Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Thane Solus

Arcane
oh yeah GDPR on pretext they protect the data now, they will be able shut down sites they dont like. Lovely world...

Dd6w5KmVQAEhtaJ.jpg

Assassin's Creed Syndicate. These bios were p. funny.

assassins-creed-syndicate-encyclopedia-charles-dickens.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

iTLMTCj.png

hsw4uh2.jpg

FMelqpU.jpg

0pAXZpj.jpg

koYjLiS.jpg

wUepyCE.jpg

18ESuKk.jpg

zZUSOiq.jpg

ejjgVd8.jpg

P7rQQiH.jpg

Last edited:

Santander02

Arcane
The concept sounds really cool, a horror game built around the theme of ye olde mid 20 century animation. Survival horror Cuphead if you will

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-05-26-half-life-2s-city-17-as-a-city-map

City 17 from Half-Life 2 as a city map

Have you ever wondered what video game cities would look like as Ordnance Survey maps? A new project is working on turning the likes of City 17 from Half-Life, Los Santos from Grand Theft Auto and New Vegas from Fallout into city maps, so we may soon find out.

jpg

City 17, mapped. Note the placement of the Citadel.

Konstantinos Dimopoulos, a game urbanist, writer and designer with a PhD in urban planning and geography is working with visual artist Maria Kallikaki to create the very first atlas of video game cities, the appropriately-named Virtual Cities.

Virtual Cities, which is currently looking for funding on Unbound, includes over 40 game cities, including Yakuza's Kamurocho, Silent Hill, Ant Attack's Antescher and Shadowrun's Hong Kong. Over 40 original maps and more than 100 drawings are being worked on.

"Every city featured in the atlas will be mapped through a combination of traditional and unorthodox cartographic methods including partial reconstruction, and the filling in of essential details, which allow us to visualise the often fragmented, incomplete, and out of scale cities of gaming in a cohesive way," Dimopoulos said.

"It will also be accompanied by beautiful, subtly coloured ink drawings, and in-depth texts covering its history, design lessons, atmosphere, landmarks, and geography."

Sounds cool! You can read the chapter on City 17 now.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Infinitron - I can't be arsed to find the "loot box"-thread, so I'm dumping this post here and leave it at your discretion whether it goes to the proper thread or not.

Analyst: Loot Boxes Exist Due To Idiocy

Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter has been studying and commenting on the video games industry for decades, and is notable for not holding back on his observations of what is now a $138 billion business.

Speaking with VentureBeat at the recent Video Game Bar Association event in Los Angeles, the topic of loot boxes came up. The controversial revenue source has been the subject of many an opinion piece in recent years, and Pachter says that the fault lies in the consumer:

There are three alternative outcomes for what’s going on with proposed regulation and legislation. Either the publishers comply and get rid of loot boxes, which I think is a low-probability outcome, or they fight, which I think is a high-probability outcome, or they withdraw from those countries and let the consumer bitch and moan, which I think is the most likely outcome.

Why are there loot boxes? Because consumers are stupid and they’ll spend thousands of dollars trying to get that hard-to-get thing. If you put it up for sale for $500 they won’t buy it. I mean, I actually think the Chinese solution – posting the odds of getting each item – is the right way to do it. This thing has a 1-in-250 chance in the loot box, or you can buy it for $250. Then people realize, I have to buy 250 loot boxes for $600 to get it? Then they’ll just buy it.

In the U.S., there’s very low probability anybody passes legislation to regulate loot boxes. The guys in Hawaii are just f–king morons… their solution was, loot boxes are gambling. Gambling is illegal under Hawaii law. Therefore you can’t buy a loot box until you’re 21. Does that mean you can gamble when you’re 21 in Hawaii as well? There’s no chance that law is upheld. They’re not going to get it passed, because somebody in that legislature actually went to law school. Somebody in their staff is going to look at that Hawaii law. They’re idiots. I don’t think any of that stuff happens.

But wait, there's more!

Asked about the biggest disruption coming in the next few years he says it’s going to be the lack of need of consoles as home devices, TVs, etc. become powerful enough that the addressable market for games expands exponentially:

I’d say it’s probably five to seven years of migration, but the game market becomes anybody with a PC or a laptop playing on their television like it’s a console with a controller. That just removes the console purchase as a barrier to entry. You want to be selling software into that.
Sauce is here.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Asset flipper goes beyond fuckup:

ss_ce217949b6380a3a72d95a5900b2e8148e0882d5.600x338.jpg

Purged: https://www.pcgamer.com/active-shooter-and-its-developer-have-been-removed-from-steam/

Active Shooter and its developer have been removed from Steam
Valve said the man behind Revived Games is a troll with a history of abuse.

Active Shooter, the school shooting FPS that caused an uproar when it appeared on Steam last week, has been removed from the platform, and both the developer and publisher—Revived Games and Acid, respectively—responsible for the game have been banned from the platform.

"This developer and publisher is, in fact, a person calling himself Ata Berdiyev, who had previously been removed last fall when he was operating as '[bc]Interactive' and 'Elusive Team'," a Valve rep explained.

"Ata is a troll, with a history of customer abuse, publishing copyrighted material, and user review manipulation. His subsequent return under new business names was a fact that came to light as we investigated the controversy around his upcoming title. We are not going to do business with people who act like this towards our customers or Valve."

Interestingly, while Berdiyev's behavior was cited as the reason for his (and the game's) removal from Steam, the matter may also spur action on Valve's broader policies regarding what's allowed on its digital storefront—or, maybe more precisely, the lack of them, a shortcoming that's been brought into particular focus since the launch of Steam Direct.

"The broader conversation about Steam's content policies is one that we'll be addressing soon," the rep said. That's a conversation that's long overdue—and one that I hope Steam users will have the opportunity to take part in.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
This thread is a gold mine: [Sociopaths in online games]

This is the core of EVE Online: A bunch of sociopaths hatch a scam and go out into lawless space, set up an alliance, claim some space and then sit back doing absolutely fuck-all while the dozens/hundreds/thousands of peons beneath them in the alliance do all the chores needed to keep the alliance in the black.

Worst of all, the devs themselves for the longest time considered this to be the best way to play the game.

And that's before we get to the truly fucked-up tales of the in-game gambling channels and the shit that went on in there. When word got out about that, some high-end players got permabanned, and large chunks of the game's wealth being either confiscated or lost forever.

EDIT: I'm color-blind. Corrected.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom