Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Volourn said:
80s and 90s games were NOT hard. Why does the Codex keep that bullshit up? Espicially since the majority of Codexers who were fukkin' around to play the 80 and 90s games (including myself) managed to play and beat those old games despite likely not even being double digits age wise or barely there. FFS

If a 10 year old non progeny can beat it, it's not that fukkin' hard.

UVFFFFUUUUUU.jpg

:roll:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Roguey said:
30+ year old gamer claims AAA games have become too difficult, gets a featured post on Gamasutra. He really loves his underline and bold which makes it easier to quote:
playing AAA games on normal difficulty became an exercise in masochism which sucked every second of fun and enjoyment out of the experience.

By the end of 2010, the high difficulty levels became so problematic I stopped buying new games outright.
That's just the tip of the iceberg, he then goes on to talk about how the Mass Effect series has declined by becoming harder and claims that in his 30+ years of gaming he's never associated difficulty with fun. I wonder what was he playing back in the 80s and 90s? In the comments section he says the first Mass Effect is his all-time favorite so this question is going to be plaguing me for a while.

Funny. I'm a 30+ yo gamer and about 5 years ago found myself complaining about games being too easy on "normal", hence playing them on "hard/difficult" whenever possible (meaning, when some retarded developer didn't just spike "hard" to insanity by the means of multiplying the mobs' HP and count by 12).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jools said:
I am not only a heterophobe but

A "but" after a strong statement just denies it. As in, "no offense, BUT", "I don't wanna hurt you, BUT", etc...

Not the way he put it.

"Not only.... but" implies that the next statement that comes is going to be even stronger. What you mean would've been the case if he had said "I am a heterophobe, but" without the "not only" in between.

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
M4BE1R0 said:
Jools said:
ChristofferC said:
Jools said:
Excidium said:
Get referrer control if you're on firefox. Since i'm lazy I just copy the image url and open in another window.

Installed. What do I need to do now? Pictures still not showing. :/
Go into the settings for the addon and set the default to <Forge> or just set it to <Forge> for imageshack.

Thanks man. That worked.

:brofist:
It doesn't work here, and imageshack doesn't load anywhere :/
Just drag the image onto you tab bar.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"80s and 90s games were NOT hard."

So do you agree with his belief about today's games being harder than ever to the point where they've become an exercise in masochism? With Wizardry 4 and Pools of Darkness being a walk in the park and Mass Effect 2's difficulty like having bamboo sticks shoved under your nails?

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
JarlFrank said:
Jools said:
I am not only a heterophobe but

A "but" after a strong statement just denies it. As in, "no offense, BUT", "I don't wanna hurt you, BUT", etc...

Not the way he put it.

"Not only.... but" implies that the next statement that comes is going to be even stronger. What you mean would've been the case if he had said "I am a heterophobe, but" without the "not only" in between.

I totally missed the "only" bit, which makes your point totally right. I stand corrected. Guy's still a D-bag, tho. :P

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"So do you agree with his belief about today's games being harder than ever to the point where they've become an exercise in masochism? With Wizardry 4 and Pools of Darkness being a walk in the park and Mass Effect 2's difficulty like having bamboo sticks shoved under your nails?"

No. Difficulty has not changed.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Isn't difficulty kind of subjective, though? I mean, some people might find puzzles and dungeon-crawling common to DOS-era RPGs easy and FPS gunplay

OK, I can't even finish that. Yeah, games today are so hard that I have to play at the highest difficulty or I'll get bored and I still can't beat games like Solomon's Key, Lifepath, and Punch Out.

circ

Arcane
Well. I never did finish Wolfenstein 3D in high school. But I finished Mass Effect 1 on insanity, which you had to unlock by playing through it once. Was a cake walk. Erm wait, I did finish Wolf 3D later. HS one was a demo. But anyway, I died a shit ton.

Angthoron

Arcane
circ said:
Well. I never did finish Wolfenstein 3D in high school. But I finished Mass Effect 1 on insanity, which you had to unlock by playing through it once. Was a cake walk. Erm wait, I did finish Wolf 3D later. HS one was a demo. But anyway, I died a shit ton.

But dude, surely you realize that you finished ME 1 twice because it's so much more interesting than Wolf 3D which you only finished once.

dr. one

Augur
Angthoron said:
But dude, surely you realize that you finished ME 1 twice
More like thrice actually - by playing through the game once only hardcore difficulty is unlocked and insanity is unlocked by playing through the game on hardcore :).

racofer

Thread Incliner
KotOR series vs the Mass Effect series, which is better and why?

Let's see what the fine folks over at the Deadly Stream forums think about it!

Mass Effect's better, more polished, IMO. VO's for PC is great, Mass Effect 2's conversation moves are especially nice (like pushing a guy out of the window to interupt his boring ramble, for example). Combat system involves more skill than Kotor does, conversation wheel is generally more intuitive than plain old text (even though this may seem wrong to persons that would like that what they say be very clear...)... Anyway, both have their plus sides and downsides. For the Mass Effect downsides: they are not very open to modding, which is a pain in the arse if you want a bug to be fixed (by the way, be sure you recruit Samara BEFORE doing the Shadow broker DLC, for ME 2). Also, the maps are not without their flaws (you may fall out of the map in the collector ship, for instance. But then, this happens in TSL too, so...).

One thing however that makes me prefer ME over KotOR is the addition of COVERS. This is a very neat feature to get.

The ME series downside? Limited modding capabilities!

Comment rated as : :retarded:

I haven't played ME, but isn't it kind of hard to compare games made 8 years apart? That's a LONG time in video gaming... if KotOR were made today, think of how amazing it could be, even in comparison to how great the original was. I bet ME wouldn't stand a chance.

Great logic in there. I bet that's why tetris is so unpopular today.

Nah, it would stand a chance. Keep in mind that Kotor's Senior Writer was Drew Karpyshyn. It was his first time at basically directing the creation of a game stoy. 8 years later, he has gained some experience at writing and I strongly recommend you to look into playing Mass Effect before you judge-it down. If Karpyshyn was good for Kotor he was at least as good with ME. Not to mention with Star Wars, he did not have to create all aliens. Turians and Batarians are very well written. There are just tons of aliens and there is a real nice depht about them.

Yes, very well written Turians and Batarians are. Please refresh my memory, but what do the female gender of those species look like? I can't seen to remember...

And tons of aliens too! There are Turians, Batarians, Asari, Drell, Elcor, Hanar... and each of those species are so unique and have so much background info! The ME universe is just so immersive!

That thread is still new, it might be worth it to keep and eye out on it, or join their forums and "contribute".

:smug:

racofer

Thread Incliner
And here a small bonus from the Escapist boards to fry some polish potatoes:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.268550-Poll-SW-KOTOR-vs-Mass-Effect-vs-The-Witcher

if you don't like ME or kotor its pretty safe to say rpg's probably aren't your cup o tea, I consider myself to be a fan of the genre, and I don't think the witcher has anything new to offer, and thought it was rather dull, it reminded me of a single player mmorpg.

if bioware rpg's can't get you it to rpging (I'm talking western rpg's) it is very likely no other studio will, although you might want to give bethesda a shot...

2zjmhbd.gif

11. In the field of psychotherapy, there is a very effective technique called aversion therapy .When we associate or think of something very distasteful with something which has been pleasurable, but undesirable, the distasteful thought and feeling will begin to cancel out that which was pleasurable. If you associate something very distasteful with your loss of self control, it will help you to stop the act. For example, if you are tempted to masturbate, think of having to bathe in a tub of worms, and eat several of them as you do the act.

shit advice, this only gets me harder :x

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom