Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BG 2, ToB Appreciation Thread

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Marcelo21 said:
I gave up after a while and just cheated to see the ending.

You should not admit defeat so willingly. Try again.

Summon moar planetars.

I thought you could only have one at a time? Still I was just tired by the time I got there the previous fights had really worn me out (specially demogorgon and abazigal). They were very fun and I was really satisfied after beating them but by the time I got to the final battle all I wanted was to see the end.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Shit, I should pick BG2 up again some time. I started a playthrough of it about a year ago, got to about the end of chapter 2. I should finish it and move on to ToB, which I never tried. BG2's a pretty weird game, it's amazing how fun it is in comparison to the first one, and just how fun it is overall, despite being rather anemic in everything but dungeons and combat. It's just plain fun I guess.

Black

Arcane
Marcelo21 said:
Yes but I know there are people here who like the game (as some have already posted here). And we're not using walls of text to defend the game we're saying what we like about. Now go derail other threads.
How sweet, putting "appreciation" in a thread's name makes it immune to criticism now?

Carceri

Arcane
Black said:
Why is that people need walls of text when they try to explain why bg is "good"?

Don't know about anyone else but I am just interested to know what actual RPG Black likes so I can go play a brilliant RPG
Try Fallout and Arcanum first.

I started playing Bg2 a while back and I ended up installing Fallout 1. Give me five!

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
fastpunk said:
Shit, I should pick BG2 up again some time. I started a playthrough of it about a year ago, got to about the end of chapter 2. I should finish it and move on to ToB, which I never tried. BG2's a pretty weird game, it's amazing how fun it is in comparison to the first one, and just how fun it is overall, despite being rather anemic in everything but dungeons and combat. It's just plain fun I guess.

Indeed It's quite hard to leave Chapter 2. You just gotta man up and hulk out.

Dark Matter

Prophet
Lesifoere said:
Good fucking god, what exploration? Wandering through 3463636 empty filler areas at the speed of a snail to discover maybe one single NPC and a few packs of gibberlings/spiders?
Bullshit. Every wilderness area in BG1 has at least 3-4 points of interest.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Black said:
Marcelo21 said:
Yes but I know there are people here who like the game (as some have already posted here). And we're not using walls of text to defend the game we're saying what we like about. Now go derail other threads.
How sweet, putting "appreciation" in a thread's name makes it immune to criticism now?

Like Mighty Mouse said you can go make a thread to discuss or criticize it. Why do you feel the need to state your dislike about the game? Do you want to show us how stupid we are for playing and enjoying a game with so many glaring flaws? Tha horror! Did Bg2 steal your baby? What are you trying to prove other than the fact that you're an anal imbecile?

Texas Red

Whiner
In ToB you suddenly have bandit the humans of the same epic level as you, wielding +5 swords that can be bought everywhere for a small fortune which you can find in a barrel near the same shopkeeper.

How the heck are epic levels handled in tabletop? I assume the next step would be some plane. It just doesn't work in the Sword Coast. Or the character enters the big league of politics and religion but of course Bioware can only really handle the small business.

Dark Individual said:
In ToB you suddenly have bandit the humans of the same epic level as you, wielding +5 swords that can be bought everywhere for a small fortune which you can find in a barrel near the same shopkeeper.

How the heck are epic levels handled in tabletop? I assume the next step would be some plane. It just doesn't work in the Sword Coast. Or the character enters the big league of politics and religion but of course Bioware can only really handle the small business.

Hence why I prefer lower level D&D (older versions that is. I know little about whatever number it is these days). Later levels require larger character responsibilities like owning castles, fighting armies, Demons, Dragons, etc. If you are still running about in an adventuring band, then things kind of go out of whack.

Come to think of it, Dragons used to be something that made you cringe if you ever came across one in a game. They seem to be middle-of-the-road enemies these days.

Black

Arcane
Mighty Mouse said:
Black said:
Why not? You can create your own BG 2 "criticism" thread and make it immune to appreciation.
And then maybe we should divide the whole Codex, we'd have POSITIVE boards and NEGATIVE boards.
What a brilliant idea!

(your suggestion, that is)
Awww, for a second I thought you were talking about your personality.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Black said:
And then maybe we should divide the whole Codex, we'd have POSITIVE boards and NEGATIVE boards.
What a brilliant idea!

Chances are, something you like very much rules. Why? Because this is Awesome 'Dex.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Marcelo21 said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Marcelo21 said:

Summon moar planetars.

I thought you could only have one at a time? Still I was just tired by the time I got there the previous fights had really worn me out (specially demogorgon and abazigal). They were very fun and I was really satisfied after beating them but by the time I got to the final battle all I wanted was to see the end.

No, you can have up to 5 summons at a time - but creatures summoned by Projected Images or Simulacrums don't count towards this limit. That means as long as your Mages have plenty Project Image and Simulacrum memorized you can use the same strategy as Melissan. She drowns you in Bhaalspawns and Demons - you drown them in Planetars, your celestial army. That will teach them.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Marcelo21 said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Marcelo21 said:

Summon moar planetars.

No, you can have up to 5 summons at a time - but creatures summoned by Projected Images or Simulacrums don't count towards this limit. That means as long as your Mages have plenty Project Image and Simulacrum memorized you can use the same strategy as Melissan. She drowns you in Bhaalspawns and Demons - you drown them in Planetars, your celestial army. That will teach them.

Nah I mean one planetar not summons in general, at least that's the message I got.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I think Baldurs Gate 2 and ToB are the best conversions of high fantasy PnP campaigns into a computer game to date, with all the cheese and munchkinism that goes along with. I still play them every other year or so. I can particularly remember fighting Yaga-Shuras army and how awesome it felt wading through high level enemies like they were nothing. It's the only encounter in any game I can think of that actually felt like I was fighting an entire army.

Oh and the ascension mod is just awesome. Yaga-Shura in the mellissan fight was pretty bugged though, so I had to cheese him to death with harm.

Sander

Educated
Blackadder said:
Hence why I prefer lower level D&D (older versions that is. I know little about whatever number it is these days). Later levels require larger character responsibilities like owning castles, fighting armies, Demons, Dragons, etc. If you are still running about in an adventuring band, then things kind of go out of whack.

Come to think of it, Dragons used to be something that made you cringe if you ever came across one in a game. They seem to be middle-of-the-road enemies these days.
Eh, that's just a consequence of Bioware running into the problem of wanting to make more content, but getting the players to a level where nothing is a challenge anymore.

So dragons become commonplace, you get shit like Kangaxx and the Ascension enemies, and random bandits walking around with +5 longswords.

And whatever you say of Baldur's Gate 2, I think it was a well-made, quality, fun game. Yes, it lacked a lot of things that make truly great RPGs great, no it didn't have any real choices and consequences, yes every big encounter was simply another combat dungeon.

But it was still fun. And the party interactions were very well done, and actual choices & consequences were present there.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I love that game a lot. In fact, BG2 and MM6 are my fondest solo gaming memories. By solo I mean playing alone, not playing a solo character.
They might not be the best games I know, but they gave me the most fun.

High moments I remember in BG2 are :

- Fikraag.
- Kangaxx.
- The twisted rune.
- Both beholder lairs.
- Using the wish spell.
- Party members temporary leaving to pursue their own agenda.
- The "skinned cadavers" murder enquiry.
- Night encounters with vampires.
- Jan Jansen.

ToB was not as good, just like everyone says. I didn't even like WK that much. It felt too much like a mismatched patchwork of things that are supposedly cool. The "teleporters + wild or no magic + demons" area was cool though.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Black said:
Why is that people need walls of text when they try to explain why bg is "good"?

Don't know about anyone else but I am just interested to know what actual RPG Black likes so I can go play a brilliant RPG
Try Fallout and Arcanum first.

You complain about shitty combat and then mention Arcanum? :lol:

:tearoffail:

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Marcelo21 said:
Nah I mean one planetar not summons in general, at least that's the message I got.

Do you have a mod that causes this? Planetars normally are treated as summons. I never had problems summoning a small army of Devas and Planetars.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Do you have a mod that causes this? Planetars normally are treated as summons. I never had problems summoning a small army of Devas and Planetars.

You sure it's not the other way around ? Don't YOU have a mod ? I'm pretty sure the vanilla game won't let you summon multiple planetars/devas.

Sander

Educated
Lonely Vazdru said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:

You sure it's not the other way around ? Don't YOU have a mod ? I'm pretty sure the vanilla game won't let you summon multiple planetars/devas.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're only allowed to have one of them summoned at a time. Limitation put in because otherwise it would be *too* powerful. Hah.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom