Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Blizzard game director apologizes following hyper-sexualization debacle

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Has RPS hired Jim Sterling or why are they now ambushing developers and ask asshole questions?

Why do journos always have to be such unlikeable assholes? Like Femnazis?

DeepOcean

Arcane
Has RPS hired Jim Sterling or why are they now ambushing developers and ask asshole questions?

Why do journos always have to be such unlikeable assholes? Like Femnazis?
Gamming journos are high insecure creatures, the shit they do isn't recognized as serious by anyone outside gamming industry and even inside gamming industry, they are just dependent of publishers throwing a few coins to them sometimes and they really care about that. The publishers don't really care about their opinions as they are only useful as marketing tools, RPS are a bunch of cowards, they target an individual on a certain corporation as they know the marketing people wouldn't allow them to answer in kind so they can LARP being real journalists dealing with serious issues, corporations don't care as they are going to ignore the faggots anyway , and on contrary to what RPS forums show(the place is full of apologists and other slimy creatures), most gamers don't give two fucks to this(that is why Blizzard continue making chainmail bikini female characters), what makes them even more mad and whiny. The problem is that like all snowmen, they have a grandiose view of themselves and really get hurt when people ignore them, they really think that being little bitches and annoying people on one of the many blogs of the internet is gonna save the world.

Elthosian

Arcane
To put it simply, it gets fucking old man. I want variety, sexualization is just an complain/excuse to say "fucking tired of this shit, make characters i can relate to".

Yeah, I don't mind about all that social justice stuff, but I am sick of ridiculous bikini chainmails and steroided dudebros, dunno about Blizzard products but in many games it reaches a point where it gets too obvious.

DeepOcean

Arcane
To put it simply, it gets fucking old man. I want variety, sexualization is just an complain/excuse to say "fucking tired of this shit, make characters i can relate to".

Yeah, I don't mind about all that social justice stuff, but I am sick of ridiculous bikini chainmails and steroided dudebros, dunno about Blizzard products but in many games it reaches a point where it gets too obvious.
Man, I find this muscular dudebro and bikini chainmails thing really over the top but the RPS faggots create a narrative where women are being exploited and blah, blah, blah. To them, asking for good sense isn't enough they need to create a massive drama about it for THE CLICKS. In the end, the faggots only care about their revenues and love to LARP being social warriors for the cause that is in fashion like all snowmen.

Elthosian

Arcane

Man, I find this muscular dudebro and bikini chainmails thing really over the top but the RPS faggots create a narrative where women are being exploited and blah, blah, blah. To them, asking for good sense isn't enough they need to create a massive drama about it for THE CLICKS. In the end, the faggots only care about their revenues and love to LARP being social warriors for the cause that is in fashion like all snowmen.

You are totally right on that, RPS makes IGN look like a
monocle.gif
website, even if we don't take all the white-knight drama stuff into account.

Those obnoxious joke-filled articles, urgh.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Their not journalists.They're uncultured gamers with a degree in English and a soapbox with which to spread their pretentious opinion on subjects they don't understand around the internet.

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
Nobody in the 21st century knows what "sexism" really is. Back in the 1940's, that's where women really didnt have rights. They really had something to fight for. Now? This generation of whiny first-world bitches crying on their iPhones because of this? Would be funny if it wasnt so fucking tragic. Anyways... you know what?

I want a game where the protagonist is a vegan overweight dyke with a buzzcut that fights against patriarchy and animal rights. Actually, scratch that. I want ALL GAMES to have that protagonist. The same protagonist. And media, too. All movies are now about her. And books. Even music. GENDER EQUALITY WOO

Its funny because i can twist this whole thing to give it a new meaning actually. Check this: Women are displayed in media in a sexy way, but men arent because men dont have the right to be sexy. Women are the only ones with that right, and they display their beautiful bodies because they're the only ones that are attractive - disgusting males should be covered in armor, since males are inferior. Also, most games have males as protagonist to reinforce the idea that males are slaves and workers while females have only to be pleased. Matriarchy FTW!

Its nothing more than empty arguments to reinforce a stupid rethoric: an excuse to whine on the internet and look cool because you're protecting "womynz rightz". And RPS hops on the retardo bandwagon, oh look guise we protect womyn rightz! Give us views for ad revenue! I'm actually considering setting up a blog just to write a post about this and spam it around to make people question this crap. I can shit on every argument they have.

Unwanted

Sycophantic Noob

Andhaira
Andhaira
Nobody in the 21st century knows what "sexism" really is. Back in the 1940's, that's where women really didnt have rights. They really had something to fight for. Now? This generation of whiny first-world bitches crying on their iPhones because of this? Would be funny if it wasnt so fucking tragic. Anyways... you know what?

I want a game where the protagonist is a vegan overweight dyke with a buzzcut that fights against patriarchy and animal rights. Actually, scratch that. I want ALL GAMES to have that protagonist. The same protagonist. And media, too. All movies are now about her. And books. Even music. GENDER EQUALITY WOO

Its funny because i can twist this whole thing to give it a new meaning actually. Check this: Women are displayed in media in a sexy way, but men arent because men dont have the right to be sexy. Women are the only ones with that right, and they display their beautiful bodies because they're the only ones that are attractive - disgusting males should be covered in armor, since males are inferior. Also, most games have males as protagonist to reinforce the idea that males are slaves and workers while females have only to be pleased. Matriarchy FTW!

Its nothing more than empty arguments to reinforce a stupid rethoric: an excuse to whine on the internet and look cool because you're protecting "womynz rightz". And RPS hops on the retardo bandwagon, oh look guise we protect womyn rightz! Give us views for ad revenue! I'm actually considering setting up a blog just to write a post about this and spam it around to make people question this crap. I can shit on every argument they have.

I'm sure you're the first person on the internet to ever make those points, congratz :pete:

Luzur

Good Sir
Probably click bait, but here:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...izes_following_hypersexualization_debacle.php

A game director at Blizzard has been forced to apologize, after stating that it's not his company's place to address the issues of the hyper-sexualization of women in MOBA video games.

When asked about this hyper-sexualization in an interview with Rock Paper Shotgun, Dustin Browder, game director on upcoming Blizzard MOBAHeroes of the Storm, stated, "We're not sending a message to anybody. We're just making characters who look cool."

When further challenged, he added, "We're not running for President. We're not sending a message. No one should look to our game for that."

On the official blog for Heroes of the Storm,Browden admitted that he had "responded poorly" to the question, and apologized, saying that he doesn't not want to alienate any players.

"This is a serious topic and I don’t want anyone to think that I, or anyone else at Blizzard, is insensitive about how we portray our characters," he added.

Women showing tits and ass: SEXISM!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111

Men being shirtless: male empowerment fantasy, women don't enjoy this at all.

https://www.google.com/search?q=women romance novels&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=OgiVUqj5JJXmoASrzoIY&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=954

:hmmm:

MjAxMi1kMjIxYWI3NTc2ZjY0ZmM0.png

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Hypersexualization:
heroes-of-the-storm.jpg

Are we dealing with the Taliban or progressive l1berals here?

But are there really any women who look at this and cry sexualization? I mean women who aren't obese and ugly? I know ton of feminist Roller Derby girls who dress up exactly like this. Skimpier, even. And they are all fine with it. They love it. I used to be a Roller Derby referee and I knew girls of all walks in life and they are dressed up like they were ready for Rocky Horror when it came down to playing. It's just pathetic white beta males stirring shit up and anyone who has gone outside and met with real people would know this.

Jashiin

Arcane
Their not journalists.They're uncultured gamers with a degree in English and a soapbox with which to spread their pretentious opinion on subjects they don't understand around the internet.

It's all about the fucking money. Their moronic views do nothing but damage the point they are trying to make. Just assholes who struck site traffic bait gold.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm trying to figure out what Browder said that was supposed to be offensive here. I've looked at the interview and all the questions were really innocuous preview interview stuff, until the RPS interviewer brings up the hyper-sexual thing out of nowhere. Then when Browder gives his (quite reasonable) response the interviewer responds critically, and then launches into a rant. I would have probably responded the same way - it was incredibly unprofessional even by game journo standards, especially the last bit where he isn't even asking a question. It's clear that RPS has an agenda with this social justice crap; they even admit it! And they paint all those who disagree with them as savage, misogynist, virginal neckbeards. This is the same kind of shit that Fox News gets roasted for, and yet nobody in the industry is calling RPS out on their obvious bias.

I can only hope that companies see how ridiculous RPS has become, and avoid doing interviews with them in the future if doing so risks being blindsided by having their work called a sexist statement.

Lhynn

Arcane
I'm trying to figure out what Browder said that was supposed to be offensive here. I've looked at the interview and all the questions were really innocuous preview interview stuff, until the RPS interviewer brings up the hyper-sexual thing out of nowhere. Then when Browder gives his (quite reasonable) response the interviewer responds critically, and then launches into a rant. I would have probably responded the same way - it was incredibly unprofessional even by game journo standards, especially the last bit where he isn't even asking a question. It's clear that RPS has an agenda with this social justice crap; they even admit it! And they paint all those who disagree with them as savage, misogynist, virginal neckbeards. This is the same kind of shit that Fox News gets roasted for, and yet nobody in the industry is calling RPS out on their obvious bias.

I can only hope that companies see how ridiculous RPS has become, and avoid doing interviews with them in the future if doing so risks being blindsided by having their work called a sexist statement.
jesus bro, chill, they simply are not that relevant, they dont matter.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
John Walker occasionally gets 3 or so days of PMS and goes on long rants about how horrible games journalism is, so I guess you two have that in common.

Of course what he wants is more "why are you so sexist? Also your game sucks" kind of interviewing.

Dr Tomo

Learned
Like you say, people take those guys seriously, so ignoring is not a good idea. See what happened here, the guy in the interview replied with the equivalent of "cool story, bro" and an avalanche of whining ensued. Ignoring them will just cause them to scream louder and louder so more and more people come to see what's going on. Better to just give the standard 'we are totes sorry about our previous statement" megacorp fauxcuse to shut them up.

EA and Ubisoft, possibly Square/Capcom would beg to differ as this is one of the few industries that your complaints will be acknowledged and ignored with little repercussions. I am surprised that they actually apologized over the usual tactics of ignoring or making excuses.

Martius

Liturgist
Too bad no one complained about obvious sexism in original Starcraft and Brood War 15 years ago.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
It is much less offensive to be homosexual.

Nonsense. Homosexuals are the worst offenders because they are prejudiced against females and refuse to take them as partners, therefore they are discriminating against them!

Last edited:

Servo

Arcane
:)

Xor you pretty much just summed up the entire media, which is why I get my news from Breitbart. The editors there would have a field day with this.

Severian Silk

Don't really care who RPS are as long what they do has the desired effect.

I also wish developers would rely more on writing to make characters attractive than pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom