Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Betrayer (17th century FPS from Ex-Monolith devs)

Repressed Homosexual
Finally Monolith is back, now this is good news. Seriously, they're nothing but a DC comics factory now, it's really sad. Screw that studio. Seriously, screw them. Maybe we can get stuff like No One Lives Forever, Blood, FEAR and Condemned.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Something like this is fine for the one or two man Kickstarter project but... yeah... no.

Peter

Arcane
If they're going for a stylized look, they have to create their assets with that in mind. As someone said already, looks like a cheap filter thrown on top of a regular-looking game, which makes everything turn into an indistinguishable mess. Looks unplayable.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
But the most important question is still unanswered

Will this game have setting-breaking womyn?
Setting breaking and anacronic npcs, be male or woman is a must in today entertaimnent industry.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
As someone said already, looks like a cheap filter thrown on top of a regular-looking game.

Yeah, they even essentially confirmed it in that pcgamer preview:

Betrayer used to be colorful. “When we turned it off and when we went back to color, we missed the tension. We missed being in that world,” says Larry Paolicelli, CEO and UI designer. “We’d do playtesting, and we’d show people both, and they liked the black and white better, because of that tension, because of that sense of mystery.”

msxyz

Augur
I wish Monolith (or whatever is called these days) would produce a NOLF sequel. If they fear (pun intended :P ) that someone could sue them over the license, they can always change the names, as long as they keep that silly 'Austin Powers' vibe that permeated the NOLF games.

As for this product, the art direction is interesting... I wonder if it will need an uber PC despite being ported on handheld hardware that can hardly compete with the PC GPUs from ten years ago!

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
There will never be a NOLF sequel again because a) nobody knows who owns the rights and nobody cares to put the pieces together again (i.e. legal nightmare) and b) it's quirky setting/themes are not considered relevant and appropriate for the dumbed down, modern day CoD/Hunger Games/Walking Dead/Twilight-spoon fed doom & gloom masses today.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
17th century fuck yeah. I wanna be an indian and scalp some white devils.

How about eating some fellow colonists?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/01/us/jamestown-cannibalism

17th Century is indeed fantastic for a spiritual sequel of FEAR.

I recommend watching Ravenous, very good film about the subject you linked to.

I started watching this couple of weeks back but never finished it. The comedy vibe of it kinda put me off.

Dr Tomo

Learned
I am interested with the title as it does have recognizable names behind the game, so possibly a 50% sale purchase right here. I am curious to know if they lost their touch though at this point or if they can recreate the tension.

FuelBlooded

Scholar
I can't imagine how they can watch a black and white game for that long and develop it. It's not even grayscale!

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
See, this is artsy-fartsy-indie-hipster done right.

Wrong. There is no such thing as artsy-fartsy-indie-hipster shit that's done "right". I would rather stick forks into my eyes that play this crap.

retardation

Learned
I can't imagine how they can watch a black and white game for that long and develop it. It's not even grayscale!
Be warned Codex, I suspect this guy is an implanted sleeper PR agent with a mission to subtly promote Dragon age 3/Mass Effect 4 all EA games among non-believers.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Let's do a little experiment here:

nw_colorywztz.jpg

nw_monoz4byt.jpg

nw_greyjlzaj.jpg

To me, the last picture wins in terms of creepiness. Greyscale + high contrast/brightness is superior to plain mono.

Not because mono is strenuous to the eyes but because it's tiresome and boring to look at. Hopefully Blackpowder reconsiders this during their Alpha testing.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I bought it because fuck yeah card monies and only $13.

The graphics simply fucking suck. They make it hard to make anything out at a distance seeing any kind of proper detail is nigh impossible. It's just not fun to look at, doesn't add to the tension and is just a poor design decision all around. That said, it's amazing how fluid it makes the game. Playing it on maximum on a rig that just barely makes the minimum requirements and constant 60FPS. Even things like the wind blowing through the grass and trees doesn't make the FPS dip, which is surprising seeing as any other game in which something like that happens will make my FPS dip.

The combat is okay. Nothing special. It's still far from done, as there's no projectile drop yet. Shortbows, longbows, pistols and muskets all shoot the same range, but I think this will be patched later seeing as there is a range stat tied to every weapon. It could really have done with melee combat, though.

Other than that, there's not really much to comment on. Can't say anything on the story. Exploration is a bit crap due to the fact that you can't fucking see anything.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Okay, I finished the alpha just now. It's about an hour and a half long. Here's a few random impressions;

• Lacking in challenge overall and I don't really see how they're going to fix it. You roam around the wilderness looking for 'clues' about what happened to the settlement, and the whole place is dotted with enraged Spanish soldiers that resemble zombies a bit too much for comfort. The issue? Unless you take on multiple enemies at once it's impossible to die. Just sneak around and snipe everyone from afar.
  • I'm starting to understand the art style. There are two styles of play, normal world and some kind of supernatural shadow realm. If you ring the bell in the town you enter the shadow realm, which is the exact same place, except the black and white is reversed and instead of Spanish zombies you fight wraiths. Wraiths are a bit more of a challenge as they only spawn when you're in the vicinity, meaning they immediately start chasing you. Once again, though, they're piss easy and you can just kite them without ever taking damage.
  • In the shadow realm there are totems that are corrupted and if you activate them they spawn about 8 wraiths, which you have to kill to remove the corruption. Removing the corruption from the totems unlocks the gate to the next region, which isn't accessible yet in the alpha.
  • Melee enemies kill you in one shot, but go down in two shots from a bow/musket so they rarely reach you. Ranged enemies do a lot less damage, but take more hits to kill. By far the most dangerous situation is when you're being rushed by a melee enemy while fighting ranged, but this only happened once in the entire alpha.
  • You collect coins in the wilderness which you can use to buy new equipment in town. Dying drops your coins, but you can still go fetch it. Dying again before you retrieve your loot loses you that loot.

Overall, I'm not very impressed. It has the possibility to be a good game, but so far it isn't a good game. The entire game consists of finding and collecting brightly marked clues to find out what happened to the fort while shooting piss easy enemies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom