Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Vatnik Wumao
TES_lore_f.jpg
n9qyvb1039l51.jpg

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
DOOM shouldn't have an overly developed "story". Who gives a fuck about that?
In the original Doom the story is simple: Demons invade Mars/Earth. You are Doomguy. Go fuck them up. RIP AND TEAR! There,that's the DOOM story.
Doom 3 also kept it relatively simple,even though you had PDA's and cutscenes. It was up to you whether you listened to PDA's or not,though some of them contained useful info like codes to ammo lockers or ammo storage rooms.

Codex Year of the Donut
Codex Year of the Donut
anytime I see a new ugly indie style fad on steam I can just go check the unity asset store and it's one of the top selling assets
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1944360/Rune_Teller/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1902710/Weird_RPG/

etc.,
->
https://assetstore.unity.com/publishers/5217
found another
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1565240/Skillsworn/

going to play spot the asset flips
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1486410/Forsaken_Champions/
:popcorn:

That's not to say precooked assets can't be good looking of course
ofc not, I advocate for using asset store assets. But these are blatant low quality asset flips.

[edit]
also, wow at those prices for how terrible they look

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DOOM shouldn't have an overly developed "story". Who gives a fuck about that?
In the original Doom the story is simple: Demons invade Mars/Earth. You are Doomguy. Go fuck them up. RIP AND TEAR! There,that's the DOOM story.
Doom 3 also kept it relatively simple,even though you had PDA's and cutscenes. It was up to you whether you listened to PDA's or not,though some of them contained useful info like codes to ammo lockers or ammo storage rooms.
Quake was the same. The first game was just "ok so there's these slipgates and you enter other worlds through them, you start out in tech bases then you enter lovecraftian horror dimensions, have fun" and then in Quake 2 they tried to go for some storytelling and it ended up being much lamer than the first game.

And yes, I am fully aware Quake 2 wasn't supposed to be a sequel to Quake. It still sucks.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
That's true.
Old school FPS story and objectives: "Fuck everything up with your massive guns,RIP AND TEAR,save the day by being a bloodthirsty badass and killing anything that gets in your way".
Modern FPS story and objectives: "Save the 'Murican president and prevent war with russians. Blah blah,something something modern advanced developed technological warfare".

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Umm,what do zoomers have to do with what I've said?
Zoomers can't appreciate the intricacies and beauty of golden era shooters.
Some might,but those are a rarity.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member

The retardo frat boy ego-stroking that you described above is a zoomer meme that never had anything to do with classic shooters, except for maybe Duke Nukem 3D (and Shadow Warrior, which was Duke Nukem: Asia). And as Maxwell's Demon said, they tended to have actual plots, it's just that they were confined to the manuals, though not always - Doom had the episode-closing walls of text, and they were all clearly grim, not the HOO-RAH, RIP N TEAR nonsense that Doom is made out to be today.

Then there's Heretic and Hexen which are dark fantasy. In Blood you're an ex-cultist seeking vengeance against Satan for betraying you and killing your waifu. Quake is ???? even techno-gothic-lovecraftian weirdness.

And that's without diving deeper into System Shock, Strife, Dark Forces, Outlaws, Descent...

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

The retardo frat boy ego-stroking that you described above is a zoomer meme that never had anything to do with classic shooters, except for maybe Duke Nukem 3D (and Shadow Warrior, which was Duke Nukem: Asia). And as Maxwell's Demon said, they tended to have actual plots, it's just that they were confined to the manuals, though not always - Doom had the episode-closing walls of text, and they were all clearly grim, not the HOO-RAH, RIP N TEAR nonsense that Doom is made out to be today.

Then there's Heretic and Hexen which are dark fantasy. In Blood you're an ex-cultist seeking vengeance against Satan for betraying you and killing your waifu. Quake is ???? even techno-gothic-lovecraftian weirdness.

And that's without diving deeper into System Shock, Strife, Dark Forces, Outlaws, Descent...
https://doom.fandom.com/wiki/Doom_comic

It's straight from the infamous Doom comic,brother. The "Rip and Tear" only really became a thing with the new Doom shooters(which are more appealing to the zoomers who haven't played the originals).
Also System Shock is more a thinking man's FPS. There is a lot more to it than just blasting cyborgs and mutants to pieces. Dark Forces is also renown for its level design.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

https://doom.fandom.com/wiki/Doom_comic

It's straight from the infamous Doom comic,brother. The "Rip and Tear" only really became a thing with the new Doom shooters(which are more appealing to the zoomers who haven't played the originals).
Also System Shock is more a thinking man's FPS. There is a lot more to it than just blasting cyborgs and mutants to pieces. Dark Forces is also renown for its level design.
The comic came after the actual game though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom