Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima Best way to play Ultima IV on modern OS?

Best way to play Ultima IV on modern OS?

• Total voters

jimster

Educated
There are a ton of different ways to play it; what's the best in your opinion and why?

nlfortier

Esturia Games
Developer
The Sega Master System version is the best console port. If you want to play it on your phone, this version plays nicely in an emulator. Dialog is done through a menu system, which is a nice improvement, but the dungeons are overhead instead of first person, which is a pretty significant departure from the original. That said, for the authentic original experience, you can't beat the DOS version.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
Sega Master System is great - like nlfortier said, the dungeons are overhead rather then top down, but it's otherwise all the same content - game looks better, and you can attack diagonally.

Best way to play it.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Someone already did a lot of homework on this. Personally, I would only play the C64 version, but ymmv. Fellow below does a 5.5 minute video comparing 16 different versions. Brief but to the point.

(but play the C64 version. it's the best!)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I can't find solitary videos of extensive reviews on Xu4 or VOH. The problem with the last video is the teeny tiny view and samples. Its fine, though for other games I've seen better.

I can't recall if VOH of Xu4 is a huge pain in the ass to get working on modern windows. I know the last akalabeth for dos upgrade fucks up consistently. Again, these games need a patching to work correctly. I didn't hear the FM-towns music playing (another emulator i have i bitch of a time... not as bad as MAC which I'm furious at).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom