Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
He must have formulated that problem pretty terribly to end with the optimal choice being taking Kingslayer on a Hammerdin.
Also, no Enigma = have fun walking everywhere.

He entered items manually in his spreadsheet rather than populating it by pulling data directly from the game data files. Can't believe he went through all that work only to effectively waste his time since he's only using a few items. And his limiting factor is real world money to buy them? What? I guess in theory the monetary cost would correlate with difficulty to find or acquire in-game though, but more likely with popularity and perfect stats on random rolls.

He must have formulated that problem pretty terribly to end with the optimal choice being taking Kingslayer on a Hammerdin.
Also, no Enigma = have fun walking everywhere.

He only has 126 items in his spreadsheet, divided amongst the item categories he's only considering between about 14 items each.

EDIT: Also, his dataset is fucked up. For some reason he has superior items costing less. Skip to 11:49, Famine Berserker Axe +320% Damage costs twice as much as Famine Berserker Axe +370% Damage. Maybe he polled offers for real stuff on websites? That's the only way I can see coming up with such backwards numbers.

Last edited:

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
He only has 126 items in his spreadsheet, divided amongst the item categories he's only considering between about 14 items each.
Sure, I just mean he formulated the objective function wrong. The objective will vary quite a lot between what class and what skills you're using. Besides, he picked out some of the best stuff in the game anyway.
I didn't watch the whole thing, I just skimmed a bit since I'm already familiar with ILPs and the game. He shows a Hammerdin early on, but talks about getting a weapon with high damage (and presumably attack speed too), but a Hammerdin is a caster so you only really care about getting +skills and +cast-rate for your offence. High damage weapons make no difference for a Hammerdin. (though there may be something about attack speed and cast rate breakpoints or something, i dunno it's been a while)

edit:
Also, Enigma should be weighted especially high, because it's the only item in the game that allows non-Sorceresses to use Teleport willy-nilly, and practically what makes the Hammerdin so good for doing runs.

EDIT: Also, his dataset is fucked up. For some reason he has superior items costing less. Skip to 11:49, Famine Berserker Axe +320% Damage costs twice as much as Famine Berserker Axe +370% Damage. Maybe he polled offers for real stuff on websites? That's the only way I can see coming up with such backwards numbers.
I see $4.95 for the 320 and $14.95 for the 370?

Last edited:
Sure, I just mean he formulated the objective function wrong. The objective will vary quite a lot between what class and what skills you're using. Besides, he picked out some of the best stuff in the game anyway.
I didn't watch the whole thing, I just skimmed a bit since I'm already familiar with ILPs and the game. He shows a Hammerdin early on, but talks about getting a weapon with high damage (and presumably attack speed too), but a Hammerdin is a caster so you only really care about getting +skills and +cast-rate for your offence. High damage weapons make no difference for a Hammerdin. (though there may be something about attack speed and cast rate breakpoints or something, i dunno it's been a while)

Ideally if you are doing this kind of calculation you want to include a much wider range of items because you are specifically looking for the cheap/little used/common stuff that can combine well. All of the popular stuff is obviously good and powerful, and they are pricey for the same reason.

The specific constraints probably aren't too important, I think he's just using this as a proof of concept.

I see $4.95 for the 320 and $14.95 for the 370?

Hmm, looks like parts of the spreadsheet are out of sync when he scrolls and I paused at the wrong frame.

Bocian

Arcane
codex.PNG

Two Faces of RPG Codex.

lightbane

Arcane
So, Metroid: Samus Returns is out. Unsurprisingly, it's shit, mediocre at best, but its flaws quickly become obvious when you compare it to the Metroid 2 Remake, such as how the parry system is obviously a patch-up job to fix the horrible aiming, or the new boss that literally comes out of nowhere and looks quite derpy.

Fan remake:

Official Nintendo game:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
:necro:

For no reason in particular... does anyone know the exact release date of Star Control 2?

November 6th 1992 is the timestamp on the files on the disks in the box, so it's got to be shortly after that.

Anyone?

EDIT: In case people are wondering why I'm using the rodent gif for this post, it's because this was originally posted in another thread, but moved here by one of our wonderfully incompetent moderators.

Last edited:

kintake

Savant
I had to use google to understand your post. Reddit is a website, Ruiner is a game (Available on steam), Berserk is a manga/anime, Susumi is a Japanese composer who made music for the Berserk anime. Hai yai forces is some kind of meme? I'm still fucking lost.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom