Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Bioware goes episodic

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Volourn said:
O RLY? Name some. I'm sure that's easy siunce there are always exemptions to the rule. And, btw, don't count those who were being released on multiple platforms from the get go.

Breath of Fire IV? Grandia II?

On the other side, Fable sold like gangbusters and they went for more money on the PC.

Checkmate fucker. You lose, good day sir!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
No. You lie. I bet BOF4, and G2 sold well enough to be worthy of a port. Or they were already scheduled for a port. Dumbass.

Counter checkmate.

Game over.

zioburosky13

Educated
Higher Game said:
Damn it. Why can people afford $300 video cards, but won't shell out more than a paltry $50 for a game? This is definitely putting pressure on publishers, who pressure developers, and game quality has clearly declined because of it. Stupid graphics whores.

Or 'Damn why is it so HARD to produce a Sci-fi CRPG with turn-based combat, multiple ending/solution, Lotsa of character customization choice'. Honestly, I'm so sick of magic and elves with mouse button smashing gameplay.

Guess another 'CRPG draught' year for me. :roll:

Voss

Erudite
Face it, the industry is dead (oh theres still a few galvanized corpses shuffling about, but nothing fresh and clean and good and right). Developers have moved on to things that are, at best, hybrids of rpgs and other things.

*shrug*. Learn to adapt or move on. Or suckle at the bitter teat of nostalgia, but accept the fact that no one cares about your dreams of glory days.

MorningStar

Novice
Ivy Mike said:
While I disagree with your comment about games turning into just another commodity, beacause that's what they've always been
Not. Something is a commodity when a big number of retards have it, IMHO. And it wasn't the situation of the PC gaming at all, until recently. (i agree that console games are a commodity.)
I was the only guy of the whole perimeter who got a PC in 1996. And even in 2000 having internet was something only nerds and young bourgeois had.
PC gaming was a "goodie". In 96 it was rare to buy a PC just for gaming. Usually you bought the PC for something else and after then you discover there's some cool games you could play with. Then you get hooked and after that, you do buy PCs for it too.

Today, in 2007, i don't know of any kid in my neighborhood who DON'T have a computer. And most of them have internet and a not-so-secure WiFi box that only asks to get.. hum. Now, PC gaming really is a commodity every stupid kids can do.

Ultima Online is one of the first MMORPGs and even today i know of nothing as advanced. It was released on 1997. No MMORPG replaced it. Game quality in the PC platform was bound to decrease as the people viewed having a PC just like having a TV.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom