Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blackspace!

What do you think about Blackspace?

• Pretty cool. Smarten it up, add loads more shit and I'd pay $5 for it.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • It's good for what it is.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Meh. It was fun for 5 mins.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blackspace?

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Jigawatt said:
DarkUnderlord said:
Yes, I'm now logging combat messages so I can see. I took out your shields and armour, then started eating into your hull - I guess you went off and got repaired and came back, 'cause then I'm eating into your shield again and I note took it out again. You've repaired once more and then finished me off. Looks like I ate through your shields a third time though before you landed the killing blow.

Ugh, way to spoil the mystery.
It's ok, it's only for me. I need to track how the combat system is working somehow. :)

Jigawatt said:
Also, I went to take away some of my small thrusters to reclaim the power/structure to use for the revamped big ones, but they took away 26 clicks when sold. Oh well, I'll just add big ones from here on.
Yeah, my advice is to only sell engines when you're out of clicks to avoid the penalty (without a penalty, it's an exploit to save up clicks, sell your engines, fit extra weapons and go nuts). Working on a quantity option for equipment.

Jigawatt said:
The problem with damaging components would be that if your enemy doesn't want to mercy kill you, they could leave your crippled, clickless carcase floating in space forever.
Yeah, obviously that would need some sort of resolution - such as ship to ship transfer of equipment.

Jigawatt said:
Also, you ought to give everyone one chance to change their ship name, or create a service where you can pay for a rename.
Now here I was thinking I'd just create a "change your ship name" option... But making people pay for it...

Jigawatt

Arcane
DarkUnderlord said:
Jigawatt said:
Also, you ought to give everyone one chance to change their ship name, or create a service where you can pay for a rename.
Now here I was thinking I'd just create a "change your ship name" option... But making people pay for it...

Hey now. You know I meant in-game currency.

I do think there should be some way of limiting it though, makes things easier to keep track of.

Kayerts

Arcane
So DU, I can't tell--are you still storing money as 32-bit signed integers? I saw that my abandoned account had its wealth flipped to $1.7B instead of -$1.7B (a lot of promissory notes, I guess), so, thanks for that. Is it safe to go over 2^31-1 now?

Fun little game, by the way. Thanks for making it!

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
10 Wealthiest (by credits)
Maximum Fuck (Legion of Idiots) $2,018,693,762
Relationship (Faceless Man) $1,774,789,486
Pinta (Johannes) $1,605,809,652
The Prosper (Saark) $1,267,715,686
Great Scott (Jigawatt II) $1,245,975,860
star of death (tarkin) $434,052,723

From back of the list to the front in 1-2 hours. Smells like cheatz0rz!

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Yes, the money issue has been fixed. DU learned the value of BIGINT and made it unsigned. Should be plenty big enough now to store a few quadrillion credits.

@Haba - There's a robotics run going on right now. Get in while stocks last! Still working on Shannow's idea of quantities and how I'll limit that to avoid the insane money making opportunities.

In the meantime, no-one has bought a Comms Array. :(

MCA
Structural capacity is a bitch and the prices keep inflating the more you buy. Fuck that shit. Otherwise, I'd buy that immediately.

Enlighten us on mobility, btw. I suspect it only helps with combat, is that right? And are you sure click generation is working right? Assuming Thrust = clicks/h, I'm not getting what I should be getting.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
DarkUnderlord said:
@Haba - There's a robotics run going on right now. Get in while stocks last!

~30 clicks Ahbet-The Edge
at 2,000 sc of cargo
at maxium optimal profit (100,000$)

Still not enough. I smeeeeel a raaaat!

Kayerts

Arcane
Hm, I just sold some spare robotics and went up to over $2.2B. All seemed well until I tried to refresh the page, whereupon I was reset to $0. My guess is that your backend data store might still be treating the relevant ints as 32-bits, even if your application is using 64-bits?

Oh, and when you get that worked out, having the money restored would be much appreciated; if the self-reporting aspect of "over $2.2B" seems dodgy, I'd be happy to have the $$2,018,693,762 quoted in Haba's post. (This is for my Idiots alt, naturally.)

Edit: @Haba--a few hours ago, there was a five-click trade loop with some ridiculous price differential like $80k per unit.

Edited edit: Nevermind about my money; I more or less took care of it by selling off some parts for capital and then trading back up. If you want, though, renaming my ship from "Maximum Fuck" to "Icarus" seems appropriate.

MCA
Ahbet - The Edge takes 20 clicks (but you can do with 19, ending up at -1 clicks if you have exactly 20 clicks).

$100,000 is low for a one way trade. Avoid wasting clicks on anything short of earning $5M.

Kayerts, how much thrust do you have?

Kayerts

Arcane
Right now, 20ish. I might have inferred the wrong growth curve, but 20-22 seemed to be a good target for large ships; beyond that, thrusters and the requisite power will eat most of the space you buy, even if money isn't an issue.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
villain of the story said:
Ahbet - The Edge takes 20 clicks (but you can do with 19, ending up at -1 clicks if you have exactly 20 clicks).

$100,000 is low for a one way trade. Avoid wasting clicks on anything short of earning $5M.

$100,000 per cubit dude. I was raking 200-300 million a trip.

If the same conditions would apply for The Edge-Jola 7, then that'd be theoretically possible.

MCA
Oh. Ok.

I just went on a shopping spree to up my cubits and learned a hard lesson: those inflated pieces of shit with 110 structural capacity actually have a purpose: speed. I've been buying the basic hull which always costs less per cubit but slows down thrust pretty badly. I had to waste a ridiculous amount of money at hulls, cores and TSEIT IVs to keep my thrust at 36. I should have sticked with 110sc hulls, I guess.

Jigawatt

Arcane
Haba said:
DarkUnderlord said:
@Haba - There's a robotics run going on right now. Get in while stocks last!

~30 clicks Ahbet-The Edge
at 2,000 sc of cargo
at maxium optimal profit (100,000$)

Still not enough. I smeeeeel a raaaat!

In the 2-3pm CET hour, robots had a price difference of $80,000 between Jola and The Edge. With 2000cu, that means $160,000,000 / 12 click round trip (+ about $4,000,000 hauling plastic the opposite direction). I saw pretty much all the ships you listed making the rounds

Edit: Got ninjad I see.

Are those 110sc hulls new today?

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
My ship has a very nice name. Give me your coordinates and I'll stop by and say hello.

Oh, sure. At any dock, you're always welcome to come by. Let's have some fun reading Resolution 298 aloud, or something.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Lulz. After a certain size, it is simply not possible to maintain maneuverability. Even if I just bought engines/power plants I still couldn't bring the rating up from zero. And selling 100+ Judson's was a great deal of fun as well...

tarkin

Augur
Wasteland 2
How does broadcasting work? Do you need the Comm Array to receive broadcast?

I'm currently broadcasting at 000.00 frequency, can somebody see it? And does it have any purpose or is it just a very expensive bumper sticker?

MCA
When you broadcast 50 messages, you unlock Advanced Communications Array which shows you if there are any ships in the adjacent cells and you can look (but only look) at the prices on all stations. I was surprised that there are more stations than I previously thought.

Cassidy

Arcane
As it is, selling upgrades as soon as you've really milked luxuries/robotics along other big cash cows and reducing your spaceship to a escape pod before logging off for a long time is a good strategy to preserve most of the income.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Kayerts said:
Hm, I just sold some spare robotics and went up to over $2.2B. All seemed well until I tried to refresh the page, whereupon I was reset to $0. My guess is that your backend data store might still be treating the relevant ints as 32-bits, even if your application is using 64-bits?
Good call. Though I was (int) type-casting it before stuffing it into the DB. I corrected the DB earlier but didn't change the typecast to a (float).

I'll have an in-game ship renaming option soon.

Kayerts said:
Right now, 20ish. I might have inferred the wrong growth curve, but 20-22 seemed to be a good target for large ships; beyond that, thrusters and the requisite power will eat most of the space you buy, even if money isn't an issue.
I like when my math works. :) Basically smaller ships should be able to have very high thrust (I've had 56 tph on a trading vessel with Freighter Hulls) but bigger ships should be slower. If you go weak and ignore defenses than you might get good speed on a heavy freighter. Alternatively big heavy defensive ships will be sacrificing that speed in exchange for defense. I think I've got the numbers about right now.

Enlighten us on mobility, btw. I suspect it only helps with combat, is that right? And are you sure click generation is working right? Assuming Thrust = clicks/h, I'm not getting what I should be getting.
Mobility is a work in progress as is the "to hit chance". Thrust per hour = Thrust / Ship Size. Mobility works along the same principle but also gets the size of the ship subtracted from it and stuffing your holds with cargo also affects it (freighters carrying goods are obviously less mobile than empty ships). The idea is to add "Boosters" as an equipment type you can buy which increases mobility but I'm not happy with how my math is working on all that just yet.

Ideally you'll have to mix and match between:
- Shields / Armour / Hull. If you know your enemy has lots of shield damaging weapons but not very many armour weapons, maybe heavy armour is better. But maybe shield is better for others (I almost took out Jiggawatt with a shield only vessel and laughed as his high armour and hull damaging weapons bounced harmlessly off).
- Thrust vs Defense. Sacrificing room to get more clicks per hour or sacrificing clicks in exchange for heavy defenses.
- Mobility. Not being hit at all is preferable to being hit but it'll be a mobility vs defense decision you'll have to make. Small ships should be highly mobile and virtually impossible for big ships to hit (allowing small ships with a few weapons to actually wear down and frustrate large ships - provided they're happy to attack it 500+ times unless they're in large swarms...). Targetting computers and things like that, maybe even turrets for larger vessels will allow them to fend off small fighters but again, at the expense of extra armour or a heavy damaging weapon.
- Offensive options. Do you want Shield damaging weapons or more Hull damaging ones? Freighters may have very weak Hulls so if you're targetting those than a few Hull weapons is best but then...

I just went on a shopping spree to up my cubits and learned a hard lesson: those inflated pieces of shit with 110 structural capacity actually have a purpose: speed. I've been buying the basic hull which always costs less per cubit but slows down thrust pretty badly. I had to waste a ridiculous amount of money at hulls, cores and TSEIT IVs to keep my thrust at 36. I should have sticked with 110sc hulls, I guess.
Might be time to add a larger engine for all those Juggernauts people are flying.

By the way, obviously making Billions in a day from robotics is stupidly dumb but I'm working on how that'll all be balanced.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom