Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Black Legend - turn-based fantasy RPG set in 17th century city

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by LESS T_T, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Luckmann Arcane Zionist Agent

Luckmann
    Not that I'd mind a baroque Elysium (which is kinda funny, because Elysium itself is definitely baroque already), but Elysium isn't focused on stealth, thieving, court politics or occult conspiracies at all.

And an adventure game focused on those things could be p. cool.

^ Top  
  2. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Baroque Deus Ex.

• incline incline x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    We don't need more "action 'RPGs'". We already got about 20 years worth of too many.

• decline decline x 2
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. V_K Arcane

V_K
    I actually wouldn't call immersive sims "action RPGs". They're real time, yes, but combat being (almost) fully avoidable, there isn't necessarily much action at play.
    Besides, you can have TB stealth, like in Invisible Inc (InB4 "not an RPG" argument - that's not the point, and besides neither is Black Legend it seems).

^ Top  
  5. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    "TB stealth", aka "the long way to avoid actual gameplay". As opposed to rat diplomacy that allows to skip gameplay portions instantly.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Drowed Arcane

Drowed
    So, puzzles aren't gameplay, I guess? Interesting view.

^ Top  
  7. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Steam Game Festival demo: https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1094730/view/2774737725592987112

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    If you're not krumping gits, then why aren't you krumping gits?

^ Top  
  9. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    Puzzles are shit gameplay that belongs in Minesweeper and match-3 crap.

• retadred retadred x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    Looks like Mordheim.

^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    The demo is available now.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1094730/view/2774737725592950267

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    ^ Top  
  14. lukaszek the determinator Patron

lukaszek
    deterministic system > RNG

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Nortar Savant Patron

Nortar
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I liked the premise and the setting, but out of the recent demos Black Legend seems to be in the earliest stages of development.
    And I agree, comparison with GW2 is a spot on, considering how classes/weapons work in this game.

Battle system is a hybrid between nuXcom 2-actions and APs.
    Actions don't break movement, so you can move before and after attacks.
    Each turn characters have 3 APs to use on attack-skills that cost 1 or 2 AP.
    There's no hit/miss chances, no partial cover. But there is line of sight - if anything blocks LOS, even an ally or another enemy, you can't attack.

The main "innovation" is that each attack creates an alchemical disbalance in targets humors, which can be exploited for increased damage.
    Basically you have to stack a couple of colored debuffs and then explode them with a finishing strike.
    Enemies do that to player characters too, but you can remove stacks by eating magical candies alchemical pellets.

Character development is bare-bones.
    There are 5 stats:

Strenght - melee damage
    Marksmanship - ranged damage
    Skill - catalyze (finishing blow) damage and healing potency
    Agility - initiative and movement range
    Stamina - health points

Show Spoiler
    The stats are those tiny icons below HP and EXP bars
    [​IMG]

On level-up stats increase based on active class.
    Maybe this could lead to some interesting min-maxing,
    but I have not found a convenient way, other than manual calculation, to tell how each class affects stat-gains.

Classes are based on weapons.
    Looting a spear (breaking verisimilitude it was hidden in a foot-locker sized box) unlocked the Landskencht and the Plauge Doctor classes.
    But some classes can use more than 1 weapon, like the Mercenary which can use swords, axes, rapiers and daggers.
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Weapons provide different active abilities for each class that can use that weapon.
    After "learning" these skills, up to 3 of them could be used cross-class.
    For example, a Duelist holding a knife can use a "swift kick" attack.
    After swiftly kicking some cultists, the character can keep kicking even after changing class to a Mercenary with an axe.
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Gear provides flat percentage bonuses to stats, like axe with +10% to strength and +5 to stamina.
    Some items have additional effects, better armor removes 1 humors stack each round.

And some assorted observations.

After creating 1 character, the tutorial NPC keeps referring to him as "you lot".
    As it turns out at the start of first battle, there's actually a group of 4. But after combat 3 of them remains on the spot until the next encounter.

Other than providing line of sight, verticality has no meaning whatsoever.
    Higher/lower ground does not affect neither hit chance (it's always a hit anyways) nor damage.

Facing is important, flanking and backstabbing deal increased damage.
    As you can move before and after attack,
    the battle looks like characters taking turns to step in, hit the target from behind and step aside, to let the next one in line do the same.
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

Movement with WASD feels very inconvenient and only serves for gamepad users.
    Click-to-move option is just asking to be there.

There is no I in the AI.
    An enemy with a debuff dealing damage with every taken step would keep moving until he die, even
    if he stood next to one of the characters to begin with.

Game balance seems strange as well, as the hardest difficulty removed XP gains and loot drops, but does not affect the actual encounter difficulty:
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Still I can't say I hated the game, so I'll keep an eye on it.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Informative Informative x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. lukaszek the determinator Patron

lukaszek
    deterministic system > RNG

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    ^ Top  
  17. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    These guys keep deleting and reuploading streams:

• honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Hello from the land of Lord Vincke: https://steamcommunity.com/games/1094730/announcements/detail/2917730185246126672

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Extensive video:

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    The demo is back: https://steamcommunity.com/games/1094730/announcements/detail/2887333424791297701

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  22. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/1094730/announcements/detail/3024700820931834734

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron

^ Top  
  24. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    When in the game will you be able to link up with the Swedish army?

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Release date - March 25th:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1094730/view/3023575557516691389

Also more lore: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1094730/view/3024700820939226349

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.