Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blood West - immersive stealth horror FPS set in a wicked Wild West

Retardo

Learned
Anybody playing this in its current release version? The game initially looked like a retro FPS to me, but apparently does much more. You've got an inventory, you've got a pretty open (hub) area, stealth, upgrades, etc.

This Steam review sounds almost to good to be true.

For a long time was I searching for a game that would combine the unparalleled atomsphere and sense of uncertainty offered by S.T.A.L.K.E.R and Metro series, with brutal, unforgiving combat and wild west frontier setting form Hunt Showdown, all packaged in an immersive sim fps with level design drawing inspiration from classics like Deus Ex and Dishonored.

PS: Weird West brought me here.

Yup.
Pixelated (but not ugly) "90s" graphics, rudimentary stealth (sight, hearing, leaning, throw stones to lure enemies).
Level design is big maps, locations have some alternative ways of moving (think DX ventilation), but oberall simpler.
Combat is brutal alright.

I like Weird West genre, and IMO they've nailed the atmosphere.

Curratum

I don't get the purpose of this game. It's not full on survival horror. It's not full on shooter. I mean, you already have better options in both categories. The animations look stiff and funky. The guns don't look satisfying.

Sure, it costs 12 eur but...

randir14

Augur
I bought it today and I like what I've played so far. The devs were obviously influenced by Thief, the sound effect when you loot is even nearly identical. My only complaint is the melee combat, something feels off about the distance at which enemies can hit me.

A horse of course

I agree with Curry Tom, based on the LPs I watched it doesn't really go far enough in either direction to appeal to me. Mediocre shooter, mediocre stealth game, a lot of samey enemies, paper-thin quests with the typical souls/rogue-LITE death mechanic to pad it out. I could forgive it being a jack-of-all-trades thing if it were actually a proper RPG like Deus Ex or something, but it doesn't look all that special.

toughasnails

I agree with Curry Tom, based on the LPs I watched it doesn't really go far enough in either direction to appeal to me. Mediocre shooter, mediocre stealth game, a lot of samey enemies, paper-thin quests with the typical souls/rogue-LITE death mechanic to pad it out. I could forgive it being a jack-of-all-trades thing if it were actually a proper RPG like Deus Ex or something, but it doesn't look all that special.
What a wonderful skill you've got. If only i had it, I could BS about games online ad Infinium without having to play any of them.

Curratum

What a wonderful skill you've got. If only i had it, I could BS about games online ad Infinium without having to play any of them.

Ah, to be young again and be able to get excited about games and not see the issues from half a dozen screenshots and a minute of gameplay video...

:negative:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1587130/view/3406436698802709980
Blood West: Chapter 2 update is here!
Take to the Swamps, Gunslingers! Blood West just got *A LOT* bigger... and even more sinister than before.
Gunslingers!
On the 10th of February, Blood West moseyed on down to Steam Early Access. Since then, the posse of the revenant gunslinger only has grown. Currently, folks on Steam have given the game a ratin’ of 91% of positive reviews out of more than a thousand of them. The only complaint was that there ain’t enough of it…

Tonight, on the last night of October, 2022, the dead once more come crawlin’ back from der’ graves to feast on the living with the horrifically huge update to
Blood West
!

f9daf6f885b8228262740e4e78490e17c6ad223c.png

This time players will have to test their grit against the swamps and their lovecraftian denizens. The new location itself is almost twice the size of the original Canyons. The new area is filled to the brim with points of interest, from old fishing towns and alligator farms to a derelict paddle steamer.

The players will also have a chance to run into an old friend as well as meet new fully voice-acted dudes and dudettes who will tell you a tale or two. Tho’ this ain’t gonna be a sightseein’ trip as cultists of cosmic horrors, zombie alligators, specters, and all other nasty varmints will be huntin’ you in these desolate lands.

334a4c96d58d0e9224789acc5b4abe9ea5c10d28.png

As in Chapter 1, it’s better to come prepared. New artifacts, potions, and weapons can be found on the swamps or purchased from those who are still breathin’. There’s even a crossbow for those who are feelin’ medieval.

To sweeten the deal, as a part of Steam Scream Sale,
Blood West
will be available at a 25% discount till the 1st of November, till 18.00 CEST. We have even thrown in a fistful of bug fixes and optimizations for Chapter 1. That's only 24 more hours, so don't waste any time!

1667578230607.pngON WISHLIST
Blood West

Blood West
WesternFPSHorrorRetroFirst-Person
Feb 10, 2022
Add to Cart
12,49€
Blood West

Please note, that this is an Early Access update and the game is still in WIP state. There are some things still amiss in this update, and we'll be rolling out subsequent patches as they come (please refer to the release notes below), but we really wanted to make your Halloween special, rather than wait until everything is perfect!

Release notes:
New content, features and improvements:
  • Whole new map!
  • Bigger than Canyons! (1.5x larger, and more tightly-packed with content)
  • 9 new enemies
  • 5 new NPCs and 1 old friend
  • 5 new types of weapons
  • 11 new unique weapons
  • 25 new artefacts
  • 3 new potions
  • More than twice as many dialogues
  • General optimization, including the Canyons
  • A whole lotta bug fixes
Known issues and WIP things:
  • no DE and RU language versions yet (they're on the way - ETA November 14)
  • some SFX are not final
  • optimization is not yet final
Legacy bugs, fixed with this update:
  • Birdmans were shooting rapidly when pinned against wall
  • Potion can wrongly stay in inventory after use if animation didn't finish
  • Burning sfx from Molotov can stay even after respawn if player died/reloaded
  • It is possible to die with equiped Gold Coin and still get Soul Flaw
  • Key Item sfx can be heard through the floor
  • AI reacts for Molotov sounds
  • Revolver animation glitching when zooming out and reloading
  • Equip animation is skip-able if player holds LMB
  • Fire from destroyed lantern can destroy objects below the floor
  • Humanpede can spit on the celling, and player standing on it can get damage from accid
  • Shaman totem has too short range in binding
  • Boss life and wooden platforms renew after a failed fight.
  • Slider for overfowing intentory won't show up without forcing a refresh on container's items
  • Boss could be killed from above by throwing molotovs into it
  • Removing curse with Purple Revival doesnt cancel the totem quest
  • Enemy from sneaking tutorial won't react if he is triggered during his walk back to original spot
  • Player can get stuck behind Totem and a rock at the Shaman's cave
Good fortune, partners!

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1587130/view/3640628949983196741
Blood West - Chapter 2, Hotfix 2
Gunslingers!
We are loading the chamber with another round of quick fixes. These should keep these pesky bugs at bay.

Changelog:
  • Fixed a crash that occurred when fighting leeches in cultist caves.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when dynamite was about to explode in the player's hand.
  • Fixed a potential crash that could occur when dying right before firing a projectile into an enemy.
  • There is a new, separate tab for quest artifacts. They will no longer obstruct the inventory.
  • Angel’s Halo is no longer sellable (the player could get locked out from the main quest by selling all available items on the map).
  • Soul Flaws and Curses will no longer transfer between the maps.
  • All item tooltips will now correctly state effects when effects depend on a modifier or other condition (for example Blood Bow will now calculate the damage increase correctly).
  • Swamps Boss no longer spawns tentacles in the same spot twice.
  • Detection Meter no longer freezes if the player remains on a ladder.
  • Resolved an issue where some enemies could be heard even when muting audio.
  • There is a round of new character perks available on the Swamps map.
  • Fixed an issue where weapons could be lost when switching them right after the Canyons Boss is killed.
  • Quest tooltips on the Swamps map now correctly wrap words.
  • Descriptions of Owl’s Shadow and Long Jack now correctly state the duration of the effects.
  • Deleting a save now requires confirmation.
  • Added a backup system for saves (auto-saving during rest or after death, preserving the last three states in case a save gets corrupted).
  • Fixed instances where Spirits didn’t deal 200% damage when Glove of Wyrdness was equipped.
  • Resolved an issue where Giant Leech did not reduce damage taken from bleeding.
  • Rougarou will now correctly ignore the player if Rougarou’s Tongue is equipped, even if the player engages non-Rougarou mobs.
  • Alvaro’s Rib did not state how much Stamina it gives, now it does.
  • Solved an issue where Corrupted Liver incorrectly gave a permanent bonus of +40 health and stamina.
  • Death Stalkers summoned by Music Box no longer keep respawning on each loaded save.
  • Scallywags’ Molotov now disappears from the model if it is not available in their inventory. The Scallywags’ Molotov supply for throwing is still infinite.
  • Soul Catcher description will now correctly state how much stamina it gives.
  • Angel’s Halo can now be stored in bags.
  • Under some circumstances it was possible to obtain more than one blessing on Swamps.
  • Fixed an issue where the Buffalo Rifle did not allow the player to change the ammo type after shooting.
  • Some mouse sensitivity settings will no longer be lost after death.
  • Yellow River will now correctly state the effect’s duration.
  • Resolved an issue where under some circumstances, it was not possible to unequip Perforated Heart.
  • Resolved an issue where Sack of Money got stuck in inventory.
  • Tutorial messages will no longer trigger second time on Swamps.
  • Death Stalker head parts use correct meshes now.
  • Wrong notification message was displayed if the player tried to remove Corrupted Liver while drunk.
  • NPC Idle animations will no longer be interrupted if there is no good reason for that (like talking with the player).
  • Corrected some typos in the UI.

That is all for today's update. Stay safe and warm, partners!

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1587130/view/3672159858155364249
BLOOD WEST Chapter 2 - 2.3 Update
Gunslingers!
Today it will get a bit crowded in the changelog, but for the better of course. Some long awaited changes and updates are here, along with some minor fixes.

Changes:
  • General gameplay optimization - Through the power of science and a bit of magic you can expect a 20-30 FPS boost on most machines.

• New Decal system - Previously blood spurts and splatters had a tendency to ignore laws of physics and geometry. Now they should adhere to nature’s laws. Additionally, we have increased the minimum time before blood splats disappear from 7 to 15 seconds.

• Reduced Loading times - This small series of fixes should reduce loading time by 70% (depending on the CPU of course).

• Backup saves - The game will now keep backups of 3 last saves. Save will be performed additionally on each player death and during resting.

• UI changes - Inventory will now state that double clicking on an item will result in selling / purchasing said item. This feature was already there, but we have decided to add a tooltip, so as to avoid troublesome situations.

• Winchester is now a Lever Rifle - God bless trademarks…

• Consistency updates - Items will now have the same color of name in the inventory and on tooltip while picking them up from ground also when traveling from chapter 1 to chapter 2 the stash will keep position / orientation of items stored there.

• Lip animations -

Balancing:
  • Only one today - We have tweaked the stamina cost of melee weapons.

Bugfixes:
  • Skin Collector will flee from the player when beyond reach or when the monster has no more heads to be thrown.
  • Sometimes Rougarou failed to start to consume corpses.
  • Golden ammo could be incorrectly applied to other weapons, when saving and reloading game.
  • Purple Revival unlock feature will now persist after saving and reloading game.
  • Fixed problem with Looter perk and picking up Molotov's from Scallywags.
  • Sometimes additional perks for Chapter 2 were not unlocked correctly.
  • Teleporting with Raven Skull will no longer apply falling damage.
  • Golden bolt and Keen bolt were not applying bonus damage to the crossbow.
  • Huge bags couldn't be opened while trading.
  • Fixed some typos in English dialogues.
  • Added missing audio for ignited dynamite after being thrown.
  • Fixed mis-animation on trigger of the Buffalo Rifle and on string of the Crossbow.
  • It is now impossible to kill Chapter 1 boss by throwing dynamite to the large open cave behind Fort.
  • Fixed Vendigo bathing near the roots of Chapter 1 boss.
  • Fixed sound volume prefix being played after leaving the sound volume menu while in-game.

Renevent

Cipher
This game is awesome, played chapter 1 and finished it but will probably wait for release to get back into it. Really fantastic atmosphere and exploration, only real complaint is I hope they beef up some of the RPG systems.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I ran across this randomly and something about it spoke to me so I grabbed it. A couple hours in and I'm charmed. You can't pick up coffee cups or climb in air vents but you really don't need to. The combat is super fucking harsh, the stealth is challenging but very readable, the graphics are cool and the atmosphere is good. For this price everyone even vaguely interested should at least try it.

toughasnails

I thought the second chapter even better. Locations were considerably more intricate (you'll actually get the variant of crawling through vents this time around), there were more distinct gimmicks to new weapons and amulets, lots of new enemies whose with differing enough behaviours... I liked some of the immersive touches like the dogs who, as long as they aren't alerted, will run to nearby corpses in order to nibble on them.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is the second chapter like a whole 'nother map? The first map alone is worth the price even if that was the whole game.

toughasnails

Yeah, whole other map. Foggy Deep South swamps with dense vegetation. Very much a far cry from the first.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Yes, chapter 3 will be final level in a new environment. Blood West from the start was designed in this way to have three big maps in total.
After that we will focus on some polish and maybe add a slew of new and highly requested features."

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1587130/view/3683432805501405586
Blood West Chapter 3 Teaser
The treacherous Mountains await
Gunslingers!
We know you’re eagerly looking forward to our full release coming December 5th, 2023. So are we! To sweeten the waitin’ game, we’ve prepared some sneak peaks of what comes after yet another summoning of your infamous outlaw in Blood West: Chapter 3!

If you’ve yet to play our Wild West game,
the current Steam Stealth Fest might be a great excuse to pick up Blood West for 25% OFF
... to catch up with all the menaces haunting Barren Lands and the Swamps. And prep yourself to head to the Mountains. How dangerous could they be?

What comes in Chapter 3
If you’re a greenhorn, beware as there’re spoilers ahead!
As you remember, our next stop will be the Mountains. They’re covered with dark forest, hiding loads of new varmints and secrets, where with each step our desperado can stumble upon a swarm of glowing-red spirits. Apart from the omnipresent trees and branches, a
whoppin’’ rift
can be spotted, with even more enemies awaitin’ anyone daring to enter it. And once you do, the air can get a bit more… demonic.
A worn-out railway
sprawling across the location is not to be missed, one can only wonder where it might lead. Both seem quite fitting to the mountain setting
unlike a circus that can be spotted
in the distance. Its presence itself has a mysterious aura, as what’s even going on here. All this and more unravels before your eyes as you arrive with your newfound companion, in quite unlucky circumstances – this new level brings quite a few fresh additions to your favorite bloody lore. Being the final episode, we’ll draw a conclusion to the story of your well known dudes and dudettes, what the future holds for them is up to you, Gunslingers!
Don’t be buffaloed by a dark night in the desolate woods giving you peaceful vibes, as there’s plenty of varmints rumbling around. Same as Chapter 2 did, another installment introduces a new variety of monsters! We’re keeping most of them as a surprise, but with the promised sneak-peak comes an introduction to the Demon!
The skittering sound of the steps of its stilts-like legs are bloodcurdling to anyone nearby.

d792a221e3220ad5f036c1653b401d16bae0c712.jpg

It dwells in places often shrouded in dark vapors that are detrimental to the health of the living beings. It’s known for tirelessly stalking its prey, and, in spite of its size, it cuts dirt devilishly fast. We don’t have any evidence that this slightly hunched monstrosity is an inhabitant of Hell, but we can assure you it can be hella tricky to defeat as it can discharge devastatin’ ranged attacks. Just look at these four upper limbs! Beware as in melee fight they’re capable of rippin’ you to flinders.
During the fight, the Demon also takes advantage of the vapors that tend to surround its lairs.

Even tho’ we throw you into the deep end with all this new spawn of monsters, you won’t go around unprepared as you’ll have plenty of chances to get some new barking irons, legendary weapons included. No matter if you’re more of a gunslinger or an archer, we have you covered with fire-new weaponry.
Get ready for
Sentence
, whose previous owner was a self-proclaimed judge, traveling through different villages looking for those who are dodging the law. Each blow meant yet another judgment executed. Once equipped it can’t be taken-off and for each slain foe you will recover a bit of health.

Moreover you may find
Spite
, a unique bow covered in thorns and spikes. It does not require ammunition as it draws blood from the player and forms it into arrows - so you have to be sure not to overdraw the string. Arrows shot with it defy laws of physics, which makes them hellishly accurate. Furthermore, as you’re struggling to hold it with all its stingy surface, you could swear you can hear a faint chuckle from within.

And here is the kicker,
both of these weapons interact with a new phenomenon found in Chapter 3 - the hell vapors
. Once within their reach these weapons unlock new powers. For the Sentence, almost each shot becomes a critical shot, while Spite no longer damages you when used.

All this and more comes to all of you in less than five months, till then
Good fortune, partners!

toughasnails

Nice. I was hoping for some sort of woodsy mountainside set-up for the third chapter given how we already had desert and swamps (altho I imagined it as wintery/snowy, a la The Great Silence, for additional contrast).

toughasnails

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1587130/announcements/detail/3743111208708951505
Gunslingers,

Today we join our friends at Realms Deep, a gaming event filled with world premieres, special guests, interviews, and much more. For this occasion we have prepared a trailer of the upcoming Chapter 3 as well as a small surprise for y'all.

Stephen L. Russell joins Blood West's voice cast as the main character
- the revenant gunslinger. You may know him as Garret from the Thief series, Corvo Attano from Dishonored, Nick Valentine from Fallout 4 or you might have heard his most recent performance from Starfield.

News From Chapter 3

In our last announcement, we gave you a little teaser of what you can expect in the third chapter. Today's trailer has shown a lot, so let’s break it down together and shed a bit more light on secrets that the newest chapter holds. As you will travel through the mountains with your new undead buddy, you will stumble upon not only old railway tracks, desolated towns and not-so inviting circus tents, but also upon a lot of unsavory types looking to make your unlife more miserable.

One such fellow is the
Defiler
, a scrawny looking type that has a bit of a headache - why do you ask? He has a bat-like creature living rent free in his noggin. Said hellish tenant will forcefully evict itself if its “house” is disturbed - just make sure it won’t find living space in your head when it does so.

Another foe that you will encounter will be the
Hellbear
- half-human, half-bear abomination. This monstrosity has both the head of a bear and a human, and whichever you will damage it will affect the monster's behavior, disabling offensive capabilities associated with said head.

How to deal with these varmints? With the help of a
new and reworked skill system.
Now you will be able to
fan the hammer
on your revolver or go berserk on your foes. Besides these and other new awesome skills, we will be rebalancing old perks and making some of them multilayered.

Zombra

Patron
Adding a voice to the protagonist is a terrible move imo, but if they had to do it, they couldn't have chosen anyone better.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
On sale for the last time before it exits early access in December. So you'd be getting it for about 50% off of what the full release price will be.

Tried it out for an hour last night and had to force myself to stop playing. The game has some serious potential. For anyone who doesn't know, this is much more on the side of immersive-sim/FPS RPG, rather than boomer shooter. The creators cite STALKER as a major inspiration, and it shows in the inventory system and exploration. The title of the thread should really be changed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom