Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.facebook.com/OtherSideEntertainment/posts/1946693578876142

Ze2LObf.png

:avatard:

Okay...let's look up Mobygames: http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,6561/

Apparently he actually was a QA at Origin.

And let's check out his Facebook page....umhm, uh...: https://www.facebook.com/DungeonJester/posts/10213846806863485

:what:

If you messed up in QA you could literally spend the next 3 years on the CS Tech Support Lines before getting a chance to be in QA again if you survived those 3 years.
It really was like that.

CS was not punishment but it was used as punishment at the same time.

I was very solid at their CS stuff.

I was really solid at their QA stuff, though it was low budget as hell, and actually got better and better at it in my own individual way.

I did 3 stints on the phones counting my initial hiring.

I think I did the following:

CS, QA, QA, QA, CS, QA, QA, QA, QA, QA, CS, QA, QA, QA, QA and then I left Origin Systems for more money offered to me out of the blue as Origin chose not to let me advance at all. I technically was supposed to be at least an Assistant Project Leader with a chance to be a Project Leader and I was informed that “my testing was really need…we aren’t promoting you…and Electronic Arts does NOT believe in paying a tester much so we aren’t going to be able to pay you what we know you are worth.” I was told this by management…and left as a basic QA Tester…FOR YEARS…while others got to go on and make over $30k…in fact some went on to make $60k…and $100k…just for having “game design” on their resume…and often getting fired for being as lack luster at game design as they were at testing games.

So, yeah, I left Origin Systems in 1998…only to get ill…recover somehow…and return in 1999…until I got really ill yet again in 2001.

Anyway, in 1994, December, a game named System Shock CD, originally a floppy game shipped over the summer, was forced out the door, out of QA, and onto the market. It was “a computer game cult classic that very few ever played.”

I played it at home when I got a copy.

It was…engrossing if you got sucked into it.

It is about a hacker…who gets kidnapped…and wakes up on a space station from a medical coma…and he’s got neurological implant capabilities…and the 1st level lets him find a wrench/pipe to beat on things…and you can later hack into keypads and systems and you have to play their mini game to successfully hack…and there are audio logs that tell a backstory (one of the first ever games to use audiologs successfully in that manner…no shit), and…everybody is dead…and…and…and…

…it was made by Looking Glass Studios.

So…while playing the opening demo to Prey there is a point where a screen in your space station office states “Looking Glass OFFLINE.”

Ummmmmmmmmmm…hmmmmmmmmm.

Me thinks I know a source Prey was using for initial design constructs. The wrench was kind of a give away…because it is just as dull as System Shock’s opening…then the Looking Glass part was…kind of obvious.

As designed!

System Shock…and Prey.

How…ODD.

Can’t come up with anything original????

https://www.facebook.com/DungeonJester/posts/10205582811828774

Before that she dumped me for the first time while I was on Cybermage. I remember going into work and keeping it to myself and trying to just hold on for the shift while I was testing. Harvey apparently noticed something was up and called me into an office, closed the door, and asked “are you okay?”

God. I blubbered so bad. I couldn’t state “my girlfriend dumped me” without a huge emotional swell of sadness. It sucked. I was shedding tears against my will suddenly in front of my Project Leader. He sent me home and told me to come back in the next day with some rest. I obeyed.

We got back together. It was a problem that became a routine…she’d dump me then…she’d want to be friends and socialize…then she “couldn’t handle” my absence. I fell for it every time.

Even shittier was the “mutual friend” that later tried to take her hand was Harvey’s assistant and later Harvey left for Production and my new Project Leader was ultimately that faggit that tried to steal her from me. He became dumber and dumber and dumber the longer Cybermage was in test…and I was actually to a point where I was noticing his moves “behind my back” to steal my girlfriend of a few years.

At one point I was literally having to contemplate being employed full time at a place I admired while sharing the halls with “a former friend” who actually took “it’s a dog eat dog world” way too seriously. I kid you not, she even told him in front of several people that she found him “ugly” and was never going to date him. It got that stupid in my life.

That dipshit fag got flunked for his work on Cybermage, got assigned to the first Longbow product, then blew it so bad he got a pink slip. He had just put himself in a house by himself and had a “hot little MX-3” that made the “fast cars at Origin” list upstairs. I think Warren almost noticed the guy and wanted to crush his skull…I mean it…that dude got STUPID.

Then, oh, man, after he got shit canned he intentionally started trying to hang out with people I was hanging out with at Origin. That didn’t last long. It was like he just had to be connected to my fucking life somehow.

I never once did a damn thing to hurt the guy, be mean to the guy, fuck the guy over…even after he tried to steal my girlfriend behind my back, I kept it to myself at work. He turned himself into an incompetent fag.

Then I began having to deal with…well…that female and I…she was starting to look like she was in her thirties and I wasn’t even twenty-two. Ouch. It began rubbing her the wrong way. I followed her lead while being myself as best I could and she led me to her “ultimate move.” She made something up, blamed me in a way that was false, and acted like I was a trespasser to be told “go away.”

It was over.

I didn’t smile or laugh for about six months. I worked through it at Origin Systems.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Because they can't advance beyond their station, i.e. being testers, bug-fixers, desk flunkies and pushovers.

A horse of course

tbh if you make videogames for a living then you are, by definition, a colossal failure and a crushing disappointment to your parents.

lightbane

Arcane
Because the videogame industry is inherently seen as something childish and filled with losers, facts that so far have been proven right every time. If these manchildren had an actual spine they would fight for their right to be treated as actual human beings, but they never do.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You do realize this had been in development for over five years, right? Technically, great games like ADOM, Rimworld and Factorio are also EA, but offer complete, full and, even on the Dex, highly rated experiences. Take the plunge, my man! They might abandon the game before it is ever done. Take it from a developer: the final 1% of a project take 90% of the time. I don't usually like early access, but in cases like these it makes no sense to wait until that final tiny bit is finished. I'd buy it now while it's Steam Sale!

Disclaimer: I don't own that game but am buying it when I get home, it looks intriguing, is well-reviewed, and far from the eye of the mainstream.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
I'd buy it now while it's Steam Sale

Thanks for the advice, but I won't buy it untill ready. It's not about lack of trust, I get your point, the reson I'm avoiding it for now is I get so little spare time atm that I prefer to play finished products. Also, I do own Rimworld, but I'm actively avoiding it (except for an initial 30 hours binge) to fully apreciate it when it's complete.

Moreso, I already spent more than enough on this particular sale, my wishlist went from 24 to 13 items...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's entirely reasonable. I just (wrongly) thought you are one of the "EA? Absolute trash." crowd. While I agree it is a borderline exploitative business model, making you pay for alphas, it does at least sometime lead to to good games. Likely not in the majority of cases, though.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
That's entirely reasonable. I just (wrongly) thought you are one of the "EA? Absolute trash." crowd. While I agree it is a borderline exploitative business model, making you pay for alphas, it does at least sometime lead to to good games. Likely not in the majority of cases, though.

Caves of Qud is particularly non-exploitative in that they make the ascii version of the game completely free and the .exe is downloadable outside of steam.

http://freeholdgames.com/?page_id=39

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I bought it already and I love the menu art style and the strange writing. Still don't really know what's going on if there's a 'main quest' to find. This game seems like it'll take me a year or two...

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I haven't played it in almost two years so I doubt I have anything accurate to say about various quests you may find even if I were inclined to say anything. I can say that even two years ago the systems interaction/emergent potential was terrific, as you may infer from hoaxmetal's screenshot.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I bought it already and I love the menu art style and the strange writing. Still don't really know what's going on if there's a 'main quest' to find. This game seems like it'll take me a year or two...
Check out the UI options, there's a lot of nice stuff that's not enabled by default (Overlay UI and other features).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom