Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioshock demo is out

Castanova

Prophet
Spartans never retreat! Spartans never surrender! :evil:

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Fuck yes.

Been browsing some of the media again, the one scene shows a before/after picture of a woman as pretty then ugly due to mutation, and scrawled over it in blood "aesthetics are a moral imperative". Delicious.

Mmmm, anyone who designs small touches like that in their game is definately not aiming to dumb down for kiddies, screw what the nitpickers say. I am looking forward to sinking my teeth into this one.

Also, setting stuff on fire then electrocuting them when they run into water. This game will satiate me on many levels :D

Bradylama

Arcane
Castanova said:
Look at yourself. You're whining about the mechanics of using a friggin cigarette item in the game. You're using the word "retarded."

Whining? Nigga please. I'm not the one bitching about how people are dissatisfied with certain gameplay elements. None of which has factored into the conclusion, this non-existant consensus, that the game will suck, but you haven't thought about that.

It couldn't be possible that people are criticizing these elements because even picking nits can contribute to better art. That things like the bathysphere and the auto-injecting of genetic-altering substances may not be the best way to direct a game that was marketed as being open-ended.

Please, I can't wait: name some of your favorite games. This is going to be fun.

One of my favorite games is Half-Life 2. What now, motherfucker?

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
So what you are saying is that a game having a specific, single entry point, the bathysphere, negates open-endedness somehow? How villainous of them, forcing you to go through a single entry point into their underwater city!

It would have been far more worthwhile for them to spend development time fleshing out the friggin lighthouse! Because I know, when I buy a game advertising exploring a decaying underwater setting, the first half an hour I play I will spend up in the lighthouse, LARPing at waiting to be rescued, pretending like I'm reluctant to go down into the depths.

Half Life 2? Was crap in comparison to 1.

Castanova

Prophet
The bathysphere ruins the open-endedness? Get out of town. That's like complaining that North by Northwest is stupid because mistaken identity is a crappy story mechanic. All it does is set the story in motion. What the hell do you want? To run around exploring some lighthouse location that has nothing to do with the game? Were you expecting to get to explore the airport where your plane took off? Why couldn't I fly the plane myself? Why couldn't I fly the plane to Paris and look at the Eiffel Tower? Piece of shit game calling itself "open-ended."

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Naked Ninja said:
So what you are saying is that a game having a specific, single entry point, the bathysphere, negates open-endedness somehow? How villainous of them, forcing you to go through a single entry point into their underwater city!

It would have been far more worthwhile for them to spend development time fleshing out the friggin lighthouse! Because I know, when I buy a game advertising exploring a decaying underwater setting, the first half an hour I play I will spend up in the lighthouse, LARPing at waiting to be rescued, pretending like I'm reluctant to go down into the depths.

Honestly go back and read through my posts and point out the one where I said the game would be crap?

Who the fuck do you think you are, to tell me that I can't think that something could have been done better? I don't like the bathysphere thing. You apparently fucking do. End of discussion.

As for judging a game based on a demo...what the fuck do you think a demo is for?
Honestly.

Castanova

Prophet
As for HL2, I only played a couple hours of it and I barely remember it at all. But I do remember how you could gather HEALTH PACKS! What a ridiculous gameplay mechanic, right? You can get bitten by a giant insect alien, survive, and then heal yourself by walking over a box with a red cross on it. Stoooooopid. And what's with the game allowing you to carry all the guns at once? What am I, a superhuman with 10 arms?

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Who the fuck do you think you are, to tell me that I can't think that something could have been done better? I don't like the bathysphere thing. You apparently fucking do. End of discussion.

You do realise you're posting on the Codex forums right? People telling each other they think their opinions are stupid or invalid is a time honoured tradition.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Castanova said:
Spartans never retreat! Spartans never surrender! :evil:

Or make a lick of sense.

Face it, there are things about the game you love with your little moron heart, but have never played, that are stupid and or suck.

and you can't graphically murder little girls.

The entire game you're indiscriminately "murdering" splicers, humans with one too many genetic mutations messing them up, whats more messed up than a genetic vampireish freak that is made to look like a little girl as a defense mechanism? Stop regurgitating PR lines you've bought hook line and sinker and try some rational thought. Besides child murder should be right up your alley "Spartan", Eugenics and all...

I've never said the game is going to suck, go read your glowing reviews for your affirmation, THIS IS CODEX (Read loudly, with a Scottish brogue)

Castanova

Prophet
When did I ever say anything about loving any single piece of the game? All I've done is question assertions by individuals in this thread that are based on nothing but their own cynicism. I don't love the game. I've never played it. I'm looking forward to giving it a try though.

I'm not buying any PR lines, buddy. In fact, I haven't read ANY previews on this game except for a couple from 1-2 years ago when they first announced it. The only information I have on this game is from back then and stuff I've heard second hand. It looks like it might be a cool game. Will it be? How the fuck should I know?

If I trusted people in this thread, though, I'd say the game is shaping up to be a soulless, shiny, misrepresented, piece of crap!

Bradylama

Arcane
Naked Ninja said:

The whole point of the criticism is to illustrate that the player character has no immediate reason to go down into the bathysphere. Maybe if the entry point sees the player character washing up in a subterranean cave with the bathysphere, and all exits are mysteriously caved in, that would give him more motive. Nobody actually wants to spend weeks waiting for a pretend ship.

Why are you writing off Half-Life 2? :?

Dark Matter

Prophet
Bradylama said:
Naked Ninja said:

The whole point of the criticism is to illustrate that the player character has no immediate reason to go down into the bathysphere. Maybe if the entry point sees the player character washing up in a subterranean cave with the bathysphere, and all exits are mysteriously caved in, that would give him more motive. Nobody actually wants to spend weeks waiting for a pretend ship.
Actually, once he enters the lighthouse, the doors get shut behind him for some reason.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Castanova said:
When did I ever say anything about loving any single piece of the game? All I've done is question assertions by individuals in this thread that are based on nothing but their own cynicism. I don't love the game. I've never played it. I'm looking forward to giving it a try though.

I'm not buying any PR lines, buddy. In fact, I haven't read ANY previews on this game except for a couple from 1-2 years ago when they first announced it. The only information I have on this game is from back then and stuff I've heard second hand. It looks like it might be a cool game. Will it be? How the fuck should I know?

If I trusted people in this thread, though, I'd say the game is shaping up to be a soulless, shiny, misrepresented, piece of crap!

You don't go to the Codex if you want to play a game. You go to the Codex if you are out of money and need reasons not to play a game, and replay your old games instead :)

Zetor

Arcane
The lawl factor of this thread is over 9000!!11eleven
I'm sure that Ken Levine likes kicking puppies, idolizes Oblivion as the best game evar, and burns the Vault Dweller in effigy every year while playing WOW, listening to Spice Girls and mumbling the mantra "Invisible War Is The Best Shooter Ever Created".

Yes, reviews don't mean shit. But neither does a demo of a game like this. Remember System Shock 2? It's not like you had much of a choice in the beginning, you had to run (well, you didn't, there was no actual time limit) while the doors closed behind you, getting like 1-2 items every room and getting acquainted to the various features of the game. It's already been established that areas never become closed down (in fact, one of the reviews mentioned 'tedious backtracking' as a negative) and will be available shortly after game start (were you able to go to recreation in SS2 right away?).

It's certainly possible that the game will suck, and if it does, I'll be the first one to relinquish my Super Sekrit Irrational Fan Club membership. But seeing people post stuff like "oh, straight to bargain bin" is somewhat... amusing.

BTW, steam needs to die in a DRM fire. Making non-US players wait 3 extra days for an internet-distributed game? Fuckers.

-- Z.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Dhruin said:
Nope. Just used to enjoy coming here but it's pretty banal these days. Yes, that was a trolling comment. You've created an environment that has attracted every idiot on the 'net that revels in being able to post "Bethesda are cum-soaked faggots that take it up the ass" and now it's largely a competition to see who can bitch the most. That was always a key part of the Codex, of course, but I think the ratio of crap to good criticism and conversation has shifted. You probably disagree - that's fine.

VD does some first class interviews and other stuff but it's a shame something like Nethergate, for example, can't even get a news post. Not that anyone cares, of course - the handful of posters in the NG thread mostly needed someone higher up the food chain to give them an opinion.

Oh hey Dhruin, you sure do glib and supercilious rather well. Lurking here nowadays I see a site that's remained clever, lively, witty, and consistently funnier than pretty much anywhere else around the place. A site which has kept its wryly dissident cynicism and built up a decent community of nice people - the truly unpleasant don't seem to last long at all. Perhaps you ought to share more of your banal-busting pearls of wisdom rather than simply trolling?

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Castanova said:
Deso! (Desho?)

Dezső?

I've no idea what that's even supposed to be, actually.

Anyway, I hoping I'll be able to run the demo on this ancient piece of machinery, to see what's all the fuss about.

Special_Can

Scholar
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/813/813214p1.html

There is art here, despite what many would say isn't possible with games, from Roger Ebert to game designers like Hideo Kojima. But it's in BioShock--it's in the gorgeously realized, watery halls of Rapture. It's in a Little Sister's expression of thanks when you choose to save her, or the utter silence if you harvest instead. It's in the way the characters develop, in the testimonials of the recording boxes you pick up along the way. It's in the way the narrative is structured, and the way it blends so seamlessly with the action. Irrational had a clear vision with this game, something pulled off with remarkable precision in every department. They didn't just deliver something that's fun to play, a criterion so often cited as the benchmark of what makes a game worthwhile. BioShock stands as a monolithic example of the convergence of entertaining gameplay and an irresistibly sinister, engrossing storyline that encompasses a host of multifaceted characters. This is an essential gaming experience.

It reads more like hype then an actual review. The only complaint was that the ending sucked. They gave it a 9.7.

Dhruin

Liturgist
Twinfalls said:

I do glib well because I don't have a lot of time but I accept throwing a few trolling comments is a poor approach. Mea culpa. That said, my motivation is frustration. Wryly dissident cynicism with a nice community? That isn't what I see (not that I ever expected "nice") -- but it isn't my site, so I'll move along.

Special_Can

Scholar
Dhruin said:
Twinfalls said:

I do glib well because I don't have a lot of time but I accept throwing a few trolling comments is a poor approach. Mea culpa. That said, my motivation is frustration. Wryly dissident cynicism with a nice community? That isn't what I see (not that I ever expected "nice") -- but it isn't my site, so I'll move along.

Tough love?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Naked Ninja said:
What he appears to be saying to me, is he's played the demo and the way the game presented various options to him, sucked. It failed to immerse him, it failed to bring him in, it failed to engage him in any meaningful way. Given a demo is meant to portray at least some aspects of the real game, and that previously here at the Codex we've heard the "demo is nothing like the full game!" only to discover that assertion was false (*cough* Lionheart *cough*), he therefore thinks that he has enough reason to believe that the full game will suck, just like the demo.

What you appear to be saying is that you haven't played the demo (or if not you, then whomever else it was that hasn't played it) but refuse to listen to anyone's feedback from the demo and instead choose to believe that when you play the finished product, everything will be awesome, irrespective of what anyone here may say based on the demo.

The real issue here is how indicative the demo is of the actual game and so far, no-one has a legitimate answer to that question beyond either belief based on actual gameplay (eg: demo != real game, it'll all be different, trust us) or hype based on a review some guy wrote (and we all know how highly accurate and full of integrity reviews are these days, which is to say, they're not). If this does turn out to be some super awesome game in comparison to the demo, I'd be surprised based purely on track record of the over-hyped previews and dodgy demo merry-go-round we're currently going through.

Bradylama said:

Why are you writing off Half-Life 2? :?
Seriously, Half-Life 2 sucked. Way too short. No interesting areas. Most of it is the prison without anything interesting happening in there. None of the insane gun battles like in the original.

Zetor said:
Yes, reviews don't mean shit. But neither does a demo of a game like this.
... because making a demo of an FPS is such a hard thing to do? Speaking of Half-Life, I wasn't originally going to buy it because I'd written it off as "another FPS". That changed when I actually played the demo. Sure it was linear but I had guys dropping through ceilings, gun emplacements I could cut sick with, bad guy soldiers out flanking me and hiding behind cover rather than fighting me full on. That pretty much summed up Half-Life in a nutshell.

This demo appears to have doors locking behind you. Why? Why do that in the demo and not in the full-game?

This demo appears to have highly scripted areas. Why? Why do that in the demo and not in the full-game?

... and so on. I dunno, I haven't played it either but given the feedback in this thread from those who have actually played it and the hype overload we appear to be getting, I'm in the camp that says things aren't looking hopeful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom