Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Blackguards Chapter 3 Now Available on Steam Early Access

fastjack

Augur
But you know, honestly, I think what annoyed me the most about this article is something I've mentioned in the rant, too - the "sloppy translation" part. Not only because it is a blatant and shameless lie, but because it's a typical lazy mind trick - it's not backed by anything, and is largely intangible and opaque. You can't look over screens or something and determine whether that translation really is botched, so you gotta rely on that idiot's opinion, who also gets "default cred" because he's a "native speaker" (as if that ever meant anything), and he is most likely absolutely aware of that.

So hey, *snorts cocaine*, let's look over the list of things I called boring and shit, hmmm, it would look nice with another point, AH, of course, it's a German game so let's mention bad translation! You are a genius, Alec! *scribbles down another sentence, hits submit, masturbates furiously over his wit and criticism*

While it may not be as poorly translated as a typical russian game (for instance) the translation is far from perfect. The writing in the game is clearly not the work of a native english speaker and that does put a certain distance between the player and the story/characters. It isn't the first game I've played that had this quality (Drakensang comes to mind) and I'm not sure how to describe it myself except as unnatural.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I haven't played the game, but that is truly awful.

I like the fact that RPS is snarky, but too often snarky seems to take over any modicum of analysis or fairness. And when that happens, you're worse than IGN.

Its common with all journalists they need to be nice and avoid major criticism of AAA games even if they suck ass so they vent off when reviewing games made by smaller devs.

Murk

Arcane
I don't get it. It's wide-screen everything (at times, to my chagrin) and yet every major website seems to only use half of the width of my laptop's display.

And even when it's already only using half of the fucking screen; they then use that silly threaded response system for their comments turning something that is already skewed vertically to be even more skewed vertically. Suddenly, a single sentence turns into 5 lines.

Why? If everything was going to be vertically oriented then why the hell did everyone clamor for widescreen? Is this a tablet thing? Am I supposed to flip my laptop to its side and rotate the screen every time?

Oh yeah; his writing is sloppy and the comments are full of 2-3 people defending the article or various detractors.

Pretty terrible to get the name of the Developer wrong tho. Professionalism indeed.

Edit:

Wulfram said:
Is the title pronounced Black Guards or Blaggards?

Fuck it, burn them all.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Hmm. On one-hand, Meer is catering to my preconceptions regarding Blackguards's status as European shovelware. On the other hand, I think he's an idiot. Who to believe...

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hmm. On one-hand, Meer is catering to my preconceptions regarding Blackguards's status as European shovelware. On the other hand, I think he's an idiot. Who to believe...
Blind squirrels, broken clocks and all that jazz?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Blind squirrels, broken clocks and all that jazz?

Well that ent fight does sound awful because there's only one solution. Like I predicted, this wound up getting Dark Messiah syndrome.

ben_reck

Educated
Alec made his point, didn't he? That's fair enough to say. As I play Persona 3, I savor the sound English translation and the pitch-perfect VA. It's so good that it makes me like characters that I wouldn't ordinarily like such as Junpei. And I'm daydreaming about Yukari way too much. A game that doesn't do that stuff well (character/VA/plot) can be a real drag no matter how tasty the mechanics/system.

Amidst the sturm and drang, I didn't catch how easily one can skip the talk -- if at all.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Has anyone played the third chapter? I'm curious to know whether there are still concerns with the difficulty level and how the third looks.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Has anyone played the third chapter? I'm curious to know whether there are still concerns with the difficulty level and how the third looks.

IMHO its a bit more difficult then Chapter 2 and 1.

I went through Chapter one while having around 1200 AP per Char unspent at its end, without any problems. Chapter 2 was also rather easy except one fight which i lost out of ignorance.

In Chapter 3 on the other hand, i couldn't waltz through without problems. The Moha-Shaman gave me quite a beating when i tried him right at the start of the chapter.
I did some grinding, will try it again tomorrow.
I'd like to have some unbiased comments on the quality of the translation (playing the game in german), seeing as i can't really take RPS serious after that hilarious bull they wrote about Deponia.

Nekrosis

Literate
Who cares about RPS anyway??? LOL

I have to say that I'm really enjoying the third chapter. The difficulty has increased significantly but that is completely ok IMO because the game gives you enough time to get used to it. I simply love it. it keeps being challenging all the time! I expected that the quality would decrease a bit from act to act in the Early Access. But it is quiet the opposite. Now I can't wait to get my hands on Act 4 nad 5!!! ;)

Nekrosis

Literate
I don't care about fanboy's opinions :)
But back on Topic...
I haven't finished chapter 3 so far but it feels like that it keeps going forever. Has anybody finished Chapter 3? I think I currently have about 15-16 hours alone in chapter 3.

BTW... Daedalic published a new trailer with quotes from the Community (I guess from the Steam forums). The feedback seems pretty awesome. I wonder how many copies got sold so far in the Early Access. I guess a lot of people will wait for the normal release and that the real success will come after the final release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVX78l1tLUg

Coyote

Arcane
The Codex has issues? You’re right!. It’s written by Comic Book guys who like to praise outdated mechanics for a group of other Comic Book guys who have a contest to see who can be the most vile, racist and disgusting of the bunch. Great group of peeps you have there.
I bet this guy thinks Skyrim is the greatest game ever.

Just saw his second post:

As someone who has been playing RPG games for longer than half the staff of RPG Codex has been alive, I have a pretty good understanding of what works and what doesn’t in RPG games. Old school isn’t automatically good, nor is modern automatically bad. But on Codex that’s the standard. Of course, Codex is the same place that thinks Grimoire is the greatest thing since sliced bread…

Sounds like this guy plays a lot of RPG games. Someone should inform him that he might have a bright future in the world of internet poker!

Nekrosis

Literate
Awesome, Daedalic announced that we will get a character creation mode!!! I am really looking forward to this. IMO the classes are good for Newbies but I for myself want to create my own character. ;)

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Hehe, also looking forwart to it.
Also can't wait for the outcries on the forums because some scrubs built retarded characters and got stuck.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
While trading, items for sale show what are their benefits or malus (red and blue colors), but it only displays that for main PC with his equipped items.An option to select each character during trading process would be nice as it could allow to compare benefits/malus for each character in the party from their equipped items

Just found how to check that.it's okay now

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
They are one of the biggest gaming sites on the net and their opinion is worth to shit load of RPS fanboys.

Basically same thing as IGN, though. Their opinions are so bad that anyone who isn't a massive idiot wouldn't trust their opinions, hence people who do trust their opinions can safely be discounted as idiots. It's the circle of life, my friend.

One amusing post in the comments there, though:

Its truly amazing (and a bit frightening) how absolutely stupid the human race has become over the last 20 years.

Who knew that my friends and I were amazing geniuses to be able to figure out and play complex role playing games and war games when we were 10-12 years old..plus we even managed to enjoy them! We thought they were games, for kids. We even purposefully set out to find MORE complex and detailed games to entertain us.

Now we have adults who are so stupid they can not be asked to make a character for AD&D w/o spazing out over having to read or understand something slightly abstract, no matter that a computer with tool tips holds their hand. Adults have the attention span of literally retarded kids we made fun of in grade school. What has happened to the human race, and why is everybody so freakin dumb and incapable all of a sudden?

I'm sure it's about to be deleted by moderators.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I feel that comment does put things into perspective.

The average IQ of gamers has dropped 40 points over the last decade, and has been in steady decline. This has been correlated to the quality of titles and their simplicity/streamlining of gameplay.

This quote came from a scienceish guy.

Nekrosis

Literate
Hehe, also looking forwart to it.
Also can't wait for the outcries on the forums because some scrubs built retarded characters and got stuck.

haha that that definetely gonna happen! XD I'm still downloading chapter 4 as I was in vacation the last couple of days.... I had no Inet.... that sucked big time. I'm glad that the retail version will be without DRM. Now I have a few days vacation left that are solely dedicated to chapter 4!!! ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom