Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
If you're learning a language, reading text will nearly always be easier than listening to someone speak. There are languages like Japanese where the written word is a serious obstacle by itself, in which case it's not unusual for people to develop verbal fluency first. Not so with English.

I'm still annoyed by games that don't provide subtitles despite being heavy on slang or making actors speak with thick accents. It gives non-native speakers no chance at understanding even if their English is good.
The point of learning a language is to speak it. Not to read it. If you're not using it to talk to people it's masturbation and little else. English is a complete cluster fuck of words like read. Did I mean like Reed or Red? Who the fuck knows! Better hope I don't have the bellows when I want to wind you up or maybe I have a key to shove up your asshole. If you learn it via text only you will sound like a total mong when you spew your autism all over a stranger and confuddle half the phrasing.

Subtitles should always be included and different size subtitles. Native speakers have regional accents and some of them can be confusing to listen to. It's also good for people with hearing difficulties to be able to enjoy the story elements or allow cross language play so you can enjoy sugoi sugoi gay boyfriendo sim 2023 when it's ported from the Vita to steam in 10 years time. It's a shame even though support for disabled people is improving (not sure how the fuck audio descriptions are helpful, if you're that blind you can't play the damn game to begin with) basic text issues still remain. Too many games include subtitles or text on screen that's tiny. Consoles are vastly better in this regard as they don't assume you're going to be sitting right in front of a monitor to play games. Despite many PC gamers now hooking their rig up to a HD TV and using that as their primary monitor.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
The point of learning a language is to speak it.
No, the point is decided by the person learning it. I hate talking to people, didn't stop me from learning any new language. I only learn them for reading and that is all I need, simple as that.
Autism-Speaks-Logo-307x300.jpg

I believe in you! You can do it! Try speaking and listening!

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The point of learning a language is to speak it. Not to read it.
You must not be a fan of learning Latin, Europe's most culturally important language.
English is the most culturally important language. Latin is for fags to write dumb things on warhammer figures.
What if you want to read old books from medieval times?
He's not interested in medieval books, they didn't have audiobooks back then.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
You must not be a fan of learning Latin, Europe's most culturally important language.
English is the most culturally important language. Latin is for fags to write dumb things on warhammer figures.
cvr9781439112908_9781439112908_hr.jpg

Thy faggotry is immense. The sun shall never set on the English Empire, Latinland is dead, England is thriving. Fear our immense amount of imported negro slaves stabbing each other in the streets. Thoust maybe next!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
LOL

Pop history books will never give you the same experience as reading medieval literature in its original language.

Middle English is pretty cool too and not difficult to learn btw.

Viata

Arcane
Oh yes, instead of reading book X, people prefer to read a book that talks about book X. It's the book version of playing remakes instead of the original.

MerchantKing

Learned
cvr9781439112908_9781439112908_hr.jpg

Thy faggotry is immense. The sun shall never set on the English Empire, Latinland is dead, England is thriving. Fear our immense amount of imported negro slaves stabbing each other in the streets. Thoust maybe next!
If I had a time machine, I would call Art Bell.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
For those who recall the original Robocop-sidescrolling arcade game, here's a fan remake of sorts where they accidentally put in ALL the 80s'-references.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
If I had a time machine, I would call Art Bell.
Is this you?
For those who recall the original Robocop-sidescrolling arcade game, here's a fan remake of sorts where they accidentally put in ALL the 80s'-references.

Robocop on the gameboy was pretty fun as a kid. 2 was better and should have been the inspiration. Why have all these story elements? Half the video is fanfic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom