Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioware is immortal

ColaWerewolf

Educated
Bioware is dead, it's just that decrepit, old and erectile dysfunctioned management doesn't know it yet. Bioware was holding on because it cornered the thirsty (but not perverted) gamer demographic, especially the girls. But even the girls started getting bored with the unappealing romantic options present in their newer games. They are so bereft of viable options that they're left thirsting after Solas, a backstabbing baldman with minuscule cranium. Now that BG3 popped off, it stole the entirety of the Bioware fanbase overnight. Even the Bioware fangirls don't care about DA4 anymore, they just want more BG3 style content that Bioware can no longer deliver.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Bioware is dead, it's just that decrepit, old and erectile dysfunctioned management doesn't know it yet. Bioware was holding on because it cornered the thirsty (but not perverted) gamer demographic, especially the girls. But even the girls started getting bored with the unappealing romantic options present in their newer games. They are so bereft of viable options that they're left thirsting after Solas, a backstabbing baldman with minuscule cranium. Now that BG3 popped off, it stole the entirety of the Bioware fanbase overnight. Even the Bioware fangirls don't care about DA4 anymore, they just want more BG3 style content that Bioware can no longer deliver.

I think that from EA's point of view, the existence of a fanatical fan base is important. "It's a strong brand," says Joe from accounting, who last played the game when he was twelve.

However, I see the transformation of their fan base differently. In my opinion, what remains is a core of increasingly older women, in their thirties and forties, who will buy any new product. However, it is becoming increasingly difficult for others to remain in core orbit. Therefore, reach od thier audience may seem stronger than it actually is, obscuring real market problems, while still tempting a detached from reality management.

DemonKing

Arcane
Could be that "Bioware" is nowadays just a brand name EA likes to retain for marketing the associated game franchises
Bioware has been poison as a brand name for years now...no one who enjoyed the games they released before they joined EA is looking at their recent titles and thinking - "Cool - a new Bioware game! I'm in!"

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
This thread truly is sexual. I don't know what the fuck is the fascination with this dead meat. Analysing the core demographic, corporate culture, Joe from accounting, women in their late thirties... this is just you wanting to get in, to penetrate the interior, but you can't, so you speculate on the outside. Why? To be sexual, of course. I understand. It is interesting how products become products, and the main considerations about them mirror those of executive and investors. At this point culture is fucking dead, but it thrives on in some undead, formal way. Should we rejoice if the value goes up? Or do we want a kind of shift? We want sex, of course. Bioware games provide this. They provide satisfaction. Until they don't. Curious.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
They haven't released a new game since 2019, which (Anthrax) was a huge flop, preceded by an Ass Defect Androgyny which was a huge flop, preceded by Dragon Fag Cisquisition which was a huge hit with reddit landwhales and trannies/furfags, but a flop with general audiences.

They haven't been even remotely relevant or successful for over a decade, and the only thing they're working on now (with no release date in sight) is Dragon Fag Deadwolf, which is shaping up to be another giant flop on the scale of Androgyny, and the final nail in their coffin.

This isn't exactly revenge, but there is certainly some shadenfreude in seeing them reduced to this state. :smug:

La vie sexuelle

Learned
This thread truly is sexual. I don't know what the fuck is the fascination with this dead meat. Analysing the core demographic, corporate culture, Joe from accounting, women in their late thirties... this is just you wanting to get in, to penetrate the interior, but you can't, so you speculate on the outside. Why? To be sexual, of course. I understand. It is interesting how products become products, and the main considerations about them mirror those of executive and investors. At this point culture is fucking dead, but it thrives on in some undead, formal way. Should we rejoice if the value goes up? Or do we want a kind of shift? We want sex, of course. Bioware games provide this. They provide satisfaction. Until they don't. Curious.

Georges Bataille would like your post.

But yes, you're right about everything.

They haven't released a new game since 2019, which (Anthrax) was a huge flop, preceded by an Ass Defect Androgyny which was a huge flop, preceded by Dragon Fag Cisquisition which was a huge hit with reddit landwhales and trannies/furfags, but a flop with general audiences.

They haven't been even remotely relevant or successful for over a decade, and the only thing they're working on now (with no release date in sight) is Dragon Fag Deadwolf, which is shaping up to be another giant flop on the scale of Androgyny, and the final nail in their coffin.

This isn't exactly revenge, but there is certainly some shadenfreude in seeing them reduced to this state. :smug:

Andromeda was for scalies. The Inquisition was progressive for its time, but not that progressive.

I think you accidentally put a "t" in the title "Bioware is Immoral."

Not everyone who is immoral is immortal. But Bioware is.

Kiste

Augur
Bioware ran their two most popular franchises into the ground (both, DA:I and ME:A were shit games for different reasons) and then bet the house on a half-baked live service cash cow that failed, not only as a game and a service but also as new franchise they could build upon. Time to stick a fucking fork in it.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
didnt know fargo fanboy tag existed
The Codex has a number of underused Brian Fargo images:

brian_fargo_anotherkickstarter.gif
fargo_fanboy.png
vWqQGSr.png

VerSacrum

Educated
That templar Prince Charming guy that's a romance option in Cisquisition has been a girl favourite since Origins. Definitely way above what guys got.

Nightshade

Barely Literate
The way I see how BioWare can prevail, it's all up to Dreadwolf.

I feel like they've got a lot to prove and considering the fact that they changed their course of development for DAD tells me they want to make it well.

Really, it feels like it's "all or nothing". Either DAD is going to be a good game with decent amount of popularity, coverage, and so on, or it's going to be a huge flop and BioWare gets dissolved or closed.

I really want them to make Dreadwolf into a good game, but quite honestly, I feel like they're more likely to botch the job since there's a lot of new faces in the studio, and they also kind of... forgot how to make interesting games, to put it lightly.

I don't think the studio will survive if Dreadwolf turns out to be a flop, but I'd like to be wrong here. I like DA as a series, it's not perfect (to be honest it's quite annoying how many people see Origins as this unsung masterpiece, while for me it's 7.5/10 at best), it's a well done fantasy setting with interesting storylines, and I have some hopes for the new game. But, there's a certain feeling deep inside of me that foretells DAD being a huge flop and disaster.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Will Dreadwolf be a soulslike or a BG3-like? Or wathever is trendy in this moment?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Really, it feels like it's "all or nothing". Either DAD is going to be a good game with decent amount of popularity, coverage, and so on, or it's going to be a huge flop and BioWare gets dissolved or closed.
Or it'll be more woke garbage since AAA developers seem to be enjoying their own self destruction right now. BioWare was one of the first AAA developers to embrace the woke stuff with Mass Effect Andromeda, hire a diverse and mostly talentless crew, and so on. Given how many developers were too stupid to stay out of the Sweet Baby Inc Detected drama on Twitter, I'd say we're in for seeing more of this followed by inevitable closures in the near future. I don't see BioWare being the exception to this rule since they jumped on board to this stuff very early on. That crowd is very much the model of the Principal Skinner meme of "No, it's the kids who are wrong!"

Nightshade

Barely Literate
Will Dreadwolf be a soulslike or a BG3-like? Or wathever is trendy in this moment?
i think they settled on an action RPG but i might be wrong. I do not think they are gonna make a similar game to it since BG3's full release was at the time when BioWare was deep into the development of DAD. If anything, a hypothetical DA5 might be the one that actually attempted taking cues from Larian
Or it'll be more woke garbage since AAA developers seem to be enjoying their own self destruction right now. BioWare was one of the first AAA developers to embrace the woke stuff with Mass Effect Andromeda, hire a diverse and mostly talentless crew, and so on. Given how many developers were too stupid to stay out of the Sweet Baby Inc Detected drama on Twitter, I'd say we're in for seeing more of this followed by inevitable closures in the near future. I don't see BioWare being the exception to this rule since they jumped on board to this stuff very early on. That crowd is very much the model of the Principal Skinner meme of "No, it's the kids who are wrong!"
I have no idea how to respond to this. Twitter is gonna be Twitter, I don't think it's worth it to hang out on that hellsite since there's always drama on it. As far as the 'woke' stuff gets (what kind of criticism is that) I'd think we're way past that era.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I would bet my life DA:D will be complete trash. BioWare hasn't even released a working game since 2014 with DA:I. Their last 2 were complete trainwrecks. That's only on the technical side. They haven't released a half decent game overall since 2009.

BioWare was one of the first AAA developers to embrace the woke stuff with Mass Effect Andromeda
Mass Effect 3 in 2012 changed the sexuality of a companion for muh inclusion. DA:I made such inclusive/woke changes to lore, made sure companions were across all spectrums and the entire theme/dialogue was rife with woke preaching. The shit started well before Andromeda.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Mass Effect 3 in 2012 changed the sexuality of a companion for muh inclusion. DA:I made such inclusive/woke changes to lore, made sure companions were across all spectrums and the entire theme/dialogue was rife with woke preaching. The shit started well before Andromeda.
I stand corrected. Most of what I remember about Mass Effect 3 was the horrible ending thing that they had to later change because of all the backlash. I do remember there being some controversy about Dragon Age: Inquisition though, now that you mention it, but I don't recall any specifics. I do think DA:I was the first game where I remember seeing interview questions asking if you can get your gay on in the game which seemed odd to me at the time. However, the floodgates fully opened with Mass Effect Andromeda because it was highly anticipated and just completely pissed a lot of people off. The interesting thing about Andromeda is that it's popped up recently in discussions with the Stellar Blade thing getting a lot of flak because the protagonist is "too hot" since BioWare took the model that the female character was based on and completely uglied her up. Meanwhile, the male character is pretty close to his real life counterpart.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Most of what I remember about Mass Effect 3 was the horrible ending thing that they had to later change because of all the backlash
To be fair, that's the only example I can think of in ME3 (Kaiden goes from straight to bi), the horrendous story decisions and dumbing down of everything apart from combat overshadows it.

I do remember there being some controversy about Dragon Age: Inquisition though, now that you mention it, but I don't recall any specifics
There's really so much in DA:I it all sort of blends together. The most egregious to me was making the race with very defined gender roles okay with transgenders and moving around, on top of the token fetish companion wanting to fuck a dragon.

However, the floodgates fully opened with Mass Effect Andromeda because it was highly anticipated and just completely pissed a lot of people off. The interesting thing about Andromeda is that it's popped up recently in discussions with the Stellar Blade thing getting a lot of flak because the protagonist is "too hot" since BioWare took the model that the female character was based on and completely uglied her up. Meanwhile, the male character is pretty close to his real life counterpart
Apart from that, is there really anything in ME:A that can be considered woke? I've tried to play that game twice and just couldn't make it past a couple hours max. Yea, wymyns and non whites which others complain about in all top positions if that's what people are referring to? The dialogue physically hurt me + boring game so I couldn't focus on anything other than that. I find it hard to believe it can be more than DA:I, considering almost every part of that game includes preaching/themes of woke issues.

just

Liturgist
i cant wait to raise a toast with my codex compatriots in 2025 when bioware has become defunct

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom