Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bohemia Interactive - the last true patriots, also OA

MetalCraze

Arcane
I don't complain about AI. It's just that some missions have "misplaced" objectives, some mission parts became a little shorter, etc. Especially black ops.
Because in original game the scale was different because you could avoid AI 250m away. You can't do it now. Not blind AI is good of course - it just doesn't fit with the campaign of OFP scale.

OA's campaign is indeed short, having only 6 or 7 missions (depending on whether you failed 6th mission or not, it also has some non-linearity, even though more of a "flavour" type). Also somebody should beat BIS for Zargabad mission. Yeah "moral dilemma" and non-linearity with a few dynamic outcomes is good in it but they failed the urban engagement design completely and utterly. Other missions range from good to very good though - very OFP'ish. Too bad no OFP-ish stealth missions though.

I've tested AI a bit. It did become better now. I took a gun with infrared optics (to better see AI behaviour) and put one AI patrol near the house at the city entrance and another one further down the road. After I fired AI immediately started moving (instead of just facepalm-inducingly dropping on the ground like they did in vanilla AA2). One member of the remote AI patrol came to their help - and while I was killing them 3 men from the house patrol separated from their buddies and flanked me to the right - one of them then got almost next to me, while two were suppressing me. Can't wait for the updated Zeus AI mod.

Also be sure to check OA credits and the running news string in particular - lots of :salute: from Bohemia to the best mods there.

Suchy

Arcane
Oh FFS, fuck Polish distributors... The game will be available in a month due to "technical difficulties with Arma2 compatibility" because of localization.
ffuu.png

Do you know any decent digital download store? By decent I mean not Steam.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Suchy said:
Oh FFS, fuck Polish distributors... The game will be available in a month due to "technical difficulties with Arma2 compatibility" because of localization.
ffuu.png

Do you know any decent digital download store? By decent I mean not Steam.

what the fuck? won't they release English version at least?

:rage:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Do you think your publisher will want to lose money simply because people already bought the game?

Obviously they will but for other reasons (a month-long delay ffs).

Heh ArmA2 folder now takes 24 GBs of space on my HDD, no other game took so much previously.

Also I've finally checked some things and unfortunately AA2 weapons aren't affected by new improvements at all. All those M16s and M4s still have their AN/PEQ IR flashlights not working. A bitter disappointment. Modders will fix it quickly, I hope. Although I do like the new semi-futuristic feel of US weaponry - really gives you an impression that you fight as a part of a high-tech force.

Germany, UN and Czech content is somewhat disappointing too. From Germany you have only KSK (spec ops), Czech has spec ops, regulars and a few light vehicles, UN has a few armored vehicles and a few soldier types but that's about it. The main amount of work went into US.

Suchy

Arcane
Heh ArmA2 folder now takes 24 GBs of space on my HDD, no other game took so much previously.
My Arma1 folder is 32GB, Arma2 still haven't reached it. Will get close after OA install.

Suchy

Arcane
I got it from GamersGate and installed without any problem. Only played through the first mission, but so far so good. I like the reworked radio chatter, it's much more natural, though still not perfrect. Similar to what you could hear in OFP, which was leagues ahead of Arma/Arma2 in this regard. The "new" sound engine is still software though and in XP it's a shitty stereo. BIS again used the same old crappy gun SFX, did anyone try VOP sound mod with OA?

My Arma2 folder grew up to 29GB.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I doubt soundmods will work for new weapons, but they should affect the sounds from ArmA2

BTW how do you like the new recoil and unability to use NVGs together with large scopes?

P.S.
Protegimus said:
zeu_cfg_core_ai_skills.pbo (and .bisign) works nicely with OA - don't forget to configure your new profile!

I've had no problem using the existing versions with 1.07.71750.

I am working on improving this.

Suchy

Arcane
I only played the first mission, haven't tested the night gameplay yet. Recoil feels ok, but the difference ins't too significant imo (I almost always use single shot mode).
Good that ZeusAI works.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
FFS

OFP keeps freezing up on me for 5-10 seconds. All the damn time. I've searched and apparently it's an Nvidia bug, fixed by disabling an option that Nvidia hasn't allowed you to disable for about four years now. A few places seem to suggest that it's sometimes unfixable on modern rigs. Anyone else encountered this?

Seems like a fun game otherwise, though the campaign so far has a bit too much trudging from location to location compared to the actual amount of combat. Ten minutes of travel to kill two enemies, then five minutes of staring at hilariously-animated ally models while we drive back to the village to be rewarded with a fade-out, is just a bit much for me.

Suchy

Arcane
Ten minutes of travel to kill two enemies, then five minutes of staring at hilariously-animated ally models while we drive back to the village to be rewarded with a fade-out, is just a bit much for me.
Gets better later. Also you can use time compresison.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yeah use time compression (+,-) if you feel like moving from one point to another takes too long. Although I don't remember OFP's OC having missions where you had to spend that much time moving from one point to another (apart from blackops, and even there you do that to avoid combat) without encountering anything.

Also you could've used some graphics (or at least animation) mods, because animations in the original OFP are shitty, yeah.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Try looking for DMA animation pack.
The one called UniGen was the freshest one iirc. But I think it requires OFP with ressistance (aka Gold) - I surely do hope Jimbob doesn't play vanilla OFP because 1.46 patch was the latest there.

GRAA from DMA (especially with ECP mod) is a good infantry replacement pack with some pretty nice looking models and gameplay additions - but it also contains some AI tweaks which mess with the campaign - so unless you know scripting basics in OFP to reverse the changes - you are out of luck. I made a more or less OC friendly config for it though, but it's lying somewhere.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS ENJOY YOUR BRIANLESS SHIT FOR PEOPLE WHO THINK THAT WATING A LIONG TIME IN BETWEEN FIGHTS MEANS INTELLIGENT COMBAT LOOLLOL.LOL CONSOLETARD FAGS

Suchy

Arcane
Heh, BIS royally fucked up the drones. I can swallow that enemies don't see the Predator, as it's small, fast and flies on high altitudes. But you can fly a fucking drone helicopter like 50m from enemy positions and they'll completely ignore it. The campaign mission where you use the drones to laser mark and destroy AA positions was totally spoiled because of this.
Another thing is the extreme zoom of the drone's camera. You can zoom up so that small rocks and bushes are visible from 3+ km, but the engine won't render any vehicles at that range, so you can forget about using drones to spot enemies from a longer distance...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom