Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioshock demo is out

obediah

Erudite
DarkUnderlord said:
  • If we wanted to make a BioShock-lite, we could have done that; an action shooter set in the BioShock universe. I think we've all heard that tune before. And if the publisher is paying the bills from day one, and they have a substantial financial investment, it's only natural to assume they'd want to drive the product in a direction they view will be most profitable. And to make that determination, the marketing department generally becomes heavily involved early on in the design process. While that works great for an existing franchise, such as Tribes and SWAT (where Sierra brought tremendous knowledge of those brands to the table), the design goals of BioShock aren't necessarily something your average marketing person will jump at. Until Grand Theft Auto came along and proved such games could be financially successful, you couldn't even discuss terms like "emergence" and "open-ended." You had to sneak them in between making AVIs featuring hot chicks and bullet-time.

That's changing now. Gamers clearly get these design principles, and that's why the reaction to the announcement of BioShock was so broad. People want to play that type of game. They crave innovation. And that's what Irrational is committed to delivering.
Wait, that's not more developer hype falling on its face again is it?

Yes, and no. It's a quote from 2004 before Bioshock had a developer (EDIT- err publisher), when irrational thought they had beaten the system. TakeTwo bailed them out of their money hole in 2005, since then they have been hammering home that Bioshock is a FPS first and foremost. In the age of Oblivion, Spore, and Molyneaux, a single. 3 year old over-reaching announcement that has been adjusted many times over the past 2 years does not a hype-machine make. The quotation does explain why we are let down by the game, and illuminates the force publisher money exerts, but isn't particularly damning of irrational.

A better example would have been the continuing disney-fication of the little sisters. There is a lot of info to dig up on that slide, as it went on much longer - there is even a significant difference between the trailer and demo.

sabishii

Arbiter
Dark Matter said:
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
made said:
Some water conducts electricity, some doesn't. A glass tube surrounded by the ocean collapses and water masses starts pouring in on you from all sides creating a false sense of danger, until you realise that you can stand there indefinitely because the water level doesn't rise at all.

Wow. After all the hype about how important water in such a scenario is, and how much they have worked on making it cool this is really a huge dissapointment.
They most likely meant that they worked hard on making it look cool, as opposed to making it have a significant impact on the gameplay(they'll probably be a few water related puzzles at best, like lowering water pressure so some door can be opened or something generic and boring like that)
WATER EROSION

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
More proof that different playstyles and options in Bioshock are just LARPing

There was something I read recently that led me to believe Ken Levine's idea of role playing is the same as Moroneux, Roleplaying is what weapon you use.

I hate this kind of "I can beat the game easily without ever using one of my awesome powers but I do it nevertheless because its sooooo creative and sooo much fun" design.

That's what I was saying, what's the point of all the "deep" varied ways of killing things, if at the end a simpler less button mashing way produces the same results.

"Oooh look I can set someone on fire so they will run to water and put themselves out and I can zap the water and kill them!" Or you can just zap them and club them with the wrench and save yourself the hassle.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Hilarious. Last I checked, I wasn't the one telling everyone they might be right but then whinging about them giving their opinion anyway.

Context for the win. I said they might be right about the doors, not the bathysphere. 2 seperate issues.

Summary: Gee-whillickers, how can these people complain? Oh wait, they may be right though. I don't know!

See above. I was talking about the "just jumping the in the bathysphere" concept, not the doors. 2 seperate issues. A gameplay design flaw doesn't equal an illogical story premise.

Until Grand Theft Auto came along and proved such games could be financially successful, you couldn't even discuss terms like "emergence" and "open-ended."

It seems like he is talking about gameplay not the initial story premise. And we've yet to see if the doors continue to slam shut on you past the beginning area.

As I said, not meant to be your average FPS. If that's all you're expecting, good for you.

It can be the single greatest FPS ever to exist and still include the basic "you're a man of action who takes risks and explores the unknown" premise. The one doesn't preclude the other, nor does it make for an illogical story.

Your comment about self-fulfilling expectations is simply wrong though. People wanted - expected - this to be better than just an average FPS.

Really? I've browsed Codex Bioware threads since before the demo came out, at a rough guesstimate I'd say less than half seemed even close to positive. Positivity for mainstream games is pretty rare in these here parts.

It would seem all you expected was a game where you could electrocute the same monster type over and over again.

If that is the impression you have then you have ignored most of what I have said.

Gwendo

Augur
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
More proof that different playstyles and options in Bioshock are just LARPing:

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=45330&mode=thread&order=0 said:
If Bioshock has one notable flaw, it lies in the game's difficulty level, or lack thereof. On the normal difficulty level, it's just a bit too easy. It is still fun, but once you start getting a solid number of plasmids, you can tear through every Splicer in your way as if they were nothing. By the end of the game, I was using the default wrench on every enemy, not because I needed to save ammo, but because my plasmids made the Wrench so ridiculously powerful that it would have taken me longer to kill Splicers with a gun. I was rarely using many of the plasmids or alternate weapon types available to me — only the wrench, Electro Bolt and the occasional grenade and armor-piercing bullets for the Big Daddies. A game being easy isn't a tremendous flaw, but considering the wide variety of options available to you in defeat foes, it's rather wearisome that the straightforward smash-and-grab technique is the most effective. The game does offer a hard mode, however, for those gamers eager to up the ante a bit, but the differences between the modes are not quite enough to give experienced players a much harder time, although it does encourage the use of some of the lesser-used plasmids.

If a mainstream gaming site admits so directly that a game is too easy it must be indeed very bad.
I hate this kind of "I can beat the game easily without ever using one of my awesome powers but I do it nevertheless because its sooooo creative and sooo much fun" design.
What a huge dissapointment.
Of course, the reviewer still gives the game an excellent 9.x score. Funny how the only possiblity to get at least a few titbits of valuable information out of these reviews is to read and interpet them against the author's intention.

Seeing how Ive been looking forward for this game for 2 years, I have learned my lesson.
Hoping for mainstream games to turn out better than "meh, its quite ok but nothing brilliant" is futile.

OH NO! IF I PRESS UP, UP, DOWN, DOWN, LEFT, LEFT, A, B THE GAME SKIPS TO THE ENDING CREDITS! THAT'S LAME! IT'S NOT WORTH MY TIME!

Whatever...

Dogar

Novice
It might not be all that bad, though it is somewhat dissapointing. System Shock 2 had the same problem to an extent, since few of your fancy psychic powers were as effective as the heavy and standard weapons trees. It was also easy, but these factors didn't really bring the game down all that much.

I think it's too early to be mourning the Bioshock's colossal failure just yet.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Gwendo said:
TalesfromtheCrypt said:

If Bioshock has one notable flaw, it lies in the game's difficulty level, or lack thereof. On the normal difficulty level, it's just a bit too easy. It is still fun, but once you start getting a solid number of plasmids, you can tear through every Splicer in your way as if they were nothing. By the end of the game, I was using the default wrench on every enemy, not because I needed to save ammo, but because my plasmids made the Wrench so ridiculously powerful that it would have taken me longer to kill Splicers with a gun. I was rarely using many of the plasmids or alternate weapon types available to me — only the wrench, Electro Bolt and the occasional grenade and armor-piercing bullets for the Big Daddies. A game being easy isn't a tremendous flaw, but considering the wide variety of options available to you in defeat foes, it's rather wearisome that the straightforward smash-and-grab technique is the most effective. The game does offer a hard mode, however, for those gamers eager to up the ante a bit, but the differences between the modes are not quite enough to give experienced players a much harder time, although it does encourage the use of some of the lesser-used plasmids.

If a mainstream gaming site admits so directly that a game is too easy it must be indeed very bad.
Of course, the reviewer still gives the game an excellent 9.x score. Funny how the only possiblity to get at least a few titbits of valuable information out of these reviews is to read and interpet them against the author's intention.

Seeing how Ive been looking forward for this game for 2 years, I have learned my lesson.
Hoping for mainstream games to turn out better than "meh, its quite ok but nothing brilliant" is futile.

OH NO! IF I PRESS UP, UP, DOWN, DOWN, LEFT, LEFT, A, B THE GAME SKIPS TO THE ENDING CREDITS! THAT'S LAME! IT'S NOT WORTH MY TIME!

Whatever...

I'm having a hard time understanding what youre trying to say. Is UP UP DOWN... some kind of cheat code?
Yes clearly the existance of a cheatcode which lets you skip the game (ergo: NOT PLAY IT) is the same as having unchallenging gameplay which requires only using one standart option to win, allowing you to forget about all the other fancy extra stuff if you're not into LARPing.

Have we really reached such lows? What's next, will you tell me I shouldn't built uberunit xy in some RTS if I want to have varied and challenging gameplay. And that it's my own fault if I do?

Shannow

Waster of Time
Naked Ninja said:
Your comment about self-fulfilling expectations is simply wrong though. People wanted - expected - this to be better than just an average FPS.

Really? I've browsed Codex Bioware threads since before the demo came out, at a rough guesstimate I'd say less than half seemed even close to positive. Positivity for mainstream games is pretty rare in these here parts.
As VD would say: Can you prove with links that the Codex always expected bad things from Bioshock?
IIRC the concept of Bioshock was first received quite well. The closer it got to release and the more information came about the game and how the concept was changed, the less positive it was receive by the Codex. So, you might have browsed before the demo came out, but after enough information was given that only a fool would think Bioshock would be anything resembling an RPG.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't think anyone here was expecting an RPG.
Many people (including me) expected a genuine, not dumbed-down SS 2 succesor (SS 2 is no RPG goddamn it), which seemed to be well on track before the inevitable console announcment and 2K Games involvement.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
but after enough information was given that only a fool would think Bioshock would be anything resembling an RPG.

...wait..."after enough information"? You mean you initially thought this would be an RPG? Why? SS2 wasn't. I thoroughly enjoyed SS2, but it was a shooter with some vague RPG elements, great atmosphere and a decent storyline. Hmmmm, sounds exactly like what I'm expecting from Bioshock.

aries202

Erudite
After a somewhat hefty, and at times painfull, battle with gamespot's download manager, I finally succeded downloading the demo - with the use of Fileplanet's download manager ;) I installed the demo and it went fine. I was pleasantly surprised to see that there IS an option to turn OFF the quest arrow. The handholdning can then be avoided. After the cutscene in the plane, I found myself in the water searching for higher grounds. Sadly I couldn't fnd it and a my dizziness kicked in as well.
[I get motion sickness easily when playing FPS games, as some of you may now].

Tomorrow, however, I shall exact my revenge...

Gwendo

Augur
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
Gwendo said:
TalesfromtheCrypt said:

Whatever...

I'm having a hard time understanding what youre trying to say. Is UP UP DOWN... some kind of cheat code?
Yes clearly the existance of a cheatcode which lets you skip the game (ergo: NOT PLAY IT) is the same as having unchallenging gameplay which requires only using one standart option to win, allowing you to forget about all the other fancy extra stuff if you're not into LARPing.

Have we really reached such lows? What's next, will you tell me I shouldn't built uberunit xy in some RTS if I want to have varied and challenging gameplay. And that it's my own fault if I do?

Actually, yes. You just remain there, passive behind the computer, waiting to be spoonfed. Just because you can cheat, it doesn't mean you have to. If you like to use a more stategic aproach, then use your strategy skills, don't just go and smash everything because... The game allows it. I'm not talking about LARPing, but you're on the other extreme.

Gwendo

Augur
Monolith said:
Wow. So playing a game like it's supposed to be played is an extreme?

The game can be played in more than one way. Just don't stick with only one way, speacially if you don't like that way. It's common sense, really.

Gwendo

Augur
Monolith said:
Alright. Next time I play through Oblivion I'll use a blindfold.

Only if you want to roleplay a blindman and you're moaning about Oblivion's graphics forcing you to view them. I guess you would demand that Oblivion should just be a blackscreen, so you could play the blind knight in armor.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
cutterjohn said:
SO have any of you brave alpha testers gotten your sticky little mitts on actual copy yet?

Actually, I'm currently caught in the Steam debacle.

It was supposed to go live at 2pm MDT, but it wasn't available for almost an hour later than that. Then after decrypting my pre-load (like it was written in Navajo, no less) it started to download from 83%. I am currently an hour past downloading (and at 84% now) and now the servers are too busy for me to download my game.

HUZZAH

cutterjohn

Cipher
Well, don't feel bad, as I'd strongly suspect that even retail boxed copies are likely to be Steam activated, which usually means getting that same download along with 4 or 5 million other people...

EDIT:
hmmm... but give us an update after getting through a chunk beyond the demo area... (I;d expect the game to be fairly stable as they also released it on a console, even if all of the consoles can handle patches now, most console mfgs still frown on them(for good reason).)

Pegultagol

Erudite
I guess it is late for demo impressions, but I found the demo to be quite representative of what the rest of the game will be like, with what I can gather from the reviews cropping around the net. My middling computer (3500+, 7900 GTO, 2GB DDR400 RAM) could actually run the game at 1680 x 1050, with the framerates being quite stable until a big fight in the end where it finally dropped to single digits. The only technical problem was audio clipping with static on some parts.

The gunplay aspect of the game is actually quite decent; the guns feel powerful and the ammo was provided in constant stream from the dropped weapons or those scattered about. I am not sure, but it seems that you will never have to worry too much about conservation of the resources, although your play styles may prove otherwise. Guns sounded powerful enough and quite satisfying to use.

I am still confused about ADAM and EVE. I know EVE is a substitute for mana to power up your plasmid powers, but what is ADAM? I will have to check the manual.

The plot that serves as an introductory tutorial sequence features a guy who is in constant contact with you surprisingly enough via radio, which seems rather implausible due to the closed cavernous nature of the environs. I could swear that he was just a few steps behind me watching my every move and coordinating my next objectives from some safe vantage point. This is where I become rather suspicious of the whole point of one supposedly helpful guy trying to assist you in navigating the place; he seems more like a nefarious character to me, which would make the plot rather pointless and predictable. Also strange is how the main character just looks at his first syringe and proceeds to stab it right into his veins; I don't recall Atlas compelling him to do so, or I just missed his instructions.

Graphics are very nice, what with water seemingly showing some fluid mechanics that really do not serve its purpose other than visual candy. The lightning plasmid is wonderful to behold in action, what with the discharged remnants casting blue hue on the surrounding environments. However, it seems the electrocution property of water does not apply to you as it seems you can just go into water regardless of the discharged electro volt. The minigame is kinda silly but has a subtext, I wonder if they could replace the game with a nice relaxing game of Sudoku as the time seems to stop while you are trying to hack.

Also you do not seem to be able to lean around corners, which is a bummer. The splicers do give an usual fright as they seem to respawn (another bummer), and has different mannerisms depending on the weapons they carry, which is how they seems to be classified as well. They all do rush to attack, even the ones with ranged weapons. It is funny that they shout all different nonsensical things, and how they often wade into water to just stopping short of basically screaming 'Gee, wouldn't it be nice if we had some lighting in here?' I know this is the tutorial level but still. The tommy gun provides you with an alternative option to blow them all away, however. I wish I could have diplomatic options so I can at least get to know their plight a bit more. Oh well.

The more impressive are the flying drones, which managed to track me into the bathroom followed by the hacked one engaged in a fierce firefight. Scripted sequences are there for you to soak in the environment and get a bearing on what you are up against. They provide some cinematic change of pace and gives the most fright since it is where the most spectacular set pieces will trigger upon which you really have no chance to react. One such sequence involves the introduction of Bid Daddy where I was basically forced to withhold my gun upon admonition by Atlas.

Scary games like Bioshock is certainly not my cup of tea. I was one of those players who could not go up the ladder in the FEAR demo. Bioshock does not seem to be dependent so much on jumpy scares as it gives you a foreboding sense of tension that does not let up. I wish if there could be some levels where it is actually over the sea level to give you some different setting, or it may be just the game having its intended effect on me.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That actually sounds nice. Scary foreboding tension? Neat.

However, since the demo is really short... there's not much to say yet. When's the release?

Grifman

Liturgist
bylam said:
If you'd played the demo you'd understand that the three scenarios that you just gave don't apply.
The plane crashes and there is a lighthouse nearby. The player is in no danger of dying and no immediate sense of threat. You swim to the lighthouse and inside you find a bathysphere with a lever inside. Why would you pull that lever?

Maybe if the player had spent three weeks hanging around the lighthouse waiting for rescue then yes, I would understand the logic in taking the available option of the bathysphere.

But please, the plane just crashed, it's a fucking working lighthouse. Anyone with a half a brain knows that things such as that require maintenaince e.t.c..

Anyone with half a brain would check the door of the lighthouse after they walked in and heard it close on them and reaiize that the door's locked, as I did. And hence they have 4 days until they die from lack of water. You want to take the bet that the lighthouse maintenance crew shows up before then?

Perhaps a little less snark and a lot more humility would help :)

cardtrick

Arbiter
Rohit_N said:
Jasede said:
That actually sounds nice. Scary foreboding tension? Neat.

However, since the demo is really short... there's not much to say yet. When's the release?
August 24.

If this is a joke, I don't get it. I thought the game was released today?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom