Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Best open world games of all time

What is the best open world game ever? Can select up to 5 choices.

• Ultima VII: The Black Gate

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • The Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind

Votes: 59 38.1%
  • The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Votes: 12 7.7%
  • Gothic

Votes: 42 27.1%
  • Gothic 2

Votes: 61 39.4%
  • Gothic 3

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Risen

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • ELEX

Votes: 13 8.4%
  • Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Votes: 21 13.5%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

• Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

• Grand Theft Auto IV

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Grand Theft Auto V

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Red Dead Redemption

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • Zelda: Breath of the Wild

• Boiling Point

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Saint's Row IV

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Assassin's Creed: Origins

• Assassin's Creed: Odyssey

• Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

• Far Cry 3

• Ghost of Tsushima

• Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt

• Cyberpunk 2077

• Fallout 3

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Fallout 4

• Fallout: New Vegas

Votes: 53 34.2%
  • Minecraft

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

• Horizon Zero Dawn

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Mad Max

• kingcomrade

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat

Votes: 26 16.8%
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

• Might & Magic VII

• Might and Magic VIII

• Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

• Far Cry 2

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Far Cry 4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Far Cry 5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Darklands

• Dying Light

• Kenshi

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ocelot

Learned
This nigga has made 2963 posts in a 27 month time span. That means ~109 posts per month. That means ~3.5 posts daily. Yet I'm yet to see any signs of intelligence. Stop slinging insults if you are going to embarass yourself any further. It only works if you are in the right, but you've never raised any sensible criticisms or points. I've only seen vague preconceptions and willingless to defend things you've not thought about a lot; or worse, parroting other views because you never actually think on your own. I personally think you're a retard and it explains why your views are shit. But that's my humble opinion with all due respect to there being a possibility you might actually not be functionally retarded.
It isn't difficult going by your own words, and I've already explained why in my own words why I think the game easy. If you fail to follow a simple trail of through you might need to stop posting here so much and focus on building up an attention span or to read a book. What do you think follows from that? Think for a moment before you reply.
Weak as shit in relation to what? Have you even played this game? You're only weak as shit in relation to late-early game (convoluted term because there are no mid-game or late-game monsters in practice; or more precisely mid and late game are actually years before actual late-game plot and late side content wise, like final guild quests, etc.) like daedra and strongest NPC's, and the game does more than enough to keep you away from that path by giving you clear instructions, and fairly safe options for side-tracking when Caius tells you to sign up with one of the Balmora's guilds. It only takes time to develop magic because the game has uneven levelling needed to progress a skill, i.e. acrobatics and running improve faster, so do combat skills in relation to magic, which needs more grinding by design — a rather poor design in my opinion. Even then all the levitation stuff can be acquired early provided you've actually selected alteration as your choice of skill, either minor or major. You're being dishonest if you are going to pretend you actually miss that many, or even half of your hits on the first level, because, unless you picked a race with no aptitude in that skill, then put it in minor or misc skill (i.e. not at all), have no fatigue left, and then tried attacking something with no functional skill, you are not going to miss half of your hits. Like I said before, unless you play like a fumbling retard and suck at video games, you shouldn't have problems with Morrowind. To repeat (it seems you don't understand things either because you have no attention span or just don't speak English well enough): the game being so difficult that there will be some sort of a tangible reward in terms of gratification is largely a lie, and you are only feeding into things that people say about this game thoughtlessly, and perpetuate stupid preconceptions about Morrowind. In reality anyone with a modicum of brain cells will quickly realize that you're extremely powerful very quickly and there isn't much in the way of challenge (gratification being the reward of these challenges) besides collecting largely superflous gear, and progressing through main story line and faction quests. It really does make me wonder if you've actually played this game at all. Did you watch a video essay about it without playing for yourself to parrot some speaking points to impress largely anonymous people on internet, on forums and on RPG codex?

Are you ok buddy?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
This nigga has made 2963 posts in a 27 month time span. That means ~109 posts per month. That means ~3.5 posts daily. Yet I'm yet to see any signs of intelligence. Stop slinging insults if you are going to embarass yourself any further. It only works if you are in the right, but you've never raised any sensible criticisms or points. I've only seen vague preconceptions and willingless to defend things you've not thought about a lot; or worse, parroting other views because you never actually think on your own. I personally think you're a retard and it explains why your views are shit. But that's my humble opinion with all due respect to there being a possibility you might actually not be functionally retarded.
It isn't difficult going by your own words, and I've already explained why in my own words why I think the game easy. If you fail to follow a simple trail of through you might need to stop posting here so much and focus on building up an attention span or to read a book. What do you think follows from that? Think for a moment before you reply.
Weak as shit in relation to what? Have you even played this game? You're only weak as shit in relation to late-early game (convoluted term because there are no mid-game or late-game monsters in practice; or more precisely mid and late game are actually years before actual late-game plot and late side content wise, like final guild quests, etc.) like daedra and strongest NPC's, and the game does more than enough to keep you away from that path by giving you clear instructions, and fairly safe options for side-tracking when Caius tells you to sign up with one of the Balmora's guilds. It only takes time to develop magic because the game has uneven levelling needed to progress a skill, i.e. acrobatics and running improve faster, so do combat skills in relation to magic, which needs more grinding by design — a rather poor design in my opinion. Even then all the levitation stuff can be acquired early provided you've actually selected alteration as your choice of skill, either minor or major. You're being dishonest if you are going to pretend you actually miss that many, or even half of your hits on the first level, because, unless you picked a race with no aptitude in that skill, then put it in minor or misc skill (i.e. not at all), have no fatigue left, and then tried attacking something with no functional skill, you are not going to miss half of your hits. Like I said before, unless you play like a fumbling retard and suck at video games, you shouldn't have problems with Morrowind. To repeat (it seems you don't understand things either because you have no attention span or just don't speak English well enough): the game being so difficult that there will be some sort of a tangible reward in terms of gratification is largely a lie, and you are only feeding into things that people say about this game thoughtlessly, and perpetuate stupid preconceptions about Morrowind. In reality anyone with a modicum of brain cells will quickly realize that you're extremely powerful very quickly and there isn't much in the way of challenge (gratification being the reward of these challenges) besides collecting largely superflous gear, and progressing through main story line and faction quests. It really does make me wonder if you've actually played this game at all. Did you watch a video essay about it without playing for yourself to parrot some speaking points to impress largely anonymous people on internet, on forums and on RPG codex?
:didntreadlol:

madhouse

pDgLXdV.jpg

- you
Claiming TL;DR or that the other person is butthurt isn't a get out of jail free card unfortunately.
And you read everything I wrote. Every single word. At least twice.I
Are you ok buddy?
You're discussing an RPG on an RPG-focused forums.
Colour me surprised.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ash

Arcane
Okay, I realize I'm asking for some bad ratings, but seriously... school me on Morrowind.

I've played tons of Skyrim (yeah yeah, judge away), and I'm currently playing through Oblivion and really enjoying it. I know perfectly well that these aren't serious role playing games, but I enjoy the scenery, the discovery of new locations and the dungeon exploring, even if it's not more mentally taxing than playing solitaire on my phone.

I've tried getting into Morrowind more than once, but every time, I run into two things that make me decide to eventually quit: the fact that it takes me forever to get anywhere, and almost always whenever I stumble into a dungeon I get my ass handed to me. I do not run into this when playing Oblivion, so what gives?

So, feel free to rake me over the coals, but teach me something.

In Morrowind you have to think and try. DOn't play it with a Skyrim mindset. Learn to use the transports to get around.

Why have we come to this? Thinking and trying is literally the whole point of a game; to engage and involve the player. Well, it used to be. Storyfag and ulterior interactive experiences has become the new norm e.g social gameplay, walking sim gameplay, gameplay that is merely used as a narrative device.

:negative:

Regarding Tomb Raider: it's interesting to me how crazy popular those old classics used to be. Movies, merch, spinoffs, Angelina Jolie. It interests me because the games themselves were actually pretty fucking hardcore especially by todays standards. Hard to learn by todays standards (controls), big dark levels without objective markers, minimal signposting on what to do next, frequent instant death traps. I never was interested in the character/boobs, found all that stuff to be incredibly weird because she didn't even look like a woman, but I played the shit out of the games. I figure it was only a very small percentage of people that ever actually completed them. They did market the shit out of her though. I have vague memories. Doesn't bother me because good game. Nu tomb Raider is rather mediocre and I'm triggered to see it spoken of fondly. Not the worst game, but certainly not what it should have been.

Last edited:

madhouse

I don't give a fuck about your opinion of MW. I'm not particularly fond of it either, but you're absolutely acting like a sperg :greatjob:
Discussing something over the internet isn't being a sperg, you'd know that if you weren't a retard who just discovered internet and learnt five different flavours of buzzwords.
:shitposting:

madhouse

It's the butthurt Slavshit being unable to defend his precious game episode all over again. I'm actually amazed how many codexers are blind Morrowind fanboys who can see no wrong in the game. I'm seriously willing to send you 1000€, which is enough to buy your entire village, if you can prove me wrong.

madhouse

Ya'll mad. You know it's true.
You're wrong, because you are mentally ill.

How do you want to send me the money? I'll take 20 × €50 Steam Gift Cards.
But you're completely wrong, I only left the madhouse yesterday. They told me it was for good this time and I only need to take my pills three times a day and to give them a ring if the voices get too loud.
There's too much off-topic butthurt over a perfectly valid criticism. At the very worst one could accuse me of being a troll, because at the very minimum there's at least 5 or 6 people who are actively butthurt over what I wrote. Meanwhile my record stands perfect, no loses or draws for my part. I'm young, hungry and the HW champion of the Codex. Please, tell me how you're-totally-not-butthurt by insisting I am.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Morrowind isn't my favorite open world game. I like the actual overworld, but get tired of caves and ruins. It's a Bethesda trademark by now.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Okay, I realize I'm asking for some bad ratings, but seriously... school me on Morrowind.

I've played tons of Skyrim (yeah yeah, judge away), and I'm currently playing through Oblivion and really enjoying it. I know perfectly well that these aren't serious role playing games, but I enjoy the scenery, the discovery of new locations and the dungeon exploring, even if it's not more mentally taxing than playing solitaire on my phone.

I've tried getting into Morrowind more than once, but every time, I run into two things that make me decide to eventually quit: the fact that it takes me forever to get anywhere, and almost always whenever I stumble into a dungeon I get my ass handed to me. I do not run into this when playing Oblivion, so what gives?

So, feel free to rake me over the coals, but teach me something.
The answer is git good

Not even kidding

Start with Shield, some armour skills, Athletics, run away from a horde of Cliffracers pecking at you and you are soon lvl 20 and invincible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom