Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness - Tales of the Moon Cult expansion on the way

Codex Year of the Donut
fyi if someone says they have too much money it means they're playing on an easy difficulty because prices(sell+buy) are tied to difficulty
everything sells for half as much as costs 2x as much on the highest difficulty iirc

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'm with a bit of troubles in chapter 5.

When I sided with
Deron guild

The problem is not the battle itself. Is that I can't save after the long loading screen and the RETARDED npc's send to help me mindless rush towards the enemy and make impossible to use my best spells(AoE/CC) otherwise I kill my allies. There is a mage which stuns and summons lot of nasty creatures(changed to veteran difficulty) and I can't kill him due the fact that friendly NPC's won't let me do it. They alsoi target my low hp mages and I don't wanna to lose anyone. Seriously. This battle would be a cakewalk without NPC's helping but I already failed 4 times. IS annoying to have a dialog, a very long loading screen, another dialog and be unable to save cuz NPC's must mindless rush towards the enemy before I can nuke then...

If a DEV is reading this(unlikely), please. Let me save after dialog and say to Lord blythe to hold his forces. That would make this part exponentially better.

Codex Year of the Donut
I warned them that the slow loading times would destroy them in reviews but they were adamant that it could not be fixed -- something I disagreed with, they were just unwilling to put in the effort needed to fix them.
It's definitely "the issue" of the game IMO.

Loading times are a Unity engine issue, the Pathfinder CRPGs had the same problem. There is no fix other than not using Unity in the first place. Closest thing the Pathfinder games has is cleaner mod that got rid of all the junk.

It's pretty weird, im about 10 hours into the game and still have very quick loading screens. I have version from Steam.
Your loading times may be fast now, but mark my words the farther along you go the longer they'll be and the larger your save file will be. In Kingmaker my saves were over 80MB each by the time I beat the game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Loading times are a Unity engine issue, the Pathfinder CRPGs had the same problem. There is no fix other than not using Unity in the first place. Closest thing the Pathfinder games has is cleaner mod that got rid of all the junk.

Your loading times may be fast now, but mark my words the farther along you go the longer they'll be and the larger your save file will be. In Kingmaker my saves were over 80MB each by the time I beat the game.

Wasteland 3's loading times and save file sizes are fine. It's not impossible, it just requires a lot of work.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yes, seems like unity engine games have a problem with loading.

Anyway, I'm close to complete the game and far way from lvling up and getting tier 7 spells. I wanna see the strongest games which the game have.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Dungeoneering in this game is p. fun.

The ambience and music are nice when in the mines, for example. So far things seem to make some amount of sense, as far as why they'd be there, and, while obviously quite simple in nature, the quests and overall feel are a welcome throwback to before games like BG3 and D:OS 2 made us forget what a good, old-fashioned ToEE-like RPG (yes, I just compared it to ToEE despite its RTwP) is.

I'm particularly liking being able to set a custom formation with my thief way out in front, sneaking, while the rest of the crew hangs back.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Tried it, had a couple of long loading screens... Proceeded to uninstall, out of all the shit they copied from PoE, the stupid long loading screens are by far the worse. Not sure why so many of these games have problems with load times

Contagium

Savant
Patron
I'm in the Garden of Delights, and going in and out of each tent is about a 30 second affair, absolutely insufferable. I can't think of anything this ridiculous in a modern game. Maybe when I was trying to run Ultima 9 on a potato a couple decades back. That's the only comparable scenario to this.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
I've been cautiously looking forward to this as a game trying seriously to be in the vein of the original Baldur's Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast, my favorites of the series.
Anyway, I just booted it up to make a character for the first time, and made a surprising discovery. There's no moustache option. Hungarians are supposed to be fellow growers of the moustache! At least back in the day when the graphics were pixelated you could use your imagination for that kind of thing.

Last edited:

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
I'm in the Garden of Delights, and going in and out of each tent is about a 30 second affair, absolutely insufferable. I can't think of anything this ridiculous in a modern game. Maybe when I was trying to run Ultima 9 on a potato a couple decades back. That's the only comparable scenario to this.

This place was such a disappointment considering every tent (except middle one) had practically nothing in them at least in EA.

Anyone else reached end game (post EA areas)? Just want to confirm how retarded I'm because I found encounters very challenging. Also if Im not wrong there are only 2 new significant areas compared to EA in full game (1 dungeon + final area)

Sharpedge

Prophet
I was planning to try and finish the game before forming an opinion on it, but I have had the main quest break now (a cutscene that doesn't play out properly, all of the actors within it are just frozen) and I have played what I assume is a fair amount of it (I am level 16), so I will comment on what I have seen so far.

+ The backgrounds for areas look good and are sometimes reminiscent of IWD and BG.
+ The story does not annoy me. Whilst I can't say its memorable, I can read through it without actively wanting to drive nails through my eyes, which is more than I can say for the writing in most modern RPGs.
+ The greed system was somewhat interesting. I deliberately played into it to see how "bad" it would become, being an obnoxious asshole always demanding more money. Bezos would have been proud of me. If there was anything worthwhile purchasing from shops, then going this route would have been extremely punishing as prices shot up a great deal, unfortunately all the gear in shops is, by my reckoning pretty damn bad and the only time I had any incentive to buy anything was when quests demanded me to buy items to turn in.

- The load times between zones are awful. This is the worst aspect of the game.
- The character models are poor and contrast badly against the background.
- The combat is piss easy. The last major fight I did, I started combat, walked out of the room, made myself something to eat and came back with the fight finished. I was literally able to let the AI auto attacking resolve the "boss fight." This is on the hardest difficulty by the way. I would say I spent 90% of my time in combat reading books on my 2nd monitor while I play, simply because there is nothing interesting about the combat in this game which truly requires player involvement once you have constructed a semi decent character.
- There is not much variety in terms of spells. I am willing to give them a pass here considering they are trying to "reinvent the wheel on a shoestring budget" so to speak, but it would have been nice to actually have a fair amount of magical customization to play around with.

Overall I would say that, for an indie project with rookie developers it is ok for what it is, but I wouldn't call it a classic by any means. The combat needs a great deal of work. For anyone else who enjoys combat in RPGs (like me), this game will definitely be a disappointment. If anyone is interested I can give a more thorough breakdown on all of the different problems with the combat, but otherwise I assume its not really necessary. Amusingly enough the music reminded me of Pool of Radiance Ruins of Myth Drannor, I hope uninstalling it does not wipe my drive.

Last edited:

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I was planning to try and finish the game before forming an opinion on it, but I have had the main quest break now (a cutscene that doesn't play out properly, all of the actors within it are just frozen) and I have played what I assume is a fair amount of it (I am level 16), so I will comment on what I have seen so far.

+ The backgrounds for areas look good and are sometimes reminiscent of IWD and BG.
+ The story does not annoy me. Whilst I can't say its memorable, I can read through it without actively wanting to drive nails through my eyes, which is more than I can say for the writing in most modern RPGs.
+ The greed system was somewhat interesting. I deliberately played into it to see how "bad" it would become, being an obnoxious asshole always demanding more money. Bezos would have been proud of me. If there was anything worthwhile purchasing from shops, then going this route would have been extremely punishing as prices shot up a great deal, unfortunately all the gear in shops is, by my reckoning pretty damn bad and the only time I had any incentive to buy anything was when quests demanded me to buy items to turn in.

- The load times between zones is awful. This is the singular worst aspect of the game.
- The character models are poor and contrast badly against the background.
- The combat is piss easy. The last major fight I did, I literally started combat, walked out of the room, made myself something to eat and came back with the fight finished. I was literally able to let the AI auto attacking resolve the "boss fight." This is on the hardest difficulty by the way. I would say I spent 90% of my time in combat reading books on my 2nd monitor while I play, simply because there is nothing interesting about the combat in this game which truly requires player involvement once you have constructed a semi decent character.
- There is not much variety in terms of spells. I am willing to give them a pass here considering they are trying to "reinvent the wheel on a shoestring budget" so to speak, but it would have been nice to actually have a fair amount of magical customization to play around with.

Overall I would say that, for an indie project with rookie developers it is ok for what it is, but I wouldn't call it a classic by any means. The combat needs a great deal of work. For anyone else who enjoys combat in RPGs (like me), this game will definitely be a disappointment. If anyone is interested I can give a more thorough breakdown on all of the different problems with the combat, but otherwise I assume its not really necessary.

So will pass this game. It had potential..

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
I remember reading on their Kickstarter about a "Stronghold System" and how the player will have their own base. Turns out it was a lie. Or rather a half truth. The Stronghold stuff apparently is not in the game but is planned to be released as first DLC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom