Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Modron

Arcane
All those great games and chooses to play counter strike :negative:.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Google "classic games" to stick in your totally retro shitty photoshop.

Here's a proper one, instead, and most likely the inspiration for that crap:

16_bit_memories_by_intercepto-d2znzre.jpg

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
counter strike
He decided to be an alpha gamer and he decided to play pure incline. Nothing wrong with that.
That picture is shit though, I agree with Rads there. Can't spot neither Jools nor Jops on that picture, however.
Cannon Fodder was a really good game although it got a massive difficulty spike at Mission 10, Phase 5. I quit at that very point in the game, because it was so bullshit. You spawn right in front of a cannon and whether or not it will wipe out your entire team the next frame after loading is dependant on RNG. Vid with timestamp of mission.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

I'm more bothered by the randomness of the collection.

The majority of titles and posters point towards someone who's born in the mid-to-late 1980s, yet there are titles there that date to that exact era (Maniac Mansion, Zak MacKraken) and even earlier (the C-64 on the right).

At best it's like a kid who inherited his big brother's old games once he left for college.

Most likely it's just the artist pulling together Random Retro Cool Things to have in an image.

T. Reich

Arcane

The majority of titles and posters point towards someone who's born in the mid-to-late 1980s, yet there are titles there that date to that exact era (Maniac Mansion, Zak MacKraken) and even earlier (the C-64 on the right).

At best it's like a kid who inherited his big brother's old games once he left for college.

Most likely it's just the artist pulling together Random Retro Cool Things to have in an image.

Dunno, man, this well could be me in early-mid-2000's (2001-2005 approx).

Around that time I would mostly play the late-90s - early 2000s games because my PC wasn't really that good and I couldn't afford better.
In fact, I owned and played almost all of the games shown on posters or game boxes near the PC (sans Everquest).
And I also liked to play the older games from the late 80s to mid-90s. I even owned a few boxed versions (actually, where I lived at the time you could get them for like 5 Euros per title). I'd still play the cracked versions on my hard drive, but having the boxed versions was just too cool.
I didn't own the C-64, though.

What really grates me on the pic is the Win 95 poster. Really?

Oh, and on CS - that's definitely a lie.
People simply wouldn't have the (affordable) bandwidth to play CS online reliably back then.
So the "lan party" sticker is actually a realistic thing in this regard.

P.S.: Also the "PC master race" on the back of the chair also WAY off. The meme didn't come into play until the late 2000s-early 2010s.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

As a kid born in 1988, my dad played old adventure games with me when I was 3, which included Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, etc. Then when I got older and started playing games on my own in the late 90s and early 00s, the games in that picture were among those I played.

So yeah it actually captures a kid born in the late 80s well enough by including some games from the 80s as "I played that when I was little" nostalgia stuff.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
I also had a very similar setup, even had the C64, and I played CS online back when it was still in beta. Affordable internet was around in Denmark in the late 90s at least, though I do remember that it had some restrictions. Think it was 28k or 56k, and could only be online for an hour per day without racking up extra fees, but it was enough to download and play several HL mods.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Sounds like a mad cause bad issue there, tbh. CS is no more shallow than Quake or UT. It's still built on the same four pillars: Map knowledge, map control, aim, pick ups (supplemented by economy in CS)
The people playing it being shit is just a bonus.
Is your only CS experience CS:GO? Pubbies could stomp you easily in 1.6 or CSS.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I don't mean it as in skill level, I mean as being insufferable human beings.
Yeah, still a CS:GO thing rather than a 1.6 thing. 1.6 is only really played casually today meaning the gayness of CS:GO isn't really present there and it's highly dependant on what server you are playing on.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I SAW SOMETHING I RECOGNIZED
I CLAPPED WHEN I SAW IT

Also, I like how even in this image of 90s-early 00s shit the "artist" places his Instagram account front and center. These people can never not attention whore.

Here's a proper one, instead, and most likely the inspiration for that crap:

16_bit_memories_by_intercepto-d2znzre.jpg
This one is indeed much better, it looks like an actual scene instead of just cynically shoving as much shit Boomers will remember into the picture as possible and not having anything else.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
The perspective hurts my eyes, but I cant quite place where

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom