Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blade of Darkness re-release

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Git gud

Codex Year of the Donut
I gave the demo a spin and good god the controls and targeting are awful, borderline unplayable. I also went ahead and tried out the Rune demo earlier, since it's also cited as a PC game with good melee combat, and it was also lousy (though more playable than this). PC gamers of the early 00s had cope levels off the charts when it came to this genre.
You forgot to fasten on your nostalgia goggles.

Wunderbar

Arcane
"I tried this game and it's literally unplayable because the camera isn't like in moderns games! I also tried another supposedly good pc game, and it's kinda bad too! Poor pc gamers had no gaems lel"

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i haven't played blade of darkness, but i played the rune 1 re-release in 2012 and i thought the controls were fine

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I gave the demo a spin and good god the controls and targeting are awful, borderline unplayable. I also went ahead and tried out the Rune demo earlier, since it's also cited as a PC game with good melee combat, and it was also lousy (though more playable than this). PC gamers of the early 00s had cope levels off the charts when it came to this genre.
Try keyboard only by the way, you don't really need the mouse in this game.

Wunderbar

Arcane
"I tried this game and it's literally unplayable because the camera isn't like in moderns games! I also tried another supposedly good pc game, and it's kinda bad too! Poor pc gamers had no gaems lel"
Most 3d games from that era do have really poor camera controls tho.
Saying that the game has poor camera is one thing, but claiming that it's borderline unplayable, and then adding a snide remark about PC gaming - is another. Roguey sounds like a god of war 2018 fan.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Onimusha is a melee action game from 2001 with tank controls that plays far better than this because in that I can actually reliably hit the enemies I'm targeting.

Saying that the game has poor camera is one thing, but claiming that it's borderline unplayable, and then adding a snide remark about PC gaming - is another. Roguey sounds like a god of war 2018 fan.

I did in fact like God of War 2018. :M But I don't need to compare new games to old games, Onimusha and Devil May Cry are two good examples of games that run circles around these two and they're both from 2001.

i haven't played blade of darkness, but i played the rune 1 re-release in 2012 and i thought the controls were fine

Yeah, the issue wasn't controls, though necessitating decapitations on undead was needlessly frustrating. It is certainly no Oni/DMC regardless.

Try keyboard only by the way, you don't really need the mouse in this game.

Already uninstalled. But navigating the world without the mouse to steer sounds annoying given the tank control movement.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Most 3d games from that era do have really poor camera controls tho.

It's a manually controlled camera tho
No better or worse than your 3rd person game nowadays

Onimusha ... plays far better than this because in that I can actually reliably hit the enemies I'm targeting.

If you're having trouble hitting enemies in BoD, than that's because you suck

I did in fact like God of War 2018. :M

Roguey, claiming that a game with no camera problems has a bad camera but then saying that nuGod of Soy's camera plays fine just makes you look like a midwit

necessitating decapitations on undead was needlessly frustrating.

Dude, just tap your foward directional button along side the attack button

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If you're having trouble hitting enemies in BoD, than that's because you suck

I've completed many fine melee action games such as Devil May Cry 1 3 (on all difficulty levels) and 4, the Onimusha trilogy, Shinobi, and Bloodborne, and I've also completed not-really-good-but-not-this-bad PC games like Heretic 2, American McGee's Alice, Heavy Metal FAKK 2, Jedi Knight 1 and 2, and Risen so I do not believe my problems with this janky piece of crap have to do with skill.

Roguey, claiming that a game with no camera problems has a bad camera but then saying that nuGod of Soy's camera plays fine just makes you look like a midwit

God of War's camera never gave me problems. I never complained about BoD's camera, I said it was the targeting.

fork

I never played it, but it looks like shit for sure (the fighting).
Coulb be I watched plebs playing and it becomes satisfying once you master it, but it looks more like Exanima for example: pure shit.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
BTW, on a serious note, people trying this game should remap the keyboard controls. 2000s games did not have controls figured out.

toughasnails

I never played it, but it looks like shit for sure (the fighting).
Coulb be I watched plebs playing and it becomes satisfying once you master it, but it looks more like Exanima for example: pure shit.
I feel the same. I played the demo a bit and the combat was p floaty and unsatisfying. I can see the Souls comparison, with lock ons, blocking, stamina, dodges, but it just doesn't have the weight and precision of Souls combat.
It reminds me the most of Rune which also had combat that tried to have bloody visual feedback but felt floaty, but I remember Runbe being more fun to play.

yellowcake

Arcane
What a bunch of wankers. I can't believe this.

This game has perfect default controls, either wsad or arrows is OK, mouse control absolutely comfortable. It has the difference that there is no strafing in free look mode but side keys are essential in lock-on circle strafing which is often used. In about 10 minutes playtime you should forget about lack of strafing if you are not a pussy.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
I'll have to download this demo because I only played the GOG version and it sounds like yall are talking about a different game than the one I played

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
The Demo received a patch with following changes:

Update (Sep 28th)
Thanks everyone for all of your reports and feedback. We just released an updated demo and below is a list of key changes. Do let us know if you will encoutner any issues.
- improved/fixed panels quality
- added full screen resize functionality
- fixed Fog Face Order
- fixed FOV while aiming
- fixed leak in image creation
- various fixes from the Steam community (thanks everyone!)
- added -console command line parameter support
- fixed video configuration saving
- fixed particle orientations
- added Limit frame rate option
- fixed various localization issues
- fixed menu that can be stuck
- added mipmap support
- fixed unbindable arrow keys
- fixed energy bug
- fallback to english voices when not found
- support for ultra wide character selection
- fixed sun flare in save files
- added mouse side buttons bindings
- fixed app not responding during loading
- fixed sound orientations
- fixed some menu interactions
- improved renderer performance
- updated color correction

Thanks,
SNEG Team

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
BTW, on a serious note, people trying this game should remap the keyboard controls. 2000s games did not have controls figured out.
Definitely.

I gave the game a go (not the re-release, just the original one) about a year ago or so and, wow, does it feel clunky.
And it felt clunky to me coming from games that weren't exactly much newer (Jedi Knight games).

Still, you can absolutely get used to it and git gud.
The question is more if you really want to.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
People are so used to a world of standarized controls that they get an aneurysm the very first moment they have to learn something unorthodox. It happens all the time with people going back to late 90s titles. Says more about you than the game.

Divinity: Original Sin
I have the original release on GOG. What does this re-release offer to justify the investment? What does it patch? Played the demo and I see no difference at all. It even glitches the intro, it plays in a small screen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom