Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
racofer said:
And here a small bonus from the Escapist boards to fry some polish potatoes:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.268550-Poll-SW-KOTOR-vs-Mass-Effect-vs-The-Witcher

if you don't like ME or kotor its pretty safe to say rpg's probably aren't your cup o tea, I consider myself to be a fan of the genre, and I don't think the witcher has anything new to offer, and thought it was rather dull, it reminded me of a single player mmorpg.

if bioware rpg's can't get you it to rpging (I'm talking western rpg's) it is very likely no other studio will, although you might want to give bethesda a shot...

2zjmhbd.gif
:lol:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Clockwork Knight said:
http://social.bioware.com/*http:/social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/9/index/2424238/1

The fuck? I had this tab open for a while, but just now I noticed something. Look at all the usernames, carefully...
Well, DA is a lot like KOTOR...

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
metalcraze33 said:
I like both but Alistair is sooo disapproving of the random murder my characters enjoy and he doesn't get the whole whatever it takes idea.

I find Zev's kinkiness endearing and plus he has an accent and a troubled past that makes you want to hug him.

:lol: Good one.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Crooked Bee said:
metalcraze33 said:
I like both but Alistair is sooo disapproving of the random murder my characters enjoy and he doesn't get the whole whatever it takes idea.

I find Zev's kinkiness endearing and plus he has an accent and a troubled past that makes you want to hug him.

Somehow, I am not surprised.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Ulminati said:
Crooked Bee said:
metalcraze33 said:

Somehow, I am not surprised.
That may not be him

catfood

AGAIN
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!11 THIS IS WORSE THAN FINDING OUT THAT SANTA DOESN'T EXIST!!

My role model turned out to be a fake. My innocence is forever shattered. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It's not hard to imagine skyway as having more or less permanent PMS. Actually, this explains a lot about him her.

Needles

Scholar
racofer said:

if you don't like ME or kotor its pretty safe to say rpg's probably aren't your cup o tea, I consider myself to be a fan of the genre, and I don't think the witcher has anything new to offer, and thought it was rather dull, it reminded me of a single player mmorpg.

Pretty much spot on: if you don't like ME, you won't like modern RPGs in general.
Witcher is actually quite dull (it doesn't remind me of MMORPGS at all, since they tend to be less boring, have less artificial boundaries, less running around uselessly, better combat, better item and character skill systems etc....)

What exactly was funny about this guy's post?

Radisshu

Prophet
Needles said:
racofer said:

Pretty much spot on: if you don't like ME, you won't like modern RPGs in general.
Witcher is actually quite dull (it doesn't remind me of MMORPGS at all, since they tend to be less boring, have less artificial boundaries, less running around uselessly, better combat, better item and character skill systems etc....)

What exactly was funny about this guy's post?
That s/he thinks ME and KOTOR are what defines an RPG.

racofer

Thread Incliner
More from the escapisturd forums:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.175845-Zero-Punctuation-Mass-Effect-2?page=13#5020263

As for ME2, I was more hateful of the lack of variety in weaponry than anything else. Any so-called RPG which has less unique weapons or tools than levels you can acquire is just scraping the line. I understand that Bioware may be a little tired of RPGs, and this is the first somewhat-action-oriented game they've done in 15 long years, but you don't need to sacrifice combat mechanics to give the players a little more choice in what they can use. That said, I didn't have too many other problems with the game; Bioware's writing is superb as always, and the characters are far more interesting than their counterparts from the first game. I just think it's a problem that it's not as much of an RPG as it could be.

What we learned:

1) RPG's require itamz variety to be called RPG's;
2) ME2 was Bioware's first action oriented game in 15 years;
3) ME2's characters have more depth than in ME1;

:retarded:

But wait, there's more from that guy:

As for the somebody who talked about Planescape and Bloodlines.... first off, I would disagree with Bloodlines being a good story, but that's me. Planescape was a really good game, excellent story, but a part of that stems from the D&D universe it takes place in. It's a lot easier to simply expand onto a certain area than it is to create an entirely new one, and Bioware did a tremendous job in themselves in creating both the Dragon Age universe (which will no doubt garner criticism, people will say, "Oh, but DA is just a copycat of Tolkien and steals from too many outside sources, how could it be its own universe?"; but really, there is a mountain of unique intellectual property under the thin crust covering it that represents the basic premise) and Mass Effect. The last time Bioware had the opportunity to build on an existing universe, we got the best RPG of the decade and the best Star Wars property in the last 2 decades.

:lol:

What we learned:

1) Bloodlines doesn't have a good story, but ME/DA does;
2) PS:T takes place on the D&D universe;
3) DA universe is unique and original. Call sir as ser and you're original. Where's my wine poultice...
4) KotOR is the best RPG of the decade;

Had enough? Well, that dude didn't:

I feel that story is a word that's used inappropriately in the modern age. People see the words, "good story" and immediately assume that it means, "good plot". A story is more than plot: you have characters, settings, conflicts, points of view, themes, etc. While Planescape may have a better plot, persay, it doesn't necessarily have a better story (with slight emphasis on -er; it's still an amazingly good story in itself). Take KOTOR, a game with an excellent plot in itself (it's mired in cliche, but the jaw-dropping plot twist you will never see coming rectifies that a fair bit), but it's really sold by its character, its paradigms, and its primary issue with good vs evil. Those are the things that give it a better story than something like Planescape.

What we learned:

1) KotOR has better story than PS:T;
2) KotOR's plot twist was so well executed nobody ever saw it coming;
3) He's a moron.

He finishes his post with this:

Look, though; the best RPG ever, if you actually look at the whole title (Role Playing Game), must be Fallout or Fallout 2. Any game which limits your conversation options to hurs and grrs based on your character's intelligence level deserves the title.

... but doubt he ever played those games. And the reason he remembers those games are probably because he was able to properly roleplay a character based on himself.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I feel that story is a word that's used inappropriately in the modern age. People see the words, "good story" and immediately assume that it means, "good plot". A story is more than plot

Literature class 101:

Plot = "The king died because he was murdered by poison, then the queen died of grief."
Story = "The king died. Then the queen died."

Basically, story is just a sequence of events, while plot is the deeper reasons behind the story. So, plot is more than story, while story is less than plot.

But then again, yes, it seems that most game stories today are only story, no plot. :lol:

racofer

Thread Incliner
http://www.wrestlingforum.com/video-games/532775-mass-effect-2-overrated-piece-2.html#post9203721

Mass Effect has a great story, the cutscenes are brilliantly done, and the ability to choose your own speech options and actions make them so much more enjoyable.

Not to mention it has a PERFECT blend of cutscene to gameplay ratio. I love it.

20 to 1 is pretty good these days, I take it?

ME2 is good, but it dosen't touch Fallout.
Agreed. I think ME2 is horribly overrated, but it's still a good game.

And by Fallout, he means FO3, obviously.

Fallout just has so much DEPTH, and so many possibilities, along with what, in my opinion, is a much more original setting. Along with that, you have all the little side things, and easter eggs, etc. ME is overrated, but it's still pretty good.

yes so very true and is one of the few games I love to play over and over again. I have the GOTY of fallout 3 and the collectors edition of New Vegas.

Yep. FO3.

Mass Effect's Bioware's 4th or 5th best game

And since this was posted before DA2, I take it he meant ME is the worst Bioware game, probably only ahead of Shattered Steel (which nobody even knows exist and is Bioware's best game yet).

I think Mass Effect 2 is overrated in the extreme, although not for the reasons mentioned by the thread poster.

For me, ME2 is summarised thus:

- No story
- No sense of exploration
- Substandard and stripped down RPG elements
- A scarce amount of sidequests, which were pointless, regardless
- Distinct lack of gameplay options in order to tackle the game in multiple ways
- Low grade character development
- A poor and inconsequential levelling system
- Tiresome and tedious planet scanning
- A failure to adequately address many of the decisions made in the first game
- An experience that was entirely forgettable, and in all probability will have little impact on the next Mass Effect.

For me, personally, Mass Effect 2 is easily the most disappointing sequel that I have ever played.

You see, there're still some people outside fair Codexia with minimal cognitive capabilities, albeit it's a rare sighting.

I preferred the original Mass Effect by far, as I considered it superior in all respects apart from the gunplay.Now there's a masterpiece for you!

Forget what I just said.

I'm really starting to think people who bash ME 2's story just can't figure out everything that's going on and it's going over their heads.

2l9nx1s.jpg

~Right... 65-70% of ME2 consisted of collecting your team, but you're ignoring the greatest aspect of ME2. Which was building the identities of those characters and establishing them as permanent staples of the franchise.

ffbjfa.jpg

And no, it doesn't really matter what class your Shepard is, you can still complete every mission with either of the six squad classes requardless, but that's not the point. It still influences the way you complete those missions. Whether you attack them with biotics or tech and such. There's about 10 different ways to effectively take down any swarm of enemies you encounter on the game. ME2 was just more about game-play and not so much exploration and such. It was a different approach for sure, but that doesn't take away from how much it added to the fundamental storyline which was still brilliant despite how you want to slice it.

1059udt.jpg

I actually thought Ashley was the worst character on ME1, which is why I guess she was barred from the sequel. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I actually thought Miranda's story was a lot deeper and more compelling than some typical army brat that was Ashley.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU!!?!

Mass Effect 2 is far from overrated. And if you believe that Metal Gear Solid 4 is overrated too then you know nothing about games and can't appreciate deep engaging games.

sqkpl3.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom