Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best videogame cover art/boxart

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
26016-custer3.jpg

deem

Savant
Looking at my Steam and GOG library, I just noticed how bad most of the game cover art is. Most of it is the protagonist striking a "cool" pose. Wasteland is the only one that I like. A stand-off on the streets of a post-apocalyptic city. One man facing a gang of five. Top-down angle, shadows stretched on the asphalt. It communicates all it needs to in a stylish way without coming across as infantile, immediately pops up among other covers.

schru

Arcane
Looking at my Steam and GOG library, I just noticed how bad most of the game cover art is. Most of it is the protagonist striking a "cool" pose. Wasteland is the only one that I like. A stand-off on the streets of a post-apocalyptic city. One man facing a gang of five. Top-down angle, shadows stretched on the asphalt. It communicates all it needs to in a stylish way without coming across as infantile, immediately pops up among other covers.
I think that's an enemy robot and the gang are the protagonist's party.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Rated E and 3+ for everyone?

@Topic:
518051-curse-of-the-azure-bonds-pc-98-front-cover.jpg

My own copy:
Curse.jpg

On Wasteland... (...wait for it...)
RC-tricky.gif

Last edited:
Classic cover of 5 knights riding out to set things right.

Indie games rarely get physical box releases, but I quite liked this main art for The Banner Saga.

Overrated game, but I liked the solitary blade in the field, like a grave, and ofcourse the titan in the background gives a sense of awe.

FFXI Chains of Promathia Japanese box art, by Yoshitaka Amano. The American version cropped the picture, washed out the colors, and blocked Selh'teus' hands for some reason.

FFXI Treasures of Aht Urghan box art, by Yoshitaka Amano. A little noisy at first glance but the city in fog draws you in, and I like the details around the edges. The American box art turned everything grey for some reason.

FFXIV Stormblood Japanese box art, by Yoshitaka Amano. Our maiden in red looks upon the mountain kingdom of Ala Mhigo. It's criminal that the American box art depicts a CGI render of a Darth Vader clone.

The American cover was a CGI render of some dude. At this point, it's pretty clear that Square Enix's american marketing department has no aesthetic sensibilities.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Jason Liang

Arcane
This thread is ironic. It's for weird, funny, cheesey box arts.

No, people in that thread unironically love those covers (incl. me).

Also, technically 30-40% of them are repeated here, so not sure what you're on about...
Those that actually posted box art that they consider good didn't get the ironic premise of the thread.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
This thread is ironic. It's for weird, funny, cheesey box arts.

No, people in that thread unironically love those covers (incl. me).

Also, technically 30-40% of them are repeated here, so not sure what you're on about...
Those that actually posted box art that they consider good didn't get the ironic premise of the thread.

I got that, I just find it pointless to post ugly box art

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom