Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Biotards: what's with this potion cooldown shit?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
http://social.bioware.com/forum/Dragon- ... 753-1.html

Please, please, please tell me this won't be present in the actual game... or will at least be a toggle. Because with the much more frenetic combat having a health potion cooldown that long is... counterproductive to say the least

30 seconds is a long cooldown for a potion when you can be hacked to bits in 10.

EDIT: same goes for the Mage Heal Skill - cooldown is TOO long.

I kind of like it, adds difficulty. I think 30 secs is a little long though, maybe 15-20?

:lol:

What a bunch of pussies. I mean, needing to spam potions in the fucking DEMO?

I'm actually hoping I'll get to make my RPG one day, just to hear these people cry about being limited to a handful of potions/day.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Such an important information that it required another new topic about DA2.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
If I think about it, all my posts are important and should have their own topics.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Admiral jimbob said:
Cooldown in a single-player game is shite.

Drinking your body weight in potions is shite regardless of whether it's a single-player game or not.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Well, Divinity 2 has potion cooldowns too, it's the modern thing to do. Everything needs cooldowns because having cooldowns for everything is very considerate.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Never relied on potions in DA:O. Even on Nightmare.

Basically, potions are a crutch in pretty much any RPG. A way to make up for your mistakes without reloading the game. But if you have to spam potions to survive, you must be doing something really wrong.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Mastermind said:
Admiral jimbob said:

Drinking your body weight in potions is shite regardless of whether it's a single-player game or not.
This is also true. A limit per day (or even encounter) would work well, but cooldown just slows everything the fuck down (as DA's mind-numbingly drawn-out encounters showed) because they can't work out how to balance their system without borrowing MMO design decisions.

Well it doesn't seem like a game where you can avoid damage, thus there better be healing. For comparison let's think of JA2 - you can avoid damage a lot of time and you can always replace mercs (also you can have insurance for them) so you don't need instant heal potions. Here? What can you do to avoid 20 thousand orcs as a melee character? I don't think you can just run by them.

laclongquan

Arcane
What kind of shitty example is that? If the first wave wound one of yours, which is highly probable, you grind your teeth, bandage them and airlift them to hospital and airlift the recovering troopers there back. Death? Mercs are irreplaceable resources in that game. All else can be borne but not death. Retreat rather than let your merc die.

Calem Ravenna

Scholar
Magic healing potions are a shit concept, but as long as bloated hit points and instantly healing magics are the standard they're not that bad.

Johannes

Arcane
laclongquan said:
What kind of shitty example is that? If the first wave wound one of yours, which is highly probable, you grind your teeth, bandage them and airlift them to hospital and airlift the recovering troopers there back. Death? Mercs are irreplaceable resources in that game. All else can be borne but not death. Retreat rather than let your merc die.
Death isn't too big a deal in JA2. If a mercs contract is nearing its end, you don't lose much besides the possible health insurance they have, and tiny bit of morale for everyone. And the few hours it takes to fly in a replacement, but then you don't have to spend time healing.
Of course the possibility to use that specific merc is lost, but nobody's really irreplaceable except your IMP, unless you've burned through half the AIM roster already.

DraQ

Arcane
Mastermind said:
Admiral jimbob said:

This.

Any game with instant health restoratives being available in combat would work better if they worked over time, and were non-stackable.

Even better if it discarded those restoratives altogether and only allowed things like buffing, stabilizing and wound binding (non-instantaneous, of course) with magical/medical intervention being too laborious and involved to be usable on battlefield but essential for keeping all the limbs and not dying of internal damage or infections.

Take Fallout, for example.
Now, remove stimpacks altogether.
:smug:

dragonfk said:
One of the things The Witcher done right.
:love: : x

Raapys

Arcane
Ugh, can't stand cooldowns. But yeah, just drinking one potion after the other is stupid too. I'd rather have it solved by simply making healing potions rare though. Then again, don't really care about this shitty game.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
what did the Witcher right? Raffards healing potions? Removing toxity completely at anytime with White Honey (nigredo for +20% dmg for several hours)?

DraQ

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
what did the Witcher right? Raffards healing potions? Removing toxity completely at anytime with White Honey (nigredo for +20% dmg for several hours)?
Toxicity.

White honey combined with Raffard's was indeed somewhat imba and one of them should get altered, but you still lost any other neat effects you had running.

Black

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Made potions actually powerful and useful.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
biowarerpg.jpg

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Black said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Made potions actually powerful and useful.

Unlike any game before it. :smug:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Maybe I'm just popamole but I don't see a problem with potions. They're fine for action games that are balanced around having them, or like in Fallout where they're basically there for convenience and to make the game a bit easier (and cheating your stats higher to get perks you couldn't get otherwise).

DraQ

Arcane
Xor said:
Maybe I'm just popamole but I don't see a problem with potions. They're fine for action games that are balanced around having them
That's exactly the problem with potions. If you have ability to withstand multiple hits, be it through retardedly high amount of game-y, arbitrary HPs or ability to insta-replenish them at will it removes the importance from individual hits. Instead of fast, lethal combat you're just watching a bar slowly crawl down and tap a hotkey once in a while.
Watching progress bar does not make for interesting combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom