Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Better, than the test site, blander than the past.

Sharpedge

Prophet
So I tried opening this site on a phone, since apparently its appearance is better on a phone. Taluntain I cannot see the number of posts in a thread when I am looking at the index of a page while on a phone.
ApDj3i4.png

These numbers are completely missing. If I am opening a new thread while on a phone, I need to open the thread and then click on the >> arrow to take me to the end, I cannot just select the last page in the thread. Nor can I jump forward or backward pages in increments larger than 1, without editing the URL to do so.

Zariusz

Arbiter
In earlier design after rating posts, your own and other ratings would get a white frame, now this frame is present from the start and it messes with my senses, did i rated this or not? This is an utter decline.

I dont see any real reason for the use of this "updated" design, Twiglard fix makes this shit somewhat bearable but it now looks like some weak imitation of the good old design and it feels like it belongs to some dying, half forgotten forum

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I did some work on the rating list popup -- it's still worse than the old rating display because they're not sorted or grouped. But this should hopefully make it less awful.
  • Rating names are hidden so there's enough room even with lots and lots of ratings. Some ratings like the NPC have absurdly long names and tabs become unusable otherwise. And yes, this makes rating count hidden. :(
  • Clicking on the rating bar will now bring out a list of all ratings. Typical use-case is seeing how brofist/retarded split between party lines (for admins: this can be reverted in sv_contentratings_macros).
  • Individual rows (one per a person who's doing the rating) are now more compact.
  • The "all" tab has special styling applied to it to make it even more compact.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
I think either the link should be removed from the counter leaving it just a number, or two buttons could have a different function, i.e. clicking on the rating could would have you add your own to the post, and clicking on the counter could lead to who else gave the post that rating, just as it does now.
What do I click to test out giving the same rating? Clicking on the rating icon below the post brings up the rating list popup.
The format of page navigation at the top of threads isn't great though, and I think you can collapse the row with page navigation and the row with "jump to new / unwatch" down to a single row. Right now those two rows take up a lot of space.
Done.

Last edited:

just

Liturgist
another minor thing
the post ratings are not sorted by number of ratings
so you have to spend precious seconds scaning trying to find how many people rated the post funny/retarded/informative and so on

extremely important when speedreading the forum and trying to quickly determine if the post is worth reading or not

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
It'd be interesting to try out the rating pop-up activating on a mouse-over. Wasn't it like that at first, or am I imagining things?
This was an intentional change to keep it uniform with the alert button behaviour and across all devices. I explained it in more detail a few (dozen) pages back.

Is it just me or is the new font really shit? Did you change the style or the size? Whatever it is, please go back to the old one, and I'll be mostly okay with the forum's current state.
Pick the Small Font style from the style picker at the bottom of all pages.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What do I click to test out giving the same rating? Clicking on the rating icon below the post brings up the rating list popup.
It was suggested functionality, not the one we currently have.

Right now for n ratings we have 2*n elements with the exact same function, i.e. bringing up the rating list popup. I think it's poor design. Why is every rating button clickable? The old design (lists the non-clickable ratings, has a separate button to view the list of users who rated the post) is a lot more logical in that regard.

I suggested that the functionality could be different, and suggested how it could be made so. It's up to you whether you find the suggestion reasonable. To me, clicking a funny/brofist rating under a funny/solid post to add your vote to the pile would be a usability improvement.
This was an intentional change to keep it uniform with the alert button behaviour and across all devices. I explained it in more detail a few (dozen) pages back.
Fair. I must have missed that. It works fine-ish now, and the uniformity of design has a value of its own.

Any reason for the "
Brofist
Brofist" being two separate buttons when Quote/Reply aren't? (The "Quote" has a "\f067" symbol applied before the text)

Last edited:

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Also, change the "Brofist" text back to "Rate"?

How about getting rid of
button.png
as a button and replacing the brofist with it? It's about as useless as the donut but it could still serve a purpose, especially if double-clicking on the button didn't automatically rate the post with its icon, currently the brofist. Maybe Zizka could make a cleaner version of that, if needs be.
If the brofist icon was replaced, it would have to be with a version stylistically similar to the other two icons. The brofist icon quite incidentally fits the bill. The naming should still be changed to Rate though.

Hello ladies and gentlemen. Want to see a little trick?

CSS:
    section.message-user {
      display: flex;
      flex-flow: column;
    }
    div.message-avatar {
      order: 2;
      margin-top: 8px;
    }
    div.message-userDetails {
      order: 1;
    }
    div.message-userExtras {
      order: 3;
    }
    span.message-avatar-online {
      display: none;
    }

2105e9ad77740907608eb1531e7c8257.png
That looks like crap, sorry.

Should there be a "@" included before tagged usernames, Shitter-style? Right now it's <b>User</b>, it can be <b>@User</b>.
I saw the option and considered turning it back on, but then practically nobody does manual links on usernames. So when you see a link on a username, it's obvious that it came from a mention. Hence, the @ is really unnecessary. So I left it as is now.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
So I tried opening this site on a phone, since apparently its appearance is better on a phone. Taluntain I cannot see the number of posts in a thread when I am looking at the index of a page while on a phone.
ApDj3i4.png

These numbers are completely missing. If I am opening a new thread while on a phone, I need to open the thread and then click on the >> arrow to take me to the end, I cannot just select the last page in the thread. Nor can I jump forward or backward pages in increments larger than 1, without editing the URL to do so.
You need to page Dr. Twiglard on that.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Any reason for the "
Brofist
Brofist" being two separate buttons when Quote/Reply aren't? (The "Quote" has a "\f067" symbol applied before the text)
The other two are XF core, the post ratings one is added by an addon. Possibly edited a bit differently by Twiglard as well. So it's just a matter of getting the rating one in line with the quote and reply.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
you can collapse the row with page navigation and the row with "jump to new / unwatch" down to a single row
Done. It should also have a more appropriate top margin.
Instead of "<< < Prev X of Y Next > >>" you could just do "<< < X of Y > >>"
Done...
"Unwatch / Watch" can be replaced with the Eyeball icon
I'm not sure if this is a good idea.
I cannot see the number of posts in a thread when I am looking at the index of a page while on a phone
Done -- added more margin and increased opacity to 90% from 80%. Is this enough?
Page numbers, or at least, last page number of a thread should be displayed in mobile forum view.
Done.

S.torch

Arbiter
The new RPG Codex is slowly looking better. Nice job bros.

Will you add banners? It's a retro thing too. :M

agris

Arcane
Patron
you can collapse the row with page navigation and the row with "jump to new / unwatch" down to a single row
Done. It should also have a more appropriate top margin.

Top looks better know, but you've done something to the user pane. The avatar being centered looks quite strange, and I think you've shrunk it as well. The older (as in 5 hours ago) method of displaying user info in narrow mobile was better.

codex.jpg

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Hello ladies and gentlemen. Want to see a little trick?

CSS:
    section.message-user {
      display: flex;
      flex-flow: column;
    }
    div.message-avatar {
      order: 2;
      margin-top: 8px;
    }
    div.message-userDetails {
      order: 1;
    }
    div.message-userExtras {
      order: 3;
    }
    span.message-avatar-online {
      display: none;
    }

2105e9ad77740907608eb1531e7c8257.png
That looks like crap, sorry.
What we had for a decade or more looks like crap to you? I think it looks better.

Also, the avatars are displayed incorrectly on mobile now, they used to be all the way on the left.

One minor nitpick in the editor: For some reason, pressing backspace within a text you write removes the empty line above that paragaph.

The "staff member" badge also needs the margins above and below adjusted so there is even space above and below it.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Top looks better know, but you've done something to the user pane. The avatar being centered looks quite strange, and I think you've shrunk it as well.
This was fallout from putting the avatar below the username. It should now only apply to the wide layout.

Also I removed more padding below the avatar and username on the narrow layout.
One minor nitpick in the editor: For some reason, pressing backspace within a text you write removes the empty line above that paragaph.
The editor isn't easily moddable.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I second Lady Error's autism. The old left-justified name/snippet/role/avatar looks better than what we have now. But what we have now (info above the avatar) is also better than what we had yesterday (info below the avatar).

edit: the margin on the NEW box needs to be bumped up a bit so that the bottom black-line of the box falls along the same invisible line that the other buttons/info in the post header are aligned with.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Another minor autism nitpick: The left and right padding margin inside the box of given ratings should be the same on both sides. Right now there is a much larger margin on the right of the ratings inside the given ratings box.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Yes, it definitely looks worse now.
What he is proposing is not what we have now, but what we had before: usernames aligned to the left instead of being centered.
Usernames are now easier to see, since the center of the avatar is a part the eyes fixate upon.
It is better now, but I think it was easier to scan usernames when everything was aligned to the left and you always had the start of the name appearing in the same place.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The "online now" green icon looks better on the right than on the center, but it would be even better to put it in its rightful place: STRAIGHT IN THE TRASH.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom