinion on the 1st edition, but from what I could find out, the 2nd edition has more setting info and less technical stuff, which was moved onto the "Technical Manual" sourcebook.

Last edited:

Hagashager

Educated
Before you even choose edition you should acknowledge something first and ask a few questions:

1: This is a hobby, not a random game of Monopoly. If you're GMing, it's going to suck having players that aren't prepared to take the crunch at least a quarter seriously. Trust me, you might as well not bother if your group's thinking this is some glorified board of Candyland or Munchkin. As a GM, even the bare minimum effort is still effort your part. Your players should understand this.

2: Games are long and repeat affairs. This is honestly the hardest hurdle to jump. Don't even thing about editions before you've settled the matter of, "Can you X people *consistently* meet at least once a month for 6 or so hours." And I mean, consistently, as in they'll prioritize the game over other fun shit like a movie or hangout somewhere else. If the answer is no, see point one.

3: I'm going to go against the grain here and not recommend 5e. Instead, I suggest the Genesys system, particularly Star Wars Edge of the Empire. It's very noob friendly, the math is deliberate without being obtuse, and it has tons and tons of opportunity to roleplay and influence plot with said roleplay. Star Wars is also so ubiquitous as to be more approachable.

ind33d

Educated
Before you even choose edition you should acknowledge something first and ask a few questions:

1: This is a hobby, not a random game of Monopoly. If you're GMing, it's going to suck having players that aren't prepared to take the crunch at least a quarter seriously. Trust me, you might as well not bother if your group's thinking this is some glorified board of Candyland or Munchkin. As a GM, even the bare minimum effort is still effort your part. Your players should understand this.

2: Games are long and repeat affairs. This is honestly the hardest hurdle to jump. Don't even thing about editions before you've settled the matter of, "Can you X people *consistently* meet at least once a month for 6 or so hours." And I mean, consistently, as in they'll prioritize the game over other fun shit like a movie or hangout somewhere else. If the answer is no, see point one.

3: I'm going to go against the grain here and not recommend 5e. Instead, I suggest the Genesys system, particularly Star Wars Edge of the Empire. It's very noob friendly, the math is deliberate without being obtuse, and it has tons and tons of opportunity to roleplay and influence plot with said roleplay. Star Wars is also so ubiquitous as to be more approachable.
West End Star Wars is probably better than EOTE, the books are just more expensive

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

West End Star Wars is probably better than EOTE, the books are just more expensive

You can easily find WEG Revised, Expanded, and Updated online for free as well as the other sourcebooks if you know where to look...

*coughs*D6 Holocron*coughs*

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom