Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

racofer

Thread Incliner
Some nice picture reminding me of a great retardo stickie.

L30Kh.jpg

Now I need a hot shower after gazing into the abyss. Die CIS Scum.

If there's one good thing about Bethesda's modders squad, that is that they are the completely opposite of that guy in the picture.

21038-3-1343145992.jpg

21038-4-1351354231.png

21038-1-1351046132.png

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
There is quite the "faction wars" between the feminist. One side is the conservative burqa feminists with condone girl tits and the other is the slut empowered feminists who like the sluts girls in games. But apparently, just because the tits heavy girls in games is targeted towards men in principle, the feminists and angry manginas get mad abput it...

Also what can we do to bring our beloved turbo feminist Sol Invictus back?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Rex will NEVER come back here (or the #fallout chat, gawd he was the QUEEN of Drama™ there). :lol: gawd I miss that.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Weirdly enough, internet drama is starting to bore me. I'm considering getting a cabin in the woods and shooting anyone who dares tresspass upon my property.

Angthoron

Arcane
Hm. Then let me rephrase that to "bored privileged minorities".
Just followers of the wondrous cult of cargo, good sir. Wannabe first-worlders, if you will. People that never stop to reflect on the why of it all.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/12/07/how-morrowind-and-kotor-defined-modern-rpgs/

Towlee
GordonSullivan
I think you mean Obsidian. Obsidian has MUCH better writers and always has. Kotor 2 while a flawed game for some takes every cliche and trope of Star Wars and managed to be the most unique game. Obsidian time and time again has made some of the most amazing games because of their writing.

GordonSullivan
Towlee No, I mean Bioware. Obsidian couldn't write a game if their lives depended on it. KOTOR2 is proof of that.

In the mean time, we have awesome stories such as ME3, SWTOR, ME1 and 2, and Dragon Age coming out of Bioware.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
You see this funny word: Nostalgia.

I didn't even use the word nostalgia. You did. But you know what is so funny about it?

You are applying it in the case of a 2002 game. That's not an old game. That's not a long time ago. That's virtually yesterday. Are you also nostalgic about the Lord of the Rings movies?

Morrowind isn't a game of yesteryear. It is a game of today. Saying it's an old game is really talking like a 12 year old, for whom 2 years ago was ancient history. Funnily enough, all the criticisms we apply to modern games - extremely low difficulty even at the highest setting, extremely linear dungeons, combat that involves doing two or three different things at most, and cookie cutter quests - they all apply to Morrowind.

So I wouldn't say you are wearing nostalgia glasses, but I would say you are being willfully blind.

Regardless, ten years is a pretty long fucking time. A lot can change in a decade. Are we now not allowed to say that games from ten years ago were better than the games of today simply because you're so old that ten years feels like ten days to you? Sorry, but games from ten years back were a lot better than the shit being shat out today. To take your example of Morrowind, even as derpy as it was, it was still a lot better than Skyrim, which is a game that is a few steps away from being an interactive movie.

LivingOne

Savant
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/07/bioshock-infinite-ending-is-absolutely-different-to-anything-youve-seen-in-a-videogame/
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/07/b...ferent-to-anything-youve-seen-in-a-videogame/
It will also be the most ambitious thing Irrational has ever done, according to Ken Levine, BioShock Infinite’s creative director.
We sent two intrepid reporters to get the lowdown on Irrational’s follow-up to BioShock, this time set aboard Columbia, a floating city inspired by ideas of American exceptionalism circa 1900. Both Tom F and Evan got to sit down and play the game for several hours, and then caught up with Levine for a lengthy chat afterwards – more of which you will be able to read in the January edition of the magazine. But we couldn’t resist teasing you with Levine’s comments to Tom about how the team reacted to criticism of BioShock’s ending – specifically, how that game failed to evolve following its twist.
Tom F: The most common complaint I hear about Bioshock is that after the Andrew Ryan moment it wasn’t as interesting. Do you agree with that?
Ken Levine: Yeah.
What did you learn from it?
KL: I would say that the ending of the game is the most ambitious thing we’ve ever done in our careers as a company. It is either going to be something incredibly wonderful or people are going to burn down our office. We are very aware of that, we want to make sure this experience was the reason you say the end was very meaningful. So I can’t tell whether people will like it or not, I can tell you it is absolutely different to anything you’ve seen in a videogame.
That’s quite a promise, no?

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/170959...be_people_dont_want_originality_molyneux.html

Godus Kickstarter: 'Maybe People Don't Want Originality' - Molyneux

David Lynch

Godus is 22 Cans and Peter Molyneux's chance to reinvent the god-game genre, but there's a chance Kickstarter might not deliver.

Published on Dec 5, 2012
Godus is 22 Cans and Peter Molyneux’s first experience with Kickstarter and the long-standing British developer is more than aware that if Godus is to succeed it needs to secure funding.

For Molyneux, Kickstarter is the answer because it removes the need for publishers and encourages developers to take risks and innovate.
But, even games such as Godus, coming from high-profile developers like Molyneux, need funding and it can’t be done out of their own pockets.
“We have to have money from somewhere,” explained Molyneux. “If we don't, then we're going to have to go to a publisher or we're going to have to get some outside investment, because we just can't fund out of our own pocket.”
"Maybe people don't want originality, maybe people don't want games from indie developers, they want, you know, tried and tested experiences. I'd rather suffer the slings and arrows of testing that than sitting back and going to some existing publisher relationship.”
“It's an expensive thing to run a studio of 20 people. A lot of people think that my Kickstarter's safe because of who I am, but it's not. It's not safe. I define myself as being an indie, I define myself as taking those risks and Kickstarter is a huge risk for us, maybe we won’t get funded."

For Molyneux, being able to innovate and experiment is key to exploring the boundaries of genres like the god-game and Kickstarter is the perfect competition to the current publisher setup.

“For me Kickstarter is about innovation that is hard to get through the existing structure of the industry. It was almost impossible for me to sign the original Populous up because there was no Kickstarter, we had to go around 12 publishers and most of them said no.”

“You might think that with Godus you could just sign it in a dot, but most publishers said 'Could you possibly consider a role-playing game?'. They see the god-game genre as a genre that doesn’t have as many followers as an RPG. They've got their pie chart, look at it and say “if you did an RPG you'd do better.”
You can support Molyneux, 22 Cans and Godus via its Kickstarter. Or read the full interview about Project Godus.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/07/b...ferent-to-anything-youve-seen-in-a-videogame/

Angthoron

Arcane
Or maybe people don't want to fund a company that doesn't need crowdsource funding, who knows.

Also, I reiterate, fuck Ken Levine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom