Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioshock demo is out

Castanova

Prophet
The only reason this "cigarette" shit is being picked on is because the Codex has decided BioShock sucks even before it has come out. If such a cigarette existed in Fallout, you people wouldn't think twice about it.

Hence the point of why I even responded in this thread in the first place: fuck off until someone has played more than the tutorial level.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Castanova said:
The only reason this "cigarette" shit is being picked on is because the Codex has decided BioShock sucks even before it has come out.
Proof?

Pegultagol

Erudite
Bioshock is fart, nothing else or more.

In all seriousness, there is no one here who would not outright detest the game for what it is or what they think it is. And a lot of Codexers' predictions are rather accurate, in their discussions of Oblivion and Gothic 3, I got a fairly good impression of what these respective games will be like and I have no reason to believe otherwise in their general consensus of this game. It is just a Codex brand of tough love.

I assure you there will be more than a few discussion threads after the game is released extolling the virtues of the game and pet peeves as they are all astute gamers whose discussions only end up enriching the game experience. They will also form groups to enjoy the game in co-op mode, share tips, and more. I was actually quite surprised how many people have played the demo so far, letting it be known they own XBOX 360 consoles. I am sure people are just not letting it on that they already have the game on pre-orders.

Special_Can

Scholar
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if they cut out some story to keep the size down(it's already over a GB). I also wonder if the main character already knew about Rapture. Notice his tatoos of a broken chain, and the chain symbols all over the world. Hmmm.

Dhruin said:

Need I point out the Oblivion reviews? Perhaps Half-Life 2's reviews? Halo 2? I'm going to give this game a rent at least, and am more than moderately enthused....but still....it's easily possible this game is just a flashy corridor shooter with a few plug and play upgrades and a hacking minigame.

EDIT: And after reading that Eurogamer article....I have to wonder.....what the fuck? That bloke spends a page and a half basically going on about the amazing graphics, then talks for the other half of the second page about how easy to get into the game is, and how respawn points help people not give up. Ugh....that review actually made me want Bioshock less.....and I was excited. Miserable wretches....

Dhruin

Liturgist
You don't need to point anything out to me - I'm just providing links.

But out of those examples, I thought HL2 was a very good rail shooter, didn't pay any attention to Halo because I don't have a console and think Oblivion probably suits a lot of mainstream gamers pretty well. Not much proved either way.

There certainly seems to be a lot of hyperbole but I haven't played the demo, so I don't know. He actually talks as much about art as just graphics and that's a perfectly reasonable thing. Or is not possible to add more to a game through outstanding art - even help make average gameplay a worthwhile overall experience?

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
All 10/10.

And? Oblivion and Knights of the Old Republic II got high scores with some giving them "Game of the Year" awards. I've never come across a perfect game before. Reviewers that usually give games high marks either don't know how to score or evaulate the game as a whole properly.

sabishii

Arbiter
Dhruin said:
Or is not possible to add more to a game through outstanding art - even help make average gameplay a worthwhile overall experience?
Can't say it doesn't help. But if it has average gameplay then how is it getting a perfect score?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Higher Game said:
Planescape Torment's gameplay sucked. A great story and art direction CAN save a game with bad gameplay.

Yeah but Torment wasn't about combat, and depending on your playing style there was very little of it. It's different when you have to deal with shitty gameplay the entire fucking time.

Dhruin said:
You don't need to point anything out to me - I'm just providing links.

Sorry...I was just under the assumption that you were trying to prove us "whiners" wrong. Forgive me.

But out of those examples, I thought HL2 was a very good rail shooter, didn't pay any attention to Halo because I don't have a console and think Oblivion probably suits a lot of mainstream gamers pretty well. Not much proved either way.

I guess it's a matter of doctrine and belief. For you, high review scores are justified if people like them....for me, I want some actual progress in something other than graphics, not some flavor of the month gameplay or a bunch of hype. For the record, I liked Halo 2, and I'm interested in the third, but it was by no means the "9.9 BEST GAME EVAR!!!!!" the sycophants spat out constantly. It didn't bring anything new to the table.

There certainly seems to be a lot of hyperbole but I haven't played the demo, so I don't know.

Well, it's like a watered down System Shock 2....with shiny graphics from what I've seen. Nothing to hype to the sky. I could be wrong and have a change of heart...but honestly....I've never been wrong when I've been negative. However...on the positive end we have Morrowind, Neverwinter Nights, KOTOR, Jade Empire, Invisible War, Pagan, Ascension and the list goes on.

He actually talks as much about art as just graphics and that's a perfectly reasonable thing.

Not really. He did speak about the art, but I heard a lot more about smoke comes from guns, water ripples, and shadows are ultra-immersive.

Or is not possible to add more to a game through outstanding art - even help make average gameplay a worthwhile overall experience?

Art's nice....but games are for playing. And since I've already seen games with brilliant artistic style and gameplay (I'm looking at you Fallout, Arcanum, and crew), nice art strapped on a pretty average shooter just doesn't wow me anymore. And it certainly does not make a perfect game make.

Planescape Torment's gameplay sucked. A great story and art direction CAN save a game with bad gameplay.

Why is combat the only gameplay? I think the dialogue and exploration were just as much me playing the game as when combat happened. And those were great fun.

Dhruin

Liturgist
Jedi_Learner said:
All 10/10.

And? Oblivion and Knights of the Old Republic II got high scores with some giving them "Game of the Year" awards. I've never come across a perfect game before. Reviewers that usually give games high marks either don't know how to score or evaulate the game as a whole properly.

And I'm just telling you the score they gave. Get it? No a commentary. Not an endorsement. Just a statement.

-----

On the other comments about perfect scores and average gameplay, it's not my score and I don't know if the gameplay is average, perfect or whatever. Levine has been crystal clear for a long time that this is an FPS, so while I personally would really like it to be SS2 turned up 10 notches, I'd be a fool to have not paid at least some attention to the "It's an FPS" message that was played over and over and over. Seriously, how many games have had whole interviews just on the topic that Bioshock is a shooter, not an RPG/FPS, not a hybrid - a shooter?

I have no doubt that T2's marketing had a big hand in choosing that message but it was clear. So if it really is an FPS...well, there you go. Reviewed then as an FPS, maybe it really is that good, especially when taken as a package of gameplay, art, narrative, Eric Brosius' sound etc.

But I don't know - I haven't seen it.

10/10 doesn't have to mean a perfect score. I bet if I read Eurogamer's policy (and I haven't) it doesn't mean "perfect" - it's relative to the time and market.

mathboy

Liturgist
Seriously, how many games have had whole interviews just on the topic that Bioshock is a shooter, not an RPG/FPS, not a hybrid - a shooter?
Probably none. I doubt that the developers of any other game are interested enough in whether Bioshock is just a FPS or not to talk about it during a whole interview.

Bradylama

Arcane
10/10 doesn't have to mean a perfect score. I bet if I read Eurogamer's policy (and I haven't) it doesn't mean "perfect" - it's relative to the time and market.

Not to spark a discussion, but I still don't see how anything more involved than a 5 point scale is really necessary to rate this crap. And I don't mean a .5 scale, either. That crap is infuriating.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
That Gameradar article is the same one that was published in PCgamer. Except that PCgamer gave it 95%. Go figure.

More direct evidence that gaming journalists are full of shit.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
It sounds like a fun shooter with a decent amount of options to go about combat, a well done stroy, and great atmosphere. Whats not to like? Its not an RPG, but it also (at least recently IIRC) didn't pretend to be one. I say, enjoy it for what it is, even if its not an RPG.

Castanova

Prophet
Vault Dweller said:
Castanova said:
The only reason this "cigarette" shit is being picked on is because the Codex has decided BioShock sucks even before it has come out.
Proof?

Have you read the thread? I have to assume you didn't. Also, just on the very off chance you misunderstood me (sorry if this insults your intelligence) but I meant "the Codex" as in the people on the forums, not the Codex as an official entity represented by you and certain other individuals with moderator and article-writing powers.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
RGE said:
Vault Dweller said:
The rat cave demo would have lasted a minute or two. A decent demo, giving you at least 30 min gameplay, would have included Shady Sands and Vault 15, and that would have given you an accurate idea of what the game is like.
Right. Combat = Rat cave, Radscorpion cave and Rat vault? I don't think so. You'd need the Raiders too in order to give an accurate idea of what the game is like. In fact, just skip the rats and go straight to rescuing Tandi (or not).
Actually, the Fallout demo was of Junktown and as I understand it, there was very little combat. So feel free to speculate about it all you like, point is, the Fallout demo got it right. They picked a part of the game that represented what Fallout was and they showed it off. Sure, if the Fallout demo was just of the rat cave, you wouldn't have bought it. But let's face it, if Tim Cain and co had been that dumb, Fallout wouldn't have been worth playing anyway because there simple wouldn't be those other options in the game, anywhere.

You know, just saying.

Dhruin said:
You've created an environment that has attracted every idiot on the 'net that revels in being able to post "Bethesda are cum-soaked faggots that take it up the ass" and now it's largely a competition to see who can bitch the most.
Yup. Seems we've now also attracted every idiot on the 'net who likes to complain about people complaning. It's a funny one, that.

Dhruin said:
Nope. Just used to enjoy coming here but it's pretty banal these days. Yes, that was a trolling comment.
So contribute something else to the discussion rather than just trolling, or whining about the people who are whining or whatever it is you're doing here?

Bradylama

Arcane
Have you read the thread? I have to assume you didn't.

Uh, why do you assume that we think the game sucks? Why don't you assume that people don't like the cigarettes because the way they're handled is retarded?

Castanova

Prophet
It's funny that you're using the word "assume" on me when it's everyone else in this thread that has written off BioShock as if it were a far gone conclusion when it's not even out yet! Citations? The tutorial level, the fact that Irrational was bought out, no inventory, and you can't graphically murder little girls.

Oh, yes, and because cigarettes subtract from your health meter.

Look at yourself. You're whining about the mechanics of using a friggin cigarette item in the game. You're using the word "retarded."

Please, I can't wait: name some of your favorite games. This is going to be fun.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dhruin said:
Reviewed then as an FPS, maybe it really is that good, especially when taken as a package of gameplay, art, narrative, Eric Brosius' sound etc.
So.. how would this work, then? What can and can't I critcise an FPS for? Linearity? Contrieved story? Annoyances of scripted events? Unkillable characters?

So... but what about taking the time and market into account? Maybe a game of today couldn't be compared to a game of 2035, but what about the gameplay we know, and the technology available today?
Is Bioshock then the ultimate FPS based on today's tech? Was Oblivion the perfect RPG, as far as possible at the time?
Or is 10/10 just as meaningless as a gamer's "favourite game of the month"?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom