Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Grim Monk

Arcane
Desperate Housewives of Skyrim

Robert Rath | 29 November 2012 12:00 pm

Sometimes I worry that my wife is going to leave me. She can't, I know she can't, but that worries me even more.

Please don't misunderstand me, I don't want her to leave, but if it's what she wants, she needs to be able to leave me. Because otherwise we're trapped together. And though life in Skyrim is brief I don't know if I can stand even the short time we're allotted on this plane.

Once we had so much promise. I confess, even when I first met her-when I meddled in the little love triangle between her, Sven, and Faendal - I kept casting my eyes toward the Riverwood Trader and thinking how much better I was than either of them. Of course, I was nothing then, just some one-eyed Nord delivering messages, not at all worthy of a nice Imperial girl working in a respectable shop. But then I learned the Voice, then I became a Thane of Whiterun, then I got a nice respectable house in the Plains District. Then I heard the eagerness in her voice when I returned the Golden Claw to the shop. (What girl doesn't love a man who'd clean out a barrow full of Draugr for her? The more you smite, the more they're smitten.) It was a lovely wedding. We had a spark then.

Any spark is long dead, smothered in the ashes of endless cook fires and the drudgery of everyday life. She has her shop and I have my adventuring, and we never meet in-between. "Hello my love, home from some adventure, I bet," she says when I get home, over and over. When I leave, it's "Goodbye, my love," in that breathy, disappointed tone of hers. She's constantly thanking me for bringing the Claw back where it belongs. I used to wonder why she still talked about that when it happened years ago, then I realized that the Claw was the only thing we've shared other than a home.

But is that my fault? We never talk about anything. Our lives are totally separate. Even when she greets me by saying I'm home from an adventure, I can't tell her what I've been doing. Maybe that's better, how would that conversation go?

"What did you do today, my love?" she'd say.

"Interestingly enough," I'd say, "I traveled to Sovngarde, land of the glorious dead, and gained entrance to the Hall of Valor by defeating the god Tsun in single combat. Then I rallied the heroes of old to battle and defeat the World-Eater dragon Alduin, thus saving Tamriel from annihilation."

Then there'd be a long silence, and I'd add: "How was your day at the shop?"

She wouldn't have any interesting stories because never leaves the house. She doesn't have hobbies, she doesn't have friends, she doesn't even go to the temple as far as I know; all she does is manage her shop and occasionally cook or use the alchemy lab. I want her to be happy, but I feel like she's isn't really trying. Most of the time when I come home, I just find her sitting in a chair, staring at nothing. Sometimes she sits at the kitchen table, drinking endlessly from a pewter mug. That's when I feel the worst, watching her fill the uneasy silence between us with mead, as if she can take the uneasy quiet of our years together and drown them like a bag of rats. Who'd have thought marrying the Dragonborn would make her life so dull?

But no, I'm projecting. It's my fault. I'm a terrible husband.

I leave for weeks without telling her when I'll be back. When I return, I crash in at any time of the day or night, covered in blood, stinking of potions and Nord mead. Instead of returning her greeting, I walk past her and start rummaging in the drawers and cabinets for coins, scattering plates and cups. Then I trudge up to our bedroom and shovel equipment into the chest: axes, breastplates, spell books and orichalcum ore. None of that would be too bad if it weren't for the dead things, the wolf pelts and giants' toes, raw beef and dragon bones. I really hope Falmer Ears don't smell, because I've got about thirty in there. All of that next to the bed we sleep in - or don't sleep in, I suppose. I'm a werewolf, so apparently a little Lover's Comfort is out of the question.

That done, I stomp downstairs again still wearing my armor to talk to Camilla. First I ask her for a home cooked meal. When I get that, I ask about her shop - but really I don't care about how the shop's doing, I'm just asking for my weekly cut. Once I have my food and my money, I leave without saying goodbye.

In a twist of tragic irony, my house is named "Breezehome." And that's what I do, I breeze in and out when I feel like it.

After doing this for months, I started to feel guilty. By "I" I don't mean Helsher, the Level 70 Nord, I mean Rob Rath, the 28 year-old game journalist. The whole relationship between Helsher and Camilla was wrong. Very wrong. And what bothered me most about it was that this wasn't a "bad" relationship as far as Skyrim was concerned, it was just the normal day-to-day interaction between husband and wife.

This weird dissonance didn't come about through misogynistic programmers or some kind of wish to replicate a medieval relationship (after all, the same thing happens if you marry a man) but simply through a lack of options. Really, that's what bothered me the most - I didn't want to be a bad Skyrim husband, but the game didn't give me any other choice. I literally couldn't ask Camilla how her day was, or tell her she looked nice, or come home to find she was out on some business. I couldn't even say goodbye when I left or tell her how long I'd be. Even more unnerving was the lack of physical contact. Here's a list of things my character couldn't give his wife: a hug, a kiss, a pat on the back, a peck on the cheek, a firm handshake, a present. Instead, the only interactions are: give me food, give me money, and we're moving somewhere else.

To anyone who's been in a relationship, this seems really weird, a combination of loveless sterility and domestic exploitation. If I treated my real-life girlfriend the way characters in Skyrim treat their spouses, she wouldn't be my girlfriend anymore.

Without a doubt, part of the problem is that relationships are a challenging thing to get right in any game, much less an RPG. Relationships are difficult to portray in games because the audience's familiarity with a real-world experience narrows the margin of error. None of us know what it feels like to fight a dragon, so developers have a lot of leeway to fudge details - but everyone knows what it's like to be in love. Our brains are so attuned to picking up social cues and emotional undertones that when we see a relationship so stilted and lacking in intimacy, it's hard not to feel that doubt and hostility are bubbling beneath the surface.

Skyrim's character models, unfortunately, contribute to this sense of dissonance. Whenever Camilla talked to me, her face never changed expression. Even when her voice lilted with the pleasure of seeing me, or she gave me (what I'm sure was intended to be) a breathily sexy farewell, she had the same blank expression. According to finely-tuned human instinct, blank expression plus over-emphasized emotion means someone's faking it, just like lack of physical contact and communication means loveless marriage. This is how my parents acted, I kept thinking, after they got divorced. For a long time I thought I was projecting the dreary narrative onto Helsher and Camilla because of my family background, but no: The game itself fed me these cues, however unintentionally.

The real tragedy is that I actually liked Camilla as a character. Though she wasn't my first choice of wife, if I'm honest - I liked Ysolda's plucky goal to become a businesswoman, but her marriage quest glitched and never came up - there just seemed something that felt narratively right about Camilla. She was one of the first people in Skyrim that I interacted with at any length, and there was something that felt genuinely human about her romantic problems and her relationship to her brother. She'd always treated my character well, and her voice actor managed to instill her with a sense of gracefulness and even a touch of awe whenever she spoke to me. Going back to the Riverwood Trader seemed like something my character would do, to go find the girl who liked him before everyone knew him as the Dragonborn. Sure, the veneer of her being a three-dimensional character was thin, but it was at least there.

By marrying her I destroyed all that. Instead of a character, she became a cross between an ATM and a vending machine. Marriage proved the end of her story, rather than a beginning. She never grew or changed further as a character, and her dialogue whittled down to six or seven maddeningly repetitive phrases. Her cyclical blandness, while catering to my every need, made me feel like I'd moved from Whiterun to Stepford. No matter what I did to elicit even a basic reaction from her - bumping into her, standing in the fire, dropping dragon bones on the floor, casually lounging around the house as a werewolf - she just kept stirring the pot, giving me a glassy stare and saying: "Hello my love! Back from some adventure, I bet!" This, I'm sure, is why Skyrim forums and YouTube videos are full of players that admit to murdering their spouses. Despite both interspecies and gay marriage being legal in Skyrim, divorce is apparently a taboo, leaving homicide as the only option if you (understandably) can't stand to hear that "welcome home" stock phrase one more time. Frankly, after hearing "Goodbye, my love," at least a hundred times, this juror wouldn't vote to convict.

I never murdered Camilla - not my style really - but I did start to avoid her a little. I'd wait until the gold from the shop accumulated before picking it up so I didn't have to hear her dialogue too many times, and I stopped asking for home-cooked meals. Moving to another house crossed my mind, but I was big into smithing and Breezehome was conveniently situated next to Warmaiden's. Also, as a character who didn't use much magic, I was perpetually poor from blowing wads of cash on health potions and didn't want to drop the Septims for another crash pad.

One day though, I finally found a way to be a good husband - or at least not a bad one. When I came through the door I saw Camilla sitting in a chair with her hands in her lap, chin up and impassively gazing at the wall.

Creeping around the other side of the fire so as not to disturb her, I took the chair next to her and stared too. If this is what she was going to do, we could at least do it together.

Both of us sat by the fire, looking intently at nothing, our faces as blank as the wall that stared back at us.

It was a special moment.

Maybe we should adopt a kid.

Robert Rath is a freelance writer, novelist, and researcher based in Austin, Texas. You can follow his exploits at RobWritesPulp.com or on Twitter at @RobWritesPulp.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...calintel/10056-Desperate-Housewives-of-Skyrim

Comments Thread:

This is why I prefer Bioware games.

And

applause-gif-tumblr-47.gif

My god, the emotion and depth you went into ... it was, beautiful.
OT: Yeah this by far, is the biggest flaw for me in Skyrim. The fact you could finally get married to a character and not be alone- only for it to be a dull, robotic love that never developed between characters (yours and the NPC that you've married) ... it killed the purpose for me.

I'm a romantic, so hearing the news made my heart leap. I wondered about how advanced the system was to marry, and when first playing Skyrim it instantly became my favorite game of all time. Well, not as much as Dead Space is for me but of all time regardless. The marriage thing however, once I did get married and realized how little to nothing there was to do with your spouse .............. it made me depressed. I know it's a virtual game, but for Skyrim to be lacking so much on an aspect dealing with marriage (which is a complex thing filled with many emotional stages to behold), they failed hard accomplishing what could of made marriage very likable especially because you could marry almost anyone.

I married Aela the Huntress, and honestly she became .. a dud. Nothing about her sparked any interests, unlike the previous adventures I shared with her that made me grow to adore her- it all died out when she sat around saying things over and over that didn't seem like she meant the word's true meanings. Eventually I decided to have her go hunt with me, and that's all she is now ... a partner. Not really a wife but an NPC to accompany me so I don't feel to lonely in the huge world that has so much promise and addictive fun to explore. At least Bioware has Mass Effect and I have Tali to seek out. Of course, in real life I have a perfect girlfriend so thank GOD she's nothing like Skyrim wives. Life would be so meaningless if not dead inside of hollow-shelled wives and husbands. Luckily we're more complex then that, so get to better mechanics for marriages Bethesda!

And

Yup. I married one of the twin companion brothers - the longer haired one - no don't say his name. He became a shell of his former self. I'd ruined him. I thought if I lived in Whiterun he'd spend time with them while I was gone and all would be well and... no. It wasn't. He opened some shop - which I couldn't believe mad a profit because the poor kid is like a box of rocks and... it was just awful. I decided then and there, with that first character: never again. All my following characters have remained steadfastly single - though I imagine an occasional toss in a tent comes up now and then with traveling companions.

And

Bethesda: Extra dialogue and story roles DLC for Skyrim. NAU.

Seriously, I could plan that out. Honestly, it's easy:
Go through and add about nineteen or so extra lines for each marriable character (It's not that much).
For fighting spouses, have them come forward with a mission connected to their backstory or character arc that the player can help them with at some point in the game.

For non-fighting spouses, have them, I don't know, get kidnapped and need rescuing or something. Yeah, that could work. In fact, it would really add to the whole classic fantasy-epic feel of TES games: what's more "Authentic fantasy" then killing a dragon? Rescuing a damsel in distress.

BOOM. That's about five months of work by my best guess, and PEOPLE WOULD BUY IT.

And

Ahh yes, my marriage is also not a happy one in Skyrim. Vilkas and I... we were in love once. When I first joined him and The Companions, he wasn't sure I could make it which made me all the more determined. We went everywhere together when I eventually got on his good side. We travelled all across Skyrim together, through ruins, through towns, to Dragon lairs and bandit lairs. He would always rush to defend me. We were so in love. Then one day I wore that Amulet of Mara and instantly he told me he would love to marry me and so we got married. It was such a happy union, I wore my nicest dress to the wedding and he looked so handsome, so happy. We lived happily in Whiterun for a while, but then we agreed to move to Solitude.

That's when things went downhill. I suppose I'm partly to blame for leaving so often, but he couldn't travel with me anymore, he wanted to set up a shop. I missed him greatly on all my adventures and would look forward to coming home to him. He'd greet me with a smile and give me my share of the money from the shop. Then after a while it got awkward. I saw no evidence of a shop. Not once. But he kept giving me more and more money, I was becoming the wealthiest woman in Skyrim. He was never there in the entrance hall anymore when I got home, in fact I always come home and find him in the basement. Not actually doing anything, just standing in a corner with his back to me. I just don't understand. I think he is doing something dodgy to get the money he gives me, I think he has started gambling with unfavourable people. I don't know what to do anymore, he isn't the Vilkas I knew and fell in love with! Yet I can't find it in me to leave him, I know this is my fault for leaving him all the time. But he knew it would be like this, but that doesn't make it easier to handle.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
http://kotaku.com/5964584/how-diablo-iii-told-me-my-marriage-was-over?popular=true

How Diablo III Told Me My Marriage Was Over

So, here we are, fighting our way through the very beginning of Act I and we separate and all of a sudden I manage to aggro everything in a pretty large radius and I don't know how that happened and they're attacking and oh my god sweetie I don't wanna die hey can you help me they're killing me um seriously can you help because I can't get range and I'm mostly good for range attacks and... dead.

He let me die. In a room where we would often simultaneously play our respective MMOs with chairs sitting literally next to one another and desks that were touching, he let me die.

With me verbally asking for help, he still let me die.

Yes, it's just a game. Yes, I could come right back to life and keep going (and I did). But I still cried that night before I went to bed because he. Let. Me. Die.

I guess it's too much to expect "‘til death do you part" to extend to the virtual world, to avatars that aren't even programmed to express the sentiments behind such vows.Yes, he was wearing headphones, but he heard me. I confirmed as much later, when we were done for the night. Oh, "it's just how you play," he said. Oh, so it was normal to ignore your partner. It's just "normal" to not even deviate from your loot-grabbing activities to save your wife from monsters. I gotcha. (Except everyone I've ever told this story to who has any Diablo experience is always as shocked as I was.)

While Ariadne came back again, prepared to handle the onslaught alone, part of me didn't. We were over.

It's clear, as evidenced by the fact that these people can reproduce, that evolution has stopped. But can it go the other way? Can humanity actually devolve as people with undesirable mutations begin adding their stuff to the gene pool? God help us all.

There is a spark in my life, thankfully. If there wasn't, I probably wouldn't have made it to today, to be honest. I have a boyfriend now (and I've had him for over a year now, so you do that math—I'm a cheating cheater (my husband had been, too), and while that isn't the only thing that made us fall to pieces, it certainly is among the reasons).

I have been cheating on my husband and he was cheating on me, but he let me die in Diablo 3 and that's what ruined our marriage.

:flamesaw:

Story of someone who doesn't want to take responsibility for their actions and deal with the realities of their broken relationship, pinning the blame on something completely irrelevant. She's either living in complete denial or wants to spite her ex so bad, that she would lay the blame for their marriage breakdown at something so small that he did and makes her look like a victim.

Funnily enough, it's remarkably similar to how Kotaku as a whole reacted to the Doritos thing.

Repressed Homosexual
http://kotaku.com/5964584/how-diablo-iii-told-me-my-marriage-was-over?popular=true

How Diablo III Told Me My Marriage Was Over

So, here we are, fighting our way through the very beginning of Act I and we separate and all of a sudden I manage to aggro everything in a pretty large radius and I don't know how that happened and they're attacking and oh my god sweetie I don't wanna die hey can you help me they're killing me um seriously can you help because I can't get range and I'm mostly good for range attacks and... dead.

He let me die. In a room where we would often simultaneously play our respective MMOs with chairs sitting literally next to one another and desks that were touching, he let me die.

With me verbally asking for help, he still let me die.

Yes, it's just a game. Yes, I could come right back to life and keep going (and I did). But I still cried that night before I went to bed because he. Let. Me. Die.

I guess it's too much to expect "‘til death do you part" to extend to the virtual world, to avatars that aren't even programmed to express the sentiments behind such vows.Yes, he was wearing headphones, but he heard me. I confirmed as much later, when we were done for the night. Oh, "it's just how you play," he said. Oh, so it was normal to ignore your partner. It's just "normal" to not even deviate from your loot-grabbing activities to save your wife from monsters. I gotcha. (Except everyone I've ever told this story to who has any Diablo experience is always as shocked as I was.)

While Ariadne came back again, prepared to handle the onslaught alone, part of me didn't. We were over.

It's clear, as evidenced by the fact that these people can reproduce, that evolution has stopped. But can it go the other way? Can humanity actually devolve as people with undesirable mutations begin adding their stuff to the gene pool? God help us all.

Actually I remember someone at my PnP group in Trois-Rivieres who met his wife while he was DMing when he was younger, and they kept playing in his group. At some point he stopped including her in the group, because she would take it very personally whenever something happened to her, like she would ask him why he as a GM let her die.

Women do seem to take things like these very seriously, but yeah this one is over the top. Mine only played one MMO, TERA, but I refused to start playing with her, because I didn't want her to start drama, even though she isn't prone to doing it. Her interest in games subsided soon after (except for those of the match 3 and hidden objects variety).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
8448c9dabab057776da9853c21af6524.jpeg

Does this look like a spiteful person to you?
/fatshaming

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yes. Underneath all that make-up lurks an evil psychopathic bitch.

Luzur

Good Sir
only thing i find weird about the whole marry part of Skyrim is why the Dragonborn cant stuff "The Dragon Slayer" into his wife like any normal man, but has to adopt a child.

too hard to code a black screen and some cuddle noise ala Fable/Gothic, Bethesda?

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
only thing i find weird about the whole marry part of Skyrim is why the Dragonborn cant stuff "The Dragon Slayer" into his wife like any normal man, but has to adopt a child.

too hard to code a black screen and some cuddle noise ala Fable/Gothic, Bethesda?

Because that would leave the possibility of creating Argonian and Elf children open, which would mean that Bethesda would have to make new models, which would be too much work.

Bethesda needs to check their Imperial Male privilege.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
"I married someone based on our mutual enjoyment of interactive commercial entertainment products because we are obnoxious broken people with no actual personalities. This, to my surprise, ended badly. So I've done it again."

Angthoron

Arcane
"I married someone based on our mutual enjoyment of interactive commercial entertainment products because we are obnoxious broken people with no actual personalities. This, to my surprise, ended badly. So I've done it again."
"My new love? I met him playing the new Call of Duty. He was a sweet, gentle man right from the start. But he was dangerous, oh, so dangerous - the way we really met first, you see - he killed me, stabbed me with a knife. I was sure I felt this moment as his jagged edge penetrated my vulnerable flesh... But then, oh, then he got on his knees, looking lost, and got up, as if afraid that others may laugh at his display of feelings. And then he knelt again, hesitantly, and got up. It was almost like a little ritual, and it was so sweet, I asked him, "What are you doing?!" and he replied, shocked, "You're a girl? I'm, um... I'm keeping your body warm for your next respawn! So nobody takes your things!" And we hit it off then."

tumblr_m4k3e9wy9F1rwe2ero1_500.jpg

What: Dragonborn Review Live Stream
When: Tuesday, December 4, 10AM-Noon (6PM GMT)
Where: Right here on this page, on your Xbox with IGN's Xbox Live app, on YouTube, on your phone or tablet... EVERYWHERE.

See you Tuesday! ╯°O°)╯FUS RO DAH! ==== ┻━┻

EVERYWHERE

BITCH PLEASE

Gerrard

Arcane
This is for potato people only (well, not really, I guess you can still "appreciate" it even if you didn't see the old one).
Go to gram.pl and look at the new design.
:what:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
This is for potato people only (well, not really, I guess you can still "appreciate" it even if you didn't see the old one).
Go to gram.pl and look at the new design.

Jesus Fucking Christmas :what:

At least the store, the only part of that site that matters, still has the same layout.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
What is (MMO)RPG?

Princess Fatora, on 03 December 2012 - 07:45 PM, said:
But then what is the definition of a moon? A moon is a round object with holes (not a planet, since we are on a planet and therefore the moon isn't one and can therefore not be a rock), so it being round with holes pretty much implies that it's cheese.

LOGIC CHECKMATE!

No, actually a RPG is not about building a character, but playing one. You citing the real definition and then pretending that can't be is a funny trick, but it doesn't work.

michael-jackson-eating-popcorn.gif

The problem is that MMORPGs do not give this option anymore. Early MMOs were often NOT about stats, but instead about actions. In some, crafter was as possible a job as fighter. In some, the reason you played wasn't OMGBESTESTSTATSOMGOMGOMGMASTURBATESTATS, it was affecting the world in tangible ways through war.

:patriot:

A true RPG would allow you to play anyone. You would have a chance to become the king. Or queen, if your alliance was strong enough.

Oh shit.

The guy from Flyable Vertibird now modded drivable cars into New Vegas.

Color me impressed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom