Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bethesda General Discussion Thread

Codex Year of the Donut
deuxhero
image.png

Ocato was appointed as the Imperial Battlemage directly after Jagar Tharn was defeated, and became Uriel Septim's "confidante and chief advisor" as the Daggerfall user manual states
CJVmDAl.png

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Todd is no longer the only alpha in Beth: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news...fferings_with_Alpha_Dog_Games_acquisition.php

Bethesda looks to bolster its mobile game offerings with Alpha Dog Games acquisition

Alpha Dog Games, the studio behind games like Monstrocity Rampage and Wraithborne, has been acquired by Bethesda Softworks for an undisclosed sum.

The move sees the Canadian studio supporting Bethesda’s own growing mobile game ambitions, support that Bethesda says includes the development of new iOS and Android games down the line.

"We are impressed by the team at Alpha Dog's commitment to quality and depth of experience in mobile," said Bethesda SVP of development Todd Vaughn in a press release. "We're excited to have them join the Bethesda family."

Bethesda itself isn’t entirely a stranger to developing mobile games, but this acquisition shows that the company is looking to expand its dealings on mobile platforms. So far, Bethesda has released two games for iOS and Android: Fallout Shelter, developed in part by Behaviour Interactive, and The Elder Scrolls: Blades.

Modron

Arcane
Has there been any studio in the last ten years that Zenimax published a game for and didn't use that as leverage to buy them out/assimilate/cause them to be dissolved?

A good example of this is Fallout progression system. Fallout 3 progression had depth and was pretty consistent to the original two Fallouts

:nocountryforshitposters:

Ps. Also, pre-Oblivion/pre-Zenimax/pre-director Todd times and games, the only ones with a good quality, are not even mentioned in the video.

Curratum

With all due respect for Zur, of which I have none, his music is, for the most part, dull, boring drones.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Then I remembered reviewing Skyrim is still relevant, because every game they've made for the past 20 years is Skyrim.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I'm getting the sense they're burning cash, none of their products has worked this year and they're getting desperate. Big focus on mobile games and they seemed to have dropped their usual focus on single player experiences, going for multiplayer stuff because they reckon the cash is there.

Only Bethesda have never been good at coding and you can't fuck it up when it comes to online shit.

Shinji

Savant
Yeah, it really looks like a desperate attempt to make some quick cash.

But it's confusing, because it's not like Fallout 4 or Doom didn't sold well. Something bad must have happened behind the scenes at Zenimax or Bethesda.

My only guess is that those leaks just before E3 2017 forced them to put on hold some projects and their announcements, which then would prove to the public that the leak was "fake". The downside to that strategy was having to release some other titles (not on their original plans) as quickly as possible to keep the cash flowing in.

garren

Arcane
Patron
I can't remember where I read/watched it but I seem to remember hearing that Bethesda was actually making money out of fallout 76 because the few people playing were spending so much money in the integrated cash shop. Could be wrong though.

Nas92

Augur
I can't remember where I read/watched it but I seem to remember hearing that Bethesda was actually making money out of fallout 76 because the few people playing were spending so much money in the integrated cash shop. Could be wrong though.
They were always going to make money from F76, always. They probably made bank from pre-orders alone, and yes, there are enough idiots spending money on that shite still to keep them going.

But not everything is good for Todd and the gang. Fallout 76 was designed as a cashcow to keep them going until they can release Starfield which is stuck in limbo according to rumors. While it brings in money, I highly doubt they are making as much as they'd like, not to mention it's painfully obvious how much they underestimated the hassle there is with maintaining an online game.

Trashos

Arcane
Such things usually happen when Zenimax one is trying to attract Providence Equity Partners buyers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom