Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard is not innovative

avalon

Novice
And that's because Mr. Fallout III Producer Ashley 'INNOVASHUN' Cheng says so.

Mr. Fallout III Producer Ashley 'INNOVASHUN' Cheng said:
I must say I am disappointed that Blizzard has stayed on the conservative side in terms of design with their updates to Diablo and Starcraft.

http://www.ashleycheng.com/2008/06/when-ship-runs-out-of-ocean.html

So, he's disappointed that:

* the sequel to a real-time strategy game is a real-time strategy game and/or
* the sequel to an action RPG is an action RPG and/or
* Blizzard feels that the top-down view is great for strategic combat and/or
* Blizzard feels that a sequel should technically improve on the earlier iterations of the series, move the gameworld forward and still present a familiar setting plus a logical continuity to the series?

"what"

Faceless

Novice
Well I've never thought of Blizzard as innovative...

So, he's disappointed that:

* the sequel to a real-time strategy game is a real-time strategy game and/or
* the sequel to an action RPG is an action RPG and/or
* Blizzard feels that the top-down view is great for strategic combat and/or
* Blizzard feels that a sequel should technically improve on the earlier iterations of the series, move the gameworld forward and still present a familiar setting plus a logical continuity to the series?

How is any of the above innovative?

Texas Red

Whiner
You didn't get his idea. ARPGs are as limited as FPSs. Their gameplay is one sided. Diablo, being an old game succeeded in getting a fanbase that established itself merely on the past popularity. That is why every other Diablo clone, though being identical in gameplay, failed. You can improve any ARPG in a huge number of ways and at least Bethesda ads a few gimmicks here and there, such as the child stage during the game etc.

Zakhal

Liturgist
Whats innovative in diablo3? The fact that its the same game as diablo2 except with upgraded graphics?

in·no·va·tive
innovative - being or producing something like nothing done or experienced or created before or being as first made or thought of;

The only innovative thing Ive seen from blizzard is the way they clone games - they leave all the good stuff in and filter all the bad stuff out.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
They're fun, DI. Fun. That's what sells games. Being fun.

I don't play an FPS or an Action-RPG to have deep story interaction and tons of branching choices. And neither does anyone who's even remotely normal. They're played because they're fun - Diablo responds well with our innate hunter/gatherer instncts and an FPS; well, it's just great fun to walk around pretty places blowing stuff up.

That said...

No, Blizzard isn't innovative. That's a lot better than trying to have "innovashun" and failing.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Jasede said:
No, Blizzard isn't innovative. That's a lot better than trying to have "innovashun" and failing.
You aren't talking about Bethesda, are you?

Raapys

Arcane
Uh, how could *any* of today's developers be talking about innovation?

All the innovation in the pc gaming industry happened 10+ years ago.

avalon

Novice
StarCraft 2 and Diablo 3 both feature new/changed gameplay elements. While that might not be innovative per se in the grand gaming world, it's still arguably innovative when you consider the context of a sequel to a series. StarCraft 2 and Diablo 3 don't have to totally shock the world by being Tetris-RTS-RPG-flying simulator hybrids just because.

Would turning StarCraft 2 and Diablo 3 into Tetris-RTS-RPG-flying simulator hybrids work? Sure, that'd be totally innovative according to dictionaries, but would that really work in the context of a sequel to a series?

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Blizzard aren't innovative, sure, but expanding on existing gameplay concepts isn't something to be looked down upon. It is infinitely better than confusing stupid gimmickry with innovation, throwing away something that already works well just for the sake of doing things differently is stupid beyond belief.

Raapys said:
All the innovation in the pc gaming industry happened 10+ years ago.

My memory might be hazy, but I think Portal's gameplay is actually based around a new mechanic.

Texas Red

Whiner
Jasede said:
They're fun, DI. Fun. That's what sells games. Being fun.

I don't play an FPS or an Action-RPG to have deep story interaction and tons of branching choices. And neither does anyone who's even remotely normal. They're played because they're fun - Diablo responds well with our innate hunter/gatherer instncts and an FPS; well, it's just great fun to walk around pretty places blowing stuff up.

That said...

Just seems that you're settling for fast food when you could be asking to go to a restaurant.

Explain to me how Diablo is fun yet its clones are not?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Diablo 1 is a simplified rogue-like. I am not always in the mood to play a rogue-like; they need you to track many things and can be demanding to play.

Why, do you never feel like eating a hamburger sometimes instead of something expansive at some Italian restaurant?

How Diablo is fun? I don't know, it just is. I think it's because of the loot, most other Diablo-clones don't really have interesting loot to collect.

Raapys

Arcane
Dark Individual said:
Explain to me how Diablo is fun yet its clones are not?

Have you actually tried Diablo and the clones?

It has far better atmosphere, music, setting, itemization, more interesting classes & skills, better 'feeling' when moving around and attacking/killing stuff, etc.. It's simply better, of higher quality. Which is not surprising, since Blizzard's products usually are.

Just because it's all fast food doesn't mean there's no variation or quality difference.

Zakhal

Liturgist
Jasede said:
I don't play an FPS or an Action-RPG to have deep story interaction and tons of branching choices. And neither does anyone who's even remotely normal.

Nobody normal likes Divine Divinity? I thought it was kind of popular.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Blizzard is innovative by making a faithfull sequel to their isometric hack&slash series instead of innovating it into yet another FPS BLOOMARPG WITH MINIGAEMS AND GRAFFIX.
That's truly refreshing.

AzraelCC

Scholar
I'm guessing he thinks that Bethseda's better, with their choice to change top-down to first person and all that...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAROFLMAO!

Texas Red

Whiner
AzraelCC said:
I'm guessing he thinks that Bethseda's better, with their choice to change top-down to first person and all that...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAROFLMAO!

If there's is no such retardation as level scaling and decent enough quests and dialogs, I'll go for FO 3 without hesitation. Yes, I tried Diablo and a few clones and they all seemed ridiculously boring. They took the least entertaining aspect of role-playing and made a game around it.

With D3 they could at least have made the combat more interesting. For example you could add blocking, attacking at the right time in the right places etc.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Dark Individual said:
That is why every other Diablo clone, though being identical in gameplay, failed.

Mmmmh, no. Diablo clones failed because they weren't as good as Diablo. Just because the game is mindless and intellectually uninteresting doesn't mean the concept it's easy to pull off.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Leonard Boyarsky on Diablo 3 said:
We're combining art and lore to expand and deepen player's experience of the world. We want to give a player deeper, more engaging experience and basically... y'know make it more emotional and thoughful as you crash demons and whatnot.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yep, because Bethesda hacks totally has every right to criticize Blizzard for lacking innovation when they've dumbed down their own franchise with each new game.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Dark Individual said:
For example you could add blocking, attacking at the right time in the right places etc.

The berserker and shield-carrying skeleton enemy types do that, don't they?

Zakhal

Liturgist
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Yep, because Bethesda hacks totally has every right to criticize Blizzard for lacking innovation when they've dumbed down their own franchise with each new game.

Isnt that usually part of the process of making games for the mass? Simple is the trend now even. If you wanna sell millions you need to dumb down the game. Diablo itself is a simple game - I doubt they could even make it any more simple.

If people buy ten million copies of diablo/oblivion then thats propably the kind or rpgs people want - simple 2D/3D action-rpgs. Game companies are just trying to give them what they want.

AzraelCC

Scholar
The kamikazee enemies in D2 was an attempt at expanding from the mindless hack and slash. Unfortunately, it only applies if you're encountering them at the right level. When you're way above their level, you don't have to hit and run anymore, because the damage is insignificant.

The skeletons blocking and requiring specific skills to counter them is a good start though. It also shows blizzard's strength--streamlining and recognizing weaknesses of established genres.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom