Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Toffeli said:
http://www.ripten.com/2011/07/11/think-youre-getting-10-off-skyrim-just-for-buying-oblivion-think-again/

This is just... amazing.

First, you have to buy a copy of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Collector’s Edition for full price. (Easy enough) $30

Then you have to buy The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and the Skyrim Official Strategy Guide for full price, no discounts allowed (not even store employees) $60 + $25

Now it gets fun:

You have to have bought Skyrim and the Strategy guide between 11/11 and 12/11 (One month window) at the same exact time and have them shown on the same receipt. (Don’t wanna lose that)

Last, but certainly not least: you have to cut off the UPC codes from all three items and mail them to Bethesda with the coupon from the anniversary edition and both of your receipts. Then, in just a few short weeks you’ll get… wait for it… a $10 Visa Gift Card!!

So, if you think buying the Oblivion collector’s edition and getting $10 off Skyrim is a good deal… think again.

In reality, you have to spend over $115 and jump through hoops to get a $10 gift card. Sweet deal..?

:retarded:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bioshock-Elder- ... 326&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elder-Scrolls-S ... 302&sr=8-2

I hate when they come up with offers without even checking the competition. For a mere 44.71£ you get Oblivion, Skyrim and Bioshock (well I know it's got nothing to do with the rest, but the Oblivion+Bioshock pack costed less than Oblivion on its own).

Funny.
With

Fens

Ford of the Llies
i remember atari acknowledging that unreal tournament 2k3 was crappy by giving 10 eurobux refunds to people who bought both ut 2k3 and ut 2k4 and sent in the last page of the 2k3 manual... no hoops

Fens

Ford of the Llies
Ed123 said:
Fens said:
i remember atari acknowledging that unreal tournament 2k3 was crappy by giving 10 eurobux refunds to people who bought both ut 2k3 and ut 2k4 and sent in the last page of the 2k3 manual... no hoops

Today they'd be all "Refund? But we gave you a whole new sequel!".
indeed... i doubt there will be a refund for UT3 should UT4 ever happen

and there should definitely be compensation for gears of war... just for its existence, not because somebody might have bought it

Ed123 said:
Hello, i'd like to explain a few things about this forum...

I started this forum to discuss my feelings about an unbalanced distribution of content on IGN.com regarding their (rather crass and pointless...) 'Babe Of The Week' column that the website publishes once a week. I also asked a query about whether the 'Zero Punctuation' writer, Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw was homophobic.

I honestly thought it would be a civil and mundane discussion, in fact, I didn't really think the forum would get any attention at all. That plan did not happen as everyone who has been on this forum can attest to. Some people were very civil and did not attack me or insult my intelligence or perceived motives whilst others were sometimes blatantly looking to cause trouble and others were just very difficult to discuss the issue with.

I wasn't expecting to have to defend not only myself, my own personal morals and beliefs but those of every LGBT person as well. A number of people misinterpreted my 'agenda' with this forum. According to many of the comments, I am not only a heterophobe but I am insecure in my sexuality (which is homosexual...) and I am a demanding, unrealistic person who should not be talking about this issue because, apparently, LGBT people 'complain too much' and that 'there is no issue at all'. These comments forced me to defend myself and my moral stance, something I did not think I would have to do.

A number of the comments pointed me to reasons why Yahtzee is not homophobic and a couple, in particular, linked me to an 'Extra Punctuation' article of his where he discusses Dragon Age 2 and the romances within the game. After reading the article in it's entirety, I concluded that Yahtzee is, indeed, not homophobic. I'd appreciate it if posters would refrain from bringing that topic up again as I have accepted that he isn't homophobic.

Now, in regards to my criticism of IGN and their 'Babe Of The Week' column, I had a problem with the article for two reasons: 1. IGN does have a majority audience of males but that majority is being caught up to greatly by females (and LGBT males) so having a 'Babe Of The Week' column seems unequal so I don't see why they should not have a 'Hunk Of The Week' column to balance that out and, therefore, give their female readers (and LGBT males) a reason to be on par with the male readers. 2. The whole website does not state they have a specific demographic and they are supposed to be a video game and multimedia website, yet they have this pointless column which is clearly aimed at straight males and, accidentally, lesbian females and which has nothing to do with video games at all so if IGN insists on having a 'Babe Of The Week' column, why not have a 'Hunk Of The Week' column for straight females and LGBT males? IGN does have female writers, such as Kristine Steiner, so it's not like it'd be 'too difficult' a task for them to achieve.

This brings me to the false assertion that all my 'demands' above were about me wanting 'special treatment' because i'm gay. This is just not true at all, my policy is EQUALITY which means that I only wish to be equal with the majority and all the priviledges they have such as marriage equality, respect in all industries, a large pool of role models to look up to and sufficent, fair and effective representation in my favourite entertainment medium: video games. Now, if all that makes me 'heterophobic' or 'selfish' than so be it.

I can tell you all that I am 100% not 'heterophobic' and that I 100% only wish for EQUALITY with the majority (straight males) in regards to video game representation. Some of you have made arguments about you not being homophobic and not caring about whether someone is LGBT or not, but that's not the point of this at all. The point is that, even though we wish our sexuality was a moot point and simply didn't matter, i'm afraid it does.

LGBT people, like every other minority that preceeded it, has had to deal with unjust prejudice and discrimination against them from the majority, and often the other minorities that preceeded it and those that exist alongside it today. I believe that this is due to the lack of understanding of lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgenders in the majority and also, just plain ignorance. This affects LGBT people in ways that I think are difficult for the majority to empathise with as they (straight males), have never had to deal with prejudice and discrimination in the way we have, unless they are of an ethnic minority such as African-Americans who, as an ethnic group have gone through very similar things to us.

I truly don't define myself by my sexuality and I am fully comfortable in my sexuality but I can't deny that it is a very important factor in my life and in society in today's world. If it wasn't, there wouldn't be a problem and this forum would not exist. But there is a problem as the majority are dominant in almost every part of societal structure and therefore, the minorities are going to have less representation which isn't right.

My ultimate purpose of the forum was to discuss why that was and if other people have witnessed or been a victim of this very real and very complex issue.

I noticed that the forum was becoming very personal and very political/religious so I decided to repurpose the forum from being about IGN's 'Babe Of The Week' column, Yahtzee and an underlying tone of homophobia in the video game industry to being a wider forum for the ongoing societal/social problems of 'LGBT Civil Rights issues Regarding Video Games'.

I am posting a couple of links to an article and a video, both of which inspired me to make this forum in the first place. Both are from The Escapist. The first link is to an article that The Escapist did in Issue 222 in 2009 and it is about the underlying tone of homophobia in video games. The video is the episode of 'Extra Credits' that discussed sexuality.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... and-Narrow
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... -Diversity

Thanks. I hope you can all remain civil and just in your comments. :)

Fuck I hate it when internet posters over-summarise their views just so that they can keep their posts brief!

Angthoron

Arcane
What the fuck does "babe of the week" or "hunk of the week" or "tranny of the week" have to do with a supposedly gaming site anyway. I don't give a fuck about genders represented but I always felt that that part of the site was undermining the otherwise serious and legitimate criticism and opinion network that is the IGN.

spekkio

Arcane
New Torchlight user review on Mobygames:

This is one of the rare games where I get lost before all the tutorials are done and lose interest before figuring out what I did wrong. I was ordered to go back into a dungeon and find a location on the Third floor. Once I got back to the right floor I just started looking for it, but everything looked exactly the same and I ended up walking in circles without noticing. I also had a quest that told me to go a library, but never quite told me where the library was, there were a lot of quests that did this and it just left me confused and annoyed after just two hours of gameplay.

When you want to fight in this game you need to click on your opponent, when you want to walk in this game you need to click on the floor. This would be alright if the enemies weren't constantly moving around, but sadly they do. I have fought at least fifty groups of enemies and every single one of them was an uncontrollable mess. You want to hit an enemy, but you end up walking towards him instead. It's also annoying when you want to cast spells because it just ignored my commands half the time. You would think this means the fighting is hard, but no, there is no challenge to this. Once the enemies stand still you just hold down the button until they die and sometimes you use a potion to keep yourself alive.

It has the same problem as Borderlands where it just feels like the game takes 1% from another game and tried to present it as its own, in this case World of Warcraft. The graphics were pretty much identical aside from a lack of light (might have been my gamma settings); you have the same interface and everything is presented the same way. It's very odd to say the least, but World of Warcraft was a really entertaining game, so you'd think a rip-off of this magnitude would be slightly entertaining, right? The answer is "no".

The writing is deliberately kept simple, so the game can focus on the action, but this is a solution I can only respect so many times. When Borderlands did it, I cheered for it and I did the same for Portal, but by now it just starts to feel like the developers are lazy. I buy a game because I want an interactive story, I don't like it when I put a disc in my computer and discover that only the interaction is inside though. One last thing: please stop teasing us with cut-scenes and dialogue, if you don't want to tell a decent story you shouldn't have to interrupt the interaction with this kind of stuff.

My final complaint is that the town is very small and there is only one, you do practically no travelling around the main world and spend most of your time in the copy & pasted dungeons instead. This made me really sad because I have to agree that underground caverns aren't that interesting and there is little to no variety in there, but in other RPG's we at least get to visit some other places like castles or meadows. It's kind of funny how the town is so dark though, it makes it feel like you're still under the ground.
Successfull troll or an honest retard - who knows?

Fens

Ford of the Llies
Angthoron said:
What the fuck does "babe of the week" or "hunk of the week" or "tranny of the week" have to do with a supposedly gaming site anyway. I don't give a fuck about genders represented but I always felt that that part of the site was undermining the otherwise serious and legitimate criticism and opinion network that is the IGN.
:lol: :salute:

Fens

Ford of the Llies
spekkio said:
New Torchlight user review on Mobygames:
Successfull troll or an honest retard - who knows?
review written by
Nickname: Pixelspeech
E-Mail Address: (private)
Contribution Rating: 227 (tied for 684th; 226 in last year)
Homepage: http://www.youtube.com/user/itsgamingfriend
Member Since 24 Apr 2011
# Messages Posted: 3
About myself: Name: Casper Bronmans

Alias: Pixelspeech

Born: 4th of December 1994

Birthplace: Varik

Gaming since: 1998

FAQ;

Q: What's your favorite game/franchise?

A: The F.E.A.R. franchise is my favorite franchise, but my favorite game is "The Path"

Q: What do you write at WCS?

A: Dialogue, quests and boss-fights for our upcoming RPG called: "Elliptical Diffusions"

Q: What was your first game?

A; Super Mario 64, but Ocarina of Time was the first game I finished on my own.

Q: Are games art?

A: Without a doubt.

Q: Why did you give [game] a bad review?

A: I am a very picky person when it comes to games, so I really want something original and enjoyable for my money.

It takes a very...special person to get lost before finishing the tutorial in a diablo clone. Even my 60 year old mom once referred to one (don't remember which, she passed by and looked over my shoulder) as "autistic", because "you just have to run forward forever and kill the monsters in the way, you never do anything else".

spekkio

Arcane
So, what's your opinion? My bet is that he's a PRO trol.

;)

On more serious note - with devs like him, the huge "Why current games are shit" mystery is easily solved...

:decline:

Fens

Ford of the Llies
he admits to failing at half life 2, which even the best troll would be too ashamed of to claim

about his writing: i'd have to see it before i judge it, but given that the white circle studios forum header is just a random assortment of manga images, i think i'll pass

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Angthoron said:

i_see_what_you_did_there.jpg

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Rasputin said:
Bible Black is ok until the ''very'' weird stuff starts.

I know what you mean. Still, it has a better "plot" than quite a few mainstream anime I've seen (or movies, or videogames, for that matter).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
30+ year old gamer claims AAA games have become too difficult, gets a featured post on Gamasutra. He really loves his underline and bold which makes it easier to quote:
playing AAA games on normal difficulty became an exercise in masochism which sucked every second of fun and enjoyment out of the experience.

By the end of 2010, the high difficulty levels became so problematic I stopped buying new games outright.
That's just the tip of the iceberg, he then goes on to talk about how the Mass Effect series has declined by becoming harder and claims that in his 30+ years of gaming he's never associated difficulty with fun. I wonder what was he playing back in the 80s and 90s? In the comments section he says the first Mass Effect is his all-time favorite so this question is going to be plaguing me for a while.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
80s and 90s games were NOT hard. Why does the Codex keep that bullshit up? Espicially since the majority of Codexers who were fukkin' around to play the 80 and 90s games (including myself) managed to play and beat those old games despite likely not even being double digits age wise or barely there. FFS

If a 10 year old non progeny can beat it, it's not that fukkin' hard.

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
spekkio said:
Screw you, Bible Black >>>>>>> Elder Scroll series.

:rpgcodex:
It actually has C&C, too. It has 11 endings and depending on which sex slave you choose and whether you choose to cum on the unconscious body of the girl whom you humiliated by making her strip and masturbate in front the class via black magic, you can actually be fucked to death. Take that, BioWare. :smug:

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Jools said:
ChristofferC said:
Jools said:
Excidium said:
Get referrer control if you're on firefox. Since i'm lazy I just copy the image url and open in another window.

Installed. What do I need to do now? Pictures still not showing. :/
Go into the settings for the addon and set the default to <Forge> or just set it to <Forge> for imageshack.

Thanks man. That worked.

:brofist:
It doesn't work here, and imageshack doesn't load anywhere :/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom