Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

"Japan does x better" is a meme of course but with voice acting it seems to be the actual case. To my understanding it is a well respected occupation there and I haven't heard any real negative news about Japanese VAs and they don't go on Twitter smelling their own farts.
Don't worry, Japan is westernizing itself too

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
GDm_trmXwAAAqZ2

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Video games have been saved.

Im imagining the possibilities with AI voice, if you add some scripting you could do away with Mass Effect canned lines and dialogue trees and have a simple word query string/google search and have the NPC's fully converse on topics. Then the shenanigans of making them say absurd things and the coomers making degenerate mods, but we stopped locking up freaks and wierdos so thats the world we inherited. A future where voice actors get hired to read a string of nonsense words so that the AI can cobble together and get paid for one hours work while the codemonkey make fully voiced 40 hours cinematic experiences and having an install size that isnt 100GB.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Video games have been saved.

Im imagining the possibilities with AI voice, if you add some scripting you could do away with Mass Effect canned lines and dialogue trees and have a simple word query string/google search and have the NPC's fully converse on topics. Then the shenanigans of making them say absurd things and the coomers making degenerate mods, but we stopped locking up freaks and wierdos so thats the world we inherited. A future where voice actors get hired to read a string of nonsense words so that the AI can cobble together and get paid for one hours work while the codemonkey make fully voiced 40 hours cinematic experiences and having an install size that isnt 100GB.

Seems more of an indie thing than a triple A thing. Indies can get huge mileage out of AI lines and have lots of voiced dialog they other wise wouldn't. While Triple A just don't give a fuck. I would be surprised if it was done on a company basis instead of a third party licensing their trained voices. Like how everyone would use Havoc in the past rather than doing their own physics engines. Will be interesting to see how licensed voices work. Instead of sound alike Obi Wan get the scottish prick to babble away for a few hours and use that to voice young Obi Wan and pay a flat fee per thing going forward.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The solution to voice acting being too expensive is not to have voice acting.

Reading > listening.
Reading?! might as well buy a book!

On a more serious note, trying to play a game in a language I am not fluent in did give me the slightest bit of sympathy for the "reading is hard" crowd. There are probably a lot of people out there who read a lot slower than the speed someone speaks at, and who are bad enough at reading that doing it for long periods of time counts as effort. This is a pretty damning observation on the state of education, but it seems like a pretty large segment of the potential customers, especially for AAA.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
But that itself in a way is working against one of the few positive things games have going for themselves, being a driving motor for education. I'm pretty sure half of the users in here found the motivation to learn English by playing games with a dictionary by their side.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated

Reading > listening.

On a more serious note, trying to play a game in a language I am not fluent in did give me the slightest bit of sympathy for the "reading is hard" crowd. There are probably a lot of people out there who read a lot slower than the speed someone speaks at, and who are bad enough at reading that doing it for long periods of time counts as effort. This is a pretty damning observation on the state of education, but it seems like a pretty large segment of the potential customers, especially for AAA.
The first statements ironic but true at the same time. Reading a book will more than likely give you a better story than any game ever well. Games strong point is not being a bad book, it's the gameplay and I remember very clearly playing Neir Automata and subtitles getting in the way of game play. I wanted to follow the story, the English voice acting was awful but fighting a parry/dodge heavy boss you needed to pay attention to and reading the subtitles made it annoying. Games are good at being interactive movies (I don't mean like a modern game) and letting you observe a world greater than our own. They excel at visuals and presenting a sense of challenge for you to grow and overcome (why they're so addictive to men and ruin so many men's prime years). They are not good novels, books or stories and the obsession with trying to do what games do pretty poorly instead of leaning into what they do well is just dumb. There is always the option to turn off voice volume and rely on subs alone. There's never a choice to create audio from subtitles outside of awful fan projects full of weebs screeching.

Reading slower isn't the only problem. Screens are bad for the eyes to read off of. As you get older your eyes get more sensitive to reading in general, often needing glasses. Reading long amounts of text off of a static screen is a good way to increase your eye's decline into old age and ultimately it doesn't get you any where. If you really like reading (and you should, it's great) you should be reading paper books outside in your garden or a park. Some where you're engaged in the world and not stuck inside the same 4 walls until your eyes melt off.

But that itself in a way is working against one of the few positive things games have going for themselves, being a driving motor for education. I'm pretty sure half of the users in here found the motivation to learn English by playing games with a dictionary by their side.
The less ESLs we have in the world the better... But jokes aside there's educational games for that purpose. As a kid I'm sure playing games helped my reading immensely but that shouldn't be a driving factor in decision making. The game should be a fun experience before it's an educational experience.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Reading > listening.

When I started playing RPGs, my English was still very basic school-level stuff. I didn't understand half the words, but I played anyway and learned through context. My English wouldn't be what it is without RPGs, especially Morrowind with its lore-filled walls of text. Even to a 14-year old Jarl with half-baked English, those weren't a problem. Even then my reading pace was pretty quick.

I still have some languages that I know a little of but am not fluent in, like Italian. Having text to read through is a lot easier to understand for me than listening to voices in that language because it gives me more time to understand. I can even grok a bit of French due to its similarities to Italian and Latin if I read it, but don't understand a word when it's spoken.

Kids these days are retarded. Text is the superior way of communication.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Kids these days are retarded. Text is the superior way of communication.
You realize kida are retarded because they spend so much time around text instead of other humans right..? Sucks you have a terrible language you don't want to speak aloud, but some of us don't and we like communicating with each other.

If you're learning a language, reading text will nearly always be easier than listening to someone speak. There are languages like Japanese where the written word is a serious obstacle by itself, in which case it's not unusual for people to develop verbal fluency first. Not so with English.

I'm still annoyed by games that don't provide subtitles despite being heavy on slang or making actors speak with thick accents. It gives non-native speakers no chance at understanding even if their English is good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom