Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BLOBERT liberation front

MapMan

Arcane
Generally I'm against any kind of bans on the codex with a couple of exceptions. Level of discussion shouldn't be enforced by mods. If someone makes three posts in a row, all consisting of one liners then simply ignore him if you're tired of his bullshit. Its not a reason to ban. I always thought of the codex as a forum where you could say "your opinion sucks and you're a moran" and no one would bitch about it. If we start banning people for (by some considered as) stupid posts then how are different from rpgnews(or whatever it was called) and gamefaqs?

racofer

Thread Incliner
MapMan said:
Generally I'm against any kind of bans on the codex with a couple of exceptions. Level of discussion shouldn't be enforced by mods. If someone makes three posts in a row, all consisting of one liners then simply ignore him if you're tired of his bullshit. Its not a reason to ban. I always thought of the codex as a forum where you could say "your opinion sucks and you're a moran" and no one would bitch about it. If we start banning people for (by some considered as) stupid posts then how are different from rpgnews(or whatever it was called) and gamefaqs?

Your opinion sucks and you're a moran.

MapMan

Arcane
FUCK YEAH

BTW: racofer is a typical btard. Its clearly seen in most of his posts. He also often shoops shit for the lulz.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
you know what would improve the place a lot? a script that bans all active accounts in a random order for 1 to 7 days, with up to three or four people banned per day.

Shannow

Waster of Time
For what it's worth, I think DU and the rest of the staff are doing fantastic work. They've earned every cent they get from us.

That said:
ONLY HOS BAN BROS!

I've ignored blobby anyway...

DraQ

Arcane
MapMan said:
Level of discussion shouldn't be enforced by mods.
It does fail to be enforced by the community, so I take it as another way of saying "level of discussion shouldn't be enforced." which is all fine if we don't want to have any level of discussion, which would also happen to make all the derison directed at TESF's stupidity rather moronic, as between its mostly overwhelmingly idiotic userbase, and discourse-killing nazi moderators, meaningful discussions sometimes do take place there.

I always thought of the codex as a forum where you could say "your opinion sucks and you're a moran" and no one would bitch about it.
As it should be - as long as saying "your opinion sucks and you're a moran" isn't your exclusive activity here, and as long as you can show that your doesn't and you aren't, when required to, or quietly suck it up when proven stupid yourself.

If we start banning people for (by some considered as) stupid posts then how are different from rpgnews(or whatever it was called) and gamefaqs?
Because we shouldn't start banning people for stupid posts, we should ban people for the lack of smart ones.

It's good to be different from TESF and gayfags, but only if you manage to stay different from 4chan as well.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
It's good to be different from TESF and gayfags, but only if you manage to stay different from 4chan as well.
We should have this or a variant as the new Codex motto.

"We're not TESF, but that doesn't mean we're 4chan"

"Not Gayfags, not 4chan. THIS. IS. RPGCODEX"

or something to that effect.

FeelTheRads said:
He's played a TON of games and he has very set (and usually interesting) opinions about them. He just chooses to deliver these opinions in an unusual way.

Huh? His act is to satirize the Codex, and mostly skyway. But maybe I missed his posts with real opinions.

He does have them. In fact, he posted actual...content on the "1st rpg screenshots" thread.

Also, lol @ all the "unintelligible" complaints. O noes a few letters changed places, my aspie brain cannot process those words anymore

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
mondblut said:
Problem is, there is a clear public disagreement on whether the individual in question is an exemplary of "thought out, non-trivial and well argumented, or at least witty observations", or never posted anything worthwhile.
Pretty much this. I can't deny that banning people that some people say should be banned only to generate threads like this to show that other people don't want them to be banned, then sitting back and watching two halves of the Codex turn on itself, factors into my decisions.

That's awkwardly worded. Let me try again: Sometimes I ban people knowing it will stir shit up, just so I can see what floats.

Again, part of the reason for thread voting. A way of working out where the masses sit if you like but also a chance for others to clearly see which way a thread is going, and then not be too surprised if it ends up somewhere like Retardo Land.

I have been mulling over more "social networking" features of late, with something like a karma feature - but more specifically a "vote to ban this user". Activity wise, the Codex is reaching quite insane levels, so if it could somehow be made self-moderating, it'd save us the usual problems you get with moderators... but potentially creates a whole new unique set of problems.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DarkUnderlord said:
I have been mulling over more "social networking" features of late, with something like a karma feature - but more specifically a "vote to ban this user".
:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:
:decline: :decline: :decline: :decline: :decline: :decline: :decline:
:codexrage: :codexrage: :codexrage: :codexrage: :codexrage: :codexrage:

Please tell me you were joking.

pipka

Savant
DarkUnderlord said:
I have been mulling over more "social networking" features of late, with something like a karma feature - but more specifically a "vote to ban this user". Activity wise, the Codex is reaching quite insane levels, so if it could somehow be made self-moderating, it'd save us the usual problems you get with moderators... but potentially creates a whole new unique set of problems.
CODEX: where everyone has negative karma.
No exceptions.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
I'm not joking. Was toying with some kind of "judgement panel". You could click on a "Judge" button for that user and identify them as a "valued contributor", "shitty poster", "spammer" and alter that later too if you like (in case you're in the "He started off cool but went downhill" camp).

If enough (and it would have to be a factor of time and numbers) people vote a certain way, the user goes bye-bye either permanently or for a period, probably based on a moderator's final judgement call. Much like the retardo voting, the value of a given vote one way or the other would depend on a combination of total posts and join date of the person voting (that is, people who have posted a lot and been around / managed to survive for a long time are valued more than others).

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
could work if you purged the hundreds of ancient left-over alts first.

on the other hand, it would probably result in bans for a few annoying people who never the less still manage to post worthwhile things every once in a while, which is meh.

Jason

chasing a bee
Things I've learned in this thread:

1) Some think that BLOBERT is a purveyor of cutting edge satire and insightful game commentary.
2) Some think that we need more douchebags. Volourn and Skyway just aren't enough.
3) DU would like these same people to have more say in the running of the Codex.

Cassidy

Arcane
I can see how such a decline could be exploited if the "Obsidian Sucks" and "I Luv Obsidian" factions went on a tard rampage to try banning the biggest representatives of each side.

And that is just the tip of the shitberg. Add the VD and Anti-VD crowds, the skyways...

If this is implemented,

ITZ COMING IN RPG CODEX

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
DU is essentially a lazy bastard and I doubt he'd deny it himself. I just noticed his sig, 'Complexity is only simplicity multiplied.', which is a lot of fucking bullshit, by the way. It implies a mathematical reductionism view of the world, in which everything is numbers, and somehow more complex matters would only be larger numbers. But what about your love for faggotry? It is very complex and deep, and can you simply put a number on it? Can you put numbers on feelings, oh dear faggots? I think not.

Anyhow, what I'm getting at beside inane ramblings is that ironically DU's laziness will be the way to a more moderated Codex, if nothing changes at this point. The guy starts to feel the sweat from all that difficult moderation and that makes him uncomfortable and tense, so this needs a quick solution so that he can get to more important matters, like jerking off to the keyboard. I mean shit he's so slow to rise and offend I could spend this entire post insulting him and it'd fly over his head, but if I did I spammed it then suddently it would become an offense. Why? Not because of the insults, but because he'd have lost time skimming over my posts and that would be too much exercice, and that would invoke a deep and well-seated annoyance in him (the only emotion this man knows and harneses daily), so something needs to be done, and there you have it. That's how progress works, at least for people who code and think in numbers : efficiency is key.

So yeah, get that shit done, it's time to bring VD back he is vigorous and likes work and being important, so he won't need any of your self-automated banning bullshit, he'll be monitoring this place with his croons days and night and it will be the true kingdom on heaven that we've all been missing

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
SuicideBunny said:
That's why the value of a vote depends on a join date and post count combo. Accounts without a basic minimum posts or that have only just joined are excluded. To get any real value, the alt would need to be created, be fairly active and in that instance, survive for long enough.

You would then need to do that for a number of alts in order to have a large enough impact to counter everyone else.

Cassidy said:
I can see how such a decline could be exploited if the "Obsidian Sucks" and "I Luv Obsidian" factions went on a tard rampage to try banning the biggest representatives of each side.

And that is just the tip of the shitberg. Add the VD and Anti-VD crowds, the skyways...
Actually, a fair range of people are voting threads up and down in GD at the moment and for the most part, it seems to be working reasonably well. Even if one particular crowd started attacking another, it would still need a reasonable range of users in order to have an impact.

... and, you know, mod over-sight would still be there for the final judgement call.

Serious_Business said:
DU is essentially a lazy bastard
Yeah, pretty much this.

Serious_Business said:
I just noticed his sig, 'Complexity is only simplicity multiplied.', which is a lot of fucking bullshit, by the way. It implies a mathematical reductionism view of the world, in which everything is numbers, and somehow more complex matters would only be larger numbers.
Actually it's more that even large mathematical problems, when broken down to their key components, are simply addition, subtraction, multiplication and division (each component is fairly simple; even multiplication and division themselves are just fancy ways of adding and subtracting). It's just that there's more of it (hence, multipled). Take any complex problem and break it into its components, deal with each component in whatever the necessary order is. The final result is then just a matter of doing that for each component until you're done.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
DarkUnderlord said:
SuicideBunny said:
That's why the value of a vote depends on a join date and post count combo. Accounts without a basic minimum posts or that have only just joined are excluded. To get any real value, the alt would need to be created, be fairly active and in that instance, survive for long enough.

You would then need to do that for a number of alts in order to have a large enough impact to counter everyone else.
i'm talking about the already existing leftover alts from poll wars and other shit like that. upping post count isn't hard, even though the system would make it more difficult.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom