Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Torment easter egg in facebook gamespreadsheet with pretty pictures Dawn of the Dragons.

ME9EK.png

circ

Arcane
Matt7895 said:
Of course, those who have watched Memento will know that the guy in the picture is actually telling the truth, and the main character deliberately chooses to think he is lying.
Of course, some of those who have watched Memento actually think it's a good movie too.

Crispy said:
http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1249702-will-you-have-a-bow-in-skyrim-thats-is-like-the-mirv-from-fallout-3/

It said:
will you have a bow in skyrim thats is like the MIRV from fallout 3? it would be an awesome wepon

I swear I only went there for a second. Just for a second!

it said:
Sometimes I wonder how old some people are on this board.. <_<

i am 12 years old quit cod interested in this game,want fun stuff :icecream:

trololololo

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Jaesun said:
Excidium said:
Cool.

There's also a PS:T reference in wow.

How's that a PST reference?
One of the quotes that can show up when you activate the item is "what can change the nature of a man?" It has a quote by Irenicus too. (There's a list down on the comments)

SerratedBiz

Arcane
there are so many rules in Unreal Software
Do you know that deformation of character ( flame ) is actually illegal? If you insult someone you can actually be taken to court and fined/imprisoned.

Stop deforming people or you can go to jail.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Oh, so that's why I couldn't find this thread. Someone moved the BEST THREAD EVAR to GG.

You have successfully removed Jaesun from your BRO list

You used to be cool man :(

Flatlander

Liturgist
Before this generation, games used to be simple and maybe told good stories but were rather limited. I am not bashing them but they were still in their infancy. For the first time ever we are living in a time where games have reached a new level of cinematic storytelling that is comparable if not better than most Hollywood movies. I was playing Ghostbusters the video game and while it has its flaws it is still pretty damn fun to play and hear the actors together having fun and allowing the player to explore this universe. Then we have games like Mass Effect that seem to be better science fiction than any of the new Star Wars films. Not to mention we have the uncharted series which is like Indiana Jones. There are so many good games out there that really tell many good stories and I have to say that right now I believe we live in a golden age of gaming. The fact that so many good games have come out over the years always pushing the bar to a new level is fantastic. What are your thoughts on this matter?
http://www.reddit.com/r/truegaming/comments/lx4fu/living_in_a_golden_age_of_gaming/

This isn't even funny anymore...

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I struggle to recall any good Star Wars game since the days of X-Wing and Tie Fighter that combine the best of both worlds: game and storytelling. Being in the service of the Emperor is like a space-sim like no other. A very impersonal conflict awaits all hapless TIE pilots on their first run without shields and just twin laser cannons against the rebel scums. The finale flying alongside Vader to rescue the Emperor was as far as creator Holland can push before George Lucas steps in. It's a shame we are not allowed to change the course of Death Star history...

UserNamer

Cipher
Sacculina said:
Direct me to a scholarly account of human civilization showing that obese people have been regarded as inherently inferior and unable to rise above that for pretty much the entire length of history.

Edit: According to the site I linked, a good guy says 'bitch' too.

That's fucking stupid because no woman in the western world has any account or direct experience with such a state of affair, so getting offended for that is really fucking stupid and just a way to attention-whore.

Also, the word bitch has nothing to do with regarding womankind at large "as inherently inferior", as bitch refers to a pretty specific sub-group of women, one catwoman and harley I would argue belong to

It's also really dumb because women weren't really considered inferior... sure, someone argued for their inferiority but mostly civilization just had more rigid roles for the sexes, it didn't meant women were considered subhuman by everyone, on the contrary they were highly respected. Raping women or beating your wife was punished harshly, "women and children first" was a rule that was generally followed, there were ton of mythological and respected female figures, and let's not forget all the women emporers\queens.

The last reason why that is bullshit is that even if women were considered inferior in the past (a past no one has a direct memory of) does that mean we can not make fun of any woman for the rest of eternity? No harsh word for women, no matter what she does, for eternity?

The only argument I can understand is that the word bitch is repeated too often, but that's annoying per se, just like the overly enthusiastic use of the words fuck and fucking in fallout 3.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Flatlander said:
Before this generation, games used to be simple and maybe told good stories but were rather limited. I am not bashing them but they were still in their infancy. For the first time ever we are living in a time where games have reached a new level of cinematic storytelling that is comparable if not better than most Hollywood movies. I was playing Ghostbusters the video game and while it has its flaws it is still pretty damn fun to play and hear the actors together having fun and allowing the player to explore this universe. Then we have games like Mass Effect that seem to be better science fiction than any of the new Star Wars films. Not to mention we have the uncharted series which is like Indiana Jones. There are so many good games out there that really tell many good stories and I have to say that right now I believe we live in a golden age of gaming. The fact that so many good games have come out over the years always pushing the bar to a new level is fantastic. What are your thoughts on this matter?
http://www.reddit.com/r/truegaming/comments/lx4fu/living_in_a_golden_age_of_gaming/

Kain talks a bit about the state of the games industry at the start here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVy3PoLXUaI

hoopy

Savant
Reddit said:
Before this generation, games used to be simple and maybe told good stories but were rather limited. I am not bashing them but they were still in their infancy.
"Before this generation" means PS2, Xbox and GameCube. This guy has to be 14 years old or something (and definitely a console gamer since he perceives games to have generations).

For the first time ever we are living in a time where games have reached a new level of cinematic storytelling that is comparable if not better than most Hollywood movies.
Considering the sorry state of Hollywood, this might actually be true.

I was playing Ghostbusters the video game and while it has its flaws it is still pretty damn fun to play and hear the actors together having fun and allowing the player to explore this universe. Then we have games like Mass Effect that seem to be better science fiction than any of the new Star Wars films. Not to mention we have the uncharted series which is like Indiana Jones. There are so many good games out there that really tell many good stories and I have to say that right now I believe we live in a golden age of gaming. The fact that so many good games have come out over the years always pushing the bar to a new level is fantastic. What are your thoughts on this matter?
A new golden age of gaming, yet all he talks about are the stories. But what amazing stories they are! Ghostbusters is based on a movie, Uncharted is Indiana Jones with the serial numbers filed off, and Mass Effect somehow manages to be better than the fantastic Star Wars prequels. Truly these are amazing accomplishments. In the bad old days we only had junk like Grim Fandango, but then BioWare descended from the heavens to transport us away from those dark ages.

Hahaha, from the comments:
I'd be willing to argue that the plot in the last two ME games can hold their own with most other RPG's past or present. And this is coming from someone who grew up with Final Fantasy 4,5,6,7 etc as well as a plethora of other titles.
:lol:

Flatlander

Liturgist
hoopy said:
Hahaha, from the comments:
I'd be willing to argue that the plot in the last two ME games can hold their own with most other RPG's past or present. And this is coming from someone who grew up with Final Fantasy 4,5,6,7 etc as well as a plethora of other titles.
:lol:
This right here is part of the problem. Even the majority of the "grown up" gamers don't have the slightest clue about anything that wasn't released for the (S)NES.

Sacculina

Educated
UserNamer said:
Wall of derp

There's so much ignorance and obtuseness here I'm not even going to deign to answer each instance of it. If you want to seriously argue this, then read the entire article I linked earlier, then PM me. I won't have the thread contaminated by this nonsense any longer.

RoboHermes

Novice
*unlurk*

Mass Effects Story Lines are mostly rip-offs from Deep Space 9 anyway.

*back to lurking*

btw, Sacculina is right.

ChristofferC

Magister
Flatlander said:

Ffs go watch a movie if you want to have a cinematic experience.

:x

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Flatlander said:

That was depressing reading. :(

But a user called Campstar made some good point and this made me smile:
I play DOOM and I picture John Carmack and John Romero in a dimly lit office at 3 AM, wearing jeans and t-shirts, working on the game with Metallica blaring in the background, D&D character sheets littering the office. In the middle of a screeching guitar solo, they both nod at each other: This game is going to be awesome.

I play RAGE and I see two guys in business casual, pensively nodding in approval as they note that first person games are currently popular, post-apocalypse games are an "in" thing these days, and that the game looks pretty enough to ship. Amidst the gunfire of the gameplay in the video (they wouldn't sully themselves by playing the game) they nod in agreement: The game should meet quarterly projections.

UserNamer

Cipher
Sacculina there is not much to argue about, as I think it is self evident that thinking the use of the word bitch by low life thugs whose main purpose is getting the shit beaten out of them in a video game is an offense to all women.

Also what if those thugs actually don't respect women... do we have to erase all kind of non women respecting figures from media because it is an offense to women because women had defined roles in the past so offending any woman is offensive to all women because in the past women had defined roles even if said women have no memory of such a society- do you see how tortuous this kind of logic is?

My proposal is that if people take offense at this kind of stuff, they should just kindly fuck off, no hard feelings.

What are you proposing exactly? Nothing that is even remotely offensive to women, forever? No depiction of women hating rapist thugs in batman videogames, even if they get the shit beaten out of them, forever, because women in the past had more rigid social roles?

This whole thing is pure idiocy and full of unreasonable intolerance. It's just that we have been conditioned to take offense to shit like this, but if you think two seconds about it I think it is evident how retarded it really is.

The only sensible criticism of arkham city's usage of the word bitch is it incessant repetition.

Sacculina

Educated
UserNamer said:
Wall to wall, cover-based derp
See previous response.

But since you fail so spectacularly at reading comprehension, perhaps you need a tutorial and some protips. I'll do my best. Here's my walkthrough:

1. Go through my previous posts.

2. Try to find a single instance where I have said that the word 'bitch' shouldn't be used in Arkham City.

3. Read the article I linked.

4. Read my other posts on the topic.

5. Understand exactly what I was and wasn't talking about.

Until you've done all of these, you're not worth responding to. And kindly refrain from repeatedly dragging GD shit into this thread.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Ulminati said:
Oh, so that's why I couldn't find this thread. Someone moved the BEST THREAD EVAR to GG.

You can thank the people that constantly de-railed this. It's been basically a pocket universe of GD for months now.

It hasn't been RPG related for a long time.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Jaesun said:
Ulminati said:

You can thank the people that constantly de-railed this. It's been basically a pocket universe of GD for months now.

It hasn't been RPG related for a long time.
I vote for leaving it where it gets the most views, for more potential :incline:/drama, it's not like the thread is better "on rails" anyway

UserNamer

Cipher
Sacculina said:
UserNamer said:
Wall to wall, cover-based derp
See previous response.

But since you fail so spectacularly at reading comprehension, perhaps you need a tutorial and some protips. I'll do my best. Here's my walkthrough:

1. Go through my previous posts.

2. Try to find a single instance where I have said that the word 'bitch' shouldn't be used in Arkham City.

3. Read the article I linked.

4. Read my other posts on the topic.

5. Understand exactly what I was and wasn't talking about.

Until you've done all of these, you're not worth responding to. And kindly refrain from repeatedly dragging GD shit into this thread.

it's not everything about you, bitch... I just wanted to express my view on this, and I responded to one of your posts where you said something particularly dumb (or maybe I just disagreed strongly with) on the matter... I don't give half a shit about your other 100 posts on the matter and I'm not going to read that fucking stupid piece of shit article in all caps by some effeminate easily offended nerd...

Also kindly fuck off whore

UserNamer

Cipher
sorry I said fuck off whore, I meant go get raped, bitch

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom