Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Borderlands 2 is a MASSIVE potato

Castanova

Prophet
I like that "5 Shots or 6" skill. Still not sure which class I want to play. I was hoping they'd release the skill trees before the game comes out...

Quilty

Magister
The style still bothers me. Maybe I wouldn't have had such a big issue with it if many of the textures in the original weren't very low-rez. I think the graphics whore in me gets all inflamed when he sees this: I have all this beastly hardware, and I have to look at a comic book? That was acceptable back when XIII came out. Why do this now? Hopefully the game will actually be fun to play, because the first one I found to be utterly boring.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Kinda will have to get it for the coop.
That said, that's the same thought I had for Diablo 3 and...

I don't want to talk about it anymore.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Everything I've seen of the talent trees has them looking as tepid and boring as the ones in the first. There's very little they did to improve on the sequel in any facet.

Multi-headed Cow

I dunno, they seem a bit more interesting. They're still more minor than a regular ARPG since such a large focus of the game is your FPS ability/weapon selection, less on class and character build. Randomized weapons seem better (More visual variety maybe) than in the original which is promising. Just have their word on more much more enemy variety as the videos haven't really shown that off. There's apparently some really minor C&C system going on which may just be choices with no consequences, not sure. And there are quests you can fail which apparently can't be repeated. I guess. Supposedly new game+ doesn't just up enemy damage and HP, it'll give them different armor/character models, different AI, different enemies, etc.

Not HUGE improvements, but since I played the shit out of the original it's enough to sound pretty good to me. Even though I'm looking forward to Torchlight 2 I think I'm probably more exited for Borderlands 2.

Multi-headed Cow

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/08/29/ign-au-pubcast-plays-borderlands-2

A second hour-long video, showing basically the same stuff only with the other two classes (Gunzerker and assassin). Also IGN instead of Gamespot which seems noticeably worse thus far. Also does the same formula of the game designers playing purposefully bad so Randy Pitchford can say MAN YOU GUYS SURE ARE BAD and then the game journololists can feel good about themselves being terrible at video games too. Pretty sneaky sis.

Also was apparently leaked by Gamestop that there will be a "Season pass" on DLC for $30.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Also was apparently leaked by Gamestop that there will be a "Season pass" on DLC for $30.

:fight:

This 'season pass' bullshit is fast becoming the new boogeyman of this new decade of gaming (DLC itself being the bane of 2000-2010). Looking more and more like something I'll only get as a GOTY edition.

Multi-headed Cow

Eh. Season pass shouldn't impact the inevitable 50-75% Steam sales on DLC. Just ends up being a slight discount if you want the DLC on launch.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
True. It was already a no-brainer that Borderlands 2 would have at least three or four DLC. Unfortunately with the 'free mecromancer (or w/e)' preorder it looks like they'll also nickle and dime us with classes, too.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
This 'season pass' bullshit is fast becoming the new boogeyman of this new decade of gaming (DLC itself being the bane of 2000-2010). Looking more and more like something I'll only get as a GOTY edition.
I dunno, if you know you want to get all the DLC already, what's wrong with getting a season pass and a little discount, too? Not everyone wants to wait until it goes on sale a year later.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's not so much that it's that I think a lot of AAA developers/publishers are now shooting for/feel pressure to produce enough DLC to warrant a season pass. Some of it might be good, some of it might be terrible/overpriced. Still, this is what the publishers wanted -- a way to charge people nearly $100 for a game.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Maybe... but they're going to make the DLC anyway at this rate. Considering we're stuck with this industry, I'm in favour of giving players more options and price points on how to purchase content.

Multi-headed Cow

Season pass is on Steam now, $30 for Americans, 10 euro (Apparently) for foreigners.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/218560/
Trying to wrangle a trusty foreigner to buy a copy for me since that comes out to about $13 which seems reasonable for 4 "Campaign DLC". Buddy is emailing his Italian pals to see if that can grab a copy for me and him, then I'll pay him back. Hopefully that's either not a price mistake, or Valve won't fix it before I can grab a cheap copy.

Edit: Australian comrade grabbed a copy for me. $17 after Paypal fees is acceptable. Sounding like Russian version isn't region locked and is $7 so I probably could've had it cheaper if I wanted to root around, but $17 sounds alright. Since I played the hell out of the first game and the sequel looks better I imagine I'll want the DLC when the time comes.

Only issue is when I try activating it it says "This item requires you own the base game "Borderlands 2" before it can be added to your library." which I believe is because I have a preorder on Steam which doesn't become the "Real thing" until launch day.

JrK

Prophet
I dunno, if you know you want to get all the DLC already, what's wrong with getting a season pass and a little discount, too? Not everyone wants to wait until it goes on sale a year later.
It does feed into this 'buy first ask questions later' ethic that seems to have established in the last decade with preorders and all that crap. For Battlefield3 there is this Premium edition for instance, but so far all the DLC and the premium 'content drops' have been shit. I had expected that from DICE and EA anyway so I didn't fall for it, but it was available a month before any DLC actually dropped.

ironyuri

Game doesn't have enough pylons. Pylon dlc would be acceptable, otherwise, I am not interested.

fixed for pylons

aris

Arcane
It does feed into this 'buy first ask questions later' ethic that seems to have established in the last decade with preorders and all that crap. For Battlefield3 there is this Premium edition for instance, but so far all the DLC and the premium 'content drops' have been shit. I had expected that from DICE and EA anyway so I didn't fall for it, but it was available a month before any DLC actually dropped.
It's interesting that codex is so against preorder "buy first ask questions later" but jizz and throw money like crazy over every kickstarter project, which is the ultimate "buy first ask questions later" scheme.

kazgar

Arcane
Season pass is on Steam now, $30 for Americans, 10 euro (Apparently) for foreigners.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/218560/
Trying to wrangle a trusty foreigner to buy a copy for me since that comes out to about $13 which seems reasonable for 4 "Campaign DLC". Buddy is emailing his Italian pals to see if that can grab a copy for me and him, then I'll pay him back. Hopefully that's either not a price mistake, or Valve won't fix it before I can grab a cheap copy.

Edit: Australian comrade grabbed a copy for me. $17 after Paypal fees is acceptable. Sounding like Russian version isn't region locked and is $7 so I probably could've had it cheaper if I wanted to root around, but $17 sounds alright. Since I played the hell out of the first game and the sequel looks better I imagine I'll want the DLC when the time comes.

Only issue is when I try activating it it says "This item requires you own the base game "Borderlands 2" before it can be added to your library." which I believe is because I have a preorder on Steam which doesn't become the "Real thing" until launch day.

That's interesting as the Australian price is now $40 US.

http://www.steamprices.com/au/search?218560

Wonder if it changed the last 48 hours.

Multi-headed Cow

Yup, they changed it pretty quickly. Was live that night and dead by the next afternoon.

Was able to preorder the game and all future campaign DLC for less than retail price of the game itself. :bounce:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Meh. Only a couple that are interesting like the Siren CC, the Gunzerker taunt, and the melee/backstab tree of that sniper/assassin guy. Nothing noticeably different from the first game.

Multi-headed Cow

http://img1.uploadscreenshot.com/images/orig/9/25601005311-orig.png

Big ol' picture of all (?) enemies in the game. Supposedly IGN review will be up in a few hours. Here are scores and blurbs from a few early magazine reviews.
Games Master UK: 95/100
"Bigger. Ballsier. Bullet-ier. Borderlands 2 is the antidote to stuffy military shooters. Even statistically poor weapons are fun to handle. Underlying physics of each weapon have
been massively improved - guns feel like they used to in Doom and Unreal. Trading gear is better. Gearbox have learnt how to turn off the brown palette in Microsoft Paint, leading
to BL2 being the prettiest game of 2012 to date. Increased verticality of the world. More varied missions. Even better humour. Improved story. 30+ hours main quest. A truly epic
game once sidequests/playthroughs/badass ranks/loot has been taken into account. Bonus (optional) objectives to missions and multiple outcomes. Solo play and co-op markedly
improved (with more populated environments and more seamless co-op.)"

Game Informer: 9.75/10
"Instead of taking the easy route, the studio has taken everything that impressed in the original and greatly enhanced it. From major bullet points like the story to smaller details
like the UI and inventory system. Borderlands 2 surpassed my expectations and stands as a prime example of how to knock a sequel out of the park. Throughout the game, the
dialogue and clever missions display a sense of humor on par with the best in the industry. All of the improvements would make for a standout title even if it were constricted to
single-player. Considering Gearbox has continued to put this franchise in a league of its own when it comes to co-op, it elevates the game to something more. With its unmatched
co-op gameplay, intense shootouts, addictive loot-collecting, expansive skill customization, hilarious dialogue, and insane level of replayability, Borderlands 2 is one of the most
rewarding gaming experiences of this console generation."
From major bullet points like the story to smaller details like the UI and inventory system.
From major bullet points like the story to smaller details like the UI and inventory system.

:what:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Borderlands had a story?
I played the game to the end with pals.

Borderlands had a story?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom