Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best way to play Devil May Cry 1-3 on PC ?

Sjukob

Arcane
I have finished mission 13 and beat Vergil second time.

Fighting him for the first time in mission 7 was like having an orgasm. I think that fight is almost perfect, it's basically Nelo Angelo done right, it's too easy but still great, after I was done with it I replayed it about 5 times before moving on. My only complaint is that Vergil can't be juggled and his vulnerability window is tied to the ammount of hits instead of damage, I really have no idea why they've done this, in DMC5 they got it right, was it so hard to figure out the first time ? Anyway, after I've got to him in mission 13 I've noticed some small things that make that fight worse:
  • whenever I'm in the air I can't see shit because of camera and if you fight close to the walls they might cover the view
  • arena has elevation, which can mess up your combos, that's why I used stinger instead of point blank on 0:22, because the shots would've gone above Vergil's hitbox
  • certain beowulf attacks can not be interrupted, in the first battle Vergil would flinch every time you hit him
  • random DT activation. Sometimes I keep very close to Vergil to quickly counter attack, I dodge the first hit and attack right away, Vergil uses DT which makes him immune to stagger and continues his combo in my face. Doesn't happen often, but it still sucks to get fucked over like this.
Still a very fun fight, but the first battle didn't have any of these issues, I hope they didn't mess up the third one.

Sjukob

Arcane
I'm finaly done with DMC3 and I must say that I didn't really like it. I've finished normal difficulty, went for hard, completed half of the game and realized that I don't want to play anymore. The biggest problem with this game is that it's good parts are sandwiched in between some mediocre stuff and outright terrible design. At times I felt like developers were either trying to purposefully ruin their game or just didn't know what they were doing. I wanted to write a long post about my experience, but I lost my motivation, I'm going to assume that those who read this are familiar with the game, so let's do it quickly.

1. A lot of enemies and bosses are just terrible. Seven hells (except greed), abysses and vanguards are fine, but everything besides them is just gimmicky shit or launch/stagger immune, and this is in the game where you are supposed to go crazy with a freestyle combat. Fallen are particularly insufferable, whenever I fight them I just lose my will to play the game. As for bosses, there are only 4 good ones: Vergil, A&R, Beowulf, Cerberus (though it feels like he wasn't designed for new players, who only have rebellion, E&R and shotgun), everything else is gimmicky crap with dumb damage window mechanic (I seriously dislike Nevan for this), Geryon on DMD has such a small damage window that it's completely retarded unless you loop him with real impact, Arkham is so fucking bad that I don't even know how he was approved by leading developers. Everything mentioned is also made worse by health bloat and enemy DT on higher difficulties, yes I haven't got to DMD, but that's something you can see from afar;
  2. Apparently developers had issues with PS2 limits, I heard that it's why there's no style switching in the original, they had no idea how to solve RAM issues or something, I don't know if that's true. Anyway additionaly to free style switching, game should've had doppelganger and quicksilver as some sort of powers that you can activate any time you want, like you do with DT. I believe it's also the reason for complete absence of any humans (besides Lady) and world's reaction to demon invasion or may be it was just about budget;
  3. DT is just a boring stat boost, you don't get any special moves when you activate it (DTE doesn't count) with only exception of air raid;
  4. Level design is pretty lackluster, way too much backtracking + a mix of platforming, traps and gimmicky stuff.

I believe that's about every major problem I had with DMC3. As for it's strengths:
  1. Good combat system, if only it was supported by good enemy design;
  2. Some bosses are really fun to fight;
  3. Really good story for an action game;
  4. I felt like soundtrack was overall weaker than DMC1, but still there are enough of good tracks in the game.
In conclusion I like DMC1 a lot more, I would even say that it's a better game with better design, DMC3 is just very inconsistent when it comes to quality. Not a terrible game, but to me it seems like it's very overrated. One of the best action games of all time ? Not with such glaring flaws.

Last edited:

Sjukob

Arcane
No. It has the best combat system ever created. It isn't rated enough.
Have some of these, dude. The combat is good in a way that it's feels good to control Dante, not fighting stuff on the picture below.

1552838086513.png

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
A lot of enemies and bosses are just terrible. Seven hells (except greed), abysses and vanguards are fine, but everything besides them is just gimmicky shit or launch/stagger immune, and this is in the game where you are supposed to go crazy with a freestyle combat. Fallen are particularly insufferable, whenever I fight them I just lose my will to play the game.

Launcher immune and stagger immune enemies are created as such so that they give you something to think about when mixed with other weaker guys. It's about juggling multiple types of combat types at the same time. Also, every enemy is designed to beatable with every style and I don't think you are well versed enough on the combat system to critique them yet. I do admit fallen are annoying but trickster fixes even that.

You got to be kidding. The throwing energy guys are a joke, they are just there to fill in gaps of normal enemies. The spiders & the lion medallion things are nice to fight and doesn't even show up most of the time, the lion medallion things are extremely predictable. The invisible going guys are certainly not difficult to kill. And I am pretty sure on Devil Hunter these guys barely even put up a fight...

As for bosses, there are only 4 good ones: Vergil, A&R, Beowulf, Cerberus

I heavily disagree. You are looking at this the wrong way, not every boss can be a challenge of all skills. The worst bosses I agree on are Arkham, Horse chariot, the insides of the whale & the giant worm. Every-other fight has a myriad ways of playing and they *are* fun. Maybe not shadow Dante though. I really don't think 5 being bad out of 13 is so bad considering how good some of the good ones are.

DT is just a boring stat boost, you don't get any special moves when you activate it (DTE doesn't count) with only exception of air raid;
Agreed on this. But it is designed as a crutch to rely on sticky situations, and the base combat is varied enough that I really don't care. And DT does buff up a few attack to extra such as the stinger etc..

Level design is pretty lackluster, way too much backtracking + a mix of platforming, traps and gimmicky stuff.
I would say the camera angle is what makes it shit, I don't think there is too much backtracking as familiarizing arenas to fight make me more confident, and it has nice cramped areas to actually fight unlike dmc5 and considering there is none of this in DMC5 I actually miss it. Not the backtracking though. You are not going to like DMC4 when you get to it if you find this backtracking annoying.

One of the best action games of all time ?
The flaws are glaring only to you, I hate to say it but getting better and understanding the enemies along with the depth of the combat system should fix it. I have never played a game that has as much depth as DMC3 along with truly good enemies & bosses. So suffice to say I heavily disagree, it is one of, if not the best action game ever made. Nothing else remotely even comes to the same class.

If you think there is another, please go-ahead and name one game that is better because I truly wish to know what you think is better.

Sjukob

Arcane
You got to be kidding. The throwing energy guys are a joke, they are just there to fill in gaps of normal enemies. The spiders & the lion medallion things are nice to fight and doesn't even show up most of the time, the lion medallion things are extremely predictable. The invisible going guys are certainly not difficult to kill. And I am pretty sure on Devil Hunter these guys barely even put up a fight...
You are missing the point. It's not about difficulty, they are not fun to fight. Enigmas don't stop their attacks while being hit and staggered, they also can back dash away infinitely with no pauses in between. Soul eaters can not be hit at all unless you turn your back on them and once you face them they disappear in a second. Fallen can not be staggered, fly all the time, can go through walls and try to keep their distance. Dullahans can only be hit in the back and if you try to jump over them they will clip you with their anti air attack, so you have to walk around them to attack. I don't really hate spiders, although they are the worst example of health bloat in the game.

This kind of design would be annoying and dumb in any action game, not just DMC3. Also what about bloody palace ? I'm not even feeling like attempting it, because of these enemies.

Launcher immune and stagger immune enemies are created as such so that they give you something to think about when mixed with other weaker guys. It's about juggling multiple types of combat types at the same time.
It's one of the most boring and cheap ways of creating difficulty, instead of making enemies a threat with clear weakness you just take away player's tools, making them unfun to fight in the process. Hell vanguards are engaing, because you can stagger and parry them, and their attacks are pretty dangerous, but enemies like chess pieces just go and attack you and you can't do anything about it.

I heavily disagree. You are looking at this the wrong way, not every boss can be a challenge of all skills. The worst bosses I agree on are Arkham, Horse chariot, the insides of the whale & the giant worm. Every-other fight has a myriad ways of playing and they *are* fun. Maybe not shadow Dante though. I really don't think 5 being bad out of 13 is so bad considering how good some of the good ones are.
I've already said why I dislike every boss besides Vergil, A&R, Beowulf and Cerberus, keep in mind that I don't really count hell vanguard as a boss. Do you understand what these 4 bosses have in common ? They are vulnerable all the time and it's up for you to find time to attack them, you are not required to do any dumb stuff to make them vulnerable (cerberus shield gets destroyed so quickly that it doesn't count), but every other boss is just about doing some gimmick, attacking during vulnerability window, dodging while boss is shielded/hiding/uncreachable or whatever and repeating the process. Vergil, A&R, Beowulf and Cerberus are good because they allow you to do what you want and be creative (it's kind of true for Nevan, but I really fucking hate shields), but everything else feels like platforming game type of boss, Arkham is an execption because he's all around terrible. Oh and I think that Jester is ok, it's just that I forgot about him.

The flaws are glaring only to you, I hate to say it but getting better and understanding the enemies along with the depth of the combat system should fix it. I have never played a game that has as much depth as DMC3 along with truly good enemies & bosses. So suffice to say I heavily disagree, it is one of, if not the best action game ever made. Nothing else remotely even comes to the same class.

If you think there is another, please go-ahead and name one game that is better because I truly wish to know what you think is better.
Now you just sound like a fanboy. I've already said that I'm not experienced with genre:
It's just that I'm basically playing games like these for the first time. For a very long period I've been playing various RPGs and turn based games, I'm not used for fast paced action that is demanding to your reactions and inputing skills. I've played some classic shooters and beat'em'ups, but it's not the same.
And don't even try to use "git gud" argument on me. I've never said that I was having difficulties, only that I don't find some things fun. And is it really true that no other game comes close to DMC3 in terms of depth ? What about God Hand, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden or even just other DMC entries ? I haven't yet played them myself, but your statement seems very extreme to me. DJOGamer PT or anybody else can you help me here ?

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
A lot of enemies and bosses are just terrible. Seven hells (except greed), abysses and vanguards are fine, but everything besides them is just gimmicky shit or launch/stagger immune, and this is in the game where you are supposed to go crazy with a freestyle combat. Fallen are particularly insufferable, whenever I fight them I just lose my will to play the game.
Launcher immune and stagger immune enemies are created as such so that they give you something to think about when mixed with other weaker guys. It's about juggling multiple types of combat types at the same time.
It's one of the most boring and cheap ways of creating difficulty, instead of making enemies a threat with clear weakness you just take away player's tools, making them unfun to fight in the process. Hell vanguards are engaing, because you can stagger and parry them, and their attacks are pretty dangerous, but enemies like chess pieces just go and attack you and you can't do anything about it.

While Dullahans, Soul Eaters and Fallen are fucking anoying enemies to figth (the chess pices while boring have that cool chess board figth), all enemies in dmc3 have posses a clear/consistent weakness - even those 3.
And the remaning enemies aren't as bad. Sure not everyone of them is as good as Vanguard and Abyss, but they aren't a pain to figth and like Dedicated_Dark they mix things up.

You are missing the point. It's not about difficulty, they are not fun to fight. Enigmas don't stop their attacks while being hit and staggered, they also can back dash away infinitely with no pauses in between. Soul eaters can not be hit at all unless you turn your back on them and once you face them they disappear in a second. Fallen can not be staggered, fly all the time, can go through walls and try to keep their distance. Dullahans can only be hit in the back and if you try to jump over them they will clip you with their anti air attack, so you have to walk around them to attack. I don't really hate spiders, although they are the worst example of health bloat in the game.

Enigmas are ranged enemies, which do things make interesting when paired with melee opponents. You can block Enigmas arrows with: Royal Guard (obvious); Cerberus (Revolver, Windmill, Flicker and Ice Age); Nevan (the summoned bats protect you). Then the sniper can stun them, with Artemis you don't have to chase them, the Rebellion sword throw attack and Drive are also pretty good; and if you get close enough you can kill them in one 1 hit with Beowulf (the drop is the best attack for this to close the distance quickly). Don't have problems with them.

The spiders high hp, and lack of any annoying gimick, make them a good punching bag enemy - so enemies whose purpose is for you to make an unrelenting crazy combo. But yeah, aside from that not really compelling enemies.

Fallen are also similiar. I would say what makes them anoying to figth is the fact they can only lose health when lose their wings and can fly into walls. Now like I said previously all enemies have a weaknes, the Fallen is to shatter their wings. Tricker to them and use A&R swordmaster attack (then use enemy sterp to keep doing this); alternatively you can use Cerbrus normal mid-air attacks or revolver; there's a moment when they use their lance, where their wings open; if you attack on the rigth time the wings will instantly shatter (good for this is the sword throw, shothgun and sniper); continous fire from E&I will also shatter as will Nevan Air Raid and Vortex. Vergil is also very good because of Yamato being Dark element and the Fallen being Ligth, a Judgement Cut suffices.

Yeah I am not going to argue with you about Soul Eater and Dullahans being boring shit.

But again just because 3/4 enimies are bad doesn't make the remaining 16 bad.

Level design is pretty lackluster, way too much backtracking + a mix of platforming, traps and gimmicky stuff.
I would say the camera angle is what makes it shit, I don't think there is too much backtracking as familiarizing arenas to fight make me more confident, and it has nice cramped areas to actually fight unlike dmc5 and considering there is none of this in DMC5 I actually miss it. Not the backtracking though. You are not going to like DMC4 when you get to it if you find this backtracking annoying.

Yeah 3 doesn't any problems with backtracking, it's well paced.
He is really gonna hate 4 for this.
Also I think you made me realise why I feel like 5 normal difficulty (Son of Sparda is pretty good in challenge) is easier than 3. Because enemies in 5 are better designed and more aggresive, but still I wondered why the levels didn't feel as though. And that comment of yours made me remenber that battle in mission 7, where you are locked in a small metro corridors with lizard enemies spawning, is pretty intense. And that's why, you have to make the best possible use of your skills in cramped areas.

In conclusion I like DMC1 a lot more, I would even say that it's a better game with better design, DMC3 is just very inconsistent when it comes to quality. Not a terrible game, but to me it seems like it's very overrated. One of the best action games of all time ? Not with such glaring flaws.

Now you just sound like a fanboy. I've already said that I'm not experienced with genre:
It's just that I'm basically playing games like these for the first time. For a very long period I've been playing various RPGs and turn based games, I'm not used for fast paced action that is demanding to your reactions and inputing skills. I've played some classic shooters and beat'em'ups, but it's not the same.
And don't even try to use "git gud" argument on me. I've never said that I was having difficulties, only that I don't find some things fun. And is it really true that no other game comes close to DMC3 in terms of depth ? What about God Hand, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden or even just other DMC entries ? I haven't yet played them myself, but your statement seems very extreme to me. DJOGamer PT or anybody else can you help me here ?

DMC1 is good, but not it's better than 3 - which is not overrated, and does deverse a space in any "best action games" list.
3 greatly improved on everything good from 1: combat vastly expanded upon; redesigned, and some new, gameplay mechanics; better arsenal; more enemy variety (you no longer see just one enemy type in each room); much more memorable, fun and challenging story mode; two distinct playstyles (Dante and Vergil); more extra content (unlockables + Bloody Palace); Turbo Mode.
And yes aside from DMC4 and 5, you can count the number of fast paced action games with equal, or higher, gameplay deph than DMC3 with your 2 hands.

IMHO, the only games of this type better than DMC3 are God Hand, Ninja Gaiden Black/Sigma and DMC5.
Dedicated_Dark will surely disagree me with on this, but while 4 has a much more refined combat - and I have a feeling you'll like 4 enemies and bosses much more - I ultimately I think 3 is the more worthwhile experience because it has a much better campaign and I prefer it's arsenal and enemies.

Last edited:

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
This kind of design would be annoying and dumb in any action game, not just DMC3. Also what about bloody palace ? I'm not even feeling like attempting it, because of these enemies.
Get the style switcher and play Bloody palace, if you are feeling pressured by particular enemies you can just switch styles to optimize. Bloody palace is wicked fun and that's where you get better.

I also suggest the turbo mode.

Now you just sound like a fanboy.
Because I am an immense fanboy for this game.

And don't even try to use "git gud" argument on me. I've never said that I was having difficulties, only that I don't find some things fun. And is it really true that no other game comes close to DMC3 in terms of depth ? What about God Hand, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden or even just other DMC entries ? I haven't yet played them myself, but your statement seems very extreme to me.
Hmm... I assumed the irritation came from the annoyance these enemies presented and not the dullness.. I never really found them dull.

DMC is extremely unique, most of this genre is filled up with dial-up combos. Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden and most of the other games are about overcoming challenge at their core. DMC is unique as it provides a toolset for creative expression and leave you to it, the only apt comparison is God Hand. I would say God Hand is comparable but not particularly better as it has it's own spin on things. DMC is unique and has incomparable depth.

IMHO, the only games of this type better than DMC3 are God Hand, Ninja Gaiden Black/Sigma and DMC5.
I would say God Hand is the only real competition. Ninja Gaiden serves another niche as it's about victory in perfection as opposed to style. I would kill for a Ninja Gaiden PC port, the RPCS3 one runs b/w 45-60 fps(meaning slow motion) due to my weak processor unfortunately..

Ah! yea. I been meaning to ask, what's your thoughts on Nioh? I haven't played it yet, but if it is remotely satisfying as an action game I am interested.

Dedicated_Dark will surely disagree me with on this, but while 4 has a much more refined combat - and I have a feeling you'll like 4 enemies and bosses much more
Actually I agree on this. DMC4 is the tightest in the series, infact I would go as far as to say 5 is a step back in-terms of pure mechanics. Though 3 is my fav. game by far.

He will enjoy 4's bosses more limited as they are, they are much more straightforward. But I would say it's because the number of bosses being low is a contributing factor to that. And Credo is honestly the best fight in the series and you get to fight him a whole of once. On the other hand, 4 is filled with waaay more annoying enemies than what's in 3, along with some spaces with horrid camera angles. So...

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Ah! yea. I been meaning to ask, what's your thoughts on Nioh? I haven't played it yet, but if it is remotely satisfying as an action game I am interested.

Well it's certantely not same as DMC, but don't take it in a bad way.
I already said it is this thread (and some others):

... when it comes to Hack 'n' Slash games IMO you can divide them into 2 categories: the ones with relatively slow movement speed and high commitment attacks wich punish the player for being careless and impatient (like Severance, Dark Souls, Nioh, Mount & Blade, Mordhau, For Honor, Dark Messiah, etc...); and the ones with fast paced combat and low commitment that reward aggressiveness and speed (like DMC, Ninja Gaiden, God Hand, Bayonetta, etc...).

So obviously you can't approach the combat in Nioh like you would in God Hand or DMC.
Nioh is very good. IMO Severance, Nioh and For Honor are the best games when of that type - although I would also add Dark Messiah, but DM is not as techincal as those 3 and because it's clearly trying to be a more "creative" thing.
While Severance has it's combos, and For Honor is trying to be like a figthing game. Nioh is interesting in that it gears you to be agressive but at the same time be very carefull with your stamina. The stance system modifies your attack speed, damage stamina consuption, the poise break, dodge range and speed, block defense and finally your weapon's moveset. So it's combat is about constant assessment and adaptation to the situation.
There are also skills that let you customized that moveset to a degree - like if you follow up a light attack chain with a heavy attack, you instantely swicth from X stance to Y stance - but they are mostly "special" moves - like a backstab, a launcher, an attack that clear the demons magic field, etc....

Dedicated_Dark will surely disagree me with on this, but while 4 has a much more refined combat - and I have a feeling you'll like 4 enemies and bosses much more
Actually I agree on this. DMC4 is the tightest in the series, infact I would go as far as to say 5 is a step back in-terms of pure mechanics. Though 3 is my fav. game by far.

He will enjoy 4's bosses more limited as they are, they are much more straightforward. But I would say it's because the number of bosses being low is a contributing factor to that. And Credo is honestly the best fight in the series and you get to fight him a whole of once. On the other hand, 4 is filled with waaay more annoying enemies than what's in 3, along with some spaces with horrid camera angles. So...

This is where I disagree.
5 improves/implements way more mechanics that it downgrades/takes.
For starters, let not even argue about Nero it's pointless.
So what this boils down to is Dante.
So reversals I get. They were in the demo, so why did Capcom take them out?
Guard flying is still there, the is just not as intense.
Now inertia.
Meh...
Both Nero and Dante (and even V) now have a lot more ways to directly control their movements/trajectory while in the air. Nero has the air taunt, gerbera, the wings, a new air attack (two if count a certain attack you can pull off with the tomboy when you're near an enemy). And a shitload of Dante's air attacks also let you directely control is trajectory like Rainstorm. Plus momentum still exists, it's just toned down.
Then 5 brings you all this new shit that I just can't go back to playing 4 extensevely: no more stiff movement and camera; air taunts; mustang (trick down); being able to parry every enemy; DT punch cancles enemies flying away; SDT; more fleshed out arsenal; DSD; being able to fire E&I separatevely; being able to use all weapons or even none; automatic charge in gunsliger; all the styles getting buffed; and much more.
4 is amazing in it's gameplay, but 5 polishes it and gives us more

Credo is indeed one of the best bosses to figth. But Vergil in 5 man is...

:shredder:

There's just this rush to the figth, that's just fucking intense. And I really can't wait to get to him DMD.

EDIT: My biggest problem when it comes to 5 mechanics, is that the scoring system is more lenient compared to the other entries.

Last edited:

Sjukob

Arcane
DMC1 is good, but not it's better than 3 - which is not overrated, and does deverse a space in any "best action games" list.
3 greatly improved on everything good from 1: combat vastly expanded upon; redesigned, and some new, gameplay mechanics; better arsenal; more enemy variety (you no longer see just one enemy type in each room); much more memorable, fun and challenging story mode; two distinct playstyles (Dante and Vergil); more extra content (unlockables + Bloody Palace); Turbo Mode.
As I've said DMC1 is better because unlike DMC3 it's consistently good and doesn't feature "bad parts", the only exception I would say is Griffon 2. There are no bosses like Arkham, Geryon, Gigapede or hearts, the enemy roster is way better, with only annoying enemies being death scythe and scissors, but they are very rare, have low health and you always fight them 1 on 1, while similar enemies in DMC3 - the fallen attack in packs, have significant amount of health + shields. There's also more interesting gameplay stuff to DMC1 like DT being an actual mechanic that gives you unique attacks and not just boosts your stats or enemies having unique weaknesses: shadow's needle attack, sin scissors shotgun to the face, blades 1 hit kill with healm breaker, kyklops friendly fire, baiting Phantom to fall onto the spike. DMC1 only real downsides are camera and weapon switching, DMC3 has more of everything, but it feels like developers didn't understand their game as good, so it's a lot more flawed.

Sjukob

Arcane

• infinite back dash
  • attacks on the move
  • attacks while being hit
I have no idea how you guys defend this. Nevan ? What if I don't want to use that ? Off screen ranged attacks ? That's cheesing.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
As I've said DMC1 is better because unlike DMC3 it's consistently good and doesn't feature "bad parts"

-various platform segments
-figthining the same bosses 3 or more times
-all Nigthmare figths
-griffon 2
-water segments
-all areas just have 1 type of enemy
-the final boss is not even the 3rd best boss figth of the game

There are no bosses like Arkham, Geryon, Gigapede or hearts, the enemy roster is way better,

There are also no bosses like A&R, Beowulf and Vergil in DMC1. And even Nevan is better than most bosses of 1.
Disagree about the enemy roster. All enemies in DMC1 all have both long range and melee (again because of the memory problems they had to make all enemies a jack of all trades). While in 3, each enemy is truly distinct and makes adapt to each situation accordingly.
Although aesthetically, 1 enemies are cooler.

There's also more interesting gameplay stuff to DMC1

The Styles alone are more interesting and complex than any gameplay mechanic of 1.
Then they reworked the taunts and style system.
The arsenal of 3 is also unquestionably better and more complex.

shadow's needle attack, sin scissors shotgun to the face, blades 1 hit kill with healm breaker, kyklops friendly fire, baiting Phantom to fall onto the spike.

If you want to compare the quantity of neat gameplay details and secrets, then forget it, because in that the departement the series really took off with 3 (and each subsequent sequel expanded those numbers).
Seriously when you get into the DMC combat galaxy brain wavelength and you start noticing all those things, you go: "Damn, this game is genius!". I'll give some cool examples from 3, 4 and 5: in 3 you can block Vergil's Force Edge Round Trip with the Prop Shredder; there's an enemy in 4 (wich I am sure you'll hate) called Blitz, that has an electricity shield, the most obvious way to disable said shield is to use firearms because melee attacks damage you back, but if you use royalguard immediately after an attack you'll cancel the damage; in 5 if you have SSS, you can use Dante's SDT for 1/2 seconds; in both 4 and 5 with Nero you can counter every enemy that charges at you; in 5 you can parry attack with V's cane; an much more.

DMC3 has more of everything, but it feels like developers didn't understand their game as good,

They did understand that what was good about DMC1 was it's combat, bosses and style. So in 3 they toned down everything else about 1 (the backtracking, puzzles, exploration, etc) and focused on what truly set DMC apart from any other game at the time.

• infinite back dash
  • attacks on the move
  • attacks while being hit
I have no idea how you guys defend this. Nevan ? What if I don't want to use that ? Off screen ranged attacks ? That's cheesing.

Again, just because your prefered playstyle isn't the better suited for that particular situation, doesn't make the design bad.
Any good game with heavy focus on combat, asks the player to assess a situation and adapt accordingly and also benefits from variety.

I already told you how to deal with then, but I'll repeat:
  • instead of using stinger, use the sword throw attack
  • a quick Drive (Rebellion's energy projectile) also does the job well
  • use Cerberus Revolver, Windmill, Flicker or Ice Age to block/shatter their arrows
  • use Nevan's bats to protect you and attack then
  • use Royal Guard to protect
  • Quicksilver to get near them
  • the sniper has long range and stuns them
  • with Artemis you don't have to chase them
  • most attacks from Beowulf kill them in one hit, the drop kick is specially good because you close the distance very fast (you can also use it's energy projection attack)
  • with Vergil Judgement Cut lvl. 2 and Round Trip are enough
10 different ways to kill them with no trouble and that are in no way cheesy.
Now if you don't wanna use any of these strategies, that's you problem man. But the game does give you the tools for it.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
I really can't call it between DMC1 and DMC3, as far as overall enjoyment. They're not even the same type of game to me. To say that DMC3's combat is more developed is an understatement. It's a whole different category of game by that point.

I find the mechanics sperging bothersome though, as video games are not just about mechanics, else developers wouldn't waste time developing any kind of mood or aesthetic and these games would take place in an extended version of the training stage from SF4, and Diablo 3 would be better than 1. I was going to make an argument for exploration, but there really is none. It's basic key hunting. Actual exploration is not really allowed, it's pretty obvious where to go next. No, what the first game is good at is staging and atmosphere, which was mentioned earlier. Feels like you are meant to see the campaign as an adventure for Dante more than any of the other games. He's super powered Van Helsing arriving at Dracula's lair. It takes a while to even get to the first combat encounter, no music. It's setting the mood. The castle feels like a space, not a level, not just a combat arena. The music is atmospheric and haunting while you walk its halls. The gothic-techno-rock sound makes for the best OST in the series, and it's unique to the first game. We get growling and jibberish in the later games, although 3 had some choice boss tracks. 3 wasn't devoid of "exploration" or atmosphere but the game proper begins with OTT combat right off the bat. None of its spaces are as good as the castle in 1, but it also doesn't have as glaringly weak sections.

I used to argue for the simplicity of DMC1s combat, in terms of being a piece of a whole. But now I think that, while simplicity is not objectively bad or inferior to complexity, it just isn't simple in a satisfying way in that game. I disagree with anyone who thinks just having more and longer combos equates to having better combat in general, but Capcom was right to expand the system in this particular series. If you go with the styling thing, you just can't have such limited tools as in the first game. They were excellent for the time, but we've gotten better games on both the simplicity and complexity fronts. A simpler ( in terms of number of moves and/or techniques) combat system needs meaty feedback and sense of heft, e.g. GodHand (if not simpler, more grounded) and Demon's Souls. DMC1 lacks this in comparison. Also, you and your enemies have to be far more lethal for simpler combat systems to feel good. If your enemies are spongy and you don't have that many different moves to use, that can get monotonous. I'm already not a fan of beating on lowly enemies for two minutes that a lot of these kinds of games do, but at least give me enough tools to do it differently with each enemy.

4 has arguably the best combat up until that point, but the journey sucks eggs. Lame bosses (a toad? a plant bitch?), lame environments with no atmosphere, can't remember a single track. They were going for some kind of angel theme before Bayonetta, but it doesn't work. It just feels like a series of combat encounters with a half hearted attempt at creating a sense of place and narrative progression, and it's the worse for it unless you're a complete mechanicsfag.

Last edited:

Sjukob

Arcane
-figthining the same bosses 3 or more times
-all Nigthmare figths
-griffon 2
-water segments
-all areas just have 1 type of enemy
-the final boss is not even the 3rd best boss figth of the game

1. All of them are good (except Griffon 2, obviously) and get new attacks, and mechanics as you progress, kind of like Vergil. I know that some people complained about this, but it never bothered me personally.
  2. What do you not like about Nightmare ? It's one of the better bosses is series.
  3. Shit sucks, agreed completely.
  4. Oh I didn't mind them at all, I thought they were fine. Besides, the entire duration of underwater segments is under 5 minutes (probably less than it would take you to kill a bunch of DTed enemies in DMC3) and underwater secret mission is one of few ones that are actually fun.
  5. And they are designed with this in mind. DMC1 enemies are good and complete enough that it doesn't feel like a drawback.
  6. Ah, what's the argument here ? He's pretty epic and challenging if you want to compare him to Vergil.
  7. Good point. I actually forgot about most of it, I wanted to reply that the only real platforming you have to do is when you need to get Ifrit, but then I remembered mission 15, underworld + there's likely some other stuff that I don't really remember already.
Alright, platforming, you got me here, but everything else... I'm really not trying to bullshit you about repeating bosses, swimming sections or only 1 type of enemy. I never thought badly about it, not even for the first time.

There are also no bosses like A&R, Beowulf and Vergil in DMC1. And even Nevan is better than most bosses of 1.
Well yes, the initial point was about DMC1 being consistently good, while DMC3 has some really great (better than just good) parts, but also some really awful ones. Nevan better than some bosses in DMC1 ? Is that what you really think, huh ? Personally I would say that a single DMC1 shadow is better than the whole Nevan fight, lol. But joking aside, I've already said why I dislike Nevan:

I've already said why I dislike every boss besides Vergil, A&R, Beowulf and Cerberus, keep in mind that I don't really count hell vanguard as a boss. Do you understand what these 4 bosses have in common ? They are vulnerable all the time and it's up for you to find time to attack them, you are not required to do any dumb stuff to make them vulnerable (cerberus shield gets destroyed so quickly that it doesn't count), but every other boss is just about doing some gimmick, attacking during vulnerability window, dodging while boss is shielded/hiding/uncreachable or whatever and repeating the process. Vergil, A&R, Beowulf and Cerberus are good because they allow you to do what you want and be creative (it's kind of true for Nevan, but I really fucking hate shields)

I'm probably biased, but I really don't see Nevan as a good boss, she's ok at best. And don't say that Nightmare is the same, please. You can bypass Nightmare's defence way faster and easier, it's vulnerability window is bigger and it's healthpool isn't as big, also you don't have to chase it around the room.

As for enemy roster, I guess we'll just never agree, I don't understand how them having melee + ranged attacks is bad, all of them behave differently. I would take DMC1 enemies any time over DMC3 ones.

The Styles alone are more interesting and complex than any gameplay mechanic of 1.
Then they reworked the taunts and style system.
The arsenal of 3 is also unquestionably better and more complex.
Oh, I guess I described that poorly. I didn't mean to say that DMC1 has more gameplay mechanics or moves than DMC3, but rather that it has some interesting things that DMC3 lacks or gave up on. Yes, it added it's own, but it would've been even better if they didn't leave some stuff behind. As for your notes about hidden techniques, I guess that's fair. But keep in mind that it's not just about finding cool little things, it's also about them being rewarding. In DMC1 those hidden things would allow you to instagib (or almost) certain enemies, so you have a very good motive to go for them, but what about other entries ? The only thing I know in DMC3 that can compare to "critical kills" in DMC1 is A&R knocking their swords out of each other's hands.

They did understand that what was good about DMC1 was it's combat, bosses and style. So in 3 they toned down everything else about 1 (the backtracking, puzzles, exploration, etc) and focused on what truly set DMC apart from any other game at the time.
You can't say it with a straight face, when DMC3 has missions like 6, 8, 12, 15, 16 and 17. I've seen some guy on the internet joking about how you backtrack in DMC3 100% of time. Well, you know how they say that every joke is only partially a joke and everything else is truth ?

As for enigmas, I will try your tips, might even record the results. This is also the thing that I don't really get about DMC3, I have a feeling that it wants you to play how you want, but at the same time there are parts in which you are kind of fucked unless you have some specific weapons/styles.

Last edited:

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
This is where I disagree.
5 improves/implements way more mechanics that it downgrades/takes.
For starters, let not even argue about Nero it's pointless.
So what this boils down to is Dante.
So reversals I get. They were in the demo, so why did Capcom take them out?
Guard flying is still there, the is just not as intense.
Now inertia.
Meh...
Both Nero and Dante (and even V) now have a lot more ways to directly control their movements/trajectory while in the air. Nero has the air taunt, gerbera, the wings, a new air attack (two if count a certain attack you can pull off with the tomboy when you're near an enemy). And a shitload of Dante's air attacks also let you directely control is trajectory like Rainstorm. Plus momentum still exists, it's just toned down.
Then 5 brings you all this new shit that I just can't go back to playing 4 extensevely: no more stiff movement and camera; air taunts; mustang (trick down); being able to parry every enemy; DT punch cancles enemies flying away; SDT; more fleshed out arsenal; DSD; being able to fire E&I separatevely; being able to use all weapons or even none; automatic charge in gunsliger; all the styles getting buffed; and much more.
4 is amazing in it's gameplay, but 5 polishes it and gives us more
Leaving out the removal of both inertia and reversals, which are very important.
Nero is better in 5 interms of movesets and tools. But that's not what I am getting at, it's the tightness, everything is significantly faster on 4 and no, I am not talking about gamespeed.
Jump cancels are instantaneous, in 5 they feel like you are jumping off a platform. The attacks and enemy attacks are much more relentless and come faster than anything in 5.
If you play with Dante you can see that the response feels slower in 5 than in 4. And some combo's of Dante like Rebellion Combo B were slowed down in 5. While the tools were expanded in 5, they enemies I feel were dumbed down, I no longer get the rush and edge of the seat experience playing 5 like I do playing 4. I still get it playing 4. It's very hard to put into words, a lot of it comes down to feel.

If you remember, most of us made fun of the fact that in DmC you could pull an enemy to the air and jump off him, pull him again and repeat to infinity to keep getting higher. In DMC5 it is a thing you very much can do. I feel DMC5 is getting away with a lot of changes. In DMC4 I feel pushed to my absolute limits and the game still demands more, in DMC5 it's just a matter of learning. I won't deny on the myriad of improvements.

DMC5 taught me to play more than any other game in the series due to wide timings & other changes. But DMC4 is where I go to test my skills.

Sjukob

Arcane
I tried playing DMC4...
:dead:

I'm going to suck up my complaints and stick with DMC3 instead.

Onionguy

Educated
Dmc 4 >>>>>>> Dmc 3. I've never understood the complains. It's not without faults, but its enemies, bosses and overall combat feeling appealed to me much stronger then most things in 3. It has some shitty levels, retarded story, notorious backtracking and an inconsistent theme but it still a better action game, and one that doesn't need to be modded to be playable. Still nothing more then 4/5 game for me. Hope DMCV finally realizes the potential of the genre since almost all the other games (DMC3,NGB,MGS:R) felt underwhelming to me. I also need to give Bayonetta a try, but what wont't happen until I upgrade my ancient rig.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I wouldn't say that DMC4 is better than 3, but it is a damn fine game in the series. Great combat system, some few good bosses and good enemies. Too bad about the backtracking.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
... inertia and reversals, which are very important.
Jump cancels are instantaneous, in 5 they feel like you are jumping off a platform.

The JC window is indeed larger in 5 which, but that's offset by a very brief cooldown to make it less spammable, which is a net positive.
Besides JC was weird in 4. Since most enemies are weirdly shaped there was a very specific and normally invisible spot that you could jump off of.
Without a training mode learning that JC spot is awkward, that's why alot of comboautists spent ages in debug mode and used hacks to see the actual hitboxes in the game. In fact when all those comboautists started moaning no inertia a few weeks after 5's release there were alot of people on 4chan mocking then they were only mad because now more people could do the same stuff they did without spending hours on end in 4's debug to train, because 5 came with the Void. :lol:

Inertia was useful because you could use it to realign yourself to be able to touch that tiny JC spot in an enemy and also gave a bit more freeform mobility in the air.
But now that the JC system is less artificially gated and there are more ways to directly control your mobility in the air, inertia would pretty much bring nothing to 5.

Reversals are important, and I still don't know why they took it when it could be done in the demo.
But it's something I forgive because they did a bang up excellent job with 5 (plus there's already mods for it).

If you play with Dante you can see that the response feels slower in 5 than in 4. And some combo's of Dante like Rebellion Combo B were slowed down in 5.

No DMC5 isn't slower compared to 4 - at least 4 without turbo. The speed is pretty much the same, even the few comboautists that don't like 5 don't deny this.
Only the transition between Stinger and Million Stab is slower.

What makes it feel like 4 attacks are faster and heavier is due to 5's realistic graphics and hyper detailed animations make them seem/feel "floatier".

Side by side comparasion:

The attacks and enemy attacks are much more relentless and come faster than anything in 5 ... enemies I feel were dumbed down,

I recentely made a comparasion myself (by playing 3, 4 and 5 in a row) and in 5 enemies are as aggressive (if not more) as 3 and 4, but unless you're playing on anything that isn't SoS or higher they just make less damage. Add that to the myriad of tools there is now (plus you've already beaten 3 and 4), and it's easy to think they are easier. Also the fact that 5 levels are more open - areas are not as tight and don't have as much obstacles - does take away some of the challenge in playing as efficiently as you can.

5's enemy roster is pretty much the best enemies from 1,3 and 4 (there's even some from 2) but revamped, with more tricks up their sleeve and just more fun to play.
4's enemy design is for the most part very obtuse, sometimes to the point of annoyance. Nothing says DMC4 more than doing some sick air combo, to only to land on a fucking parasite and have your progress undone. Even compared to 3, most of 4's enemies are lacking.

A good comparasion on how 5 improves 4 design for example is Fury.
Fury is pretty much Blitz, but actually dangerous and much less boring to figth. The first 2 times I fougth blitz I died, because I was still learning his moves and how to kill him, after that I never once died against a blitz and almost never got hit again. And every subsequent figth with Blitz was just tiresome... While even now I still have some problems dealling with Furies.

If you remember, most of us made fun of the fact that in DmC you could pull an enemy to the air and jump off him, pull him again and repeat to infinity to keep getting higher. In DMC5 it is a thing you very much can do.

With Nero sure. But that was also something you could do in 4.

I tried playing DMC4...
:dead:

I'm going to suck up my complaints and stick with DMC3 instead.

The game has a lot of good shit and is worth a play. Plus you already have it installed and you even completed 2, so don't put 4 down just yet.
At leat complete the campgain once. Then go back to 3 or better yet advance to 5.

By the way in what mission are you in 4?
Also had you tried Vergil in 3?

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
I shat on certain aspects of DMC4, but I still think it's worth it to keep playing so you can get to Dante. I didn't think Nero was bad at all, but Dante is when the game really comes alive for me.

This discussion makes me hope there is some kind of thing like OpenBOR for 3D games in the future. Imagine being able play a bash-up DMC game that has all of your favorite areas, weapons, enemies, music from the series in one game. Sure it would be unbalanced as shit, but still

Sjukob

Arcane
I got to the first Dante mission in DMC4 and playing him made me write that post. Compared to DMC3 he controls and feels like ass.
Gunslinger, E&I and shotgun are nerfed into oblivion:
  • Can't cancel shotgun reload animation with jump anymore;
  • Can't cancel shotgun reload animation by switching to E&I and shooting anymore;
  • Guard cancelling shotgun reload animation is way slower;
  • Shotgun and E&I deal pathetic damage even with charged shots;
  • Shotgun doesn't knock enemies down anymore, even if you shoot point blank;
  • Gunstinger is beyond pathetic - no damage and slow uncancellable recovery.
Great ! That's 2 out of 3 firearms that are just impractical to use, they might help you to keep yourself/enemies in the air, but that's it. It's especially insulting when Nero's Blue Rose is essentially a nuke launcher.
In DMC3 you can actually use guns to shred demons.

As for Dante in general:
  • No crazy combos anymore - no wild stomp, no point blank, crazy dance was replaced by some triple slash that covers lesser area and is way slower;
  • Only 1 dash with trickster unless you use DT;
  • If you switch styles while standing still Dante enters uncancellable animation;
  • I don't know if that's me, but sometimes styles/weapons don't switch in the middle of the actions and I have to press button again. That never happened in DMC3 with style switcher mod;
  • Rebellion combo B now forces million stab;
  • Hits don't feel as impactful as in DMC3, it's almost like Dante is hitting the air.
Drive, air hike (general skill now) got improved and it's easier now to do stinger->million stab, but that's about it for the positive sides. I haven't got other weapons, so I don't know if it gets better somehow, but in DMC3 Dante wasn't as clunky as he's in DMC4. Also camera is worse, it's especially noteciable when you fight angelos. And finaly JC is weird, I'm bad at it, but I can do it to some extent in DMC3, in DMC4 I can't even aerial rave JC those giant scarecrows, looking at what DJOGamer PT wrote it might be that it's not just me being bad.

There are some other problems of course, but I was willing to ignore them if it felt good to play Dante.

No, I don't feel like confusing myself further until I have a good understanding of what Dante can do.

Last edited:

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
  • No crazy combos anymore - no wild stomp, no point blank, crazy dance was replaced by some triple slash that covers lesser area and is way slower;
  • If you switch styles while standing still Dante enters uncancellable animation;
  • I don't know if that's me, but sometimes styles/weapons don't switch in the middle of the actions and I have to press button again. That never happened in DMC3 with style switcher mod;
  • Hits don't feel as impactful as in DMC3, it's almost like Dante is hitting the air.
I agree with all of this, they all annoyed me a lot when I first played 4. Though over the years I crushed them in the back of my mind. The worst are definitely the guns, they feel like pea shooters.

Having said that there are plenty of stuff in 4 that's much tighter than 3. And things you can only do in 4, so you will stop caring as much after a bit. Anyway, I think DMC5 brought the shotgun back pretty well.

No, I don't feel like confusing myself further until I have a good understanding of what Dante can do.
He plays very similar to Dante, albeit with differences that makes him unique. Most of Dante's moveset translates pretty well to Vergil. You should, cause he is really fun and much easier to play.

Sjukob

Arcane
Video footage of some stuff I'm talking about, sorry for terrible editing, it's the first time I'm doing something like this.

Can't cancel shotgun reload animation with jump anymore;
You actually can, but it's way more awkward and requires precise timing.

If you switch styles while standing still Dante enters uncancellable animation;
Can be cancelled by jumping, but why the fuck it locks you out of running ?!

Some anon wrote a list of nerfs/downgrades to Dante in DMC4, it's heartbreaking.
dmc42.png

dmc4.png

dmc41.png

Too bad about the backtracking.
and Dante.

I agree with all of this, they all annoyed me a lot when I first played 4. Though over the years I crushed them in the back of my mind. The worst are definitely the guns, they feel like pea shooters. Having said that there are plenty of stuff in 4 that's much tighter than 3. And things you can only do in 4, so you will stop caring as much after a bit.
Yeah... No. I would prefer to play the better version that isn't as stiff, has more varied arsenal and doesn't require you to do more actions and inputs to achieve the same result.

He plays very similar to Dante, albeit with differences that makes him unique. Most of Dante's moveset translates pretty well to Vergil. You should, cause he is really fun and much easier to play.
I might try him out later.

This discussion makes me hope there is some kind of thing like OpenBOR for 3D games in the future.
Yes, playing this type of games made me wonder why didn't developers bother to allow players go full cuhrazy by adding modding support or at least large amount of customizable game parameters like in Streets of Rage Remake.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I got to the first Dante mission in DMC4

So what did you think of Nero?
He's clearly mix between Dante and Vergil, but IMO they were very smart with the Devil Bringer because it pretty much functions both as the Trickster and Royal Guard Style

Also what did you think of the enemies and bosses so far, specially Credo and the 2nd Dante figth?
While most people will say Credo, the one I enjoyed the most was the 2nd Dante fight, but mainly in SoS or DMD because there he uses more moves, switches between styles much more often and even taunts you regularly.

Great ! That's 2 out of 3 firearms that are just impractical to use, they might help you to keep yourself/enemies in the air, but that's it.

Aside from the third gun (I don't know if you got it yet), in 4 they mostly to look cool and juggle them, not to do damage (only charged shots are useful for damage like you said, even then they don't compare to 3).

As for Dante in general:

All of his Styles have been nerfed. I think maybe the devs thought that because they give you Style Switching, they had to nerf it for reasons...

And finaly JC is weird, I'm bad at it, but I can do it to some extent in DMC3, in DMC4 I can't even aerial rave JC those giant scarecrows, looking at what DJOGamer PT wrote it might be that it's not just me being bad.

Yeah it's because the enemies hitboxes are weirdly shaped, and have a specific point for the player to JC from.

Well when you do play with him in 3 and if youy have the DMC4:SE installed, then try him out in 4. I think you'll have fun comparing him between the 2 games.
He gets insanely OP in 4

This discussion makes me hope there is some kind of thing like OpenBOR for 3D games in the future.
Yes, playing this type of games made me wonder why didn't developers bother to allow players go full cuhrazy by adding modding support or at least large amount of customizable game parameters like in Streets of Rage Remake.

Modding isn't something popular in Japan. Never was. Again because PC gaming never was very popular there (unless it was for Hentai games, which is also why the pc had a bad reputation there), consoles and arcades are the japs things. However, since DS PC port, not only have PC ports become common place, but their games are also relatevely simple to mod (although obviously not to the extent of games with modding tools).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom