Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bethesda to develop and publish Fallout 3?

Worm

Liturgist
Sheriff05 said:
Hello you dimwitted asshole,
HIYA!

what don't you understand about there doesn't need to be a sequel?
Yeah, I don't know where you came from but no one else was saying "there never should have been FO3!".
, why the fuck do you think that anyone expect the core folks that made the original two game are going to make something decent?
Because, the core folks since haven't made anything that measures up to Fallout with a fraction higher than 1/2.

(Even they had those non repeatable "right time. right place" moments)
Buying the license at this point is about nothing but dollars signs flashing in the head of someone who runs a company that can't think of anything "new" to do.
Maybe they actually like the game and think they can do it justice? Or are we going to just set all relative unknowns in your favor?

Didn't the last two Fallout abortions convince that all the genius out there trying reinvent the game wouldn't know "what" made the game cool if you poured it boiling hot down their stupid throats?
Oh, BethSoft did those? That's the only way it would be relevant. Unless you are claiming some Cub's Curse bullshit here.

It's just like your favorite band dying in a plane crash and then their roadies decide to "carry the torch". nobody gives a fuck..
If the roadies know how to play, ROCK ON!

Worm

Liturgist
MF said:
Take a look at Arcanum, worm.

When you're walking through Tarant, people will just walk you by, just like in Morrowind.When you accost them, they will be friendly, formal or polite, or tell you to sod off if you have low charisma/bad reputation. THAT is a correct implementation of what you're talking about. They wil help friendly charismatic strangers, they are polite to normal strangers and they tell the ugly bastard Orc to bugger off.

In Morrowind, they either tell you everything they know in Encyclopedia form, or they attack you. No other option.

To me, Arcanum felt alive. Tarant felt like a city. Morrowind doesn't have that feeling.
Yeah, and they totally trashed it with mandatory dungeon crawls. Oops.
mr. lamat said:
"MYSTERIOUS HERO EVERYONE IN TOWN IS IMMEDIATELY INTERESTED WITH AND BEGUILED WITH".

you were a traveller in a desolate land (this is a story choice, not the same desolation morrowind's world consisted of) so it would only make sense that people would take an interest in the only new person to wander into the village that year. he/she would probably get more attention if they carried one of the rarest commodities, a functioning gun. the pc was an oddity in a world were people lived harsh, short and dreary lives.

the beguiling was due to points spent on the skill of speech.

Yeah, that's so much like life you know. Everyone you've known for about a day or two is your friend, is interested in you, and not in anyone else. The NPCs in Morrowind are about as interested in you as they are in one another.

once again, refer to the traveller in a bleak land remark. most npcs didn't see you as a friend but a means to an end. they used you for their own needs because the pc was unknown, disposable and well armed... a rare commodity in the fictional world of fallout.
There were plenty of other guns. I mean maybe there was an excuse in Shady Sands and Modoc but in the other cities it was simply just that you were the main character, who else would they care about?

Lasakon said:
Worm said:
Lasakon said:
Worm said:
Lasakon said:
Interesting NPC's=Better game. NPC's that don't repeat the same things over and over again are not preferable to Unique NPC's. Interesting NPC's are one of the reasons I love Japanese RPG's so much. Why don't you?
Yeah, that's so much like life you know. Everyone you've known for about a day or two is your friend, is interested in you, and not in anyone else. The NPCs in Morrowind are about as interested in you as they are in one another.
Just like everyone in life loves to give out thier encyclopedic knowledge of the world to anyone who walks by.
Yeah, because it's a computer game, the play constantly needs iinfo, but NPCs who don't give a shit about me doesn't detract from my experience.
Your realism example failed so you suddenly go with a "it's just a game" argument. Clever.
Or maybe "it's just a game" that is attempting to give you realism and gameplay at once? OOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo

Shevek

Arcane
I enjoyed Daggerfall but I just do not see how Bethesda can hope to do FO3. I will wait before I come to a final judgement but I will say that I just do not see how Bethesda can get the setting right much less the gameplay.

This looks bad.

Lasakon

Liturgist
Worm said:
Lasakon said:
Worm said:
Lasakon said:
Worm said:
Lasakon said:
Interesting NPC's=Better game. NPC's that don't repeat the same things over and over again are not preferable to Unique NPC's. Interesting NPC's are one of the reasons I love Japanese RPG's so much. Why don't you?
Just like everyone in life loves to give out thier encyclopedic knowledge of the world to anyone who walks by.
Yeah, because it's a computer game, the play constantly needs iinfo, but NPCs who don't give a shit about me doesn't detract from my experience.
Your realism example failed so you suddenly go with a "it's just a game" argument. Clever.
Or maybe "it's just a game" that is attempting to give you realism and gameplay at once? OOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo
If they wanted gameplay and realism, I guess they should have scrapped the project and made The Elder Scrolls:Redguard Six. Or you know put that whole effort thing into the development.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
It certainly doesn't look good. I've never played any of Bethesdas games, but from what Im getting here the characters are flat mainly, without much to them.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
The fact that Arcanum lacked balance here and there and that you probably got frustrated in the first dwarven mines, doesn't take away what I pointed out.

The 'realistic' system you want is right there, in Arcanum. Forget that you don't like the dungeons and reply to what I said about Tarant and 'stranger interaction'. You probably won't do that anyway so I really wonder why I'm bothering.

dipdipdip

Liturgist
Major_Blackhart said:
It certainly doesn't look good. I've never played any of Bethesdas games, but from what Im getting here the characters are flat mainly, without much to them.

To say that they're "flat" would be an overstatement.

Worm

Liturgist
Lasakon said:
Worm said:
Lasakon said:
Worm said:
Lasakon said:
Worm said:
Lasakon said:
If they wanted gameplay and realism, I guess they should have scrapped the project and made The Elder Scrolls:Redguard Six. Or you know put that whole effort thing into the development.
The TES series is an arguement of world depth Vs. character depth. There was loads of effort put into all of the games. Don't you pretend that they just churned out the best sellers. The only one you even have half a point with is Morrowind.

Yeah, the NPCs in Morrowind are information kiosks and quest chances. Though the NPCs in Fallout are usually your number one fan (unless you play a retard) and quest chances. Sure there was a load of great writing that went into the characters. Though there was just the same amount of creativity that went into the Daggerfall and Morrowind worlds.

Lasakon

Liturgist
dipdipdip said:
Major_Blackhart said:

To say that they're "flat" would be an overstatement.
Un-dimensional would be a good term.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Worm said:
Yeah, I don't know where you came from but no one else was saying "there never should have been FO3!".

Oh I came from page 6-7 of the thread, others gladly share my opinion or would defer to it over let's create fallout abortion # 3

Because, the core folks since haven't made anything that measures up to Fallout with a fraction higher than 1/2.

an opinion that's irrelevant in this discussion since you admittedly haven't played either Arcanum or ToEE. Granted neither were as good- but both weren't the exact same team of people anyway. Edit: ( apparently you played Arcanum, my bad..point still made.)

Maybe they actually like the game and think they can do it justice? Or are we going to just set all relative unknowns in your favor?

So you're the eternal optimist despite all the informed opinions and facts thrown against you?

Oh, BethSoft did those? That's the only way it would be relevant. Unless you are claiming some Cub's Curse bullshit here.

You might be on to something here, Herve Caen brought a goat over to the Bethsoft offices and they all had to fuck it to seal the licensing deal!!
That's the interplay secret handshake!

Ok, now you just need your ass beat..start a line people

mr. lamat

Liturgist
There were plenty of other guns. I mean maybe there was an excuse in Shady Sands and Modoc but in the other cities it was simply just that you were the main character, who else would they care about?

the unknown face with zero ties makes for a credible fall guy and a great tool to use for your nefarious ends (you should be familiar with the concept, it's happening right now). we've gone over that point. rote learner, huh?

Or maybe "it's just a game" that is attempting to give you realism and gameplay at once?

word for word recitations of generic and useless info are not related to gameplay or realism. they're related to the wikipedia system, which is a major failing of the ES games. it's a poor design choice which inhibits meaningful (in game terms) interaction with the npcs of the gameworld. it's neither striving towards either of the qualities expressed by yourself, it's functioning as a program.

The TES series is an arguement of world depth Vs. character depth.

size of the environment that can be displayed with a single pov vs. depth of the game world. far different, once again, from the argument you're making.

i can whip these momma's boys into a frenzy better than most anyone here. you're trying too hard and coming up far short of the mark, muffin.

Lasakon

Liturgist
Worm said:
Lasakon said:
Worm said:
Lasakon said:
Worm said:
Lasakon said:
Worm said:
Lasakon said:
The TES series is an arguement of world depth Vs. character depth. There was loads of effort put into all of the games. Don't you pretend that they just churned out the best sellers. The only one you even have half a point with is Morrowind.

Yeah, the NPCs in Morrowind are information kiosks and quest chances. Though the NPCs in Fallout are usually your number one fan (unless you play a retard) and quest chances. Sure there was a load of great writing that went into the characters. Though there was just the same amount of creativity that went into the Daggerfall and Morrowind worlds.
The same bland looking towns and peninsulas that connect them were so engaging. so full of depth and variety. Fantastic point.

Worm

Liturgist
MF said:
The fact that Arcanum lacked balance here and there and that you probably got frustrated in the first dwarven mines, doesn't take away what I pointed out.

The 'realistic' system you want is right there, in Arcanum. Forget that you don't like the dungeons and reply to what I said about Tarant and 'stranger interaction'. You probably won't do that anyway so I really wonder why I'm bothering.
Yeah people would constantly mention that I was a <race name> they would also react based on modifiers. Though the essential NPCs felt pretty much the same. I got the same result from them and little to no story line branching. I mean sure you could rogue, warrior, or talk your way through somethings, which is nice I guess. It just had so few really cool towns.

triCritical

Erudite
Transcendent One said:
A few cool towns is a lot more than what Morrowind had.

Well because Morrowind had no sociological aspect to it. At first I think people are over-joyed with the scope and then after awhile, it sinks in and people realize its all a facade with absolutely no substance.

Its just bread people...

Worm

Liturgist
Sheriff05 said:
Worm said:

an opinion that's irrelevant in this discussion since you admittedly haven't played either Arcanum or ToEE. Granted neither were as good- but both weren't the exact same team of people anyway.
Actually I admited I didn't play ToEE.

So you're the eternal optimist despite all the informed opinions and facts thrown against you?
What, facts? Do you mean "old dogs don't learn new tricks!" and "thier other games were all the same!"?

You might be on to something here, Herve Caen brought a goat over to the Bethsoft offices and they all had to fuck it to seal the licensing deal!!
That's the interplay secret handshake!
Well, I'm getting no better explanations expect for a bunch of "I KNOW IT'S GONNA SUCK".

Ok, now you just need your ass beat..start a line people
Oh my stars.

Lasakon said:
The same bland looking towns and peninsulas that connect them were so engaging. so full of depth and variety. Fantastic point.
Wow, I don't think you're serious. But I am. I liked what Morrowind was. I do not believe Bethsoft is a bunch of mentally incapacitated people who are going to make Fallout : TES V.

mr. lamat said:

the unknown face with zero ties makes for a credible fall guy and a great tool to use for your nefarious ends (you should be familiar with the concept, it's happening right now). we've gone over that point. rote learner, huh?
Okay, so the Bishop girls were fucking you why? Everyone confided their problems in you why? Sometimes there were reasons, sometimes you were the latest Hero Type to be through town.

Or maybe "it's just a game" that is attempting to give you realism and gameplay at once?

word for word recitations of generic and useless info are not related to gameplay or realism. they're related to the wikipedia system, which is a major failing of the ES games. it's a poor design choice which inhibits meaningful (in game terms) interaction with the npcs of the gameworld. it's neither striving towards either of the qualities expressed by yourself, it's functioning as a program.
Yeah, this is my point, you don't always have meaningful interaction with everyone.

The TES series is an arguement of world depth Vs. character depth.

size of the environment that can be displayed with a single pov vs. depth of the game world. far different, once again, from the argument you're making.

i can whip these momma's boys into a frenzy better than most anyone here. you're trying too hard and coming up far short of the mark, muffin.
Uhh okay, honey. I'm not making that argument. I'm saying that is what TES provides instead of totally awesome talking. It's a different type of RPG. Oh you don't enjoy it? Okay.

Worm

Liturgist
triCritical said:
Transcendent One said:
A few cool towns is a lot more than what Morrowind had.

Well because Morrowind had no sociological aspect to it. At first I think people are over-joyed with the scope and then after awhile, it sinks in and people realize its all a facade with absolutely no substance.
Yeah, why didn't Morrowind follow Fallout's example? Oh, because it was a different game? If anything BethSoft knows how to follow suit of their sequels!

taks

Liturgist
Sheriff05 said:

i'm curious what facts you're referring to in a debate on opinion? so far, the only "fact" we have is that the genius PR guy said something that implied an FPS game... other than that we have sales figures of all these companies (at least good guesses...)

lets not confuse the subjective with the objective...

taks

Transcendent One

Liturgist

Exactly what happened to me. At first the sheer size of the game amazed me. Then bit by bit I realized everything was the same, everything had little to no depth. And now quests weren't even randomized like they were in Daggerfall meaning that you'd have to go through the same crap every playthrough.

taks

Liturgist
actually, the first thing i noticed is that it wouldn't run on my PC. i had an average rig at the time but to no avail... i'm not sure why crpg developers think they need to push the technology limits in their games. the average gamer doesn't have the high end $50,000 rig that can pre-render Pixar films so why try to sell a game that requires the same? the engine in MW, btw, suffered from a bit of a render flaw, too, as i recall. of course, it runs ok on my latest rig (with a TI4600), but i still get sub-20s for frame rates in some cities (with options all turned down)...

taks

Sheriff05

Liturgist
taks said:
Sheriff05 said:

i'm curious what facts you're referring to in a debate on opinion? so far, the only "fact" we have is that the genius PR guy said something that implied an FPS game... other than that we have sales figures of all these companies (at least good guesses...)

taks

I was generalizing in lieu of his stupid comments not refering to anything specific.
he seems quite optimistic about BS despite the odds being way stacked against it.
Regardless, my opinion is there shouldn't be another fallout game, period.
not..wether or not anyone can make a good one.
let's you and I not start up as no one wants to see the thread hijacked by another one of our "love fests", its way too long already.

Worm

Liturgist
Sheriff05 said:
taks said:
Sheriff05 said:

taks

I was generalizing in lieu of his stupid comments not refering to anything specific.
he seems quite optimistic about BS despite the odds being way stacked against it.
Regardless, my opinion is there shouldn't be another fallout game, period.
not..wether or not anyone can make a good one.
let's you and I not start up as no one wants to see the thread hijacked by another one of our "love fests", its way too long already.
What odds? The games it previously made not being bad attempts at Fallout (ala Trioka)?

taks

Liturgist
c'mon now, i wasn't being ignorant or anything... just making a note.

i disagree with the no FO3 thing, however, but i'm pretty certain bethsoft doesn't have the style i want in a crpg. the best of arcanum and the best of toee would have made an interesting game for sure...

taks

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Worm said:
Yes, you are right. BethSoft isn't as much people who think and understand what Fallout is as they are robots who produce the same type of game over and over because they lack the intellectual ability to know to make a sequel to a game like the ones that came before it.ideas.
Bethsoft is a business. They would make a similar game not because they can't do anything else, but because they think it would sell better, and they are right. It probably would.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom