Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blackspace!

What do you think about Blackspace?

• Pretty cool. Smarten it up, add loads more shit and I'd pay $5 for it.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • It's good for what it is.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Meh. It was fun for 5 mins.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blackspace?

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
So when exactly are goods rotated on planets? I've just reached Ahbet at :30 minute mark, and those goods I was going to sell are gone. Returned to The Core, and this hour's set is still there. Does it mean every planet has its own goods rotation time?

MCA
Kayerts said:
Well, mostly it means that you could have easily afforded protection against dashing pirates with cruel yet handsome eyes, but decided not to get any. My sense is that this kind of piracy is in the spirit of the game and makes things more interesting; if you disagree, feel free to explain why.

$200M is plenty, though. The ship that killed you had been reset from $2B to $0 by a system bug on Monday, and I built it back up starting with about $30M worth of sold parts. With your accumulated clicks, I'm sure you'll be able to turn that into at least a few billion within a few minutes, if a good loop appears while you're on. PM me if you want any help on how to optimize your ship to trade back the money you lost, not that I think you need it.

Oh, and if it's any consolation, I obeyed your request and picked on someone my own size. Unfortunately, this resulted in there no longer being anyone my own size.

You're such a faggot. If I had managed to get that big and strong, I wouldn't pity anyone, I'd crush anything and everything with extreme prejudice without a second thought.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Nick said:
So when exactly are goods rotated on planets? I've just reached Ahbet at :30 minute mark, and those goods I was going to sell are gone. Returned to The Core, and this hour's set is still there. Does it mean every planet has its own goods rotation time?
*Ahem*. Goods are basically randomly chosen based on a seed which gets updated... However, equipment runs off the same seed. So when a certain admin adds in new resources or equipment, things at that station may disappear / change in price.

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
DarkUnderlord said:
*Ahem*. Goods are basically randomly chosen based on a seed which gets updated... However, equipment runs off the same seed. So when a certain admin adds in new resources or equipment, things at that station may disappear / change in price.

The question is - how frequently and at what timing does it exactly happen, without manual admin's interventions? Previously I thought it's only at :00 minute mark. Today I saw it changing at :30. Every 30 minutes then?

tarkin

Augur
Wasteland 2
About stats, how do you count offensive and defensive rating? I'm not in the top10 so i can't even guess based on my purchases, and i would like to know where i stand compared to the top tier ships.

Also, i like the new power sources. The eQ8 fusion is more than enough for me.

MCA
If and when HELL (Devil) and SSN Butthurt (Trueman) (or any of the top 10 most offensive ships) decide to duke it out, please announce it beforehand so we can gather 'round and watch the spectacle.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
8586.png

If the UNDOCK button was here, it would be awesome.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Can you rename your ship?

I didn't know what this shit was about so I typed the first thing that came to my mind. I'm having trouble larping with a starship called PENIS...

Also ran out of clicks 1 square away from the station. :x

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
What the hell is wrong with a ship named PENIS?

It was either this thread or the other one (this is kind of getting confusing) DU already said he was/is working on a way to rename your ship.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Jaesun said:
What the hell is wrong with a ship named PENIS?
Nothing, I guess...

I just hope I don't run into some space feminists.

Jaesun said:
It was either this thread or the other one (this is kind of getting confusing) DU already said he was/is working on a way to rename your ship.
I see, thanks. :)

Wild Slop

Arcane
If you please I have an idea for an item (science forgive me).

The Tractor Beam: "Holds" target ship in place adding X (or X%) more clicks in order in leave square.

Other factors may account such as ship must be X% sizeably larger (or ship size affects advantage/ disadvantage -that kind of thing).

Yet more factors to limit use could be activating causes power surges or its use come with set number of charges (refilled at shipyard)

Defensive Countermeasure Items: ? something that improves % to be not get caught up?

Oh and if offensive ship leaves square (as opposed to hauling back with) or other types of interruption of course the click penalty is removed.

As a meek small trader such things would be feared. Still, just throwing out an idea.

Cowboy Dan

Educated
I was ashamed to pull into any space port until I got my new pair of fuzzy dice. Thanks for finally letting me be the baller I always knew I was, fuzzy dice.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
Shit I ran out of juice in the middle of the fucking robotics trading route :(.

Btw DU if it wasn't mentioned before, an option to have personal storage in the stations and maybe multiple ships would be quite nice.

MCA
Wouldn't both be immense exploits? Stockpile crazy amounts of Robotics in station or second ship when it's dirt cheap and resell at three times the price. The rich would keep getting richer at an accelerating rate.

Kayerts

Arcane
I'd prefer some sort of weapons range-extending systems ("inertialess payload delivery," maybe) instead of the tractor beam, on the grounds that the tractor beam is useless if traders click around too fast to even engage them (which is a much bigger issue, from the pirate's perspective). It'd also make things more interesting from the perspective of other warships, if you could engage enemies at the full extent of your range. ("We're taking fire from an unknown vessel!")

For balance reasons, you'd probably have to give the defending ship the ability to hit back regardless of its own range. So maybe this is hard to justify from a simulation perspective, but it seems like a good mechanic.

Edit: Regarding mobility, maybe a decent provisional formula would be a combination of the current mobility formula and the thrust formula? I was thinking:

mobilityScore = max((totalMobility / shipSize) - shipSize, 0) + totalMobility/shipSize

I haven't plotted it out, so there might be exploitative configurations, but it seems reasonable. The first term is always going to be 0 for large craft. The second term decays the same way thrust does. You'd probably have to multiply the second term by some constant to fine-tune it with respect to the first term.

Wild Slop

Arcane
For (unneeded) clarifying, I was thinking (the holding system what ever it might come in the form of) in the case of clicks would only be 1 actual mouse click but cost X amount game clicks. No frantic clicking.
Something like red text beneath click counter would say CAUGHT IN TRACTOR BEAM or MOVED INTO HOLDING FIELD or MISSILE BARRAGE

Yes many will still get away fast but it would be a speed bump, no?
Like Mutty I found myself stuck yesterday (forgot to deduct docking and un-docking from click range), point being even if (we) hadn't you may always catch someone with their pants down so to speak.
It could be like your weapons range suggestion as well -have a range.
Although with both they should be less effective (damage, to hit chance) the further out.

Perhaps with this in mind the defending ships ability to hit back regardless is less needed for balance?

At this point some of these would still be slightly chipping away at many. But it would probably be prudent to introduce any new suggested machines and adjust as things develop.

TripJack

Hedonist
when you die do you just lose your ship or do you lose both the ship and all your money

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
villain of the story said:
Wouldn't both be immense exploits? Stockpile crazy amounts of Robotics in station or second ship when it's dirt cheap and resell at three times the price. The rich would keep getting richer at an accelerating rate.

Just like in the real world :)
But not if both are limited and cost insane amounts of moneys. like 10 cubits for 100mil and etc and what I meant by storage was storage for ship modules so that we don't have to go to station x to sell the module back. Also by several ships I meant 2-3 max and the slots should cost a lot too and it should be a time based rate like renting. It can be balanced.

Trueman

Novice
WTFbbq?

10 Wealthiest (by credits)
Relationship (Faceless Man) $22,151,834,181
arr (Xavier) $9,199,182,497
Maximum Fuck (Legion of Idiots) $7,983,054,735
Vicky (Exxos) $5,199,081,051
Great Scott (Jigawatt II) $3,706,239,199
SSN Butthurt (Trueman) $3,169,803,967
Grrrrr (Captain_Obvious) $2,573,739,572
ToddHowardiser (villain of the story) $2,166,786,937
Codexon (Nick) $2,055,111,320
Tranquillity (deniz) $1,995,622,198

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom