Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best videogame cover art/boxart

Zlaja

Arcane
40375.jpg

ax-battler-a-legend-of-golden-axe-40191.jpg

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
super-metroid-us-snes-1567735440766.jpg

True story: As a kid in the 90s in toys r us i bought this game purely on the box cover despite not knowing anything about it. It turned out to be a pretty damn good blind purchase fortunately.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Technically not box art, but a poster made of the original cover. For some reason, this art stirs up strong emotions in me, especially if I listen to the title music while watching it. Maybe because it reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus.

orQGwSB.png

Ezekiel

Arcane
It's bizarre that no one has attempted a Frazetta-style action adventure with current tech, since it's such a good example of the escapism that video games are supposed to generally be about. Even fifteen years ago when most of the bigger studios weren't so woke that an idea like that would be considered so repulsive, none of them tried.

AndyS

Augur
It's bizarre that no one has attempted a Frazetta-style action adventure with current tech, since it's such a good example of the escapism that video games are supposed to generally be about. Even fifteen years ago when most of the bigger studios weren't so woke that an idea like that would be considered so repulsive, none of them tried.
It just hasn't been a mainstream-friendly type of fantasy for several decades, unfortunately. Even in prose fiction today, it's a niche within a niche type of thing compared to how it was from the 60s to early 80s when it dominated paperback sales. You have to rely on especially uncommon indie game developers to do that stuff now, like the guy who made Age of Barbarian.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom