Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blackspace!

What do you think about Blackspace?

• Pretty cool. Smarten it up, add loads more shit and I'd pay $5 for it.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • It's good for what it is.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Meh. It was fun for 5 mins.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blackspace?

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
MCA
Detection upgrades would be nice so you could spot ships in adjacent sectors, whether to attack or to avoid, and upgrades for ambush so your ship automatically attacks the first ship to enter the same sector, whether you are online or offline.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Haba said:
$200,000,000 in credits and about the same invested in the ship. Is bored.

Also, need a better way of buying cargo modules and whatnot. Buying 1K worth of them is such a massive pain in the ass.

I got to buy medium sized thrusters, cargo holds and stuff like that now, don't know if it depends on your ship size though or if DU just added them.

If you want more clicks, you need to get more thrust.

Baron

Arcane
13 @ 13:06:57 -
HELL (Devil) destroyed Administrator One (DarkUnderlord) in -11, -10
13 @ 13:06:24 -
13 @ 13:06:43 -
Shooting the debris, Devil?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
That's ok. I was tracking you myself and testing combat. Obviously it didn't work too well. :)

Did you happen to note how many attacks it took to kill me the last time when I was only a size 3?

Devil

Scholar
Baron said:
13 @ 13:06:57 -
13 @ 13:06:24 -
13 @ 13:06:43 -
Shooting the debris, Devil?
No, I just managed to follow him right away when he left dock at the space-station. It's easy, just press "Attack" in dock to refresh the ship-list below, as soon as someone leaves undock. If he's not fast enough he is yours.
DarkUnderlord said:
Did you happen to note how many attacks it took to kill me the last time when I was only a size 3?
It was fast (one attack I think), for a second I thought you managed to leave the sector. Oh yeah, once I managed to enter combat but after pressing the attack-button the game jumped me back to the map-screen saying you left the sector.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Logged out outside of a dock station by accident.

Big Mistake. :(

Shannow

Waster of Time
Thoughts:
The game should obviously be much, much, much, much, much larger. More planets and stuff to do.
Some suggestions:
Economy:
Planets and mining stations should have certain stuff that they produce/mine. That stuff should usually be quite cheap if you buy it there. If it's a product it should become cheaper if lots of the raw materials are sold there. Random events should also affect those prices. The more stuff is sold to a planet the lower the price on that planet and the more bought the higher the price. Everything should always be tradable.

Ships:
At the moment ships only get exponentially more powerful. Crappy :/ Should rather be different basic ship designs, that allow various upgrades and make the player choose which ones:
EG: Basic shitcan: 1 weapon system, 1 shield/plating/hull improvement, 2 cargo bays, 1 reactor, 1 engine.
Super stardrestoyer: 40 weapon systems, 20 shields, 30 plating, 50 hull, 25 cargo bays, 15 reactors, 20 engines.
When bought every ship design would have the most basic components which could then be upgraded with better ones. There'd be various designs that have different strengths and weaknesses.

Fighting:
Haven't fought much but trying to find somebody not docked sounds lika a pain in the ass. Beeing able to lie in wait in a sector and automatically attack people of certain strength would be more viable. I'd also add sensors and scramblers that give a chance of detecting/not detecting ships in adjacent sectors + being able to buy "intelligence" about sectors on stations.

Social:
Chat/messaging system. Alliances, NAPs, different levels of agressiveness. Ability to pay off pirates. Group fighting: Incentive for convois. Traders, mercs and pirates become viable.

:M :M :M

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
1. Trade enough to get 2000 cargo space.
2. Buy 2000 cubits of robotics at $40,000/cubit
3. Wait a few hours
4. Sell 2000 cubits of robotics at $140,000/cubit
5. Sell all cargo space, buy thrusters
6. Log off

Jigawatt

Arcane
I was looking to pick a fight, but the only ship in open space was The Prosper (captained by Saark) - the deadliest and most inane ship known to man. But I did all the leg work, got my rating to 700/1000, all the while checking he was still logged off and in open space, then when I was finally ready for the battle...

empty sector :rage:

He'd gone and docked on Jola-7

:x

Jigawatt

Arcane
Ok so I finally got into a fight - which is a giant pain in the ass to begin with, and

bpMMr.png

Nw46s.png

KvP9v.png

Uv0Xb.png

:rage:

I guess your ability to hit is a function of your (and your opponent's) mobility?

(Sorry Lumpy, nothing personal, you were the only person I could find)

MCA
Hahahaha, that must have been like two obese guys trying to hit each other over the length of their own bellies. Tell you what: give me your coordinates and I'll send my small elite squadron of alts and you will see what combat is, like a pack of vicious Raptors facing a T-Rex.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Jigawatt said:
Ok so I finally got into a fight - which is a giant pain in the ass to begin with, and

http://i.imgur.com/bpMMr.png
http://i.imgur.com/Nw46s.png
http://i.imgur.com/KvP9v.png
http://i.imgur.com/Uv0Xb.png

:rage:

I guess your ability to hit is a function of your (and your opponent's) mobility?

(Sorry Lumpy, nothing personal, you were the only person I could find)
What are you upset about? You destroyed his Armour! Another hit and his Hull would probably be gone too. :smug: I assume you were fighting a smaller, faster ship and not a juggernaut such as yourself.

Shannow said:
Thoughts:
The game should obviously be much, much, much, much, much larger. More planets and stuff to do.
Infinite and randomly generated. As ships go out exploring into new sectors, they would randomly generate planets / suns / blackholes / pulsars / super novas / nebulae. All space stations would have to be built. Colonists would be transported from The Core planets to the outer systems as they're discovered. Some planets can be terraformed to support colonists.

Donators can name planets ($1 ea) / systems ($5) they discover. :smug:

As the Universe gets larger, new transport methods are introduced. Warp drives, Hyperspace Jump Drives, Wormhole Generators, Stargates.

Shannow said:
Planets and mining stations should have certain stuff that they produce/mine. That stuff should usually be quite cheap if you buy it there. If it's a product it should become cheaper if lots of the raw materials are sold there. Random events should also affect those prices. The more stuff is sold to a planet the lower the price on that planet and the more bought the higher the price. Everything should always be tradable.
You can haul metal / parts to a planet and construct buildings like mines with enough resources and cash. The more mines, the more ore is produced. Refineries convert ore into metal. Farms can be built which produce food. X cubits of a resource is produced by a building every hour, along with any raw resources it needs to consume to produce that output (Ore -> Refinery -> Metal). Their demand is obvsiouly affected by how many buildings they have of each type. Maybe population is needed too and that grows every hour or so.

Shannow said:
Ships:
At the moment ships only get exponentially more powerful. Crappy :/ Should rather be different basic ship designs, that allow various upgrades and make the player choose which ones:
EG: Basic shitcan: 1 weapon system, 1 shield/plating/hull improvement, 2 cargo bays, 1 reactor, 1 engine.
Super stardrestoyer: 40 weapon systems, 20 shields, 30 plating, 50 hull, 25 cargo bays, 15 reactors, 20 engines.
When bought every ship design would have the most basic components which could then be upgraded with better ones. There'd be various designs that have different strengths and weaknesses.
Yeah, I thought of that. It would make some things easier and others harder. I instead went for an idea where you could be whatever size you wanted, only it cost more as you got bigger. Also the math was supposed to be such that small modules became useless for large ships and you were better selling everything and replacing them with larger modules... only I couldn't figure the math. At the moment, there's an ideal power / engine ratio that as long as you meet it, provides you with plenty of thrust and room for weapons (and yes, I know the mid-sized thrusters and power plants need to be re-vamped).

Shannow said:
Fighting:
Haven't fought much but trying to find somebody not docked sounds lika a pain in the ass. Beeing able to lie in wait in a sector and automatically attack people of certain strength would be more viable. I'd also add sensors and scramblers that give a chance of detecting/not detecting ships in adjacent sectors + being able to buy "intelligence" about sectors on stations.
Add the ability to raid planets / stations so players can attack something else. Give planets and stations defenses. Players could explore new regions searching for resource deposits, setup a planet of colonists as their base and then defend it against other clans / alliances.

Small ships should be hard for the larger ships to hit, so small ships could wear a large vessel down or have a chance to escape.

Shannow said:
Social:
Chat/messaging system. Alliances, NAPs, different levels of agressiveness. Ability to pay off pirates. Group fighting: Incentive for convois. Traders, mercs and pirates become viable.
Communications Array. Allows you to tune into a radio frequency and transmit / receive messages on that frequency (provided you are within range).

Shannow said:
Yeah, I was a huge fan of TDZK too. :D

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Jigawatt, undock your fat ass and let's have this out!

Jigawatt

Arcane
DarkUnderlord said:

Intergalactic Newswire said:
@ 10:06:48
Great Scott (Jigawatt II) destroyed Vessel X (DarkUnderlord) in -6, -2

She put up a brave fight, and taught me the extreme value of shields as defence. The fight was over one round after the shields fell. I didn't even loot enough cash to pay for the damage to Great Scott, but such are the sacrifices one has to make to keep the galaxy safe for the little people.

So whats the difference between thrust and mobility? Guessing thrust is how much movement you get and mobility increases the chance of enemies missing you in combat.

Is there any way to disengage from combat, and bravely run away?

Jigawatt

Arcane
Merkwürdigliebe said:
So whats the difference between thrust and mobility? Guessing thrust is how much movement you get and mobility increases the chance of enemies missing you in combat.

Is there any way to disengage from combat, and bravely run away?

This is all AFAIK:

Thrust restores clicks every hour on the hour, and that's all - no other effect.
Mobility seems to be a general HIT/EVA type stat. Those screens I posted show my extremely low mobility ship trying to hit a much smaller vessel.
As for running away if you are the aggressor, it seems the only way is to close the browser [tab] and reload it, thus taking you back to the map screen.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Jigawatt said:
DarkUnderlord said:

Intergalactic Newswire said:
@ 10:06:48
Great Scott (Jigawatt II) destroyed Vessel X (DarkUnderlord) in -6, -2

She put up a brave fight, and taught me the extreme value of shields as defence. The fight was over one round after the shields fell. I didn't even loot enough cash to pay for the damage to Great Scott, but such are the sacrifices one has to make to keep the galaxy safe for the little people.
Yes, I'm now logging combat messages so I can see. I took out your shields and armour, then started eating into your hull - I guess you went off and got repaired and came back, 'cause then I'm eating into your shield again and I note took it out again. You've repaired once more and then finished me off. Looks like I ate through your shields a third time though before you landed the killing blow.

I'm wondering whether I should incorporate damage to ship components. Maybe critical hits destroy onboard equipment or something. Throw in an option to target weapons, engines or power plants perhaps so you could disable ships in battle. Maybe throw in some sort of automatic onboard repair system too.

Added in a retreat button (but yes, a simple page refresh would normally stop combat and reload the system).

@herostratus: You should be fixed.

Jigawatt

Arcane
DarkUnderlord said:
Yes, I'm now logging combat messages so I can see. I took out your shields and armour, then started eating into your hull - I guess you went off and got repaired and came back, 'cause then I'm eating into your shield again and I note took it out again. You've repaired once more and then finished me off. Looks like I ate through your shields a third time though before you landed the killing blow.

Ugh, way to spoil the mystery.

My mistake was buying up big on the 3-in-1 damage dealers before ever going into combat to see how it worked. I had concluded that they were more structure/power/money efficient than separate weapons, only to find in combat that they do zero damage apiece (at least I wasn't missing anymore!)

Also, I went to take away some of my small thrusters to reclaim the power/structure to use for the revamped big ones, but they took away 26 clicks when sold. Oh well, I'll just add big ones from here on.

The problem with damaging components would be that if your enemy doesn't want to mercy kill you, they could leave your crippled, clickless carcase floating in space forever.

Also, you ought to give everyone one chance to change their ship name, or create a service where you can pay for a rename.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom