Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioware strikes back: Revenge of the shit

corvus

Arcane
I bet you guys there are people out there lauding Mr. Karpshsynians' effort and being grateful that awful uncanon turd KoTOR 2 is retconned. :smug:

corvus

Arcane
All I see are disinterested posters bro, and a few who just don't like the Exile or Revan. I'm waiting for more user reviews to pop up on like Amazon saying how much they thought Obsidian ruined the setting and how they can't wait for TOR to come out and they're gonna be a Sith warrior and their guild is going to like totally hunt down all the jedi on their server and oh man Best Thread Ever material :bounce:

Wyrmlord

Arcane
You guys really care?

Stephen King often talks about how he doesn't mind movie adaptations of his novels changing everything, because it has zero effect on the novel.

Besides, do you know how retarded it looks to send hate mail, Captain Shrek? Especially over officially sponsored fan fiction? I mean, we laugh at the petty retards across the internet who sent hate mail to Roger Ebert for saying games are not art, but who knew such juvenile phillistine retards came from our own "elite" forums?

Stinger

Arcane
The problem is that this retconning piece of garbage is now the canon of Star Wars. This, along with the retcon that Kreia isn't a morally ambiguous sith lord who has become disillusioned with the Force and was instead simply corrupted by ancient sith scrolls and went insane.

This kind of crap is shitting all over one of the most interesting entries in the Star Wars EU. It's not an adaptation like the adaptations of King's novels, it's a sequel that flips the bird to tell its own shitty story instead.

Also, after all those years of waiting, this is the explanation we get for what happened when Revan and the Exile went to the Outer Rim to fight the Sith.

I wasn't particularly interested in the conclusion to that plot (especially knowing that Obsidian wouldn't have been involved) and I was expecting there to be a few retcons to Kotor 2 considering the ending and the supposed "hatred" of it by "fans" but this is worse than I ever expected.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Wait, so they're just outright stealing plot elements from The Sith Lords and then retconning it to pretend they came up with them instead? You'd think that a developer who claims to be all about narrative would instead be able to create an interesting and original plot that integrates well with both games rather than just hand-waving everything... what fucking hacks. Then again, I guess this isn't a surprise after the whole "we can resurrect characters you killed off for no good reason" thing. Why the fuck even bother with story in the first place if you're just going to ruin it and go back to square one the next game anyway?

And yeah, on top of that, The Sith Lords is probably one of the best pieces of fiction in the Star Wars canon and one of the few that actually looks at Star Wars intelligently rather than just being bullshit ego stroking, fan service, crap for kids, and pandering. Why build on one of the best things you can have when you can make another extended ripoff of the original trilogy and sell it for $15 a month?

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
sgc_meltdown said:
seriously this is on par with run of the mill freeform 'forum roleplaying' drivel where some jackass comes in and goes OH YEAH AND IT TURNS OUT THAT THIS IS THE TRUTH

Reminds me of something else

I wonder what

corvus

Arcane
sea said:
And yeah, on top of that, The Sith Lords is probably one of the best pieces of fiction in the Star Wars canon and one of the few that actually looks at Star Wars intelligently rather than just being bullshit ego stroking, fan service, crap for kids, and pandering. Why build on one of the best things you can have when you can make another extended ripoff of the original trilogy and sell it for $15 a month?

I just installed the game again and was searching for Codex Approved Consensus™ on the restored content mod, and found this lovely post:

Serious_Business said:
I've been playing this in the last 1-2 months, finally finished it, I just want to say that it's definitively worth it. If only for the writing. Well, last time I played this was 5 years ago, so I can't exactly say what the patch restored, but I know I don't have a bitter taste in my mouth this time.

The gameplay is still horrid and way too easy of course, but I really want to emphasize the writing. I just re-read VD's interview with MCA, he (VD) basically commented that the story was about finding 4 jedi masters and killing the bad guy, but VD has the culture and sensibility of my balls, so fuck him (MCA pretty much ignored him and probably thought the same thing as I do, oh yeah). It's really something else, especially if you're willing to change 'Force' with 'God', 'Darth Nihilus' with 'nihilism', and 'exile' with 'lucidity' in most of the script, then you're up for something. Espcially if you're not the type of asshole that thinks he's brilliant and knows everything about everything. Now this is the Codex so there's slim chances next to none that you're not that kind of person, but yeah, I'd say this is on the level of Torment, easily enough. I'm wondering what are MCA's influences, I'm not sure if he's well-read or not, but he sure has a sensibility that shows in his writing. I wouldn't let the Star Wars bullshit get to you, it doesn't matter, MCA rapes the setting anyway and for the good cause. I like the original movies like anyone else, they're fun, and like anyone else I don't like the prequels. But I don't care about any of them. This however is serious shit, it's serious star wars shit man, for me it's probably the only thing that's worth it. Compared this to the first game, it's totally another world, I love the contrast with Bioware's weak and obvious shit, I could write an essay on that, fuck.

I'm serious, this is now probably one of my favourite rpgs. I mean the gameplay in Torment was shit, so there's no reason why this can't be considered too. Anyway fuck you I'm a pretentious faggot who thinks the writing and characters is the most important thing in a game, yeah, I should be reading a book instead I know, but this was still a pretty cool experience. MCA is my rpg hero, I mean really, really my hero. Sucks with what is happening with AP, but I'll have to see it for myself, I guess

I have a similar mindset as this, and now that I know it has the Serious_Business stamp of approval I'm going to dive right in with enthusiasm :thumbsup:

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Serious_Business said:

I wonder what

tell me more friend business

corvus said:
now that I know it has the Serious_Business stamp of approval I'm going to dive right in with enthusiasm :thumbsup:

my hardbitten iconoclastic bro SB would probably call you a manboy for even caring what he thinks

with rpg opinions one should wander lonely as a rhino

corvus

Arcane
sgc_meltdown said:
my hardbitten iconoclastic bro SB would probably call you a manboy for even caring what he thinks

I know and that's why I like his posts :love:

with rpg opinions one should wander lonely as a rhino

Bro you don't even know me, I love Morrowind and the only other person who does is that :smug:-abuser DraQ so that's close enough

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
corvus said:
Bro you don't even know me, I love Morrowind and the only other person who does is that :smug:-abuser DraQ so that's close enough
corvus attempts Codex lore check.

corvus rolls 1.

CRITICAL FAILURE.

(also, while I would like to think I abuse the smug smiley too, I really can't compete with DraQ. But then he's a natural with it)

GreyViper

Prophet
sgc_meltdown said:
Serious_Business said:

I wonder what

tell me more friend business
One thing that comes to mind is the whole Frank Herbert Dune retcon, by the new authors.

Still about the original topic, yes its stupid but then again it was stupid how Lucas decided that Exile was supposed to be woman cutting out half the handmaiden stuff. But wow, the things they replaced with is so stupid that its not worth the effort to even care and just let it die.

Sacculina

Educated
They can recon all they want, The Sith Lords was never a Star Wars game. It's not remotely :retarded: enough for that universe. But this is the first time BioWare's done anything to earn my hate--not irritation, not disdain, not contempt, but hate.
Fucking with :mca: is just not on.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Ever asked why Kotor 2 isn't on Steam, while Kotor 1 is?

LA/EA/BIO don't wanna have Obsidian in the picture. They want them to be non-existant. Like they never made the game. This is nothing personal of course, just game business as usual.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
I petition for a change of thread title

Reason: "Empire strikes back" was the best Star Wars Movie and the only Star Wars related media that attempted to explore "The Force" till KOTOR2.

We shouldn't waste it on subsubhumans like Bioware.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Re: Bioware strikes back. With shit!

Captain Shrek said:
contact@drewkarpyshyn.com to tell him he's an asshole
Drew.jpg

Drew looks uncannily similar to a Hutt.

GreyViper

Prophet
Morgoth said:
Ever asked why Kotor 2 isn't on Steam, while Kotor 1 is?

LA/EA/BIO don't wanna have Obsidian in the picture. They want them to be non-existant. Like they never made the game. This is nothing personal of course, just game business as usual.
Now this piqued my intrest, has this anything to do that Obsidian did FNV for Beth and it did turn out better then the subcontracts they did for Bio? Altough I could see this comming from EA since I think they see Beth as rival.

Stinger

Arcane
IronicNeurotic said:
I petition for a change of thread title

Reason: "Empire strikes back" was the best Star Wars Movie and the only Star Wars related media that attempted to explore "The Force" till KOTOR2.

We shouldn't waste it on subsubhumans like Bioware.

The Bioware Menace - Revenge of the Shit.

Now this piqued my intrest, has this anything to do that Obsidian did FNV for Beth and it did turn out better then the subcontracts they did for Bio? Altough I could see this comming from EA since I think they see Beth as rival.

It's probably more to do with the percieved 'hatred' of Kotor 2 than some elaborate conspiracy/rivalry against Obsidian. LucasArts also took a lot of flack for rushing Kotor 2 to Christmas so they probably want to put that behind them.

Stinger

Arcane
According to Google translate the article mentions that LA is hiring for an Open world RPG that may or may not be Kotor 3. And that Obsidian may collaborating.

That...doesn't make sense, wouldn't Kotor 3 compete with SWTOR? Especially when a lot of SWTOR's 'appeal' has been as a continuation of the series and a lot of people interested in SWTOR really just want Kotor 3.

Also...why would Obsidian collaborate after Drew Krappyshynn and Bio just pissed all over their game.

Yeah, that's probably not true. LA might be making an Open World game but it's highly unlikely to be Kotor 3.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Vaarna_Aarne said:
EDIT: Btw Skyway, since you only replay KotOR1 over and over again, you may have missed that the game actually berates you for choosing to save Madison instead of the tourists, since it's an extremely selfish and ultimately downright evil choice to make.

EDIT2: In a Bioware game, the choice to save Madison would have saved the tourists as well. And you'd have a "lol I'm evil so I'm not saving anyone" choice as well.
Did you even pay attention to the endings?
Save Madison: She becomes an anti-terrorism activist, e'rybody happy.
Save the muesum (the few stranded tourists were a compromise and never meant to be important): The Kwa passes a new Patriot Act, fear everywhere.
Funnily enough, this was the complete opposite of Patrick K Mills's original intent. And they also had that "lol I'm evil so I'm not saving anyone" choice in Brayko's mansion when you can shoot your captured partner for no particular reason. Absurdian gonna absurd.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom